“I want to go back !!”

Oakeley Arms Hotel
Newport, United Kingdom
“I want to go back !!”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Had a great chill out at the weekend in North Wales.We stayed at the Oakeley and it was just what we needed , real people , real beer , great meals ( thanks Mair) and a beautiful area with great mountains to walk !
So refreshing from the pretence that we all live in nowadays.
We will be back !!

Room Tip: We had room 14 at the front - beautiful view.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Toni G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2011

The service was nice but the food was not! Felt like we were eating cafeteria food at a summer camp that was not very good. I would not recommend this if you are visiting the area.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cMcJ10
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Have only eaten here rather than stayed and have not been impressed with the quality of the food- there's plenty of it but of what I've had it's not 'home cookong' and pretty pricy for what it is. Ales good, nice homely place, comfortable with toasty logburners in lovely situation make me go back...just be nice if food quality was better.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Aloverboard
Wicklow, IE
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Spacious room, very clean with tea & coffee. Ensuite very good with large bath. Yes its close to the road, I slept in a room with three windows facing the road but had great sleep and no noise for me Nice spot and a very nice breakfast. Lots of car parking.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Happy_IE
Portchester
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I stayed here with a group of friends following a visit to Snowdon. The Oakeley Arms was recommended to us by a work mate who uses the hotel whenever he is in the area. Having spent the weekend climbing we wanted somewhere that was warm and welcoming and not expencive. We were given a warm welcome by the owner and shown to our rooms. Clenanliness was first class and the room and en-suite facilities were very comfortable. Colour TV and tea/coffee makings were supplied.
Having taken a well deserved shower we all met in the bar for dinner. There were a good selection of beers and real ales as well as wines and spirits. The food can only be discribed as FANTASTIC! with a good and varied menu. Try the curry, you won't be dissapointed. The staff were both professional and friendly, we even learnt a little Welsh. "Diolch yn fawr iawn"
Following a good nights sleep we met in the dining room for a wonderful cooked breakfast that set us up for our journey home.
Would I recomend this hotel to others? Yes, most definatly.
If you are looking for a clean, friendly, good value hotel with fantastic food and plenty of free parking, you need look no further.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Earl68
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I booked two single rooms for me and my Dad when we went to the area to climb Snowden. Many of the hotels in the area would not accept single night bookings at the weekend but this one did. I was a little concerned about what to expect after reading other reviews on this website. The hotel is on a main road but was it was not that noisy. The pub downstairs is in need of decoration but the staff were polite enough. My room was really nice, a big single room with a huge bathroom. It was clean and nicely decorated. My Dad's room wasn't quite as nice and the bathroom was a little shabby but it was still clean and comfortable. The showers were excellent in both rooms, very hot and good water pressure. We ate in the bar in the evening. There was a choice of the usual pub food and it was very good value and quality. The breakfast in the morning was also good. There was, fruit juice cereals, yoghurts and fresh fruit that you could help yourself to, along with butter and jams. They brought you tea and coffee with toast and your choice of cooked breakfast. The only annoying part was that there is no real reception and when we were leaving in the morning I had to wait a while and look for a member of staff so I could pay my bill.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank jhcambridge
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2011

A group of us from work decided to undertake the National Three Peaks Challenge for charity. The challenge finished in Snowdon and we were after a place to relax and unwind. We were recommended this hotel by a work colleague who has stay here many times. We are so glad we took his advice as our stay was just what we needed. We were warmly welcomed by the staff who were very pleasant and friendly. The room were spacious, clean and comfortable. Although the hotel in on the main road we didn't notice the traffic. The food was spot on and very well priced. The overall hospitality was wonderful, just what we need. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing stay. The hotel is ideally located for those wanting plenty to do or for those wanting a relaxing time.

• Stayed May 2011
Royal Oak Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
#3 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia

Been to Oakeley Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!