“Such relaxing”

Admiral Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Slano
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Spent a week at Admiral Grand in August. Hotel was busy but still had an aire of relaxation. There were still plenty of sun loungers and towels available late morning and so no need to get up early "to book.'

Breakfast too was great and no rush to finish aftet the oficial time.

Would recommend for a rlaxing week in the sun.

Room Tip: We took advise and went for the top floor room away from the lifts ... ended up with corner room so...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Birstoori

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We visited at the beginning of August with a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 10 year old boys). We booked our transfer from the airport through the hotel which was arranged easily via email. We were picked up at the airport in a mini van which had plenty of room for our luggage and ourselves and all went smoothly. Upon our arrival at the hotel we were delighted to be upgraded to rooms with a partial sea view rooms having booked mountain view rooms. Rooms were spotlessly clean, as was the whole hotel. Beds were a little on the firm side, but despite that I slept really well during our whole stay. It usually takes me a couple of days to get used to sleeping in a different bed and I often don't sleep well on holiday, but I slept like a log for the whole week! The aircon was really excellent and quiet and kept the room nice and cool despite going up to 40 degrees during the day outside.

The hotel is located in a really pretty location in the village of slano. The beach is manmade and the stones can be quite sharp so it is advisable to take water shoes to use use when walking on the beach into the sea. Even though we visited at peak time, the beach was fairly peaceful and we never had a problem getting sunbeds, although we did tend to get up fairly early and went to the beach straight after breakfast to make the most of our holiday. Kayaks pedalo and windsurf hire was available at the hotel, all reasonably priced. Pools were saltwater and were clean and not crowded.

Service at the hotel was excellent with friendly and attentive. Particular mention must be made of the restaurant staff who were very attentive.

Food was good - we booked on half board basis so had breakfast and evening meal in the restaurant. Plenty of choice for breakfast and you could request freshly cooked eggs and omelette if you wished. Dinner was excellent which plenty of choice which had some variation from night to night. My favourite was the venison which was on the menu one evening during our stay. It was cooked to perfection. The lamb was excellent too. My only gripe is with regard to the drinks. The wine was expensive and you had to pay in the region of 190 kuna for a reasonable bottle of wine. Also, draft beer was not available in the restaurant, only in the beach bar. I do enjoy a cocktail but would not recommend cocktails at the beach bar - my mojito had too much ice and was very weak. The cocktails at the main hotel bar were better but they were pricey. I had cheaper and better cocktails at the next hotel we stayed at the following week in Dubrovnik.

All the adults in the party had a massage at the hotel and we all thought the treatments were very good. In particular I would recommend the sea salt massage which was invigorating rather than relaxing and left the skin feeling very smooth and soft. I used the gym a couple of times which was basic but had everything I needed.

We ordered lunch at the beach bar (pizzas) to eat on the beach a couple of days which were mediocre. We preferred to have lunch at the little restaurant over the road from the hotel which served some reasonable salads and good pizzas.

One day we hired a boat from the boat hire (walk out the front of the road and turn left) and took a trip round the islands. It was big enough for 6 of us and we had a very enjoyable day. The boys enjoyed the watersports on offer and although the hotel did not have much else in the way of entertainment for children, it was fine for us as we did not really want a noisy hotel with children's entertainment laid on.

All in all, a really excellent first week to our holiday and a peaceful and relaxing time before our second week which was spent in Dubrovnik.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Sazzle109
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Recently returned from a weeks half board stay at this fantastic hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel for its cleanliness, service, food and fantastic amenities. Bedrooms and bathroom are very modern and spacious with all the mod cons.
The hotel is located right on its own private beach with a beautiful outdoor and indoor pool.
Slano is a beautiful quiet village, I would recommend to hire a car so you can truly experience beautiful Croatia. Excursions from the hotel were expensive so I would recommend catching the local bus into Dubrovnik and using that as a base to see some of the 1000 islands.

All in all a brilliant holiday and I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank thehungrytraveller1
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Spend a week here in July 2013 and we were very impressed with the hotel and the beauty of the location.
The hotel is quite new and modern and everything is in great condition and of good quality, the interiors are lovely and the rooms very comfortable with nice spacious bathrooms and everything you need, hairdryer (in bathroom), air con, mini bar, safe, comfortable beds, balcony and plenty of space and in our room a small sofa also.
The TV is average size for a hotel and there is only a news channel available in English but that wasn't a problem for us.
I did take a few extra hangers and found them useful.

There is a very nice indoor pool and jacuzzi area with hot water showers.
There is a shop that sells gifts and clothes and a spa centre though I didn't use it.
There is a mini market just moments from the front door for water, fruit or any small items you might need.
The hotel can organise trips also, you need to speak to a young lady who is there in the mornings and evenings for this reason.
We did the 3 island trip and the trip to Mljet island. While I enjoyed them they are not cheap and I think I might sort out visiting the islands myself by the ferry from Dubrovnic if I was to do it again. It gets very hot on the replica Galleon which isn't very comfortable and you eat a very meagre lunch in the full sun.

