All reviews infinity pool the cliff iguanas ocean beach
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I would say this is more hotel and not a resort. When I think of resort I think of wet bar by the pool, activities during the day, music, fun atmosphere. There was none of that here. It is a nice quiet place with beautiful views of the ocean from the cliffs. There is a walking trail to the beach. The rooms and pool furniture could use an update seems pretty old.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Wandering_Freee
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We ended up staying here the night of March 29, 2014 due to issues with US Airways. The flight was cancelled and this is the hotel they put us up in for the night. Our room looked like it had not been opened in many months. There was so much dust, dirt and bugs that we were afraid to take a shower in the morning! Did not get to experience anything else about the hotel as we were there just to sleep for a night but I would never go back to find out. I am sure it is beautiful as it is on a cliffside however we had to drag out own bags up a very very steep graded hill to get to the lobby and back down again in the morning. I was not sure some of the elderly people on our bus were going to survive!

Room Tip: None, don't stay
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mrsmmz
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The views and location are amazing. If you can live with the need for much more maintenance, this is worth a 3 star hotel price range. If you pay more or cant overlook the cracked concrete, leaves in the pools, Jacuzzis and fitness equipment that dont work etc, etc you will be disappointed.

I am staying now in the villa at the top of the hill. The views are fantastic looking out on the ocean from about 500 feet of altitude. We have a dozen howler monkeys, dozens of black vultures soaring up the cliffs and a large deck off our room with a very large (15') hot tub/ pool. The Jacuzzi doesnt work but that's ok because we prefer the cold water anyway. I had to fix the pump myself because there were no maintenance staff in sight but did so only so the filters would remove the leaves.. We had no hot water in the shower either but once again, I preferred the tepid water because I was usually showering off the hot air anyway. Stay away from the restaurant except the free breakfast since the prices are twice as high as down on the beach (really liked Father Rooster a short walk down the beach and several more over at Coco) but go for the sunset up on the deck.
The pro pictures on this site are all accurate and they even show the spot I am writing this from, but they are about ten years old. there seems to be no maintenance being done since then, so today, the pictures would show cracked deck boards and concrete everywhere. The gym equipment was broken and ancient and the main pool down by the beach showed a lot of fun had been had there in the past, but the swim up bar is now closed with cracked wood and the leaves in the pool make it hard to want to go for a swim there. Same with the tennis court. Just 20 minutes of maintenance would make it worth finding some rackets and playing a game, but with the leaves and drooping net we looked elsewhere. One of the fishing boats is up the ramp on a trailer needing lots of minor jobs that could be done in an afternoon and would make a world of difference but it is clear there is no motivation to do so. The rusty trailer with flat tires cannot move the boat anymore even if one did.

You can see it used to be fantastic and could be again, but not likely under this management. Owners: Please sell this former gem to someone willing to make it grand again!!!

PS sorry for typos, no spell checking because i'm off to see the sunset!!

Room Tip: we saw only one other bungalow being used. We asked for the best one at the top of the hill and got it. The other one being used was at the bottom near the beach. I prefer up the hill, but either way, ask for the one next to the private pool
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank David39087
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We spent an enjoyable week at Ocotal in late February of 2014. Myself, my wife and our four year old daughter enjoyed ourselves very much. We (minus our child) had stayed at Ocotal several years prior to this visit, however this time around the difference was that we chose a Bungalow suite adjacent to the path traversing due north to the restaurant or a right turn 'Clyde' down to the tranquil and pretty beach area. Being that we were repeat visitors we had the benefit or perhaps disadvantage of being able to compare the hotel to what it had been in its past life. Without being too critical, it is fair to say that definitely the care and services element are now in many respects a thing of the past. In fact when I first set eyes on the main pool area this time around I was instantly disappointed by the lack of t l c and the apparent neglect and disregard for what was once a fun, service friendly and lively little pool scene. That is certainly not the case anymore as there is no longer a bar area, the pool was blatantly dilapidated and this could arguably detract from ones stay, since it is always nice to have both an Ocean and pool option when on your holidays. Not so now. Nevertheless without dwelling too much on the former glory days of the Ocotal, there are still many positive attributes beholden to this Hotel. The views are spectacular, amazing and beautiful. Everyone working at the Ocotal were friendly, top notch people, who catered as best they could to our every need in a polite and efficient manner. Nothing stuffy or pretentious here which is the way we liked it. So hats off to all the great staff at Ocotal and thank you for your hospitality. Breakfasts and dinners were perfectly fine and once again with the beautiful and expansive Ocean views, just gazing out at the big blue with far off topography on the horizon is something I have regularly missed since returning Stateside. Our bungalow room was fine, perhaps a little more light and improved feng shui on the furnishings might have enhanced our berth experience slightly more, but all things considered it was fine. There was a nice Canadian couple staying next door to our Bungalow and I believe they were a little less enamored with their humble holiday abode and they weren't overly critical people either so I can understand if some others might find the accommodation a little sub standard. I wanted to go diving, but since the on site shop had no other potential customers to sign up on the mornings I was up for it, I was told by the front office at reception that there were would be no dive boats going out on the two or three mornings I was interested in. In my previous stay here, the Dive shop was excellent, but on this occasion I never saw any life in the Dive shop. I was most disappointed on missing out on a few dives. We opted for a sunset/ snorkel tour, Crocodile River tour, jet ski escapade and these were all fun activities, especially the first two excursions. Father Roosters down the beach was always a nice oasis to grab some lunch and a few local brews in between dips in the Ocean.
I love Costa Rica. It would be difficult for me not to have a good time in this locale, but traveling with my wife and young child raises the stakes for a little heightened desire for luxury and Ocotal just about managed to be on the right side of that parameter. The real assets are the natural setting and serene location of the Hotel perched up on a cliff overlooking a charming beach area and this coupled with the friendly staff meant we were happy to stay here and sad to leave, a pretty good indication of time well spent in my humble opinion.

Room Tip: Being a family of three, we liked the spaciousness of the Bungalow and our own/ shared little plunge pool. Nothing too luxurious but reasonably satisfactory and comfortable.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PugwashSanFrancisco
Pat P, Owner at Ocotal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Hello!

Thank you for your comment.

We appreciate your stay with us, and hope to continue providing excellent service to all of our customers. We have taken note on your details and will do our best to continue being a great resort for couples and families!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 19 March 2014

The photos do not do justice to the spectacular views that you see at Ocotal Beach Resort! The birds and iguanas are plentiful and add to the experience, so you will always want to have a camera handy. We found the breakfasts and other meals to be delicious, especially the seafood. Our servers, Alvaro and the others were a lot of fun, friendly, and always on task. This was a scuba diving trip for my husband and our friend. Although the water is cool (about 73 degrees) and visibility is limited, they had a great time and saw many large fish, rays and eels. I have to agree with other reviewers about the resort showing age and in need of some rehab. The plumbing fixtures in the bathrooms do not work as well as one hopes and could use updating. We would definitely go back because the area is so beautiful. Every night, we were spoiled with another fantastic sunset.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends