“An Amazing memory, we hope to one day re-live.”
Review of Sagana Resort

Sagana Resort
Ranked #6 of 41 Siargao Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Susan and Gerry made this trip much more memorable than it was already certain to be. Getting out of the hustle and bustle of the major cities and hiding out in small surrounding islands is the only way to truly experience the Philippines. This alone is guaranteed to be a memorable and amazing experience, as our entire trip was. We spent five weeks in the Phillipines, travelling from north to south and east to west. Now back home, a couple months after our trip, only one spot truly stands out as the highlight of the trip. Sagana. From the service, to food, adventures, to the rooms (plural, we tried out two, in what was initially supposed to be a 6 day stay, turned into 10 when we just didn't want to leave.) We couldn't have asked for more. I could go on and on, but think its just better that if your heading to the Philippines, definitely go to siargao (especially if you surf) and you MUST stay at Sagana. Comfortable, casual, clean, knowledgable, and inviting. Thanks to Susan and Gerry for making our stay so lovely.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank michaelrobbins

Reviewed 29 June 2011

This place is amazing,

we stayed in a cute cottage looking straight out to cloud 9...
the bed is comfy and you sleep under a net to keep out the mozzies
the staff organise anything and everything you need, i hired a board for the whole week, my gf had surf lessons... we hire motorbikes, went fishing, island hopping toured around the island... really felt at home here compared to anywhere else we went in the philippines.

getting up early and surfing, having an arvo sleep... what a life

and the food... OH MY GOD... breakfast lunches and 3 course dinners... wow...

Thanks Gerry, Susan, Lilly, Edna, Marni, Naoki and the rest of the staff

Coming here was the best part of our trip to the philippines

Room Tip: ask for the cottage 1 or 3
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank chazwaah
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Without a doubt THE place to stay in cloud 9. Susan, Gerry & Naoki are the perfect hosts and their hand picked staff are second to none. Super friendly and relaxed vibe for the whole stay which is exactly what you want from a paradise like this. The hosts are also a wealth of information for local knowledge and are ready to organise day trips to islands, bike hire, boat trips to the reefs for surfs….ANYTHING!
The cottages are clean and comfortable (island style just as they should be), and fit in with the tropical garden setting looking out to Cloud 9. The bathrooms are contemporary and well equiped.
Onto the food – I can’t say enough good things about the food here. An extensive menu on offer every day, I didn’t have the same meal twice in a weeks stay. By far the best food I ate on my holiday was at Sagana.
You really feel at home here from the moment you arrive, it’s more than a resort, it’s an experience. It was sad to leave, but I left knowing that one day I’d be back for sure!

Ps. I noticed “Barry’s” review – may I suggest Barry that you email God in relation to the weather and condition of the roads (as I’m sure all the other resorts and accommodations suffered from the same problem at the time) At least he’s upholding the Pommie whinger flag :)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank thing62
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Great people, great location, great food, and amazing staff. Gerry, Sue, Naoki and the entire Sagana team made my stay at Cloud 9 a memorable one. When the surf was on it was ON, but if you want to sight-see, scuba dive, or just chill out - Sagana has all of that too. Knowledgeable surf guide, excellent cook, and a relaxed atmosphere - I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Just drop Gerry & Sue a line!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Matt67862
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at Sagana for what I was hoping to be a fantastic surfing trip, but mother nature had other plans! Fortunately for us, we stayed at Sagana and this made the 4 days of rain bearable! Due to Sagana's amazing meals (thanks to Edna and staff!), BEAUTIFUL and peaceful grounds, clean room, friendly hospitality (thanks to Naoki and staff!) and location, my wife and I were still able to enjoy our time in Siargao! Plus, we simply found the people in Siargao very friendly! We can't wait to come back during the dry season and this time we'll even bring our two little daughters! Mahalo Naoki and Edna!

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank Kayaluna
Reviewed 9 March 2011

This is a pure surfers' resort and could be OK at the right time of year for surfers who are willing to pay the high so-called all in price and put up with the terrible access road which tricycle rickshaws wouldn't even attempt after heavy rain. In February we had virtually non stop rain, mountainous seas with no possibility of snorkelling or kayaking. A planned trip through the mangroves was aborted because no boatmen would go out in the rain.
We found the rate of 600 pesos/day to be high for the facilities and meals provided (1 egg with breakfast, 1 course lunch, 2 course dinner, no drinking water except at dinner, no use of kayaks or available ocean swimming or snorkelling)
We left as soon as we could get flights back to Cebu.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank barry015
susifishgirl, Owner at Sagana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2011

Dear Barry,

I'm sorry the weather was so rotten during the time you were there, some wet seasons are worse than others and obviously you got the worst of it. As far as the roads are concerned we have been imploring the Govt for a long time to help but due to political issues we have been left out in the rain (literally).
On the resort issues again i apologise as you are meant to get 3 courses for dinner and although lunch is only one course we have never had a complaint before regarding the size. I will investigate all on my return to the resort next week.

Kind Regards
Sagana Resort

Reviewed 15 November 2010

Did just three nights here in October...we got one of the two cottages with AC which was nice...surf was going off! The REEF surf team was staying there and ripping up the waves each day...Location is right there at cloud 9.

Food? Wow best during my 3 week stay in the philippine! Whether is was breakfast, lunch, or dinner it was fantastic!

Cottage was clean and nice with very comfortable best.

Gerry, Susan and their entire staff was fantastic.

Hey they have a pool too!

Wireless internet work great from my cottage

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends