“Best B&B”

Ranked #5 of 8 Minden B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Best B&B”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

You are made to feel like pampered family when you stay in their gorgeous B&B. The food is INCREDIBLE and catered to your tastes and needs. This was our third time staying here and we loved every moment of it. The views are spectacular. We watched deer crossing the frozen river. I highly recommend this B&B !!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kiramuggle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dundas, Ontario
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Sally has a passion for hospitality - and doing her best to cater to her guests' specific situations. While I was there for a week, attending the Haliburton School of Arts, others were there for different reasons: a woman on business, an American couple holidaying, a couple from an hour away looking for a relaxing weekend. Sally was able to accommodate the special needs of all. She prides herself on little extras (some advertised, others come as surprises, and still others catered to individuals). She delights when guests begin to form connections, and fosters a sense of community gathered in her home. My only disappointment was that the weather wasn't conducive to enjoying the swimming and natural whirlpool features,(Sally couldn't control that!) but there's nothing like falling asleep to the sound of the running water and awakening to the glorious view - complete with visits from the heron and friends. A special thanks to Ace, the very attentive canine host, for the extra TLC and welcome home after a long day at school!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GratefulinDundas
Zurich, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

when we decided to spend the long weekend in the Algonquin Park area, the Sunny Rock B&B was exactly what I had in mind to make this an unforgettable weekend. beautifully located at the shore of a nice and calm lake, the Sunny Rock B&B is THE place to enjoy a amazing time. From the first second Sally and Jan made us feel very welcome and thanks to their professional advises we we able to improove our canoeing skills. Indulge a nice glass of wine in the evening, looking at the big dipper and the millions of stars in the sky or sitting on a rock at the shore of the lake and just enjoy the beauty of nature and the quietness! I will never forget the amazing time we had at the Sunny Rock B&B and I know for sure that one day we will be coming back to freshen up our memories!!

Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Eye-of-the-Eiger
bnbhost, Owner at Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast Minden, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Wow....what a wonderful review. I remember we'll standing in the darkness at the dam sharing the experience of the star filled sky. When you time in a city or a place with too much light pollution one can only guess what that sky would look like. As the darken comes in on us earlier these days the stars for some reason seem to be even more intense. I'm so glad I get to live here and on occasion share this with friends. I know that you may be along way from what we saw that night and returning may be in the distant future but remember when you look into the sky where ever you are you are building memories. Cheers and we would be delighted to welcome you home to Sunny Rock B&B anytime. S
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2012

After reading two prior reviews from, “the young professionals” giving Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast only two stars, I feel compelled to write my own.

It was my husbands 40th and he didn’t want a big party he wanted a nice relaxing holiday with fishing, canoeing and children free! Our gracious hosts Sally and Jan gave us that, R & R, and so much more. It began with a very warm greeting and lovely tour of their piece of history, and heaven on Sunny Rock. When we saw the incredible views we knew we had made a good decision to come here.

Yes we were given a quick rundown of the water safety rules which is fine and expected! Firstly it is their home and they loan the canoes free of charge so naturally she would be very worried to loan her boats out to inexperienced swimmers. Even the strongest of swimmers can quickly find themselves in trouble. How is a nurse or surgeon useful in a water accident are they also trained in water rescue? Not sure why they felt above the water safety rules?

My husband graciously out of RESPECT of the owner listened to the rules as she would be unaware of the fact that he has maneuvered canoes in class three rapids on several solo trips and is a highly trained in all levels of water rescue. She definitely did not make us feel like we had “entered boot camp”. She came across as caring, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Where do we begin… thank-you Sally, Jan, and Ace, for a wonderful weekend, we felt so welcome in your home. Your little slice of heaven beside the river was such a great way to get away from it all. Loved the player piano, the warm cozy fire in the original log house, and your stories were wonderful. Our room was so nice with our own private steam shower and fireplace (which we never needed because we felt so welcome in the common areas)

As for the comment on the dishes I find that hard to believe because on the night of my husband’s birthday we had a tiny cake at 10:30 p.m. after coming home from dinner. When I got up to do the dishes at around midnight before turning in for the night they were done! Thanks again ladies!

Sally and Jan will go out of their way to give you amazing breakfasts that were so filling we ended up skipping lunch both days and having a late afternoon snack instead. For breakfast: We had fruit cups, and yogurt, two kinds of pastry stuffed mushroom caps yummy avocado with tomato, one or two eggs with vegetables and English muffin or toast and bacon Coffee and juice. Not sure why anyone would need bigger portions or seconds?

