“Dedon Island paradise”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Siargao Island
Hong Kong
“Dedon Island paradise”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Dedon Island is an amazing place, words and our photos can not do this resort or the team justice.

It's was one of the best holidays we have had and was made so special by Morag, Matt and the team. The location is out of this world and the villas/grounds are simply stunning.

The pick up from the airport was superb with Ryan and James meeting us on arrival and whisking us off in a super Phillipino luxury mini bus. The ride to the resort is about 45 mins long and you certainly travel in style, as bus is fitted with Dedon sofas. We all enjoyed taking in the view and waving back to all the locals.

When we arrived at the resort everybody was there to welcome us at the entrance and we were shown straight to our rooms.No stressful check in!!! The villas have everything you need and the furnishings are very plush. Laundry is also included - no extra charge. Housekeeping was excellent.

The food was divine and we were overwhelmed by the variety and choice. It was all so fresh and full of flavor. They even catered special meals and snacks for our kids. We are all having croissant withdrawal symptoms - they were yummy and dough was from Paul bakery in France. Each mealtime we ate in a different area or table in resort.

The kids enjoyed making and eating the cookies. They also enjoyed Ernie the dog and loved both James and Ryan, who were just amazing with the kids. Every morning Our toddler is calling for Ernie. I think if we ever get a dog, he will have to be a male and we will have to name him Ernie. The garden swing, trampoline and all the games were a huge hit with the kids. Along with the kayaking in the mangrovesa and the swimming pool.

Sean made our day trips around the island very special. A major highlight was the rock pools at Pilar.....I mean it couldn't have got any better on that day. The other islands we visited had beautiful beaches with clear blue sea that was safe for kids to swim and also allowed the adults to do some snorkeling. The team brought beach chairs, snacks, drinks, towels, beach toys etc - everything was taken care off.

We had some lovely relaxing massages which you could have in the comfort of your own room.

The team at Dedon were very friendly and were genuine with their exceptional service. We have certainly been sharing our experience with our friends but I do have to say we would like to have kept it our secret. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LouiseHongKong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Why has it taken me over a month to write this review? Well, I've been trying to find the right words to explain the experience of Dedon Island and it's not easy. It's actually hard to convey the exceptional concept of this place. For me, it was the perfect balance of luxury and adventure and I was able to shape both of those elements myself-- to suit my husband and me.

First the luxury: the villas, food, drinks and service are all flawless. However, it's the understatement of that luxury that makes it so easy to enjoy. No butlers or tuxedos or lace doilies... it's all so comfortable; you feel as if you're in the home of a friend. Want a drink? You can either ring up and have delivered to your villa, walk to the outdoor bar and be served or grab a beer from the bar fridge yourself. I opted for all three based on how I was feeling but all were equally as lovely and comfortable. Pop in the kitchen and greet the chef. Talk food, chop and onion if you like (or don't) but just feel at home. For me, there's no better luxury that actually feeling at home when you're away from your actual one.

Now for the adventure (and don't think we're leaving that comfortable luxury behind just because you're leaving the resort). Sean, the most amazing guide I've ever experienced, takes you by power boat 2 hours away form the resort to paddle board in the mangroves, explore real bat caves and cliff jump. He's full of facts and fun and careful of the tides so you're adventure doesn't become TOO adventurous. Of course, there's a lavender scented cold towel whenever you need it as well as tips on being a better paddle boarder, spotting a wild orchid or identifying a bird overhead. And a lunch complete with cheese burgers and local fruit and adobo chicken and ( because you're an American) diet coke! (that isn't actually available for 1000 miles and that you've mentioned you like- just once- and it appears in every cooler just like it would in your fridge at home). And that, my friends, is just day one and a small example of the balance the staff strikes between luxury and comfort.

Want to water ski? Learn to surf at age 50? All that's possible AND it's possible on your time in a way that makes you comfortable. When and how you want it but without the schedule of a big resort or the pushiness of someone on commission or that's never actually surfed or water skied before.

I do and I don't think Dedon is for everyone. It's what you make it. It's small and remote so if you want to go through a vacation never speaking to anyone but your companion then this isn't for you. If you're on an all-you-can-booze-holiday this also probably isn't for you.
But if you want an adventure with the luxury of a resort combined with the comforts of home, staff that immediately becomes like family and a mantra of conscientiousness to the environment, I can guarantee this will be the most memorable vacations of your life.

