“French David Treats English People Disrespectfully”

and 1 more site!
Punta Placer Bungalows
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in San Agustinillo
Reviewed 30 October 2010

The town and all of the people are incredible and top notch in San Agustinillo. With the exception of David the surfing dude owner of this place. He is obnoxious. He has issues with english speaking people so if people matter to you, don't go here just because of how he treats 'some' people. He's very friendly when they are European and especially French. If you don't fall into those categories, don't even bother saying hello to the guy as he looks right through you and beyond. Don't get me wrong...I'm on holidays and don't need to be friends with the owner, but it's a small place with warm weather and a cold person breezing by....

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
10  Thank FUPMCW

Reviewed 19 October 2010

Stayed 2 nights in October. San Agustinillo is pure paradise, and the cabanas location is excellent. Staff was very friendly, overall a great experience.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RickyZu
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at Punta placer for 9 nights after a gruelling Californian road trip and absolutely loved it!! The previous reviews may be a little unconvincing but now I have been here I would go back in a second.
The owners, Claire and David are lovely people and could not have been more helpful, Claire gives a wonderful massage also and Davids knowledge of the local area for guided treks is brilliant, on a particularly cloudy day he saw a few of the couples disappointment and decided to take us all trekking to some waterfalls and to tour the local coffee plantation, it was a great day.
The cabanas in general are very cleanand in a great location on the beach, you can sit all day and just watch the waves, it's so peaceful.
It is a little hot at night with no air con but no where near as bad as some places i've been and not really uncomfortable, just be careful if you are tall as if your feet touch the mosquito net they are experienced enough to bite you through it, we found burning a repellent helped.
The town is away from all hustle and bustle and a refreshing break from city life to just spend afternoons/evenings relaxing at Fridas (Local bar) and watch the waves with a bottle of Dos equise, heaven! Thanks guys for a great break.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Had a great time here and the rooms are awesome. Breakfast are pretty poor but as you have to pay I would suggest going elsewhere. The family that run it tend to treat the restarant as there own front room though so it's a bit offputting. Still had a great time here and would def recommend.

One bad thing though- the French guy who owns it is really rude and arrogant. Well he was to me anyway perhaps it's cos I am English and it's a shame cos o thought people like that did nit exist outside of Paris. He rind the surf club on the beach and I booked a lesson with him for 11am the following morning. But I cod sense his reluctance when I booked it. I can surf ok already and wAnted further tuition. Next day comes and I head Down the beach at 11 and wait for him. 45 minutes later I go back to the hotel to findhim. I tell him I had a lessonbooked at 11 and he just looks at his watch and says "it's 11:45 now" and walked off whilst I was mid sentance. What an arogant idiot. It marred my stay there and after that I spent no further money at the hotel The owned.

4  Thank Marktaco1
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We had a great stay here. It is the best place to stay in the area if you can afford it. The cabanas are clean and well designed. The beds are nice and would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone looking for a quite, beautiful and romantic place on the beach.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Of all the places we visited in our 2 week trip to Oaxaca and Mexico City, Punta Placer was my favourite. After five days there, my boyfriend and I were so relaxed - we could have easily stayed longer, only leaving as we wanted to see some sights up in Puerto Escondido.

We arrived in San Agustinillo after about an hour's drive from Huatulco airport. We first looked at Bambu cabanas which I'd read about on Trip Advisor and which had great reviews - not impressed! We were greeted by what appeared to be a construction site, everything was messy and the cabanas, though large, were a bit dingy. The stretch of beach wasn't the nicest either. We swiftly moved on to Punta Placer, and once we were there, immediately relaxed.

We were greeted by Anoushka, who was looking after the cabanas while the owner was away. We looked at a couple of cabanas (all are very similar) and plumped for an upstairs one which offered a greater degree of privacy on the balcony and which we thought may attract fewer mosquitoes than a downstairs one. I was a little concerned that the cabanas are open (I mean they are roofed but there are large gaps) as I usually react badly to mosquito bites - though there is mosquito netting. More on that later.

The cabanas are right on the beach front, just a fantastic location. Ours had views down the crescent of San Agustinillo beach - though partially obscured by palms which do offer welcome shade in the heat of the day. They are made of the thatched / adobe construction common to many cabanas in Mexico - I love this style - and are painted in vivid shades of green inside. They are cleverly designed so the bathrooms curve around the back of the bedroom area with the shower at one end and the sinks at the other. The bathrooms are so pretty with lovely mosaic tiles and natural stone decor. Our shower did seem somewhat exposed to a playground and street beyond however so I usually made a screen out of my sarong when showering! (The French are not so uptight about these matters as us British I think!)

