“Deep Mine - Fab tour!”

Llechwedd Slate Caverns
More attraction details
Owner description: Llechwedd where history and adventure collide to make a great day out for the whole family.
Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

We booked in advance for a deep mine tour and took advantage of the early bird offer. It was £10 each instead of the usual £20.
We arrived at 0845 for our 0930 tour and the car park was already filling up. We headed in at 0900 and the tickets did say to be there 15 minutes in advance. We obtained our ticket and headed to the deep mine. There wasn’t anyone around and didn’t know whether we should put the overalls on ready. I wish we had as it would’ve been a fab photo opportunity for my 5 year old!
Other people started to arrive - there were 13 in the tour.
We were met by Captain Caveman and we headed to the train to take us underground.
We had a fabulous underground tour - my son even got the chance to push the plunger for the dynamite. He loved it! I was worried what he’d be like (as he’s 5) but he loved it. The tour is taken at an easy pace and there was lots for him to do!
Highly recommended!!

Kate K, Manager at Llechwedd Slate Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our tour. I am delighted you enjoyed yourself and your son had the opportunity to bring the tour to life. Thank you for your comments about our Captain Caveman (AKA Phil!).

Write a ReviewReviews (1,412)
All reviews
in 42 reviews
"light show"
"great visit"

Reviewed 1 November 2017

An unexpected and pleasant tour to Llechwedd slate mines turned out to be an amazing day out. Not what I expected, out tour guide Phil took us back in time to the start of the quarry era and the following years and generations of mining in the Llechwedd caverns. Phil was extemely knowlagable and presented his tour to our group in a very interesting manor. I enjoyed it so much I want to return with my grandchildren. Well done Phil!

Thank you Lynda for your lovely review I will pass on your thanks to Phil.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely helpful staff over the phone before choosing my activities.
My little boy is 5 and we enjoyed the Quarry ride experience in the old army van. The tour guide was brilliant with loads of information.

Then we had lunch and headed to the Deep Mine which my little boy also enjoyed. The guide here was also brilliant.

The only disappointing bit was the food offering in the main cafe. What we had (soup and a pie), was nice, it was nothing special. Next time I would take a picnic.

Kate K, Manager at Llechwedd Slate Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Many thanks Lucy for your review. I'm pleased you all enjoyed both tours.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Our tour guide Phil was great! Coming from 6 generations of slate miners made our tour even that much more interesting and authentic.....definitely worth seeing!

Thank you Angie for making Phil's day!! He is really passionate about the slate industry and his family's history and appreciates it when others enjoy listening to his story.

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Another great day out learning about the history of mining in Wales. The underground mine tour is really worthwhile and enjoyable however it is the quarry Explorer tour that really got my family enthusing. All loading up on the back of an ex army vehicle, you get a totally different view of the landscape and get to visit areas that have been previously off limits.

I'm pleased you managed to do both tours and delighted that you loved the Quarry Explorer tour so much! Thank you for taking the time to review our site.