On a Side note if you are into Geocaching the Highlands are full of them Sally has a book just ask!
If you are looking for local history, a beautiful setting where you can hear the falls in the Highlands, GREAT food head to Sunny Rock tell them the Lori and Jason sent you! HIGHLY reccommend! Sally, Jan and Adorable Ace looking forward to being stumped at the guessing game on our next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Woodrush Falls view room! HIGHLY recommend it for a romantic getaway or relaxing ho...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martinfamily3plus2
toronto
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here on July 14-15 with our friends (whom also wrote a review under the name Luv2travel0548). As mentioned below the accommodations were adequate and the natural aspects of the surrounding lakes were beautiful.

However, I am absolutely appalled by the ridiculous statements made by margden1 below regarding our "behaviour". I don't quite understand why a 29 year old surgical resident at sunnybrook hospital or his girlfriend who is a manager at a large corporation would be mockingly called "young professionals". I assure you that my friends and I carried ourselves with integrity and respect for others. In fact, the only night we met this couple was briefly for a minute or two on the 15th, where we actually sought shelter from the rain and sat quietly playing board games (where even a co owner of the B&B joined us).

Travelers be fair warned that Sally (owner/operator of the B&B) did indeed treat us like children. I sincerely believe that there was no need for my friends or myself to be babysat in any regard. We only sought out a relaxing getaway from the city and our otherwise hectic and very demanding lives. Rules and regulations for patrons' safety are one thing; however, what we experienced was truly disrespectful. We made every effort to comply to Sally's rules but surly did not deserve this kind of treatment. I did not pay to have Sally give me stern lectures regarding etiquette. We were never loud nor rude. We simply left 2 dishes (others were washed) to soak for 20 minutes as they were greasy from our BBQ lunch and were using a side entrance 3 minutes past 9pm not realizing that it was past 9 (this was a rule of the B&B as it was believed that bats would fly into the house past this time). Clearly these "mistakes" do not justify a PUBLIC REPRIMAND and i was shocked and humiliated to say the least.

Breakfast was well made, however i feel the portions were inadequate and on the small side. We were unable to find the all-day snacks that were mentioned by the reviewer below. The snacks we enjoyed were self supplied.

I would only recommend this B&B for its location and i sincerely hope that this review sheds some light to the obvious problems that need to be addressed.

NP

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank np1111
Thank you for the valued description of our property and bed and breakfast. We are fortunate to be the only B&B in the Haliburton Highlands on 3 different types of water. Canning Lake is across the road with access from the area of the Scott's Dam...the waters of Canning Lake flow over the Scott's Dam and make a wonderful waterfall...and these waters flow in to the Drag River creating the exceptional view. Our Woodrush Fallsview Suite, Walterwindsong Riverview Suite and Pine Studio Suites all look out onto the falls and the river...guaranteeing that guests will see the wildlife on and around the river. In each suite is a guest comment book where guests can describe their experience, who they encountered, what they saw from their suite balcony and the shared moments with the owners and innkeepers. These comments are on our website on the rooms and rates page for each suite or room. These 1200+ comments speak for themselves and tell a very different version of guest experiences.

Our B&B philosophy for the past 17 wonderful years has been creating an experience and valuing "friends, family and wow". The public spaces include ample decks and a huge sunroom allow for socializing, sharing a beverage and and great conversation. We love learning about our guests, value their experiences and travel. In our 17 years we can honestly say that there have been only 3 or 4 couples who came to visit who had clearly no interest in learning about Jan and I and were into their own party and socializing. Intuitively we would offer and share what the house and owners can provide, share some expectations from a distance and then back away allowing the guests to build their own experiences....and we are comfortable with this. For example: we are delighted to offer our guests the use of a kitchenette for the preparation of lunch and dinners and a BBQ and our expectations are that the area be cleaned up to how we provided it. Our expectation is that all Dishes, glasses and cutlery be washed and put away following the meal so that others can use the areas if they wish...they too should also be given a clean kitchen to start their meal preparation. Should these expectations not be honoured (one dish or 15 dishes) I feel comfortable mentioning my wishes in the event that the next drink was prepared, socializing took over and the areas clean up was forgotten. Mmmm clearly the comment about unfinished cleanup began an irreparable relationship stress. Comments from guests like "we have never been asked to do dishes at any resort before why would we do it here". Part of that comment can be taken as a compliment...our home feels big enough to be "lodge like" however although portions of this building was one the main building of a lodge...we remind our guests that this beautiful place is our home and we are a bed and breakfast

On a number of occasions following this first conflict both Jan and I knew that we needed to somehow allow the 2 couples to know that we only had their best interest in mind. They had come to the Haliburton Highlands when it was in a fire ban so no campfires were allowed however we offered the candle in a big pickle bottle and placed it in the center of their strategically placed chairs on the deck. Returned another time and offered beverages. And yet another time and offered Kawartha Dairy Ice Cream. Each of these moments allowing for guest and innkeeper interaction, I can only conclude, were looked at as being "baby sitting". Clearly our intentions were very different.

