“Delightful cottage in a wonderful setting”

Review of Bwthyn Mair

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Diana S
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Delightful cottage in a wonderful setting”
Reviewed 11 August 2017 for a stay in August 2017

I'm loving being at Tafarn Trip
But soon I'll have to get a grip
'Cos Saturday's the day we leave
And for this place I know I'll grieve.
We've had the most amazing time
The cottage here is quite divine
So comfortable and well equipped.
Enjoyed the wine which soon got sipped.
I love the old stone staircase - a rarity indeed
Be sure to use it slowly, no need to rush at speed.
I adore the massive fireplace and the old timber walls
There isn't any tv but I don't miss that at all.
The garden meadow's full of flowers
Could sit out there for hours and hours.
It's in a simply smashing spot
And good weather has helped a lot.
Been on the train rowed on the lake
Walked miles and miles for heaven's sake.
Visited Blaenau in the sun
(Not something that I've often done!)
Loved hearing the route the steam trains takes
As they whistle their way around the lake.
But our trip to Rhaeadr Ddu waterfall
Was probably the best of all.
So would I come back here again
You bet I would - even in the rain!

Watched pink sunsets across the lake
These are some of the memories I'll take
Back home with me from Bwythyn Mair -
That we had a really good time there.

(Bwythyn Mair is also known as Tafarn Trip)

I'm loving being at Tafarn Trip
But soon I'll have to get a grip
'Cos Saturday's the day we leave
And for this place I know I'll grieve.
We've had the most amazing time
The cottage here is quite divine
So comfortable and well equipped.
Enjoyed the wine which soon got sipped.
I love the old stone staircase - a rarity indeed
Be sure to use it slowly, no need to rush at speed.
I adore the massive fireplace and the old timber walls
There isn't any tv but I don't miss that at all.
The garden meadow's full of flowers
Could sit out there for hours and hours.
It's in a simply smashing spot
And good weather has helped a lot.
Been on the train rowed on the lake
Walked miles and miles for heaven's sake.
Visited Blaenau in the sun
(Not something that I've often done!)
Loved hearing the route the steam trains take
As they whistle their way around the lake.
But our trip to Rhaeadr Ddu waterfall
Was probably the best of all.
So would I come back here again
You bet I would - even in the rain!

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Whyboo
“Hit and Miss”
Reviewed 15 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

My family and I booked this cottage - known as Tafarn Trip, as per the sign on the side wall - for a week whilst we explored the Snowdonia region; Snowdonia is a beautiful area of Wales and well worth a visit. The cottage is described as 17th century, and indeed does look the part with all the original features one would expect and it was very cosy. However, there are some things which need addressing, which I will detail here.

The Garden
Whilst the garden is pretty - a typical chocolate box garden, if you like - with its lake side setting it is relatively small; I only mention this as in the promotional write ups it looks huge (wide angle lens at play on this). Also - and rather disappointingly - despite there being a no dogs policy, we counted several piles of dog mess in the garden. Not nice if you were not on the look out for it.

The Cottage
The kitchen only had one tea towel (that we could see), which is inadequate for a family of three for 7 days. There was also not much cupboard space to store shopping in. I'd take a set of sharp knives with you too as those in the kitchen drawers are blunt; imagine cutting chicken with a spoon and you'll be about right.

The living room
The living room was cosy, and had some lovely old beams on display which was great. However, the seating leaves a lot to be desired. One sofa (slightly larger than a two seater, but no more), a single chair, and a wicker chair. Sitting for prolonged periods in either of the single chairs becomes very uncomfortable quite quickly. A better alternative would have been two sofas of a three and two seater arrangement. The open fire is nice, but having paid an extra £30 for a fuel supplement we were a little upset that we only received about 5 or 6 logs on arrival; these did not last the night, and we were pleased we brought our own with us for the first night.

The Stairs
One of our biggest gripes. Whilst these are again Olde Worlde and traditional they are LETHAL. Made of large slabs of slate they are like glass, they are that smooth. They are also uneven. Shoes MUST be worn all the time on these otherwise you WILL slip and that does not bear thinking about.

Upstairs
Upstairs the floor is varnished wood, and again is very slippy. There are rugs, but they are just as slippy. Be careful.

Bedrooms
The bedrooms are cosy. The 'white room' with the double bed is nice...apart from the double bed; if you can find one that makes more noise with the slightest of movements than the one in this room then you'd be very unlucky. Every roll over, stretch, basically any movement at all and you wake up the person sleeping next to you - and in all likelihood, those in the rooms next to yours too. It is really bad, so don't expect much sleep...for the wrong reasons! Storage was a bit of an issue and we ended up putting our stuff in the unused bedroom.

