“Great 40th Birthday and Wonderful Welcoming Weekend!”

Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast Minden
Ranked #5 of 8 Minden B&B and Inns
Barrie, Canada
“Great 40th Birthday and Wonderful Welcoming Weekend!”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

After reading two prior reviews from, “the young professionals” giving Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast only two stars, I feel compelled to write my own.

It was my husbands 40th and he didn’t want a big party he wanted a nice relaxing holiday with fishing, canoeing and children free! Our gracious hosts Sally and Jan gave us that, R & R, and so much more. It began with a very warm greeting and lovely tour of their piece of history, and heaven on Sunny Rock. When we saw the incredible views we knew we had made a good decision to come here.

Yes we were given a quick rundown of the water safety rules which is fine and expected! Firstly it is their home and they loan the canoes free of charge so naturally she would be very worried to loan her boats out to inexperienced swimmers. Even the strongest of swimmers can quickly find themselves in trouble. How is a nurse or surgeon useful in a water accident are they also trained in water rescue? Not sure why they felt above the water safety rules?

My husband graciously out of RESPECT of the owner listened to the rules as she would be unaware of the fact that he has maneuvered canoes in class three rapids on several solo trips and is a highly trained in all levels of water rescue. She definitely did not make us feel like we had “entered boot camp”. She came across as caring, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Where do we begin… thank-you Sally, Jan, and Ace, for a wonderful weekend, we felt so welcome in your home. Your little slice of heaven beside the river was such a great way to get away from it all. Loved the player piano, the warm cozy fire in the original log house, and your stories were wonderful. Our room was so nice with our own private steam shower and fireplace (which we never needed because we felt so welcome in the common areas)

As for the comment on the dishes I find that hard to believe because on the night of my husband’s birthday we had a tiny cake at 10:30 p.m. after coming home from dinner. When I got up to do the dishes at around midnight before turning in for the night they were done! Thanks again ladies!

Sally and Jan will go out of their way to give you amazing breakfasts that were so filling we ended up skipping lunch both days and having a late afternoon snack instead. For breakfast: We had fruit cups, and yogurt, two kinds of pastry stuffed mushroom caps yummy avocado with tomato, one or two eggs with vegetables and English muffin or toast and bacon Coffee and juice. Not sure why anyone would need bigger portions or seconds?

On a Side note if you are into Geocaching the Highlands are full of them Sally has a book just ask!
If you are looking for local history, a beautiful setting where you can hear the falls in the Highlands, GREAT food head to Sunny Rock tell them the Lori and Jason sent you! HIGHLY reccommend! Sally, Jan and Adorable Ace looking forward to being stumped at the guessing game on our next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Woodrush Falls view room! HIGHLY recommend it for a romantic getaway or relaxing ho...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martinfamily3plus2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
toronto
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here on July 14-15 with our friends (whom also wrote a review under the name Luv2travel0548). As mentioned below the accommodations were adequate and the natural aspects of the surrounding lakes were beautiful.

However, I am absolutely appalled by the ridiculous statements made by margden1 below regarding our "behaviour". I don't quite understand why a 29 year old surgical resident at sunnybrook hospital or his girlfriend who is a manager at a large corporation would be mockingly called "young professionals". I assure you that my friends and I carried ourselves with integrity and respect for others. In fact, the only night we met this couple was briefly for a minute or two on the 15th, where we actually sought shelter from the rain and sat quietly playing board games (where even a co owner of the B&B joined us).

Travelers be fair warned that Sally (owner/operator of the B&B) did indeed treat us like children. I sincerely believe that there was no need for my friends or myself to be babysat in any regard. We only sought out a relaxing getaway from the city and our otherwise hectic and very demanding lives. Rules and regulations for patrons' safety are one thing; however, what we experienced was truly disrespectful. We made every effort to comply to Sally's rules but surly did not deserve this kind of treatment. I did not pay to have Sally give me stern lectures regarding etiquette. We were never loud nor rude. We simply left 2 dishes (others were washed) to soak for 20 minutes as they were greasy from our BBQ lunch and were using a side entrance 3 minutes past 9pm not realizing that it was past 9 (this was a rule of the B&B as it was believed that bats would fly into the house past this time). Clearly these "mistakes" do not justify a PUBLIC REPRIMAND and i was shocked and humiliated to say the least.