Room Tip: Villa 9 has a second bedroom loft and would be great for a family with kids or even a sharing couple...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TravelinChance
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 4 August 2013

What a fantastic place. 9 beautiful villas in a fab tropical garden setting - and a very 'un-hotel' approach to service. We really felt like we'd visited friends or family...sooooo laid back you don't even lock your villa! Really comfy beds too - not usual 'hard' mattresses typical of most Philippines hotels

My 11 y.o. daughter wrote a thank you note that says it all: " Dear Dedon family - Thank you for letting us enter your home of kindness, happiness, fun and love. It was a great experience having so many beautiful people surrounding us at all times especially Ernie [the dog!]

So thanks Ernie, Marog, Sean, Cat, Brian, Em Em and Cat

Room Tip: - Airport facilitation including in Cebu is great - Bring dive booties (Dedeon provides masks, snor...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank TomG1234
Las Piñas, Cavite, Philippines
Reviewed 17 July 2013

There's so many great things to say about this resort.

1. From pick up from the airport all the way into the resort and our villas, our guest relations, James, was very helpful and knowledgable of all things we needed to know. Wasn't a robotic check-in, it was very organic and very homey.
2. The greeting when you get to the entrance of the resort was such a pleasant surprise. Where else would you find the whole staff waiting outside the resort to greet you and introduce one another?
3. The place was just awesome. It's like entering in a friends' house with impeccable taste of furnishings and the very well appointed Dedon furnitures! Chill music is abound the resort and because of the very limited amount of people allowed to reside, things are maintained pretty well.
4. The villas were beautiful. Beds were comfortable and their pillows were soft but not too soft. The aroma of the villa had a nice sampaguita scent which will be in the ever-available cold towels they hand out to you. The bathroom was amazing, one of the few hotel resorts that actually have bidets! And the design of the bathroom is so beautiful, from the wood carving down to the organic toiletries which we so wanted to grab but as of now, they don't have their own gift shops. Their mini ref is well stocked with your alcohol and other drinks as well as their own signature dried fruits (coconut, pineapple, and mango), which are delicious btw.
5. The food, omg, the food, chef Brian, cooked up awesome dishes for us all. The one that stuck with me was his lechon with apple sauce and his steak with gorgonzola sauce. I wanted to take advantage of their "ask for anything at any time" mantra but then I would return an obese man and they would hate me for asking things at the wee hours of the morning. Their alcoholic drinks were so good. The Dedon Island Slipper is a favorite as well as the, Naked Island. Kat/Cat, did an awesome job making those drinks and Larry was so kind to make us even pitchers of those and their delicious Amaretto Sour. Buko juice? Not a problem, it seems like it flows endlessly there and it always hits the spot with how sweet they are and refreshing.
6. The nest rest is such a cool hang out while watching the beach go from high tide to low tide as are the rest of their superb lounges. Powdery white sand, clear waters, and the awesome sunny weather make this place even better.
7. The adventures we were scheduled with care of Sean, were all so fun! Surfing, stand-up paddling, kayaking, island hopping, all were sooooo good. Just wish the dynamite fishing would stop so the reefs and sea life could thrive there!
8. The staff, again, were so welcoming. They were so nice, and not the robotic way of being nice like in most 5 start resorts, this was as if they were your 'barkada' or long time friends. In fact, when we left, the biggest take away was that we missed them all.
9. Ernie, the dog. Nuff said.

Definitely a place to come back to, just save up a bit...or a lot. ;)

Room Tip: We stayed in villas 6 & 7...7 has a better view but i'm guessing 9 is the most optimal.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Anton P
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My wife and I decided to have our honeymoon vacation at Dedon Island Resort after I saw a feature on its owner in the NY Times. Since our stay, the NY Times has called this place one of the places to visit in 2013 and featured the resort in a separate article weeks after. The glowing reviews are well deserved. We were looking to get pampered but also because we are active people--have the opportunity to surf, bike, paddleboard, snorkel, beachhop--you name the activity that one can do at a beach and you can do it at Dedon Island.

From the onset, the entire staff made our honeymoon an unforgettable visit. Sean, our adventure guide, planned our visit to paddle board and cave swim and snorkel on our first day. And from there we felt the activity staff knew how to give us our privacy but also engage us with conversation about the landscape, marine life, culture, and topography of the islands around us.

The second day we went surfing with super-cool Marlowe and Wilmer who were patient instructors. My wife had a ton of fun finding a new activity.

We appreciated that our meals were privately arranged in different spots each night so we can have a quiet, intimate meal. And, let me say that the chef at Dedon is a Michelin chef who we would see in the mornings go off to buy fresh groceries from the local market. The Xmas eve BBQ was unreal and generous. Probably the best lechon I've had and being a Filipino I've had my share of suckling pig. The family style lunches with a blend of Filipino and western food was always satisfying. We miss waking up to our standard fruit bowl and eggs--so delicious every morning.

