“You'll regret staying anywhere else”
Review of Sagana Resort

Sagana Resort
Ranked #5 of 41 Siargao Island B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“You'll regret staying anywhere else”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We have recently returned from a wonderful week at Sagana resort enjoying the amazing hospitality of Gerry, Susan and the team, and everything that the island of Siargao has to offer.

My gf and I stayed in unit 5 and enjoyed the mod-cons that it has for a couple sans kids such as air-con as it was very hot when we were there in June. We peeked at the other units (as they were empty) which are more authentic and look perfect for families with kids or a group of 3 or more.

The location right on Cloud 9 beach can not be beaten and listening to Gerry's advice I was the first on the water to catch the first waves of the day each day we were there. You can see the waves from the resort so can time your surfs around the tides and crowds as needed. My gf was a beginner and Cloud 9 is one of those breaks that can cater for all levels. Hiring a stand-up paddle board from next door to ride the waves at sunset was also a highlight.

We took the full package which included all meals and the other couple staying at the resort who didn't do so were definitely regretting having to find alternative food which could not match our Melbourne-restaurant quality food at each sitting, sourced and explained personally by Gerry or Susan.

As it is a small family run resort, it feels like a home-stay as they are never far away to offer advice on what activities to do if you feel so inclined and are happy to organise a scooter to hire, a boat driver, airport transfers and even pack a packed lunch for you on your adventures. It's sustainable as Sagana use local providers who you pay directly for their services and they don't take a cut which was very important to us.

We'll definitely be back another time when the waves are bigger later in the year and my skills are a little better. I was having Siargao withdrawals today back at work!

Room Tip: Room 3 is closest to the ocean that is suitable for a family or a group of 3 or 4.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark_Osman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is an amazing base for a relaxing and active vacation surfing and diving. Gerry the owner has been around Siargao for over 15 years and is fantastic and can set you up to do anything you like, with the best people around (e.g. Damien from Palaka Diving in GL).

The rooms are clean and beds are comfortable. The AC room (#6) has no mosquitos! All my meals from Edna the chef and her crew were amazing, worthy of high-end restaurants in Canada (get fish tinola or pancit noodles for lunch, and if you are lucky enough, get the hand-made seafood pappardelle or tuna tataki when it's on the dinner menu).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Marvin H
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We spent a week at Sagana, Cloud9, with our 3 kids (7, 6 and 2) and we really had a great time!
1) The location is perfect : my husband is an experienced surfer whereas my kids and I are beginners : we all have easy options to go and enjoy. I also enjoyed very much the walk along the sea (which is not possible from all resorts in Siargao).
2) The hotel is very nice : the charming rooms, the cosy lobby/dinning room/living room, the garden (big enough but not too much), the swimming pool and the multi-functions Beach hut with a fantastic view!
3) The people are wonderful: relaxed and always ready to accommodate your needs, they make you feel at home! Susan, Gerry and all the staff are really a great team and one of the main reasons why we had such a great time!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Emma F
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We recently spent 8 days in April at Sagana & loved every day. We are both keen surfers so the resort was perfectly positioned in walking distance (2 minutes max) from Cloud 9, Quiksilvers & Jacking Horse as well as in walking distance to the boats to take you out to other locations. We loved the viewing hut at the front of the resort as we could sit there all day & watch the surf, talk to locals & other visitors as well as relax.
Gerry & Sue are fantastic hosts, they are very helpful & professional, giving you space to yourselves but also checking in that your stay was going well. The food also was amazing, plenty of choices & heaps of it as well. Our cottage was spacious & comfortable. The staff were all friendly & went out of their way to make your stay fantastic.
We definitely recommend Sagana Resort, as it's suitable for families, couples & surfers.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cheryl P
Maroubra, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I've done plenty of trips to this island over the last 6 years and have really got it wired. Sagana is without a doubt the best value for money, family friendly and organised resort on the island. Sure there are some new more expensive places but the reality is nothing beats the orginal. The tucker is exceptional and 3 meals a day for all your family is included in the price, its worth staying there for the food. Sue and Gerry will help you with anything and are fantastic hosts. The staff are sensational and always happy. I would recommend a 7 to 14 day stay to get the best out of the waves and the islands attractions. Its also fair to say that I wouldn't even consider looking at other venues.

Room Tip: Ask for the family villas if you have a tribe with you, book for a week and you may get some waves...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Matt S
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed there with our 5 years old daughter over easter with some friends and there kids.
The owners, Susan and Gerry, are fantastic, always there to help you, give you tips and arrange for outside activities.
The food is really good, especially in the Philippines where it could sometimes be a challenge to find decend food.
The rooms are spacious and clean.
it was a very relaxing week especially after a long flight from Europe.
Tk you so much

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank anne b
Peoria, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay at Sagana Beach Resort! I spent a lot of time checking reviews of the various resorts on Siargao Island, and I'm convinced that I made the right choice. What helped sell me on this place was the immediate responsiveness that Susan provided on e-mail questions when I inquired about their accommodations. That told me something from the beginning. At first, I was not real keen on having the meals included in the on the price. However, that turned out to be one of the best features of staying at Sagana, because we did not have to worry about where to eat. And I'm not sure whether there were a lot of choices anyway.

Gerry and Susan were as accommodating and friendly as the reviews that I had read. We were also very impressed with the friendliness of their staff. The kitchen staff did an excellent job of preparing the food – and the food was excellent, even on our day trips when they would pack our lunches for us!

Our accommodations were very comfortable. We stayed in an open air cottage and as you might expect, bugs can be an issue. I would certainly stay in the open air cottage again, because I like the fresh air. But a word of advice - make sure you keep your mosquito net for the bed well tucked, because the mosquitos will join you if you don't! Also, it's a good idea to keep your suit cases and bags zipped up when you're not getting into them, so you don't end up taking some unwanted guests along home!

We felt very welcome here during our stay and certainly would go back! Thanks to the folks at Sagana for making our visit to Siargao Island an enjoyable experience!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SBatbigoak
susifishgirl, Owner at Sagana Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Hey Steve,
Cheers for the review. Yes Sue and I also only use Mosquito net and fan (don't really like A/C), but being in the tropics you will get bugs, good advice to be vigilent with the net. We are actually going to change cottage 1 this year and have it so it can be either open or kinda sealed with A/C (as the other cottages are). Take it easy and see you next time.

Susan and Gerry