Breakfast was well made, however i feel the portions were inadequate and on the small side. We were unable to find the all-day snacks that were mentioned by the reviewer below. The snacks we enjoyed were self supplied.

I would only recommend this B&B for its location and i sincerely hope that this review sheds some light to the obvious problems that need to be addressed.

NP

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank np1111
bnbhost, Owner at Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast Minden, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Thank you for the valued description of our property and bed and breakfast. We are fortunate to be the only B&B in the Haliburton Highlands on 3 different types of water. Canning Lake is across the road with access from the area of the Scott's Dam...the waters of Canning Lake flow over the Scott's Dam and make a wonderful waterfall...and these waters flow in to the Drag River creating the exceptional view. Our Woodrush Fallsview Suite, Walterwindsong Riverview Suite and Pine Studio Suites all look out onto the falls and the river...guaranteeing that guests will see the wildlife on and around the river. In each suite is a guest comment book where guests can describe their experience, who they encountered, what they saw from their suite balcony and the shared moments with the owners and innkeepers. These comments are on our website on the rooms and rates page for each suite or room. These 1200+ comments speak for themselves and tell a very different version of guest experiences.

Our B&B philosophy for the past 17 wonderful years has been creating an experience and valuing "friends, family and wow". The public spaces include ample decks and a huge sunroom allow for socializing, sharing a beverage and and great conversation. We love learning about our guests, value their experiences and travel. In our 17 years we can honestly say that there have been only 3 or 4 couples who came to visit who had clearly no interest in learning about Jan and I and were into their own party and socializing. Intuitively we would offer and share what the house and owners can provide, share some expectations from a distance and then back away allowing the guests to build their own experiences....and we are comfortable with this. For example: we are delighted to offer our guests the use of a kitchenette for the preparation of lunch and dinners and a BBQ and our expectations are that the area be cleaned up to how we provided it. Our expectation is that all Dishes, glasses and cutlery be washed and put away following the meal so that others can use the areas if they wish...they too should also be given a clean kitchen to start their meal preparation. Should these expectations not be honoured (one dish or 15 dishes) I feel comfortable mentioning my wishes in the event that the next drink was prepared, socializing took over and the areas clean up was forgotten. Mmmm clearly the comment about unfinished cleanup began an irreparable relationship stress. Comments from guests like "we have never been asked to do dishes at any resort before why would we do it here". Part of that comment can be taken as a compliment...our home feels big enough to be "lodge like" however although portions of this building was one the main building of a lodge...we remind our guests that this beautiful place is our home and we are a bed and breakfast

On a number of occasions following this first conflict both Jan and I knew that we needed to somehow allow the 2 couples to know that we only had their best interest in mind. They had come to the Haliburton Highlands when it was in a fire ban so no campfires were allowed however we offered the candle in a big pickle bottle and placed it in the center of their strategically placed chairs on the deck. Returned another time and offered beverages. And yet another time and offered Kawartha Dairy Ice Cream. Each of these moments allowing for guest and innkeeper interaction, I can only conclude, were looked at as being "baby sitting". Clearly our intentions were very different.

Guests who enjoy and value our environment and respect our home and requests are those who take the simplest of messages to heart. For example we are so fortunate to have this huge 25 window, 2 sliding patio doors and one hinged door, sunroom. Displayed on the screen of the sliding door is a sign, for everyone to see, asking that everyone "please use only the hinged door at dust to prevent bats from entering the house". Usually with this reminder is a short anecdotal story about the time that is required for Ace and I to excavate the bats and that we're would prefer not to have these experiences in this heat. Followed by a "Please help us by using only hinged doors at dusk". Clearly our comments and reminders were seen as a reprimand....mmmm it was just too hot for bat excavation!!!! And besides everyone else in the house at the time respected and comprehended the request.

