“Over the sea”
Review of Hotel La Canna

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Filicudi
Hotel La Canna
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Filicudi
Ottobrunn, Germany
“Over the sea”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We only had lunch on the terrace, from which you can enjoy an unbelievable view over several of the Eolian islands. The location is absolutely quiet. The light breeze often present due to the height (about 100 m above sea level) is just perfect. The personnel was really friendly and helpful, although we had not reserved, as required. At last the food: fish as it should be! Fresh and simple and for a reasonable price. I would have loved to spend a night, too, but we had to leave!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank David C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The most beautiful escape we've ever been to - we felt instantly relaxed. Our room was so spacious and had a stunning view. The food was so delicious and they has a fantastic selection of wines. The pool was also lovely and the only one on the island apparently!

Room Tip: Room nine was gorgeous
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane H
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This was probably my eleventh or twelfth trip to Filicudi. I've always been at the same time of year (late September/early October) & I've always stayed at La Canna. I don't think I've ever stayed more than a week. The hotel isn't perfect, and it certainly isn't for everyone. So why do I keep coming back?
Firstly, as everyone else has written, there's the view. On a clear day you can see all the Aeolian islands except for Alicudi. It's simply stunning.
Secondly, there's the food, if you like fish. I think I've been offered meat twice in what must be 30 to 40 days on the island & one one occasion this was locally shot rabbit. If you do like fish then this is the healthy "Mediterranean Diet" writ large. There's no menu, it depends what they can get from the local fishermen. There's a poster on the wall if you can't work out what you're being offered. Don't expect anyone will speak much English - only Enzo, the hotel manager, who isn't there all the time, speaks more than a few words.
The rooms are simple, comfortable and clean. Sometimes the water pressure in the shower is a bit low but, given the hotel is on top of a hill and the water is all brought in on a tanker, a sense of proportion helps.
The staff have always treated me in a kind & friendly manner, despite my less-than-perfect Italian. When I've arrived I've been met at the port or they've come after a telephone call. I did once try carrying my rucsac up the steps from the port - not recommended!
It's perhaps worth considering the wider context in which La Canna, and the other Aeolian hotels operate. The season is very short, around two months (July and August), so they try and make their money whilst they can. This is why prices during these months are so high. It also means that many of the people who staff the hotels, even if they were born on the islands, have whole other lives on mainland Sicily for the other ten months of the year. At La Canna that means that the job of hotel manager gets shared between three people. That's why I'd recommend coming, as I do, in the off-season. This does mean a lot of "tourist" things (including La Canna's swimming pool) are shut but all the islands are much nicer when they aren't mobbed with people.
In summary, it's a great place but, if you want nightlife may I suggest Ibiza?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Avro698
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our second visit with friends who live on Filicudi. We like privacy and La Canna has plenty of it. We had a room at the far end of the hotel by the garden with two large patios. The view is indescribable.
I was told La Canna was the Island's first post office and the family , whose patriarch was the postmaster, still runs the hotel. He now is in charge of all the fresh vegetables.
Warm family atmosphere, terrific food great rooms and a friendly staff make La Canna a true Aeolian Island destination . We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Fidenza, Italy
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Clear sea, hot sun, friendly islanders. The hotel is started in Seventy's and it's a peace and tranquillity oasis in an eolian house restored wiith great style. Good food. Very good food. It's a petit Resort far 15 minutes from the sea.

Room Tip: I think 8 and 9.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Torino
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We did not sleep here, but we tried the restaurant several times. Dining on the terrace admiring all the other islands is awesome. The food is good and the menu is changed quite often. The waiters are kind and professionals (quite rare on the island). Strongly recommended.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

A very nice play to stay on Filicudi. The views are beathtaking. The best on our two week tour of the islands. The hotel itself is very comfortably appointed. Nice simple clean rooms. All with great views as far as we could tell. The only swimming pool on the island - handy if you are travelling with children and there are medusas about in the sea. Vincenzo (the owner) couldn't have been more helopful and friendly, as were the waiting staff. The food is good honest home cooking and very tasty.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Filicudi
B&B Villa La Rosa
#2 of 6 in Malfa
Hotel Mea
Hotel Mea
#5 of 33 in Lipari

Been to Hotel La Canna? Share your experiences!