Guests who enjoy and value our environment and respect our home and requests are those who take the simplest of messages to heart. For example we are so fortunate to have this huge 25 window, 2 sliding patio doors and one hinged door, sunroom. Displayed on the screen of the sliding door is a sign, for everyone to see, asking that everyone "please use only the hinged door at dust to prevent bats from entering the house". Usually with this reminder is a short anecdotal story about the time that is required for Ace and I to excavate the bats and that we're would prefer not to have these experiences in this heat. Followed by a "Please help us by using only hinged doors at dusk". Clearly our comments and reminders were seen as a reprimand....mmmm it was just too hot for bat excavation!!!! And besides everyone else in the house at the time respected and comprehended the request.

Our goal with 4 suites and 4 rooms is to foster harmony and to orchestrate ways that everyone can co exist and share the spaces and equipment we offer. To do this we have created standard messages and expectations. We love it when guests welcome our respect for them and they for us and our property. We would love it if we could please everyone all of the time!

For the reader of these guest comments please know that we value everyone who walks over our threshold. we know you bring your unique experiences with you on our journey and our job is to help you have an enriched experience in our home and the Haliburton Highlands. Two couples experiences do not make the story you read true.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband and I booked two night's holiday July 15-16 at Sunny Rock. We had never visited here before, but Sunny Rock and Sally had come highly recommended. We enjoyed two days of her delectable breakfasts, all-day snacks, and beautiful accommodation. The setting is amazing and opportunities to explore the waterways and local area were inviting. She suggested restaurant destinations and even offered discount vouchers for several. Sally could not have been more accommodating. She listened, we made camping connections; she shared tips and suggestions for future overseas travel. She generally made us feel like old friends. We usually don't write online reviews, but felt compelled because we had such a wonderful time, and because we saw the ridiculous review that "Luv2travel05485" had written. We stayed at Sunny Rock over the same weekend as they, and had the opportunity to witness their appalling behaviour and general lack of consideration for the owners and other guests. The presence of this group of 'young professionals' was our only negative experience at Sally's. They were extremely rude and immature, and their review should be interpreted in this light. Without exception, Sally treated them kindly but firmly given the rude treatment she had to deal with from them. We agree with all of the other reviews, and would recommend Sunny Rock to anyone seeking a relaxing getaway in beautiful Ontario cottage country.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank margden1
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Having a demanding week ahead of me, I needed a comfortable, clean, space to sleep and have breakfast. The Sunny Rock and Host Sally far exceeded any expectations I had. Following a warm welcome, I was given a tour of the beautiful and historic property, located adjacent to Scott's Dam. The flowing water over the rocks, the resident osprey, blue heron and gull are at home at the water's edge. There are large decks surrounding the property so a guest can easily join in with others, or find a quiet place to themselves. Having the ability to use the guest kitchen or BBQ was a real added bonus, as at the end of a very busy day, I could simply come "home" make a simple meal and put my feet up and enjoy the views.
The Sunny Rock is "air-conditioned" by a steady fresh breeze flowing through the house. My room, which was smaller than the suites, had three windows, and an fan. Every detail had been arranged, with convenient lighting, clock radio/alarms, clean towels, fresh bedding (handmade quilts), and reading material of many genres. Although I was not there to watch T.V., there is a large T.V. in one of the common areas for guests, and others are provided if requested. Sally arranged a beautiful and sustaining hot breakfast each morning at a time that was convenient for my schedule. She was extremely accommodating to me and made every effort to ensure that my stay was safe, comfortable and relaxing. I feel that I have found a "home away from home" and a new friend who will welcome my whenever I can arrange to come back to the Sunny Rock. I would recommend this B & B very highly.

Room Tip: The two large suites are ideal for a special get away or occasion. Views are outstanding. Ask abou...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Nancy N
So any thanks for your wonderful comments. It is folks like yourself that truly get the tranquil cottage like setting in the Haliburton Highlands. To be able to leave the stresses of another place and enter in to this grounded environment would be a positive experience for some. I would agree We sure did have a wonderful time and I will look forward to welcoming you home sometime soon. Cheers. S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minden
Heather Lodge
Oakview Lodge & Marina
Oakview Lodge & Marina
#2 of 4 in Algonquin Highlands
Wild Swan Bed & Breakfast Inn

Been to Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast Minden? Share your experiences!