“Probably won't be back - Shame”

Hotel Chateau Tilques
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tilques
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Probably won't be back - Shame”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We've stayed at this hotel a few times. Only 30 minutes from Calais so it suits going out and returning to the UK. Nice grounds and you have a choice of the Chateau or the newer section and I think I prefer the newer. Nice walks around the area and they have a nice underused pool. The reason I won't be back - the restaurant. The breakfast is ok, just ok. Dinner is usually also ok but on our last visit just awful. The service was not good at our table but it was faster than the table next to ours. They were still waiting after 40 minutes. Our food was badly presented, cold and just totally unappetising. The wine is ordinary and slightly overpriced. I called the Maître D and complained bitterly telling him the restaurant should be ashamed to serve food this badly. To his credit he offered to replace our meals but this is never acceptable to me. On leaving I also complained to the evening manager. Everyone can have a bad day but it's what you do about it that stays with you. When leaving the next day I was presented with the bill. I asked if they had received my complaint. After some shuffling on their computer I was told "yes". So why have you not deducted the cost. Poor lady then phoned the Maître D and said "You were offered another meal". I told her unfortunately I was unable to pay for this meal. To my amazement she said there was no way to remove the cost because the rate included dinner - What? I said again I would not pay but then she said I must because the manager was away and she had no authority. Why don't I pay and when the manager returned he would call me and arrange a refund. I had a better idea I deducted a reasonable cost of the meal and asked that the manager call me or email me and if he could convince me that the meal was worth paying for, I'd pay.
I'm still waiting for any follow up.
My advice to anyone staying here would be to travel out to eat. There's plenty of nice places fairly nearby. Don't risk a bad evening in the hotel restaurant.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike E
StephaneJoly, Directeur général at Hotel Chateau Tilques, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a complete review of your stay with us. We take the feedback of our guests very seriously and thus we are grateful that you have been so detailed in your review.

It is a pleasure to read that you found grounds nice,nice walk and our pool nice as well.

We wish to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused to you at the restaurant. We highly value your feedback and would be grateful if you could grant us a few minutes of your precious time. We would like to call you at a convenient time to follow-up on your remarks.

We apologize again and do sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Le Château Tilques in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Buckinghamshire, UK
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Our fourth sojourn to Chateau Tilques. This time with old friends from school days. Three rooms in the "new part" of the Hotel - large rooms with comfortable beds and a door directly out onto the Parc. The restaurant, the reason for our visit and our several return visits, did not disappoint. The Menu Gourmand, included in the entirely reasonable half board deal was excellent. Reasonably priced wine complemented the imaginative menu.

Breakfast on the Friday morning was excellent - but the weekend team did not deliver the same excellence on Saturday.

Room Tip: Parc de Pavillion rooms are much nicer than those in the Chateau itself.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
StephaneJoly, Directeur général at Hotel Chateau Tilques, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Sir,

First of all, thank you very much for your loyalty. We are thrilled to hear that you chose Le Château Tilques four times for a weekend!

Thank you very much for your kind comments and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the room, the location, the restaurant.
We have duly noted your remark on the weekend team. Your feedback enables us to improve the quality and consistency of our service delivery.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon at Le Château Tilques with your friends.

Best wishes,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

stayed 1 night in junior suite, very nice room at good price of 180euro without tax and without breakfast. I have stayed in the pavilion in the past and that was fine. The onsite restaurant is superb and the staff were efficient and friendly

Room Tip: if you want a junior suite I would suggest room 11 but they are all very nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
StephaneJoly, Directeur général at Hotel Chateau Tilques, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for your loyalty.
Thank you also for sharing your delightful feedback about Le Château Tilques on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy you found the junior suite very nice, and that you enjoyed the restaurant.
Your very kind words about our staff have already been shared with the entire team and everyone was very glad and proud.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your French Home soon.

Sincerely yours,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on our way down to Reims. Booked dinner at 9pm not considering the time difference. Crossed on eurotunnel and realised my mistake. Phoned the hotel apologised and said we would be there by 10, but they said restaurant closes at 10 - they landed up cooking our meals and serving us in the hotel bar and giving us a drink on the house. Food was very good. We stayed in a standard room in the main house and it was very small. The gardens are stunning and the view when you arrive of the chateau is lovely.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

It is so pleasing to read "Lovely setting, good service".

We are delighted to hear that you found teh food we served to you at the bar very good..

Thank you also for your feedback on the size of your room, the views of our guests are invaluable to us. I will take on board your comment and make sure more information is provided to guests concerning the different categories of rooms and their sizes.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Le Château Tilques.

Yours sincerely,
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here on business for a work's conference. It's an ideal location to explore surrounding countryside and very close to the port yet it feels like another world. However, I have to agree with other contributors that it could really do with a good makeover. Sorry.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 24HoursFromTulsa
Dear Madam, Dear Sir

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Le Château Tilques for your recent stay in France for your work's conference.

We highly value your feedback and would be grateful if you could grant us a few minutes of your precious time. We would like to call you at a convenient time to follow-up on your remarks and have more details.

Kindest Regards
Hampshire
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This Hotel trades on its location, which is beautiful, however all of the rooms are now getting very tired.
The restaurant is good but overpriced, with too many supplements added for basic items ie cheese board. House wine again overpriced.
Breakfast again overpriced for scrambled egg and bacon.
As we were part of a group (19) would we go again, definitely NO.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

We thank you for sharing your opinion after your stay at Le Château Tilques.

Kindest Regards,
Wales uk
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Wonderful setting, beautiful rooms, reception staff delightful. However, the restaurant was disappointing. 45 min wait for the wine and the waiter taking the order. We ended up having to serve ourselves wine as we had empty glasses for 20 minutes. One of our friends went without desert as she was tired after a long wait and went to bed. We never expect our meal to be rushed but felt there was little attention. Desert was served without cutlery!

The meal was very expensive for the choice and quality on offer. Two of our party chose gravlax, another white asparagus and I had the foie gras (paying a supplement). The foie gras was nice, as was gravlax, but the Asparagus was not to her taste. We all ordered chicken and the consensus was it was bland and unexciting.

Having eaten the night before in one of the many excellent restaurants in St Omer (at 2/3 of the price) with great service and wonderful food it was a very disappointing end to the weekend.

A wonderful hotel, but alas, we shall not be returning

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Tony K
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

We thank you for sharing your opinion after your stay in april at Le Château Tilques.

Kindest Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tilques
Le Chateau de Cocove
#1 of 12 in Saint-Omer
Le Moulin de Mombreux
Le Moulin de Mombreux
#2 of 2 in Lumbres

Been to Hotel Chateau Tilques? Share your experiences!