“Owner needs to disclose truth about facilities”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Astillero
Las Plumerias Lodge and Surf
Ranked #1 of 1 El Astillero B&B and Inns
Ontario
“Owner needs to disclose truth about facilities”
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Although you can see the ocean from the lodge you are nowhere near a beach. The closest beach is a 15 minute walk with no access, no surf, and across private property. The closest surfing beach is a 10-15 minute car ride to El Astillero followed by a 1-1.5 mile walk down the beach to where the break is surfable. The alternative is a 10-15 minute car ride to Popoyo followed by a 10 minute walk to the break.
The owner has one laptop computer with a 2G satellite USB plug in and therefore it takes roughly 20 minutes just to check your email.
The walls of the cabins do not extend to the ceiling and as a result the rooms are full of insects. The first night I killed a scorpion on my bed's bug netting. When I asked the owner,(Etienne) if these scorpions were poisonous he said " no I've been bitten lots of times, only causes redness, swelling and stinging along with your mouth going dry". (That's poisonous by the way). Every morning I watched as Hornets built a nest on the ceiling above my bed. I informed Etienne of this on several occasions only to be given the reply of "yeah,I'll take care of it". Nest was still there when I left.
The rooms have no air conditioning, no hot water, very little water pressure, tiny beds, and the toilet is a bench with hole cut out of it and a toilet seat placed over the hole. Below the bench is a 20 gallon plastic bucket into which you relieve yourself. The owner calls this a "chemical toilet".
The food is good but not plentiful, you are served 3 meals a day but that is it, there is no other food or snacking and no where to get food as you need a car to go anywhere. For 100.00 dollars US a night this seems very expensive for basically a tent and 3 meals a day in a 3rd world country. If you want to surf the price is up to 142.00 dollars a day,($1000.00 for a week). This includes board rental and instruction. Etienne is a fair surf instructor but I often was confused by what were seemingly contradictory instructions, possibly a language or cultural barrier was the problem. Etienne would often give instructions on surfer etiquette but told me "even if you have the right of way on the wave get off if someone else drops in on you because I have to keep things friendly with the locals". Although this is good PR for him and I understand, it didn't do me any good giving up waves to keep Etienne happy, not at 142.00 dollars a day.
Overall I would not recommend staying here simply because of the high cost with very little in return, you can get a nice room with hot water, air conditioning and on the beach, in Popoyo for less than the 100.00 dollars a night you are paying at Las Plumerias

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
14 Thank Sevoman

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
edmonton AB
Reviewed 30 December 2009

We stayed at Las Plumerias, and had the most amazing time. We took surf lessons from Etienne, and he was fantastic. We met new friends, relaxed, ate great food, and enjoyed the beautiful view. If you are looking to get away from the city and enjoy the beauty of Nicaragua, we highly suggest Las Plumerias, it is one of the most amazing places we have ever been.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 13 in Popoyo
Club Surf Popoyo
Club Surf Popoyo
#2 of 5 in Tola

Been to Las Plumerias Lodge and Surf? Share your experiences!