“terrible decor in the public areas” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Dioscuri Bay Palace Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in San Leone
Tel Aviv, Israel
“terrible decor in the public areas”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2009

The hotel is finely situated near the beach of San Leone and footsteps away from the seapromenade where several restaurants are located. It is only about 10 min by car to the entrance of the "Valley of the Temples" and therefore fitted for the visit. It is absolutely spotless with a beautiful sparkling and super -clean pool overlooking the sea.

The decor of the public spaces, i.e. reception, lobby and breakfast room is just awful lacking any taste, style of a lower ranked hotel, than it really is .The artificial flowers are adding to this notion.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank timberlady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

My wife arrived for one night during a fantastic two week stay in Sicily so that we could visit the Greek temple site at Agrigento. The temples were fantastic and did not disappoint in the slightest. The Dioscuri was recommended by the hotel we were staying in at Taormina. It was perfect. With satnav TomTom we found it easily. Free car parking.

The seaview room had perfect airconditioning and absolutely no plumbing disorders. The pool was wonderful and looked like it had sun all day - beautiful view of the sea; and the temples. The staff(not many it has to be said) were very very good. Attentive. Food was like elsewhere in Sicily very very good. Fresh produce. Wine list not too expensive.
Only thing in contrast to other contributors would be that breakfast was slightly disappointing compared to other 4 start hotels. However I guess if we had been staying longer than 1 day we would have got that sorted.

No problems. All others with problems please try again with a cheap deal if necessary.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iamnotabanker
Toledo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

Now, I find it quite difficult to give the Dioscuri Bay Palace hotel an overall rating as I found certain aspects positive and others, well, totally unacceptable. Firstly, I had read a complete mixture of reviews ranging from awful to those stating it was the best hotel they'd ever stayed in. That was confusing, but since we found a good deal, my partner and I decided to give the Dioscuri Bay Palace the benefit of the doubt.
Initially we were impressed by our room- spacious, a 'double bed' (ie, 2 single beds hiding under a double sheet, though this seems to be quite common in many hotels) and another single bed we hadn't requested, for our imaginary friend. Fine. We had a balcony but no view, just facing another building, quite ugly. We were quite happy...until we realized there was a leak somewhere in the bathroom. When we turned the tap in the sink on, water would slowly start appearing from nowhere on the floor. I called reception and they sent a little man up whose solution was to mop it up with towels and then bring us more towels. Really high-tech. At reception we were told that they could either change our room or send someone up to fix the mysterious leak the next day. Unfortunately we were a little too quick to pack up our bags. When my partner went to check the room they were offering us, he found it had no natural light-the windows were internal. We decided to go with the towel job until someone came to fix the leak the following day as we would be out anyway.
The next day we were out from 9am till 2pm. When we got back, we were looking forward to having a nice siesta after a tiring morning. Reception informed me that the bathroom had been fixed which we were happy about, but when we opened the door to the room we were shocked to find that room service hadn't been round yet! In fact, the cleaners were just starting on our corridor and we were told to wait 5 minutes. Tired and obviously very grumpy by then, we were forced to grab our things and head down to the pool while our room was being tidied. For me this was much worse than the bathroom problem because I find it unacceptable that the rooms are cleaned so late. I later found out that some rooms do not get cleaned until 4pm.
On a more positive note, the breakfast was good. There was a wide selection of food, ranging from fresh rolls, cheese and cold cuts, to cereal and fresh croissants.
I think this hotel could be a lot better if they made more of an effort rather than being so sloppy and careless about their service. These 'minor inconveniences' are not so minor when they end up wasting a good chunk of your trip if you are only away for 2 days. If I'd paid full price I would have been fuming...

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

This hotel is for those who enjoy room temperature - 83ºF and above, rude staff, and dirty facility. During this trip we stayed in the other 4 star rated hotels in Sicily, in comparison with these properties, Dioscuri Bay Palace deserves 1 star at the most. I shall file a complaint with both the Framon Group and NH Hotels executive customer service.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ABTOP

Travellers are raving about these San Leone hotels

Wimborne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2009

This is a quiet hotel, two minutes from the adjoining marina. We stayed here for one night only on our tour around Sicily with Titan Hitours. Our food was included and was buffet style. The food was good, plenty of it and well cooked, however, as with all Sicilian hotels served on cold plates! Our room was very basic, a small colour tv with an ensuite bath and shower. The hotel seemed empty of artifacts, decorative objects etc and came across as a bit cold and uninviting.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Chester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2008

We stayed in this hotel for four nights mid August. The hotel looks good and pool was great and I'm sure the sea view room were great. We didn't have a view, in fact we didn't even have a window !!!

Our room was very small and had patio doors out onto what I can only describe as a corridor. The corridor had windows onto the central glass dome roof of the hotel, so ever from that window there was no view. Obviously you couldn't leave your patio doors open as everyone on the corridor would have had access to your room, so there was no hope of natural air.

It took us about half an hour to find someone to serve us drinks at the hotel bar, and it took the bar man (he had to find two other people to help him) serve us cocktails which took then about another half hour to make.

Other than that things were fine, the hotel had an excellent location with regards to getting into Agrigento and the valley of the temples (you can get a local bus to both from the main street). There were lots of restaurants in walking distance for the evening and also some bars.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Pollie1
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2008

Always suspect of a place calling itself “palace”. In this case, the warning makes sense
As a beach hotel (without actually a beach on reach) it is difficult to justify why to go there.
I got lost trying to find the place, and took me a good 45 min to find my way there, even if already driving around the tiny St Leone village (where the hotel is located)
First sight was just depressing.... from the reception desk to the old elevator everything looked distasteful.
A/C wasn't work properly in my room. The temperature was fixed in 36 C degrees.... it was unbearable.
After three times of goes and forth with the receptionist, I changed rooms. But in the new one it didn't work it either.
By then, I was exhausted and I didn't have the energy to discuss any further. It was just a night I repeated myself. So I stay.
Truly, the room was big enough, with a huge balcony as well, but this is all. It feels like a wasteland, with no character, no charm, no soul.
The pieces of furniture were old and the room itself was badly maintained. The bathroom needs good money to refurbish it all. And the chairs and table in the balcony sported dust and dirty enough to keep you far away.
The breakfast was as bad as everything else. Awful filter coffee, short range of fresh products and croissants and pastries that seemed to be made two weeks earlier.
Swimming pool was nice though.
NH should consider some quality check on this place (even if it is a franchise one, as the staff pointed out) before to associate its name to it. It let them down.
I won't go back to this place. Try and look for something nice somewhere else.

• Liked — Swimming pool
  • Disliked — The a/c didn't work... and it was the summer at its peak
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Blu Hotel Kaos
Blu Hotel Kaos
#6 of 25 in Agrigento
Foresteria Baglio Della Luna

Been to Dioscuri Bay Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!