Our villa was so comfortable. The shower and bathroom facility were delightful. We still dream of taking the warm, nourishing showers in the mornings or after a long day of adventure. The staff thought of everything including access to a loaded iPod with all kinds of music to complement any mood.

We enjoyed our own yoga session on the porch in the middle of a category one typhoon. Ha!

Seriously, we thought our rooms were bugged with microphones because if there was something we were thinking--it was offered soon enough. A cocktail? Sure! Wine with dinner? Here you go, sir. Dried fruit and champagne with your breakfast? Why not.

I am not familiar with the term "barefoot luxury" but after our stay at Dedon--I'm not sure any other place could top what we experienced. We loved it so much; we dream of going back. Certainly, worth the money if you can afford it for an awesome experience.

I have to say: we were thinking of going to Palawan or Boracay--standard resorts in the Philippines that work for most people. But, if you are like my wife and I--we don't want anything commercial, we want to be active and try new sports or activities, and also are kinda like NYC foodies--this is the place for you.

Room Tip: The whole resort is a fitness center but there is no typical fitness center. One can get spa treatm...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank RobRags
Manila
Reviewed 14 June 2013

You've never seen luxury in a tropical resort setting until you've been to Dedon Island. I am very particular about cleanliness of resort grounds, rooms, and most especially bathrooms and Dedon tops my list! The owners of Dedon Island really planned the resort very well and they seem to have thought about the little details that travelers usually forget. This is the first and only resort that had all the following en suite in your room : complimentary hairbrush (yes, a hairbrush!), comb, luxurious eco-friendly toiletries, luxurious linens, robes, towels, beach hats (for men and women!), a beach tote to lug all of your sunbathing stuff in, citronella oil, a fully stocked mini bar (yes you can drink anything and everything in it!), the list can just go on and on.

Privacy is tops as well. If you just like to lounge around and have some peace and quiet, Dedon Island's set up of nine (9) villas and not having more than 20 persons at any one time inside the resort definitely guarantees that. The photos you will see in their website are really what you will see in the resort, in fact it is much more beautiful seeing and experiencing it in person.

I love the idea of having "guest relations" on call 24 hours a day. One night we tried calling at 2 AM requesting for food and it was their chef, Brian who prepared it and brought it to our villa. Talk about personalized service! and... Catharina was so attentive to our F&B needs. All the free flowing food, drinks, at any time of the day without worrying about money being exchanged. This is another plus for me.

The staff of Dedon have been trained well in the art of ninja customer service. You don't have to find them... they will find you! They'll ask you what you need, maybe a cold coconut drink, or a mango shake? Whatever you fancy, if they have it on stock it will be brought to you pronto. No questions asked. I said I was allergic to fish and no fish was brought to our table. They were really very attentive to our needs and requests.

To Sean, Brian, Catharina, James, Morag and the rest of the Dedon Island staff, THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this vacation such a memorable one. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank carolcoevents
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Dedo Island Resort is a perfect tropical getaway. From the moment we were greeted by Carmela, the hotel's liaison officer at the Cebu Mactan Airport, we felt the special accommodation and friendly service. We had a four hour lay-over in Cebu and we were provided with a van to drive us to Mactan Shangrila Hotel to have snacks and cold drinks. As soon as we arrived in Siargao Island, we were given cold towels scented with sampaguita, the national flower of the Philippines. Snacks served in the van to the resort were healthy dehydrated local fruits--mangoes, pineapple. and young coconuts. The hotel management team was there to welcome us--Matt & Morag, Brian the chef, Sean the adventures manager, and Catherina. Morag showed us our beautiful villa fronting the ocean. The resort is a showcase for the famous Dedon line of furniture. The room's interior is casual yet you feel the luxury of the surroundings. You walk around the resort barefoot, feel the sand on the soles of your feet, and yet you're treated like a special guest of the house of some special friend. It doesn't feel like a hotel. It feels more like a well appointed guest house of a friend. The beach is clean and again littered with signature Dedon pieces designed by famous artists and designers. Meals are served acoording to your preference. It's personalized down to the little details. Brian, the chef, prepared his artistic rendition of local and international dishes. The food was divine! The island has so many things to offer. We used the stand-up paddle board to explore the mangrove forest at the back. On our first night, we had barbecue by the beach. We had lobster,prawns, fish, chicken, and tofu all grilled to perfection! Our dinner was illuminated by the rays of the full moon. On our second day, Sean, the adventures manager took us to Sohoton cove aboard the resort's amphibious boat. We paddled our way inside the cove and it was magical! The water was crystal clear and calm. Standing up on the paddle board, I was overwhelmed with the tranquility of the place. We spent our last full day clam digging and surfing at the famous Cloud 9. We will definitely go back. Dedon Island Resort is simply breathtaking!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple