“Not bad but.....”

Patrick's on the Beach
Ranked #14 of 43 Siargao Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed for 4 nites late March/14, nothing to complain about room wise except the security...there was no deadbolt on the inside, only the keylock. I'm an experienced traveler and so at night I pushed a heavy carved stool against the door as well on the night in question I stood my sandals to dry against it. On the 4th morning as I got up & looked at the door I noticed the stool was pushed back about 10-12 inches, the sandals knocked over and the door was unlocked (but closed).
Someone with a key had unlocked the door during the night and pushed it open! I keep my valuables locked away and it looks like they didn't come in as luck would have it, but very unnerving as you could imagine.

I talked with the owner and he did show concern as well as mentioned he security had chased someone off the property during the night although in my 4 nites there I never saw anyone that looked like security on the premises. He mentioned he was in the process of beefing security and had a box of deadbolts to be installed. Hopefully he gets on that right away. He also said Siargao is getting busy with lots of (Filipino) outsiders there now, I agree with that, many new resorts going up along the beach on the way to Cloud 9 since my last visit 3 years ago.

All that said, it is the best beach in the General Luna area and with more security I would recommend it. Watch out as others mention below about that 5% service charge and tip accordingly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 days. They have a very accommodating and friendly staff. The location's great and they have a very nice beach front where you could chill and relax when you're not surfing. They have hot showers and their room's neat. Although food is a bit pricey for us, the resort is right across ronaldo's bbq and a walking distance to the boulevard where cheaper food choices are available.
We availed of their surfing lesson at 500 pesos per hour. The surfboards we used were not highly maintained but the lesson overall was great.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank akastepf
Reviewed 4 January 2014

On one level, POTB is a great 'beach bungalow' style getaway, with thatch-roofed huts, hammocks, cold beer, a great location and tasty food.

However, there were some issues that left a less than stellar taste in my mouth when I left.

After staying for 4 nights for a pleasantly-negotiated reduced rate, Andreas (the owner) informed me that he had a large party coming in and he could get more money for my bungalow than I was paying, so he asked if it was OK to move me to his other location, Patrick's At Cloud 9. We had been pretty friendly all week so I agreed to help him out, and he offered me the other accommodation for the same discounted rate, and even threw in a clunky motorscooter for me to use.

But when I got to the other location, it really was a dive...I would never had stayed there had I seen it first. The room has cockroaches, no A/C, no TV and the walls were dilapidated and dingy. It felt isolated and dark. And the 'discounted rate' he had given me was almost TWICE the regular rental rate! When I complained to him, he agreed to refund me the difference, but I had to wait for a day to get the cash, despite making three trips back to POTB to collect it. Additionally, when I got my bill for the week, there was a 4% surcharge for using my credit card, an additional 5% tax on all purchases (this is VERY suspicious, as no one else in the Philippines charged me any tax), and he offered to let me change money...at 15% over the bank rate!

Overall, if you go there with cash, your eyes open, and don't trust that everything is as it seems, it's a wonderful place to stay with great amenities and food. But if you 'go with the flow' and forget that POTB is primarily a business aimed at nickel-and-diming you whenever possible, you are in for some unwelcome surprises.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank Myron B
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My time at Patricks on the Beach was excellent. The scenery is stunning there is so much to see and do.. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The food was great and with a large variety. The tours that are available from this resort are excellent and fun. Andrea and Elizabeth were very helpful during our stay in November 2013 when a Typhoon was hitting the Phillipnnes i canot say enough about how wonderful they were. They really do create a warm environment that makes you want to stay for longer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

I would like to say it was my first time to the Philippines. I picked Patrick's on the Beach because of price and the web site was easy to look up information.
We had a great time there . The staff is great . Cannot say enough about the staff there. Andreas and Elizabeth the owners the very helpful and kind people . We stayed through the Strom of Yolanda . Andreas was up all night making sure everything was okay . He was always updating the clients about what was going on which made us feel safe.
If you want a resort that you would like to.relax , have great food this would be the place to go .
Thank you Andreas and your staff for a great week . Hope to see you again next year.
Claude

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Nice beach front room that we stayed in, room just right for couple, good water supply from the faucet, but low power voltage so that aircon works like a fan, Internet service very weak, down most of the time, lots of food choices at their restaurant but quite expensive
What is turn off is, the last night when we went back to the room from dinner at the beach, we saw a rat running in our veranda, yuck !

Even water is expensive, you could buy from store outside at much cheaper price , only 3 mins walk, bring more loose change if you will be taking cycle bec drivers won't give you change, they will always tell you that they don't have change

Room Tip: Choose one in front of the beach, no aircon bec aircon is just fan, not cooling
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

At fist when we went to siargao,we decided to stay for a day or two only.But right after we stayed at Patrick's on the Beach,we decided to extend our stay.2days turned into 5 days in the resort.They are very accommodating and hospital esp the wife of the owner named Elizabeth.The room was so beautiful and take note it is so affordable. It is complete with TV,clean comfort room,aircon,veranda.all the rooms are nipa nuts facing the beach.All native. You'll love hanging out there longer than going outside to do some activities.It feels like home staying in this resort.Love it!

Room Tip: Look for Elizabeth,the wife's owner.She's super accommodating.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends