“Very nice hotel in the middle of nowhere” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taua Hotel Atibaia

Taua Hotel Atibaia
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Atibaia
Cary, North Carolina
“Very nice hotel in the middle of nowhere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Overall I enjoyed my 3 night stay at the Taua, except for the location. The biggest reason I give it 3 stars is the location. If you have a car, I'd call this a 4 start hotel. They bill it as a resort and I can sort of see that, but its more of a business meeting hotel from what I saw. I'd call it something like a "mini-resort"; much more than a simple hotel, but not a place I'd want to spend a vacation by any stretch. They have a big nice pool 1 or 2 tennis courts on a fairly large complex (don't think Las Vegas, think compared to an average US hotel). But the hotel is really in the middle of nowhere. If you don't have a car, you'll need to use a taxi or plan to be stuck with only the hotel to entertain and feed you. Even with a car, everything is a pretty good drive away. I'd modify what another reviewer wrote just a bit: good for meetings, not vacation, NOTHING to do nearby.

Room: I had 2 double beds. Room was pretty clean, but one day I noticed spots on the walls where it looked like they had something hanging before and didn't do the best job patching it. Since you're in the middle of nowhere, it was quiet, but there is a freeway not so far. Some rooms might hear some freeway noise, but I didn't. AC was odd. It was fairly new, but it seemed like it didn't matter what temp I set. It was either on or off. Desk area and LCD TV.

Internet: Paid wifi (I think it was 25.99 reals per 24 hours). Speed varied a lot from poor to OK. Never fast.

Bathroom: sink in the room and shower/toilet in a different room. Everything worked fine and was clean, but it took quite a while for the hot water to get hot. Fair amenities.

Location: bad unless you have a car and even then, there's not much within 20 minutes to do. The hotel has a lot of large meeting rooms. There seemed to be a lot of companies having small to large meetings there while I was there. I saw large sections of the restaurant reserved for various groups. Its right off the freeway, but there is no shopping and very few restaurants within 10-20 minutes. In 20 min. you can be in the center if Atibaia, which had a lot of things to do and restaurants.

Hotel grounds/features: NIce exercise room with LCD TV, 3 treadmills, free weights, weight machines, and a bike. No AC so I guess it could be hot depending on the weather. In April, it was cool enough for me. Really nice big pool. Not like other "resorts" I've been to like Hilton Waikoloa in Hawaii or Mandalay Bay in Vegas, but way more than a typical hotel pool. This is a pool kids would like to play in for a long time, BUT there's nothing else that would bring me here for a family vacation. At least 1 tennis court, maybe 2. Pretty nice grounds to walk around. There's a path that seemed like may be designed as a running trail, but I don't think I'd use it for that.

Breakfast/restaurant: Breakfast is included and is very nice with a big assortment of cereals, fruits, juice, breads, "sweets", and even a "diet" table with lower calorie items. The same big room is used as a buffet restaurant for dinner (opens at 7:30). Dinner was also a bit better than average for a buffet, but still buffet food that had been sitting out for a bit. I wish I had gotten the name of the waiter who helped us because he was REALLY nice and spoke English well. I'd was going to write that he accommodated our special requests, but it was really him making offers. For example, one in our party had a nut allergy and didn't want to try the deserts because they often have nuts. The waiter just offered ice cream without prompting and when it came, it was a big sundae, not just a bowl of ice cream. Dinner was fairly expensive (something like 56 reals per person), but had everything included.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Rio de Janeiro
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

Rooms are very spacious, very comfortable, good bathroom. nevertheless, the hotel is near the road, not much to do around. Food is good but they don't vary the dishes served and after 4 days you want something new and different. Conclusion: if you have to go because of a Meeting, it's good. For leisure, I'd go somewhere else. Costão do Santinho is much better (and much more expensive, of course).

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank going-around-10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atibaia
City Center
Faro Hotel Atibaia
Faro Hotel Atibaia
#3 of 12 in Atibaia

Been to Taua Hotel Atibaia? Share your experiences!