“When a smile is not enough...”
Review of La Grange de Conde

La Grange de Conde
Price range: US$13 - US$64
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Paris, France
“When a smile is not enough...”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The Grange de Condé has all the makings of a quality, upscale country inn/resort, and I was looking forward to some guilty pleasures in their classy restaurant and well upholstered room. Alas, there was no remote for the TV because "previous guests had taken theirs and not yet returned them so the hotel was short...". Said TV cut my sleep short when it turned itself on without my having set it to do so. And the previous night dinner (I was part of a group) had taken more than 3 hours despite a buffet formula.
It takes more than lofty ambitions to deliver a quality performance. At La Grange de Condé, the shell is beautiful, but it is hollow.

• Visited March 2014

Izegem, Belgium
“Outside or inside eating, all possible!”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

On a Sunday noon, with friends (33 persons in total), we had a great lunch at the restaurant Domaine la Grange de Conde. Starting with an apero on the terras overlooking the outside pool, a starter inside a big and pleasant room arranged with tables of 4 to 6 persons, next a sorbet on the terras and the main course inside. Service is very friendly, with attention to detail. Very enjoyable lunch and great taste!

• Visited September 2012
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“an excellent suggestion by Ibis (Woippy)”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

"Les Quatre Veloistes" were en route back from a week in Alsace and stayed overnight at this Ibis hotel (qv). We had intended to try La Vigne d'Adam at Plappeville, but it was closed for hols. The most helpful hotel receptionist recommended La Grange and booked a table for us - it's about 20 minutes drive to Conde.
Having driven through truly torrential rain, we arrived at this slightly nondescript hotel/restaurant and were warmly welcomed. They had booked us a table on the terrace (looked very nice), but though it is under awnings, such was the cacophony of the rain hammering down, we opted for dining inside.
This room was a bit severe as is the nature of many French "serious" eating establishments, but such things worry us not at all, as we come to eat! There were several prixe fixe menus as well as a la carte and a wine list that showed very good value for local wines - i.e. French Moselle (deliciously fresh and slightly citrus) and Luxembourg (wish I had tried that too!).
I'm afraid I have lost the bill and can't remember what we had, other than I know I had the rabbit. However, we all deemed the meal to be excellent and good value for money (+/-£65.00 a head from memory).
The only downsides were seriously slow service - not something I usually mind - and a maitre d' who was rather too "Alan Carr" for my liking (voice pitch does nothing for me!), but pretty good at his job even if tending to be over-attentive.
Overall, not worth a long detour but certainly should be in your list if you are unfortunate to be stuck in Metz or thereabouts.

• Visited August 2012