Our goal with 4 suites and 4 rooms is to foster harmony and to orchestrate ways that everyone can co exist and share the spaces and equipment we offer. To do this we have created standard messages and expectations. We love it when guests welcome our respect for them and they for us and our property. We would love it if we could please everyone all of the time!

For the reader of these guest comments please know that we value everyone who walks over our threshold. we know you bring your unique experiences with you on our journey and our job is to help you have an enriched experience in our home and the Haliburton Highlands. Two couples experiences do not make the story you read true.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband and I booked two night's holiday July 15-16 at Sunny Rock. We had never visited here before, but Sunny Rock and Sally had come highly recommended. We enjoyed two days of her delectable breakfasts, all-day snacks, and beautiful accommodation. The setting is amazing and opportunities to explore the waterways and local area were inviting. She suggested restaurant destinations and even offered discount vouchers for several. Sally could not have been more accommodating. She listened, we made camping connections; she shared tips and suggestions for future overseas travel. She generally made us feel like old friends. We usually don't write online reviews, but felt compelled because we had such a wonderful time, and because we saw the ridiculous review that "Luv2travel05485" had written. We stayed at Sunny Rock over the same weekend as they, and had the opportunity to witness their appalling behaviour and general lack of consideration for the owners and other guests. The presence of this group of 'young professionals' was our only negative experience at Sally's. They were extremely rude and immature, and their review should be interpreted in this light. Without exception, Sally treated them kindly but firmly given the rude treatment she had to deal with from them. We agree with all of the other reviews, and would recommend Sunny Rock to anyone seeking a relaxing getaway in beautiful Ontario cottage country.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank margden1
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Having a demanding week ahead of me, I needed a comfortable, clean, space to sleep and have breakfast. The Sunny Rock and Host Sally far exceeded any expectations I had. Following a warm welcome, I was given a tour of the beautiful and historic property, located adjacent to Scott's Dam. The flowing water over the rocks, the resident osprey, blue heron and gull are at home at the water's edge. There are large decks surrounding the property so a guest can easily join in with others, or find a quiet place to themselves. Having the ability to use the guest kitchen or BBQ was a real added bonus, as at the end of a very busy day, I could simply come "home" make a simple meal and put my feet up and enjoy the views.
The Sunny Rock is "air-conditioned" by a steady fresh breeze flowing through the house. My room, which was smaller than the suites, had three windows, and an fan. Every detail had been arranged, with convenient lighting, clock radio/alarms, clean towels, fresh bedding (handmade quilts), and reading material of many genres. Although I was not there to watch T.V., there is a large T.V. in one of the common areas for guests, and others are provided if requested. Sally arranged a beautiful and sustaining hot breakfast each morning at a time that was convenient for my schedule. She was extremely accommodating to me and made every effort to ensure that my stay was safe, comfortable and relaxing. I feel that I have found a "home away from home" and a new friend who will welcome my whenever I can arrange to come back to the Sunny Rock. I would recommend this B & B very highly.

Room Tip: The two large suites are ideal for a special get away or occasion. Views are outstanding. Ask abou...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Nancy N
So any thanks for your wonderful comments. It is folks like yourself that truly get the tranquil cottage like setting in the Haliburton Highlands. To be able to leave the stresses of another place and enter in to this grounded environment would be a positive experience for some. I would agree We sure did have a wonderful time and I will look forward to welcoming you home sometime soon. Cheers. S
Mississauga
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My friends and I (two couples: mid 20’s –late 20’s) visited Sunny Rock B &B on July 14th and 15th for the two nights. We are all successful hard working individuals who wanted a weekend away from the hectic city life. When we arrived, we were taken away by the scenery of this place. But once we met Sally we quickly realized that our weekend was not going to be as fun and relaxing as we had hoped.