The cabanas are simply furnished with a bed, seating area, shelving and a sweet rustic 'wardrobe' made of wood and rope - it was fine for our needs though if I was staying longer I might have preferred some more storage. The beds have mosquito netting and unfortunately this is needed. We stayed at the cabanas in June, the rainy season, which is one of the worst times for mosquitoes. Unfortunately the weather is also very hot and humid at this time. Sleeping (or trying to sleep) under the mosquito netting was very uncomfortable. There are fans in the cabanas, but the effect is diminished by the netting. But we did not want to risk waking covered in bites. The mosquitoes were small and difficult to see (even more difficult to swat!) but their bites were not! So if you're susceptible, I'd recommend covering yourselves in repellent from about 6-7 onwards and being vigilant at all times - dont' hang around unclothed in the bathroom after a shower etc. Also light some repellent coils in your cabana. Don't let this put you off though - I certainly wouldn't, though I would think twice about going back at that time of year.

One more thing I think it's important to mention is the beach, or more specifically the sea. The beach is beautiful - pretty, clean and was more or less empty during our stay save for a few roaming dogs and the fisherman whose boats are located next to the cabanas (if you're squeamish don't watch them bringing in their sharks in the afternoons - though I found it quite fascinating!). However the sea was rough - dangerously so. The guidebooks mention other beaches along the same stretch of coast as being dangerous, particularly Zipolite, however you really do need to take care in San Agustinilllo too. The waves are rough and will pummel you if you aren't used to them (swimming under them rather than letting them take you is always a good idea!). There are strong currents that will carry you down the beach in seconds, and can also make it difficult for you to get back in to shore if you get caught in an undertow - indeed two people were rescued when we were there. I don't wish to put anyone off but I think it's important people are aware. Be safe and don't swim on your own. The cabana staff and the fisherman will advise you when and where it's safe to swim. We certainly enjoyed splashing about thought, and the waves are great for bodyboarding - you can hire these from Punta Placer.

I don't have too much more to say about the cabanas. They're lovely. The grounds are lovely. I loved Bamboo (Baboo?) the elderly Alsation who lollopped around and went crazy digging for the little crabs that scuttle about in the evening, very amusing to watch. It was hard to drag ourselves away from lazing in the hammock, reading and sunning ourselves to get out and explore the local area. We did go to Ventanilla to see the crocodiles (our guide baited them with a stick, which we did NOT like), Mazunte to the turtle sanctuary, again a bit depressing though great that they are now being conserved rather than eaten. Bought some lovely cosmetics from the cosmetic factory though. The whole area was extremely quiet in June, we actually found it difficult to find places to eat some evenings. I would highly recommend Alquamista on Playa Zipolite though, simply beautiful setting on the beach, funky and delicious food. Also recommend La Termita, right next door to Punta Placer on the beach, for lovely pizzas in a lovely setting. Also Mexico Lindo on SA beach does tasty lunches.

The only other thing I was less than keen on at Punta Placer were the breakfasts. The pancakes were nice but the eggs a bit bland as was the coffee (I'm very fussy about my breakfasts!). There are other places that serve breakfasts close by including La Termita, which I wish we'd tried.

Overall I thought this accommodation was great - I'd love to go back when the nights were a bit cooler and the sea a bit calmer, and spend some more days soaking up the sun and letting the sounds of the crashing (ok thunderous!) waves lull me to sleep. I think the price (it was around £50 per night) was reasonable for the quality of the accommodation, though I think if they are going to charge separately for the breakfasts they could be of a slightly higher standard.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions. We also checked out a few other accommodations including Casa Pan de Miel which we were not impressed with. Alta Mira looked beautiful but high up on a hill - not ideal location wise, for us. Punta Placer seemed by far the best choice in this area. Thanks to Anoushka who was so helpful and friendly. Recommended!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank clownfishes
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Accommodation at Punta Placer consists of 4 round buildings, each with a modern cabana (spacious bedroom with shower-room) on the ground and first floor. It's located in the small fishing village of St Agustinillo, on the pale sandy beach of the unspoilt West coast. It's an hour by taxi (350-500 pesos) from Huatulco (nearest airport) and is a peaceful retreat (no moblie phone signal!) right beside the rolling waves of the Pacific Ocean. This is essentially a place to relax, lie in a hammock under the coconut palms, read, walk on the deserted beach, eat and drink, but beware of the very strong sun - we used factor 30 all the time. The cabanas are well designed and stylish, and the only drawback is the mosquito population which can carry Dengue Fever. We covered ourselves in insect repellent, particularly in the evenings, but still had a few bites on our legs. The design fault in our cabana was only having wall switches for the lights; so one of us had to turn off the light and then get into the mosquito net in the dark, trying to make sure it was completely tucked in under the mattress, from inside the net! We were there just at the end of the dry season and the fishermen told us that once the rains come (June to August) the mosquito problem is much much worse. Breakfasts, which are charged separately, were excellent, with a wide choice of dishes. Light meals are served through the day, but as the French owners were away, food was not available in the evenings, which was disappointing. Overall, the location is almost beach-holiday paradise, and the hotel staff are friendly and helpful - particularly the French Tourism student who was on a 6-month placement at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010
0 mi away
Paraiso Del Pescador
Paraiso Del Pescador
#4 of 4 in San Agustinillo

Been to Punta Placer Bungalows? Share your experiences!