“Very good!”

Baia di Ulisse Wellness & SPA
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in San Leone
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Charming place with great beach and magnificent view.Relaxing atmosphere,professional staff always ready to help.Excellent food,comfortable modern rooms,en-suite well-equipped bathrooms.Only problem:you must have a car because in winter there's no good public transport to town centre and valley of temples.

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank minniepau

Reviewed 22 October 2013

All jokes aside, this is an incredible property with the absolute worst management and owner (I'm guessing) that a hotel could possibly ever ever ever have. This hotel could make millions as a reality tv show, How Not to Run a Hotel. If you'd like to know about this hotel, then here we go (note: I realise most of these complaints are already noted by other guests, but I have an obligation to keep you from making the biggest mistake of your trip). 1. The pool is closed in the afternoon. That means when the sun comes out, the pool is shut down. 2. No foreign drinks or food is permitted. This means you cannot bring into your own room or commonplace a bottle of water, a coke, a bottle of wine, a bag of chip, or tampons for your wife. The security guard physically tried to take a bag of water from us. He did not succeed. 3. The "spa", as included in the name of the hotel, is open for a scheduled three hours a week. This was a permanent sign. It is important to note that the spa was not open during any of those scheduled hours. 4. There are 92 rooms. We counted seven employees on duty at a time. This included the waiters (who I would guess act as the cooks as well- ellaborated later), the maid, the pool boy, bar tender, and front desk etc. September might not be August in Italy, but seven employees to tend a 92 room hotel with large groups visiting as well is unsatisfactory 5. The Front Desk: It hurts to write this bit, because the staff here had a smile on their face for most of the time, however this was truely the worst part of the hotel. A note to the owner, if you're only going to employ seven people per shift, perhap hire people with prior hospitality experience or take the time to train them. To start, we were not only given the wrong bus timings, but also the wrong intervals. We missed the last bus as we were headed to a concert in the Valle dei Templi. We returned to the hotel and asked for a taxi. I don't care if "there are no taxis working right now in the entire city", you need to arrange transportation for your guests. First idea, have an emergency taxi driver on call. Second idea, use one of your shuttle buses - I'll pay you! Third, get in your own car and drive me! Perhaps your thinking I'm a bit pamperd at this point. Because of this idiot at the front desk we missed our concert in the Valle dei Templi and he did absolutely nothing to resolve this issue except let every taxi company tell him they couldn't drive us ANYWHERE. I think I'll tell one other story from the front desk before moving on. The same idiot at the desk told us, before the manager informed us there was no foreign water allowed, how to find a store to buy water and a bag of chips (because the "tabaccheria" in the hotel was nothing more than a sign - literally). Our directions, which were impossible to misinterpret, estimated our arrival after a 10 minute walk. After having walked 45 minutes, we returned to the hotel. We found a wholesaler shop for restaurants which we went into and got our water. When we returned to the hotel, we spoke with a second front desk attendant who informed us that we were crazy for trying to walk to this other location and that we had hardly reach halfway. This might not seem like a big deal, but when you walk for an hour and a half during your vacation and don't find what you went out for, then you're going to be a bit upset. One more quick tale of the front desk. Our bed the first night was complete trash. We had asked for a queen and had two twins put together. The front desk said they would change it for us first thing in the morning. I checked three times over two hours as to when it would be ready and was told soon, soon, soon. So soon at 11:30am, I left for the beach. When I returned the reception started yelling at me for being late. Probably not the right way to treat your guests, especially when you're in the wrong. 6. Location. Useless you have a car, this will be the worst place in the world. There is nothing within a twenty minute drive from here. Even if you have a car, this will be the worst place in the world. There is absolutely no benefit to staying at this hotel that I could find. Not one. 7. Food. The menu looks nice, but you'll soon find out that the meals do not change, which leads me to believe that the three servers also act as the three chefs. When your order is placed, they walk into the kitchen and pop the plate into the microwave. The food comes out quick, but you can microwave a nice Sicilian dish from your own home in Cleveland. A note on the quick goods, there is no commonshop in this hotel. Bring your own everything, but be prepared to sneak it in and hide it from the staff, including the maid. 8. Charging for the Pool: This goes back and forth. YES, they DO CHARGE EXTRA FOR THE POOL. They charge extra for their own private beach. AND they charge 8 euros PER HOUR to use their gym. I'd like to add more, but after a month, these are the only things that immediately jump out in my mind. I've lived in Italy three different times, speak Italian and this past trip had been traveling in the country for a month leading up to this. I've had zero problems other at this dump. We went to Agrigento to see the temples and Scale dei Tuchi (which in three days we couldn't see because of lack of transportation). If this is this is the only place you can stay and after reading all of this you still want to stay here, THEN sleep in your car, stay in the train station. Anywhere but here. And to the owners, SHAME ON YOU!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
18  Thank Gio C
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The worst hotel I have ever stayed! Rooms are small, dark and poor! The service is disgusting. "4 stars" is a bad joke! No more than 2! The staff is not friendly. No WiFi (as was promised on booking.com).
Restaurant is overpriced.
Too little space for parking.
The breakfast was very bad: very little choice of food - one kind of cheese (not tasty), one kind of meat, the cheapest little apples and peaches, juices were watered (imagine! In 4 stars hotel!), tea was the cheapest you can find, coffee is pig's wash! Thanks, I don't want to visit your restaraunt after that.
Glasses in room is from plastic!
The safe did not work!
Fan in bathroom and AC are very noisy.
Walls are so thin that you can here your neighbors well.
The gym works on the weekend from 16 till 20! I want to train in the morning of weekday, what is the problem?
Hotel beach is untidy as everything in this hotel! The mirror in restaurant must be in trash but not at 4 star hotel.
Don't write me answers! Improve something!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Ольга М
Reviewed 30 August 2013