Firstly, we were bombarded with rules and lectures. We knew this was someone’s home prior to coming and we would never disrespect it in any way. Although we are all well-mannered and well behaved individuals, I do believe that Sally’s impression of us was based merely on ageism.

We had called after booking, and Sally had told us that the B&B had “only the best” air conditioning system. Upon arrival we were informed she meant best “air flow” in the B&B. For someone who’s asthmatic, I was definitely concerned and clearly miss informed. The rooms were tiny and old but very clean. Bed’s were fairly comfortable. For $160 /night (for the most basic rooms) we did expect air conditioning and a little more for the price.

On arrival day we decided to head out canoeing after unpacking. One of our mates is a poor swimmer and was not aloud to go out into the water with a life vest until he received unnecessary swimming lessons from Sally. We felt as though we entered a military style summer camp. I’m sure Sally was concerned about his safety. With a surgeon and RN in our group, I think he was in good hands. We also had to sign a waver that we would obey all the rules. I do believe a non-swimmer would never jeopardize his life by jumping out of a canoe in deep waters without a life vest, nor would his friends let him do so. Sally just did not trust us.

When we returned from a fun few hours on the water (amazing lake), we made dinner. The first bbq we used did not work so Sally let us use her own and made sure we knew this was a “favor” to us. Moreover, We were told that we must wash all our dishes, which was fine with us. We did leave 2 dishes in the sink, headed out for ice cream, and were going to clean these dishes once we returned. Let me tell you, SALLY WAS NOT HAPPY!!. Upon our return she was angry and raised her voice telling us that she is very frustrated. She further told us that we could stay somewhere else and even called up another place. Remember- all this for leaving 2 dishes in the sink instead of telling us nicely to wash the dishes. We were willing to leave but Sally said that she would not refund us any of our money. We were not willing to pay $680 for staying 5 hours so decided to put up with all this disrespect. We felt unwanted for no apparent reason. You would expect Sally to be more understanding as she is running a B&B after all.
Sally raised her voice at us once again, in the presence of other guests when we used the side door in the evening. This was another rule- not to use the side door in the night so bats do not accidently enter. Because it was early, we thought it was okay to go in and out, without leaving the door opened for even a minute of course. We felt as though Sally could have spoken to us in a more calm and genuine manner.

Other things:

You cannot swim out front of the B & B because “you will have diarrhea for a month”. This was a bummer because it really was beautiful.

Bring bottled water. Because although Sally will tell you to drink the water provided, she will also turn around and encourage you to drink the tap water. DO NOT DRINK THE TAP WATER PLEASE.

The breakfast was delicious but if you’re a big boy, you will be hungry. Portions are small and no seconds! “Whats it” game at the breakfast table was fun and interesting.

All in all, we had an interesting weekend. Place is nice but we would never go back to Boot Camp.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Luv2travel05485
bnbhost, Owner at Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast Minden, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Luv2travel

We welcome guests who wish to have an exceptional experience in the Haliburton Highlands and we do not care if they are 20, 90 or somewhere in between. Everyone who arrives to our home is firstly welcomed and treated with the greatest respect.

One of the wonderful things about going to a B&B, instead of a resort, is the personalized experience and the comforts of the home like experience. With that experience is a mutual respect of people, innkeeper and other guests, and area services and their staff. We know and understand that everyone comes to us with per conceived expectations and hence the reason for clarity in the initial conversations before making a reservation and upon arrival.

From all of Our rooms and suites (all but one) you can hear the sound of the waterfall and the life on the river (herons staking their ground, ospreys squeaking before the dive for food). For all these reason Sunny Rock B&B would never and will never offer air conditioning. Suites looking out onto the water have a fabulousness breeze that comes through the balconies screened door. These rooms also have a ceiling fan and a floor fan. Any guest that declares they have asthma I would recommend they consider either Walterwindsong Riverview Suite, Woodrush Fallsview Suite or the Pine Studio Suites. These guests when they arrived were offered the Woodrush Fallsview Suite as it was still available....the guests declined the upgrade.

