“Not Impressed”

El Cortijo de Paco
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2014

On the strength of some of the reviews we decided to try this restaurant. I have to say the views were beautiful and the service was ok. However The food was not! Gambas pil pil was not the best I have had in Competa, and lacked the depth of flavour that I tasted in El Pilon and Oscars for example. The Rioja was very average and I found we waited along time for our main course. We ordered pork medallions, and I really wish we had gone for the sword fish as that looked the only exciting thing on the menu. The tasteless pork medallions came with anaemic chips and a few flavourless slices of cooked pepper. I asked the waitress what the side dishes were that came with the pork, and she couldn't tell me only that it was mixed vegetables... Would a few pan fried potatoes with herbs not have been more appropriate than chips?? The pork lacked flavour and it was very average pub food... think Whetherspoons anyone from the UK, but with a different price tag. I have to say the choice of steaks on the menu looked very good, as did the Swordfish, so maybe give it a go.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I had an excellent dinner at Cortijo Paco on Friday night. We have been coming here for nearly nine years, and with Paco back at the reigns the quality of food is now certainly the best in Competa. I enjoyed a superb Lomo de cordero a la mostaza de herbs, Loin of lamb cooked with a herb mustard. It was very tender and cooked slightly pink. Excellent. My wife tried the cerdo a la pimiento verde, Pork tenderloin with green pepper sauce, which was also tender and well cooked. Topped off with an excellent reasonably priced Rioja from the new wine list this was our best meal in Competa for a long time!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Its great to see Paco back its like old times! The staff and the food were of an excellent standard. It is a bit sad not to see Peri and his wife still there. What a fantastic location that will never change. Worth a visit.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This restaurant was always very good under Paco's management. We abandoned it after poor experiences whilst he wasn't there, but revisited again recently for the first time since Paco's return. Delicious steaks and great service. It's a lovely dining room with great views if you're there when it's light. One of the three really good restaurants in town.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

A family group of 8 of us went for dinner on 13/4/14 , we sat in the window and the views are incredible, worth the visit on its own! We all enjoyed our starters, especially my husband who raved over the froisgras & egg, and I have never tasted onion soup as good. Main meal was more mixed, my swordfish pil-pil was cook perfectlyBUT no spice as I expected, & suckling pig had soft fatty skin, not crackling as advertised on the menu. The serving staff were lovely and made us very welcome. If I could speak Spanish perhaps I could have let them know about the crackling.....next visitor perhaps you can!