“Review of the hotel's restaurant ('Le Chai')”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Restigne
Hotel Manoir de Restigne
Ranked #3 of 4 Restigne B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a beautiful dinner at the restaurant. Reception was low key, no fuss and kind, and we we seated at a nice table in the large room with good light and a view into the open garden. The service was good, with well trained and polite staff. We were more than pleasantly surprised by the food. We opted for the 7 course surprise menu with wine, and the kitchen put out 9 dishes plus amuses that were all very well done and enjoyable. The ingredients are classic (foie gras, lobster, rabbit) but the preparation and presentation were not stuffy but rather playful and inspired. An Asian fusion clam soup, lobster three ways, rabbit 4 ways, and a beautifully light chèvre with warm yogurt soup were very nice. I am not much of a desert eater, but the two deserts were light and with very fresh ingredients. The mint sorbet was so fresh it still tasted like the mint came straight from the garden (which it in fact did). Overall, we left very satisfied - with the food, ambience, service and price quality balance.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Schnieker

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We booked through Booking Com and were then told 30% deposit. In fact the owner took 238 euros on a 430 euro stay.

The hotel was CLOSED when we arrived, and apparently is closed Mondays and Tuesdays until 4.00 p.m. We did not expect to check into our room, but would have expected to be able to order a coffee or sit in the loung, but were turned away. We drove around for five hours before being allowed into the hotel.This was after a long drive trying to find the place.

The gardens were overgrown and the pool area had weeds growing all around it and the water was badly in need of cleaning. There were some chairs around a table, but all the cusions were soaking wet.

Plants around the restaurant in pots were dead or dying.

At check in, no one spoke English and were asked if we wanted dinner. The choice was either Rabbit or Pigeon or John Dory for the main course. As we dont eat any of these and in any event the cost was at least 100 euors per person, we declined.

The room was below average, we walked into a pillar each time we walked into the room and the light in the bathroom was on a timer of about 3secs, so if one sat on the toilet, the light went off until one stood up again!

The next day we wanted to use the computer, the owner had a miserable face, and when I could not figure out how to use google and asked him to show me how, he 'tutted' as he came to the computer.

Breakfast was miserable. At 20 euros per head, there should have been someone with a smile to serve at least coffee.

On our check out, I asked the owner why everyone was so miserable - he said 'maybe it is the guests!' implying it was us. I asked what he meant and he said we had booked dinner which we had not. At that juncture, the maitre d of the restaurant came into reception and he confirmed we had NOT booked dinner, just asked him if there was any other choice. Then, the owner changed his story and said he was upset because we had not had dinner which was compulsory and that it stated that on our arrival. Had we known that to be true, we would not ever have booked the place. He then said he sent us a confirmation email saying the same thing,but again, I took the Booking.Com confirmation to be the only one I needed, and did not even look at his email. Had I done, I would have cancelled the hotel if they had insisted on our eating in the place.

On our second night we asked could we take coffee and desert (it was 9.15 p.m. and only one couple in the restaurant), the maitre d told us we could only have it outside (it was cold) or in the lounge (colder and darker and by ourselves). We would have spent at least 50/60 euros based on their prices, but we told them we wouldn't bother!

They have a kettle in the room but only tea as you have to buy coffee in the restaurant.

The owner was rude and offensive, he looks as if he is running the place on the smallest budget and is about to run out of money and he took more money from my card in the first instance than he was legally obliged to even according to his own confirmation email.

There is not much around the hotel, Bourgeuil where there is not much food choice and Langeais which is very beautifull. There are some lovely hotels near Langeais too, Hotel Rochecotte where the staff are charming and which is much much better value.

Dont waste your money in this miserable place or give this rude man your business, he does not deserve it. I wish I had read more Trip Advisor crits myself before booking as I note several concur with my own views.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Cannot find the restaurant listed so will put my review here. A group of us had dinner here last week - 10 in total over two nights. The consensus was that this restaurant did not deserve a Michelin star - I would go even further.

The Service was inexperienced to say the least, our table had the full tasting menu with wines, no description of the wines, no showing of the bottle and based on the group that went on the other night they forgot at least one of the wines with dinner.

The food was overly salty - every course; except desert which was rather tasteless, especially the candies they brought after desert - the other group did not even get them.