Bed and breakfasts who have 4 suites and 4 rooms must have expectations of the guests allowing for comfort and safety of all in residence. Whether its using the water equipment, bbq or the kitchenette there are expectations in place to ensure safety first and harmony.

Few B&Bs offer a kitchenette and use of a BBQ. If something is not working as a guest would expect then with notification we will do our best to remedy the problem. The guest BBQ was clearly out of service so we offered the use of the one normally used by the owners. As the BBQ sat on the deck, of our beautiful historical log building, we asked that the BBQ be supervised at all time when it was ignited. That was our only expectation. An aside...we welcomed the knowledge that the BBQ was toast and have since replaced it....so thanks for helping us to know that this equipment needed up grading.

For the privilege of offering our guests the use of canoes, kayaks or paddleboat we have a very comprehensive risk management plan. The short of this long plan is that all must wear a personal floatation device (PFD) for their personal safety, all non swimmers must demonstrate a comfort level in the water with the PFD on, paddle boat is for 2 adults, canoe max is 3. For non canoeist I suggest being close to shore to prevent injury if they should tip, have the necessary extras for example extra paddle, bailer, tow rope and whistles. A risk management plan is prepared to cover most all emergency on the water that may happen. As I am a former camp director of summer camp I have a minimum standard that all must have to experience our boating equipment. Upon receiving this information I have all participants sign a waver saying they understand the expectations. Trauma Surgeon and RNs are great people to have around when there has been an emergency on land. In a water emergency I would rather my guests have aquatic pre safety info so that on land ( or in water ) care not be required and can be prevented.

The view from the sunroom and the suites is incredible I agree. Not all water is suitable for swimming in. As we know that our resident beaver lives under our dock in the summer we would not recommend swimming for human or canine in that area. Yes it is lovely to see but not suitable for swimming. We have a great place in Canning Lake for swimming and an area in the Scott's Dam falls we call the natural whirlpool...a place to sit safely in such a way in the falls where you get a full body message.

It is a common practice for travellers in this day to drink only bottled water. We offer copious amounts of bottled water in all bathrooms, bedrooms and kitchenette for guests to consume as they wish. To imply that guests must bring their own bottled water is not true.

Jan and I know that each new guest who arrive to our door has their own expectations. Often only one of the couple may have read the website that has been carefully scribed to answer many quest questions. Upon arrival we do our best to provide the necessary expectations to ensure safety and harmony of all our guests on the property.

To the reader please note that these commenting guests came to us from the Internet and clearly would have been more comfortable at a resort. Not everyone is best suited for the B&B experience although we recommend that your try the experience to see if the personalized experience suites you.
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2012

When we arrived this past weekend Sally greeted us by saying "welcome home" during our stay we were very comfortable and our thoughtful hosts seemed to have thought of everything. We really enjoyed the morning games of "WHATSIT" during our excellent breakfasts. Sitting around for happy hour and of course enjoying some of the Kawartha Lakes Ice Cream that the freezer is stocked with!

The room was very spacious and clean. We enjoyed watching the wildlife play in the bay as well just having some downtime with our books. What a great way to spend a weekend!

This was definitely a birthday to be remembered, and we can't wait to come back to Sunny Rock and experience a little more of what it has to offer. Days later I am still feeling relaxed and rested.