There is a large pool outside which is saltwater like the indoor pool. The pools were quiet and they are spacious which made for great swimming.
There were lots of sun loungers but as happens so much at hotels some were reserved by towels early in the day by people who then disappeared for hours on end.

We did manage to get some whenever we wanted them however as many people use the little man made beach as you get a lovely breeze from the water there to help keep cool.
There is a bar by the pool and lunch is also served there as well as coffee, ice cream etc.
We found that there was a lovely relaxed feel in the pool area, it wasn't noisy or hectic just relaxing with everything you need really and a fantastic view over the bay which is very pretty indeed.
There is a little coffee shop which is part of the hotel which can be accessed from one side and which sells delicious strudel and coffee cake etc which I would recommend.

The hotel is very quiet in the evenings with very few people using the bar area when we were there. There is some evening entertainment but again not many people watching and sadly feels a bit deserted in the evenings which is one of the down sides. Most people seem to go to their rooms after the evening meal. It was a bit more lively on the Dalmation evening with some traditional music being played.

Slano itself is a very sleepy place with not a lot happening but it has a charming feel. There is a lovely little church in the village. It is quite green and backed by hills/mountains covered in pines I think.

You can walk along the edge of the bay in both directions and admire the views, particularly recommended at sunset. There is a great view of the hotel if you walk around to the left of the hotel as you look at the entrance.
There are usually little fishing boats and a few yachts around in the bay which is very secluded and has a narrow opening to the sea.

The main drawback really was that you are a reasonable distance from Dubrovnic and it's about 40 minutes on the bus but there are regular buses from right outside the hotel.
We wanted to walk around the old city walls in Dubrovnic but had to take a taxi there as the first bus doesn't leave until 9am and it would have been too hot on our walk on the walls.
As it was we finished the walk on the walls at about 11am and it was very hot by then so I wouldn't recommend doing it during the heat of the day.

We found the staff to be very professional, polite and helpful. We were always found a nice table in the restaurant where we used to sit in the outside area admiring the bay which eating.
We were half board and the meals were very good, lovely breakfast and evening meal with plenty of choice and very good quality meat. I also enjoyed the vegetables and the sauces and the desserts. There was 'breaded frogs' on the menu one night, but I have to admit that I didn't try them nor was I tempted but everything else was delicious.

We were certainly in the minority as guests from the UK with only a few others but this didn't affect our enjoyment. We were the only ones who arrived there and returned from there on our flight.

This was our first visit to Croatia but hopefully not our last, I would recommend the Admiral Grand to anyone wanting a quiet break in a picturesque and charming location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Mary S
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

Liked the bathroom (not a shower cabin but bathroom) with glass door preventing from splashes to the floor. Room has a control panel for both air conditioner(works only when balcony door is closed), clean services, do not disturb and "people insight". Long beach, can always find a place to seat. Personnel is very helpful: you don't have to wait for omelette to be cooked, just order and they'll bring it to your table, etc.
Sport: you can rent kayak, catamaran and enjoy calm water (bay is covered from the strong stream). Towels are not registered, you just take it.

To improve. Replace twin beds with double. There should be pebble beach, but crushed stones instead, always need to have shoes to walk. Don't have "all inclusive" option, have to pay for lunch and drinks and sign bills on it each time. Russian-speakers and German guys are waking up early, booking places on beach with towels and leaving to have a breakfast or get extra sleep.

Extra facts: 50% are Russian-speakers (mostly UA).

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Kapamoba
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I can say I've enjoyed it there, they have a private beach, a bit of a problem is that those small stones are quite sharp but they have a lot of sun beds and lot's of umbrellas.

Service is very good.

Internet is terrible you'll be limited to 1.1 mbit/s download and 0.09 upload so don't expect uploading an image to TripAdvisor :(

TV is a flat tv but in 4:3 format and small as an iPad :)

But like I've said the stay is pleasant it was nice.

Beware that there's nothing to do there. Outside of the hotel you have 2 restaurants and two bars. If you walk a kilometer or so there are 3 more restaurants, but that's it.

We've been with a kid and we like the quietness so it was great for us.

I would go back again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Samek7
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This modern hotel is well worth 5 stars.
Well situated and very quiet and not too far from Dubrovnik.
The rooms are comfortable; sea view upgrade is definitely recommended!
The buffets are very tasty and the service is perfect.
The fantastic indoor pool is definitely an advantage in rainy weather.
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Room with sea view at a higher level
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank anita_colders
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slano
Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel
Hotel Osmine
Hotel Osmine
#2 of 3 in Slano
Sheraton Dubrovnik Riviera Hotel

Been to Admiral Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!