Staff was pleasant and wanted to be helpful but were totally inexperienced, they were not able to answer basic questions and disappeared for long stretches. The Manager was there in the beginning to steer us to the expensive tasting menu but not to be seen again. We actually felt sorry for the staff being left to their own devices with clearly poor training and no support.

I would not return here and recommend that you find another place for good food in the Loire - this is not it. This place does not deserve a star.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2012

The Hotel Manoir de Restigne is a beautiful property within easy reach of many famous chateaux in the Loire Valley. It's a bit difficult to find if you use the address used in Bookings.com. It lists the hotel property in Bourgueil which it is technically correct, but your GPS won't find it there. it's in the small village of Restigne.

Our room looked nothing like the beautiful rooms listed on their website. It was in an out building immediately adjacent to the D963 road (not overly busy, but you can hear the traffic). When I complained, the proprietor assured me I couldn't but my ears say otherwise. The room, however, is adequate for a four star hotel, but not what I thought I was getting.

The restaurant Le Chai which is on the property looks beautiful but we didn't eat there. It has a dress code (a bit unbelievable these days) and men are required to wear a sport jacket. This wasn't made known to us when we checked in and casually made a reservation for dinner for two. After reading the "rules" posted in our room, we decided to cancel to avoid embarrasment. The restaurant is also very expensive and can easily run over $100 per person for dinner. There are other more reasonable choices in neighboring villages for dinner. There's also a note in the room which "forbids", yes that is the word used bringing any food or beverages from the outside in the hotel.

To sum it up, it's a very nice property but overly pretensious, not very welcoming, and "not as advertised". I couldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Request staying in the main building...and accept nothing less for the money you'll be paying to...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Harve C
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Upon arrival we were met in reception by the very courteous owner, who made us very welcome and showed us to our room on the Ground floor.

The Grounds of this fabulous Manor House are well manicured and a delight to walk around only to be surpassed by the experience of the Gourmet Restaurant and the pampering of the well rehearsed staff who were very attentive and polite.

The food was ' division one ' and presented in a way only the French are the Masters of.

We were recommended to visit the very local vineyard and were greeted by the Father of the owner who had his own private 'cave'......we spent some time with 'Papa' tasting some of his hidden gems before joining the main attraction of Bourgueil.

We will be visiting again when time permits as this venue and the surrounding area is so perfect.

I cannot understand any reason why visitors would wish to criticise this Hotel and Restaurant and it has my best recommendation as a relaxing and uncomplicated place to stay and enjoy.

Room Tip: Book direct with the Hotel if possible
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I spent 4 days in Manoir de Restigné, as I read an excellent review in a Vallée de la Louire Guide. The Manoir is in the middle of the Bourgeuil vineyard, the place is quiet and enjoyable, quite luxurious. The restaurant is excellent (and of course not cheap). Unfortunately, we could net enjoy the swimming pool because of the bad weather. Rooms are big, calm and clean and we had a wonderful bathroom. We had a warm welcome. The price is, of course, not cheap but it was an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DeniZinho
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We were hoping to split our drive back from a stay further south in France by staying at a nice hotel in the Loire, unfortunately what we ended up wtih was the manoir. We arrived at 8pm to be told that check in was between 4 and 6.30 so we were late. after showing us to our room we were asked when we like to eat, having just driving for 6 hours we wanted to have a while to freshen up but after suggesting 9pm we were told that was too late 8.30 was the latest they could manage. We're both vegetarians which I do realise is difficult in France, so I rang up to check the restuarant menu to find nothing veggie, fair enough, so I asked about the room service menu, also nothing as it's just the michelin star restaurant food delivered, no snack options, no anything options, just 75 euros worth of lobster or that's it....nsacks from the car it was for dinner then!So we thought we'd have a walk around the place, thinking we'd relax in the bar or work out what other facilities there were. Nothing, the place was a ghost town, no-one anywhere, I've been in understairs cupboards with more atmosphere. It felt like I'd been locked in a national trust house after hours.

Good things...the place is beautiful, bed was comfortable, breakfast was average (Us: "have you got any more oragne juice please?" Mr Manoir "I don't think so, sorry").

So, if you want to eat in the restaurant and not have to travel back to a hotel, drop 200 euro on the manoir....otherwise don't waste your money on this place...pretty but souless.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends