All reviewsinfinity poolthe cliffiguanasoceanbeach
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The hotel is a nice hotel, if you paid about half what they are asking. There are major maintenance issues, like broken stairs, rotting porches, and dangerous pathways. Not a good spot to bring your kids. Like I say, if I paid half, I'd be happy, but at these prices I expected a lot more. The restaurant is ridiculously priced and the food is below average for Costa Rica, if you stay here, there is an awesome restaurant just down on the beach. I tried to close my shower glass door and couldn't as I was afraid it was going to fall on me.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Travelledwithkids
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Expect a resort, get a hotel. Beautiful views of the ocean, and lovely location. Beware of the rooster restaurant- they gave us shots of water (instead of tequila). Had hot water in bathroom, and wifi at the reception.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Juztabro
Reviewed 5 March 2014

As mentioned in prior reviews this hotel has great views but it is worn down and could use some rehab. The bathrooms could use a make over but are not that bad and the pool bar that is by the beach has not been operating for at least a year or so. We stayed in room 401 which is on the top of the hill and there are only 5-6 units in the 400 building and there is a pool right outside of these units. This pool is by far the best to watch the sunsets and relax and if you get lucky you can look down the cliff in the trees and see some monkeys. The hotel offers a free breakfast and it was good. The beach at the bottom of this hotel is very nice and not very popular so if you get up in the morning you will have the beach almost to yourself. I did not do any snorkeling but a few people told us there is some good snorkeling on both ends of the beach. A short walk down the beach is the restaurant Father Rooster which offers dining on the beach and great food and drinks. I would recommend having a car if you stayed at this place so you can take a short 2-3 mile drive into Coco where there are some great shops and restaurants and another nice beach which is a bit more popular. I would stay at this place again for the views, location and price. The hotel also offers different tours which we did the one day tour to Nicaragua and it was incredible. But you can negotiate the price of these tours. It started out at $165 per person and we got it down to $150 per person but a few people on the tour said they paid as low as $135.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room in the 400 building.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DCtoTB
Reviewed 28 February 2014

A very clean hotel with the best views in the world! The staff was very helpful and accommodating, unfortunately the hotel ownership is not spending much on upkeep. There is a pool bar that has not been used for what appears to be a few years. Great beach below and be sure to walk down to Father Rooster's restaurant. The included breakfast was good, with a choice of local or American type foods.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I booked this hotel via a Groupon, but of course read the reviews on Trip Advisor (as I always do) prior to booking. This hotel, as others have mentioned, is not a resort. But it could be a gorgeous hotel as the location is just amazing.
On the positive side
1. Staff was always kind and courteous and willing to assist in anyway
2. The rooms were spacious and clean
3. The location is just amazing, high on a hill overlooking the Pacific
4. Secluded beach, uncrowded and a short walk
5. Pools were all working, cleaned every day, and because so few people were there you pretty much had the pool to yourself
6. Great breakfast
On the negative side
1. The hotel is worn down and needs some major rehab
2. I would suggest a car, as nothing (except the beach and one great restaurant) is within walking distance
3. The beach is nice, but if you have difficulty walking or going uphill (it is pretty steep), you should not stay here.
4. The hotel will book activities, but many of them are far away and take all day.

If you get a good price and by that I mean <$100.00, then by all means go. But you will be disappointed if you think of this hotel as a resort, and pay the going rate.

I hope the Ocotal owners spend the money this hotel deserves to bring it to the resort it can be. That being said, I really enjoyed my time here, very relaxing, lovely staff and I would absolutely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 400 block, that block has the best views and a private infinity pool
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janly
Pat P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ocotal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Greetings from Ocotal Beach Resort!

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
We are very pleased to hear you had a pleasant time at our hotel.We will work harder everyday in your suggestions to make a hotel a better place so our guests have a great time every time they visit us. We offer an internal shuttle service for our guests to go to/from the beach, just ask for it at front desk next time you visit us :)

Have a wonderful day!