P.S During the winter head over to Minden to check out the Ice Racing!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Yes it's a beutiful place but for that kind of money I expected more.
My boyfriend and I stayed for a long weekend. According to their website they offer beverages at arrival and a wonderful breakfast.
I don't drink alcohol so no beverages were offered to me (I had to make my own tea) and for breakfast, the first morning I was OK, but then I felt forced to eat "a taste" of the type of breakfast that I do not like. I prefer a cup of coffee with toast and fruit, etc.
The room was beautiful (Woodrush) but I had an issue with my side of the bed, so I could only sleep for a few hours. The following day we had to change to another room because of that. They acknowledged that there was a problem with the mattress and they fixed it afterwards.
The room that we moved in for the 2nd and 3rd night was big and full of windows but since it has not been touched for a few months, it was not perfectly clean.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beavertail65
bnbhost, Owner at Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast Minden, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
Jan and I really like to hear from and enjoy comments from our guests. Comments from guests that help us to be better and help us to know of their experience are very much appreciated. We remember well the experience you had with the bed and without your comments that first breakfast we would never have known what you or other guests are experiencing. We found that the box spring had a broken board and that box spring has since been replaced by the manufacturer.

The impression made when moving to the Moorehaven Treetop Suite for the 2 nd anf 3rd nights concerns me as we would expect you to be moving into nothing but the best and a better than average clean environment. Anything short of our expectation we would hope our guest would bring to our attention immediately. Our previous guests in that room vacated 2 days prior. Our guest book comments are often saying they are astounded by how clean the house and the bedrooms are. I am always so happy to pass on those comments to Gail our housekeeper.

When our guests arrive to the Sunny Rock B&B we introduce the guest to our kitchenette and point out the many beverage and food choices that are available to our guests 24 hours a day. I make a point of saying should we be walking the dog or busy welcoming other guests please feel free to help yourself as your feeling at home is most important to us. Because of our travels and the 400 some odd b&bs that we have stayed in all over the world, we know as guests from time to time that we rather enjoyed not have the host fussing over us every time we show up to the common area. We simply hope that the guests will take us up on our offer as we do offer a light beverage package as part of the experience. If there was anything short of 5 or 6 different kinds of pop, 4 different kinds of juices, bottled water, both decaf and regular coffee, 15 different kinds of herbal or regular tea, beer and wine at your grasp we are very sorry and can only think that we need to make our offering more clear. I must also have mentioned the sweets, cookies, popcorn, fresh fruit and 4 flavours of Kawartha Dairy Icecream available to everyone to help themselves.

While considering breakfast and doing the planning of breakfast the night before we ask our guests if they have any allergies to any vegetables, any fruit or if there is a food group that the guest would prefer not to show up on the breakfast table. From that discussion we consider the menu and quantities of food that is required for breakfast...if anything we over feed our guests. Each morning begins with coffee or tea (we invite the guests to help themselves as we may be in the kitchen preparing breakfast and may not know that they have arrive to th breakfast nook in the Sunroom).. As there are folks who like their personal space in the morning and donot wish to be bombarded by host questions...they can grab a hot beverage and head out to the deck overlooking the Scott's Dam Falls and capture the moring wildlife show is always a highlight. A fresh fruit cup and sweet nothings welcome the guest to the table and then hot breakfast is described before it is plated and presentatedto the table to ensure that we are offering food and quantity that is correct for each individual. For an example someone may truly object to "the avocado that has been basking in maple syrup" not because the dislike maple syrup or avocado but rather because they have never tasted the combination before. I have been known to bring out a sampler so that a person can decide if what they see is something to try or not. We delight in sharing our breakfast secrets with those who may like to take the sampler adventure.

We have taken your comments to heart and know that in order to be the best retreat for our visitors to the Haliburton Highlands that we must always offer a value added experience,..and if my records are correct and you took us up on the "photo op" that makes our venue unique. That value added gift alone is a $50 value offered to every guest whether they stay for one night or a week.

As we are into our 17th year of operation we celebrate with each and every guest in ways that have made us feel very proud of our home and our offerings. We would look forward to welcoming you back to Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast anytime...Sally
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minden
Little Hawk Resort and Marina
Dominion Hotel
Dominion Hotel
#6 of 8 in Minden
Wild Swan Bed & Breakfast Inn

Been to Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast Minden? Share your experiences!