All reviews infinity pool the cliff iguanas ocean beach
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Literally the best view in the area. I lived the amazing view and the service was good too. I didn't stay at the hotel just went for a sunset dinner and I gotta just say. THE VIEW IS BREATHTAKING. A must see if you are staying in the area

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gergeo S
Pat P, Owner at Ocotal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Hello!

Thank you for your comment!

We appreciate your visit and hope you can come and stay with us in the future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The biggest problem I have with this hotel is that it is not a resort, but a hotel. There are very limited amenities and activities, and it's a rather lengthy walk to the beach. The included breakfast is good, not great, and it is a couple miles from the nearest town (Playa Coco). With all that being said, I would stay here again provided I have a rental car. The view from the hotel down to the water is absolutely perfect, there are iguanas and birds and coatis and bats all around. Playa Ocotal is a black sand beach and the hotel overlooks it. The wifi works very well and is free, there are many excursions you can take from here, the rooms are very clean and comfortable, and the infinity pool is clean and is in the perfect position to watch the sunset.

Room Tip: The 400s building is right next to the pool and the wifi works perfectly
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jake M
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I would say this is more hotel and not a resort. When I think of resort I think of wet bar by the pool, activities during the day, music, fun atmosphere. There was none of that here. It is a nice quiet place with beautiful views of the ocean from the cliffs. There is a walking trail to the beach. The rooms and pool furniture could use an update seems pretty old.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Wandering_Freee
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We ended up staying here the night of March 29, 2014 due to issues with US Airways. The flight was cancelled and this is the hotel they put us up in for the night. Our room looked like it had not been opened in many months. There was so much dust, dirt and bugs that we were afraid to take a shower in the morning! Did not get to experience anything else about the hotel as we were there just to sleep for a night but I would never go back to find out. I am sure it is beautiful as it is on a cliffside however we had to drag out own bags up a very very steep graded hill to get to the lobby and back down again in the morning. I was not sure some of the elderly people on our bus were going to survive!

Room Tip: None, don't stay
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mrsmmz
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The views and location are amazing. If you can live with the need for much more maintenance, this is worth a 3 star hotel price range. If you pay more or cant overlook the cracked concrete, leaves in the pools, Jacuzzis and fitness equipment that dont work etc, etc you will be disappointed.

I am staying now in the villa at the top of the hill. The views are fantastic looking out on the ocean from about 500 feet of altitude. We have a dozen howler monkeys, dozens of black vultures soaring up the cliffs and a large deck off our room with a very large (15') hot tub/ pool. The Jacuzzi doesnt work but that's ok because we prefer the cold water anyway. I had to fix the pump myself because there were no maintenance staff in sight but did so only so the filters would remove the leaves.. We had no hot water in the shower either but once again, I preferred the tepid water because I was usually showering off the hot air anyway. Stay away from the restaurant except the free breakfast since the prices are twice as high as down on the beach (really liked Father Rooster a short walk down the beach and several more over at Coco) but go for the sunset up on the deck.
The pro pictures on this site are all accurate and they even show the spot I am writing this from, but they are about ten years old. there seems to be no maintenance being done since then, so today, the pictures would show cracked deck boards and concrete everywhere. The gym equipment was broken and ancient and the main pool down by the beach showed a lot of fun had been had there in the past, but the swim up bar is now closed with cracked wood and the leaves in the pool make it hard to want to go for a swim there. Same with the tennis court. Just 20 minutes of maintenance would make it worth finding some rackets and playing a game, but with the leaves and drooping net we looked elsewhere. One of the fishing boats is up the ramp on a trailer needing lots of minor jobs that could be done in an afternoon and would make a world of difference but it is clear there is no motivation to do so. The rusty trailer with flat tires cannot move the boat anymore even if one did.

You can see it used to be fantastic and could be again, but not likely under this management. Owners: Please sell this former gem to someone willing to make it grand again!!!

PS sorry for typos, no spell checking because i'm off to see the sunset!!

Room Tip: we saw only one other bungalow being used. We asked for the best one at the top of the hill and got it. The other one being used was at the bottom near the beach. I prefer up the hill, but either way, ask for the one next to the private pool
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family