“Good place to stay and eat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Domaine de Bodeuc

Domaine de Bodeuc
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nivillac
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good place to stay and eat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

Over the Past 7 years I have visited this Hotel it has varied from Excellent as it is now to dreadful a few year ago. Well dug away in the Morbihan countryside surrounded by mature trees and nature it is a haven of good living. The new family running it have turned a boring place into a real find thankfully. Our Friends with whom we dined were delighted with their room and the ambience and plan to return. The cuisine is of a very high standard as is the wine list the proprietor is really knowledgeable and if need be checks his facts in a wine bible. Very good place to stay and eat.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a choice.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael N

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
München, Deutschland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

It took us quite a while to find this place as it is well hidden on the countryside, but it was worth every minute of the search. We had no reservation and asked if there was still a room available for one night. The owner welcomed us very heartily and friendly and took the time to show us 3 rooms. I think he would have shown us even more of the rooms, if we wouldn't have fallen in love with one of the rooms immediately.We decided for the room called "Poesie" and found it perfect. Huge bathroom, spacious bedroom with a lovely view on the park.
We didn't want to leave the lovely room after our travel and - even though the restaurant was fully booked - the host made us a salad to eat in the room.
The breakfast was very good even though they hadn't a very wide range of goods.
The property itself with the huge park, swimming pool, forest etc is absolutely great and I guess also great to explore for kids.
The host and his wife have been both very friendly and helpful and made us feel very comfortable even though it was only a short stay. We would definetly love to go there again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Munich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

The Hotel “Domaine du Bodeuc” is located outside the villages on the countryside amid a large area that belongs to the Domaine. The next village to the hotel is some minutes to drive away.

As we arrived, the owner welcomed us, still holding his little daughter on his arms, quite friendly and heartily. To my surprise he guided us not upstairs but outside the big house, which is quite nice, to a side building. This building was probably an old stable or barn that was turned into a part of the hotel. Our room was in the first floor and unfortunately directly under the roof. So the ceiling was quite deep and slope. For any person over, let’s say 1,60cm, this is a problem. There are also some quite edgy wooden beams on the ceiling that can really harm you if you’re not careful. Another harmful part of the room was the bed. You could feel every spring of that damn thing and after two nights my back was in pain. I do not know if the other rooms have this type of quality bed as well, but I hope not.

Breakfast here is served. You get baguette, croissants, a piece of cake and vienneroises. The bread is accomplished with salted butter and jelly. You get good yoghurt and if you like some cereals. The taste and quality of the food is really good but non-french people would maybe like to have some ham and cheese.

We also had a dinner there. The cost is moderate for France. For around 30 EUR you get three plates. You get wine or drinks that suit your dish for around 4 EUR the glass.
I tried the foie-gras as an starter which was really excellent. So was the white wine.
The main dish was a lotte with a “deluxe-version “of mashed potatoes and some veggies. Compared to the starter, the amount of food, especially fish, was tiny. The dish tasted all fine but I didn’t like the brown sauce that accomplished the meal. The lotte can take strong flavours but this type of sauce was too strong resp. it didn’t go well with the fish.
The dessert was a little strange, I have to admit. I thought I get a tarte tatin, which is a nice apple cake type of dessert. What I got was a small round biscuit with some cooked apples on top. I’d call this a very interesting interpretation of a tarte tatin. Unfortunately, the biscuit was quite brown, close to “too brown” and hard as a rock and already getting bitter. Apples were too sweet. Next to the apple tarte thing I had some very sweet whipped cream and a very nice sorbet on a (if I recall it correctly) cidre base. The sorbet was great but too sweet as well.
To my taste, main dish and dessert both lacked some “punch”, e.g. a little freshness from something sour. Luckily I had a quite dry Cidre Bouche, which is some kind of Champagne made of apples. Nice.

I really liked the place. What I did not like so much was the room we stayed in and especially the bed. My recommendation is to ask for a room inside the main building. Food is good but maybe not remarkable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank drscheme
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

During our trip of 3 weeks in France, this hotel was absolutely the best !
The hotel and its surroundings are just fantastic.
The young family running this hotel makes you really feel at home.
Their suggestions on local food, drinks and advise on trips to be made were very helpful.
Dinner is excellent and the wine can also be ordered by a glass, which makes it possible to try various wines during your meal.
Really had the feeling I stayed at a Chateau !!!!!!
Will certainly come back !!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

We have been coming to this area of France for 23 years mostly playing golf.
It's a shame that it has taken us this long to find this amazing place.
Run by a young family, it's truly amazing and the host is just fantastic, instead of menus he came to the table and talked us thru every stage of the menu, it was interesting and very constructive, then on the main course he only had two main courses. Duck and Fish, WOW were they good, you have to have an amazing belief in your chef if your prepared to have just two main courses. And both were truly amazing, I asked what was on the following night and they already new that the farmer next door had his first lambs redy, Oh i wish I could go tonight. The head man said his chef had worked in Michelin kitchens, I believe him.
Then the wines double WOW reasonable prices and we had 4 diffent wines and they all were excellent.
Can't wait to go back.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The new owners (since November) have already changed the ambience of this lovely located Chateau. We stayed in the little lodge which was ideal for us being very quiet. Do be prepared however for the somewhat noisy heating unit if going during colder months. Apparently the resident cleaner was on holidays so we did not find the daily clean as we would expect for the price we were paying. Breakfast was typical french & very fresh but a bit more variety would help.
The evening meals were exceptional although a little small & again not a big choice over the 3 days we took our meals, but still the best part of the hols especially as the weather was so awful!
We wish the new owners every succes. They are both charming and only too happy to help in anyway.

Room Tip: Cannot comment on the rooms in the main building.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nivillac
Le Manoir du Rodoir
La Gree des Landes
La Gree des Landes
#1 of 2 in La Gacilly
Hotel Restaurant L'Albatros

Been to Domaine de Bodeuc? Share your experiences!