There was only 1 towel per person for use in the shower / bath. Again for a family of 3 for a week this was just silly.

Whilst we knew there were neighbours next to the cottage - and they seemed really nice - they do have right of way in to and out of their property. This was very noticeable. They and any visitors they receive have to stop outside the front window to open a farm gate, drive through, and then close it again. In the space of an hour we had this happen no fewer than 7 times, and it is fairly consistent.

Parking is a joke to be honest. Whilst it does mention that there is no parking at the cottage, you are expected to park across the road, on the grass verge...unless someone else beats you to it, visiting the cottage neighbours; this happened to us. This is on a blind bend, and at night is pitch black as it is also unlit.

The Oakley Arms is a nice pub just down the road, and does some nice beers and ales; the Snowdon lager was nice, and the Oakley Dokely bitter too. Staff very friendly and the food was good.

Bounce Below was different...and tiring! Fun though.

Port Meirion was interesting, and getting to see The Village (from The Prisoner series) was great. Do visit The Prisoner shop for all things Prisoner themed. Nice tshirts and it's the 50th anniversary of the cult series this year (2017).

Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our time here. But for almost £700 for a week in the April holidays? Would I recommend it to friends? No, not really...unless the price comes down by £100, and even then it's still quite dear. We have stayed in better for less, without nearby neighbours, and with private parking.

These comments are meant as constructive criticism and hopefully not to be taken personally by the owner.

Management Response
25 Apr 2017
Dear Whyboo,

Thank you very much for your review, and we're so sorry to hear that your holiday wasn't quite as perfect as you'd hoped. We have discussed your review with the owner and they have provided some responses to your comments below. They appreciated the feedback, and have taken them as constructive where appropriate.

The Garden
The garden is enclosed and is not accessible to the neighbour’s dogs and is checked prior to each stay by the housekeeper. However, the owner checked the garden 3 days after your occupancy and did find one small pile of excrement. He apologises that this was there but thinks it may be caused by a fox as it is common.

The Cottage
The kitchen has extra tea towels easily accessible under the oven gloves in the open pine unit under the toaster. There are more tea towels and dish cloths in the drawer of the pine dresser.
There is a large cupboard at the bottom of the dresser with empty food storage boxes for shopping, as well as the fridge and freezer.
In the cutlery drawer there is a steel should the knives need sharpening.

The Living Room
The two armchairs are standard chairs purchased from a well known shop new in 2014. There have been no adverse comments to date, but we will monitor for wear and tear as with all other furniture.
The pack of logs is part of the owners welcome, in addition to a bottle of wine and some cakes (as well as a free telephone and WIFI).
The winter fuel charge is for the liquid gas central heating, guests are expected to buy more logs if they require them.

The Stairs
The stone stairs are an original part of this cottage built around 1630. They are worn and the owner welcomed your suggestion in their comments book and have applied an anti-slip product to them.

Upstairs
The waxed floors in the through bedroom have large rugs which have an anti-slip backing. The owner checked these on his visit this week and found that they are secure and do not slip. There is a similar rug on the landing where the floor is treated with an anti-slip product.
The rugs in the other two bedrooms have a separate anti-slip liner placed beneath them. He will replace these bedside rugs with similar rugs to those in the through bedroom.

Bedrooms
The beds were purchased new in 2014 and we have many comments in our guest book about the “comfortable beds”. The owner will check any loose fittings or connections to reduce any movement noise, if any.

Towels
A large bath towel is supplied for each person and hand towels in the kitchen and utility room. If extras are required, a request to the housekeeper can be made.

Traffic and Parking
It seems that you experienced an unusual and exceptional amount of traffic during your and the owner apologises for this, but it is obviously out of their control. There are 3 parking places immediately across the road and it most unusual for them all to be in use. There is more parking a short distance away.

The owner was really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and they wanted to reassure you that they have taken your constructive remarks seriously, and look forward to hosting many happy guests in the future.
CarolB190...
“Didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed 17 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

Wonderful cosy cottage in a gorgeous location. Fully equipped, the owners have thought of everything, but still retains its 17th century charm. Nice welcome pack left for us on arrival. The lake is simply stunning. Very peaceful, other than occasional barking of neighbours dogs and the whistle of the steam trains passing on the hillside behind the cottage.

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing