“Beautiful hotel”
Review of Mas de Fauchon

Mas de Fauchon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Saint-Cannat
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We spent the last night of our stay here before flying from Marseille airport. The hotel is quiet and charming, with lovely grounds. Our room had a private terrace, great for a quiet drink after a long journey. The bathroom was sumptuous. The restaurant was excellent and staff delightful.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mibbly

Reviewed 13 May 2012

I spent two nights at this very pleasant hotel. It is a little hard to find but well worth the search. Originally only a restaurant, the bedrooms have been added and are separate from the main building but have a large central breakfast room. Surrounded by rolling fields and woods, when I was there it was completely quiet. The rooms are extremely comfortable (and modern) with french windows opening onto the gardens - rather romantic. The staff are all efficient and charming. Breakfast is good.
The restaurant is well-known and perhaps because of that the food is, for my tastes, a bit fussy and self-important, although extremely good. I only had the one meal there and I suspect that they would have produced other, simpler dishes if asked.
My only complaint would be that the bedrooms are designed for the summer and the tiled floors are very cold in winter.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gladfin
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The hotel rooms are delightful as they all look out onto small terraces that are right next to the pine-woods and the gardens, which are huge and very pleasing. The staff that we met were all charming. The restaurant is good (not cheap) but very popular with locals at weekends (or it was when we were there). In part you are paying for the gorgeous location you are in - lovely summer evenings in the garden overlooking a very nice Provencal valley vista. We were there in high summer and never even thought of going indoors. Very pleasant pool. Breakfast with lots of lovely local fruit (freshly picked peaches and mmm apricots)!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed here for one night as part of a family trip through Provence. The whole place is really charming and well appointed with wonderful gardens and a fantastic setting in the wooded countryside. We all loved Mas de Fauchon and enjoyed our stay very much. The staff were very professional and the service during dinner was excellent. I agree with the other reviewed that said it is more of a restaurant than a hotel. The rooms are separate from the restaurant and while spacious and perfectly nice they are nothing special. The restaurant is very nice with a lovely outdoor seated area under vines. Very 'Provencial'. Very nice. Food is good but not amazing and very expensive. Rooms are also quite expensive and the whole stay ended up costing far more than I ever imagined a three star country inn could possible cost.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay at mas de Fauchon. We had a very large, quiet room with a patio in the back. and the swimming pool was uncrowded and very pleasant The ride to the hotel is along a narrow country road, but the town of Saint-Cannat is only about a mile away and we found the hotel convenient for exploring the main attractions of Provence. Dinner on the lawn was excellent as was breakfast each day.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2010

A really beautifull, small hotel that used to be a farm, but now offers charming rooms in wooded sarroundings. The food is excellent and of high quality but expensive (eat there every night and it would bankrupt you !) There is a good size pool with waiter service. Close to Aix en Provence and a great stop over if you are heading down or up the Route de Sud. There is a charming "typical" provence village close by where one can eat at more moderate prices. Definitely a place to relax and feel cosseted.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2010

I could give 2 stars since the grounds and the room were nice, but not nice enough to make up for the terrible way we were treated.

We stayed there on our wedding anniversary, which would be ruined were it not for the love we have for each other that surpasses these kinds of problems...

We had a terrible experience at the restaurant. It was so bad I can't even remember the food and the wine... We were the youngest people there (plus, we look quite a bit younger than we are), and we were treated terribly. I can't even begin to tell you what was wrong because it was everything was wrong. We were treated badly throughout our dinner. From being seated at the worst table even though we'd booked in advance and they knew it was our anniversary, to being ignored throughout our dinner - almost to a comical point. It was one of the worst dining experiences I had in my life...

Let me reassure you this was not simply French rudeness... I'm European, I've traveled to France many times, even lived there for a while. I know when they have attitude, and this was way beyond that. This place knew how to serve people right, and they chose not to serve us right. We were dressed impeccably - I had a lovely and not too revealing Tara Jarmon dress on, my husband an Italian suit. We were not drunk, rowdy, loud. We are used to dining at restaurants at similar caliber. I even speak French... I can find no explanation for their behavior other than ageism, classism, and possibly racism. (My husband is part Latino and and our server would not even make eye contact with him - he was rude to me too, but at least looked at me a few times. My husband felt awful).

We actually complained at check out, and received a some of mumbling from the young lady at the desk. She would relay our complaints to the owner. No apology was ever received.

Avoid this place. You can do so much better.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank APS7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Cannat
Moulin de Vernegues Chateaux Hotels Collections
#18 of 69 in Aix-en-Provence
Renaissance Aix-en-Provence Hotel
Renaissance Aix-en-Provence Hote...
#4 of 69 in Aix-en-Provence

Been to Mas de Fauchon? Share your experiences!