This review is more for you owner than for the travellers who will see the very mixed reviews. A few changes and this place could get top ratings.

What's great:
- The place itself is beautiful, with the private beach and nice swimming pool area. The building is nothing special but well placed.
- Some (not all) people in the staff were super helpful. Special thanks to the gentleman at the reception.
- You do have a spa / gym and internet ... more on that below

What you NEED to change:
- The gym / spa. Why do you keep it closed during the week !? in the summer ! That doesn't make any sense. In the low season i can understand, but in the summer ? That needs to stay open. And the spa to be up and running (if not always open, at least allow people to book treatments during the week).
- The internet. I read in previous comments people had to pay for it. I'm glad it was free when we were there. BUT, having to get 1 ticket / device every 12 hours was ridiculous, wasting your time and frustrating clients. Take the password off and just let people use it. And i beg you, please buy a new router, with more power, it was SO slow !
- Breakfast was terrible. I'm not going to write too much on this, but honestly very cheap quality. This basically made us feel the restaurant quality was poor (which might not be true, but keep in mind this was our 1st and last impression of the food there).
- Rooms: 1) isolation: definitely needs some work there. Change the doors, do something, it's just too noisy in the morning as one can hear all the neighbours. 2) furnitures: now that the busy season is over, you can spend a bit in making the rooms enter the 21st century, change the furnitures, make it a bit modern, the 70s are long gone.
- Pool / beach: making people pay extra for those services is not a good idea at all. make people pay 5eur more on their room, but don't make it an extra.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank av_alexandre
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This hotel looks very nice online - but don't be fooled.

The rooms are not sound proof - we have a family with two young babies crying all night next door
The air com switched off for two hours
The mini bar had only water and one beer
The bed had a lumpy mattress and I came away with bites
To use the beach or pool loungers you pay 5 euro suppliment per person
I had my bags searched by their manager as a no outside food or drink policy exists
The food was very standard - my son was ill the next day
The staff are very grumpy
The breakfast was ok but the juice was watered down and the hard boiled eggs were sulphuric - yuk!
The wifi does not work

When I checked out the manager threw my credit card at me

Now bare in mind that this is supposed to be a 4 star hotel - and quite an expensive one !

Don't do it !

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Warwick B
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Gorgeous hotel, interior was breathtaking (not a minimalist style that's for sure), food was great (5 stars for sure) although breakfast could use more of a variety (not much choice). Rooms, beach and pool were also great. Staff was very friendly and we didn't have to pay extra for the usage of the pool although you had to buy a swimming cap if you didn't have it with you. You could use your own towels. Wi-fi was also free, worked fine. All in all one of the best hotels i've stayed in, great vacation :)!

P.s.: Don't get your hopes up about postcards (none of the 9 we sent to Slovenia (it borders Italy) ever arrived :))

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EvaKarpes
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We had a really short stay at this hotel, only a night, but after a half day drive in the car it was surprisingly nice to arrive at a hotel that had it all and only for its guests. Private parking area, private beach and large green spaces and garden all around the hotel down to the beach. It was up on the hill and had a great view to the coast, the room was descent but the pool area was beautiful and there was the Moreti beer to cool us off. The wellness and spa was beautiful where i paid a visit but did not have the time for a treatment though there are plenty of variations offered on the spa menu. The lounges and sun bed areas around the swimming pool were so comfortable and spacious. The only bad thing was that the water was not so clean or maybe CLEAR as we expected. Reception was helpful and guided us to another great restaurant in San Leone. Just a not: if you have your high heels do not start on foot. As they explained we thought that it was nearby but the truth was that without a car most people would need a taxi to get downtown which is about 25min walk at least. We did it by walking with a splendid stop at the beach bar "Oceanomare" exactly at sunset time for a nice mojito and a live DJ :) what a surprise. We stopped by also on the way back to the hotel and had some body shaking/dancing/:) San Leone is for sure a better deal than Agrigento center so if you are headed towards the Velle dei Templi it is a much better choice, but you should have a car and that is for sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel Principe di Fitalia Wellness & SPA
Dioscuri Bay Palace Hotel
Dioscuri Bay Palace Hotel
#3 of 3 in San Leone

Been to Baia di Ulisse Wellness & SPA? Share your experiences!