“Spectacular Beach!”
Review of Bahama Beach Club

Bahama Beach Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Treasure Cay
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We just returned from eight nights at the BBC. We traveled with my parents and our two children (4.5 and 19 months). We had a four bedroom/three bathroom ground floor unit. The property is about 20 minutes from the TCB airport and was about $30. The taxi drivers we all very friendly and consistent with their fares. Upon arrival, the condo was ready for us. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We found the condo to be well-stocked, nicely decorated, and very clean. We used a crib provided by BBC, which was not the greatest, but did the trick. I probably would have brought our pack n'play, but we already had so much stuff, that it didn't seem worth the extra baggage. We didn't have any problems with the condo with the exception of a faulty lock on the patio (that was promptly fixed when brought to the management's attention) and ants. You cannot leave any food, crumbs, etc. without a parade of ants attacking. We also had some trouble with them coming into a bathroom, but as soon as it was recaulked, the problem was solved. Luckily, housekeeping was fantastic. They did a great job and were very friendly. We ate most meals in our condo. We brought a lot of dry goods and snacks for the kids from home and then used Golden Harvest (the grocery at the marina) for the fresh items. The selection isn't huge, but there is plenty there for the week and the prices were not cheap, but not outrageous. If you stay for any extended period of time, I can see the value in bringing coolers with frozen meat. The dinner nights at the resort were well done and the food was excellent. We also ate one night at the Treasure Sands Club (without the kids) and it was also very good, though a little pricey. This is a spectacular resort for getting away from it all. The main activities are beach and pool, so this is not the place for you if you are looking for lots of activity and nightlife. The beach is really spectacular - pure white sand, calm water perfect for the kids, etc. During low tide, you can find tons of sand dollars and starfish, which really entertains the kids. We rented a boat at the marina several days and went conching, spearfishing and to nearby Guana Cay. Another day, we took the ferry to Green Turtle. We had in room massages by Felicia that were also fantastic. Mostly everything can be reached with the help of a golf cart - available for rental at the marina, as well. All in all, a fantastic family vacation and we hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Seemed that there was less activity on the side where the dinners were held, as opposed to the side...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank bluebell98
There are newer reviews for Bahama Beach Club

Reviewed 7 May 2012

This was our first trip to Abaco. I choose the BBC for several reasons after doing a lot of research. First, the condos are beautiful. We had a four bedroom place, all on one level with a view of the entire resort, pool, beach, etc. Second, we had three kids under the age of six with us. I wanted both pools and the safe beach. Third, there is very little to do except enjoy the beach, so you can really unwind. This place did not disappoint. As some reviews have said, Treasure Cay is sleepy. There are about three restaurants. None are very good and each is open on a random schedule. There is a little market which has everything you need, but if you're planning to go out to eat each night, Treasure Cay may not be the place for you. You'll need a golf cart to get around. You may need to rent a car if you want to head to March Harbor and catch a ferry over to Nipper's etc. I do reccomend Coco's on the beach. It's open for lunch each day and dinner on Tues. Great beach bar - food is marginal, view is amazing. The beach is spectacular. Sand is like sugar - not rocks. Just sand dollars and starfish.

The BBC does have a pool bar with pool food which is open for lunch and dinner until about 7:30. It's bar food and the drinks are marginal. Three nights a week, the BBC does do a very nice dinner in their pavilion (Sun, Wed, Fri). The food is really good and the view is unbeatable. The BBC is very clean and well kept. The family that runs the resort will know your name and are interested in making sure you're having a good time. Bottom line, if you are looking to unplug - you can't do better. I would go back in a heartbeat. One week was not long enough.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank sarah j
Reviewed 27 March 2012

If you don't require constant service and want the spaciousness of a great condo on the water in the Bahamas, you would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful spot than this property. Bahama Beach Club rents condos - three and four bedrooms (although you can rent fewer rooms), and has a gorgeous property with two nicely sized pools and a restaurant serving lunch and dinner every night (some dinner nights are theme nights). The condos are well maintained and appointed - we ate in for all breakfasts, some lunches and some dinners with no problem. All the condos have ocean views. I suggest stopping at the grocery store in Treasure Cay on your cab or car ride to the condo to get basics (milk, juice, eggs, bread, etc.). As Ryecapital notes in his review, Treasure Cay (and island food in general) is pricey, but the lunch and non-themed dinner nights at the Beach Club were fine. Regarding the theme dinners - we did go early, so didn't have a wait, and we only did Italian and BBQ night - Italian night was great, BBQ night not so much. The service was fine however, people could not have been kinder. The Spinnaker restaurant is a short walk away (we rented bikes to get around), and has a nice menu (grouper and Mahi Mahi were delicious). Treasure Cay is quiet and gorgeous - really the antithesis of Atlantis (in Nassau) which is exactly what we desired. I agree, if the Beach club sprang for Kayaks to rent, they would easily get rented or used. The water is utterly amazing. We saw a wedding there - I can't think of a more romantic or beautiful spot to host a wedding!

Room Tip: All of the Condos face the beach - we were in the middle of one complex (there are two), and it was...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank ninaBoston_MA
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I spent several minutes wavering between 5 stars and the 4 stars i gave . I'll go with the bad news first .

Food in general in Treasure Cay continues to be a huge problem . Yes , food on islands is expensive so accept it or stay home and cook . The grocery store in Treasure Cay is very adequate for that purpose quite frankly and if you need to eat on the cheap , you can do so . For those of us willing to pay a fair price and eat out for lunch and dinner , thats where the problems kick in . The options in TC are poor to marginal . Thus when we heard from relatives that Bahama Beach Club was serving good meals for lunch daily and several nightly specials , we opted to go back to Treasure Cay for a second visit since our first back in 2008 since my family of 5 absolutely loves the non-crowds , the absolutely gin-clear water and pristine beaches and the boating to the out islands so to have the meals situation alleviated , we signed on .

First night there was steak night at BBC . My expectations were low so when we wandered into the beautiful pavillion by the pool and sat down to absolutely grilled to perfection filet and NY strip steak along with great salads and beautiful floor to ceiling windows opened and the gorgeous Sea of Abaco just 30 feet away , i truly believed we had found Shangri La . My 3 girls are NOT steak eaters and they devoured every slice on their plates . Next night , relatives ( also 2 adults and 3 kids ) staying at nearby complex came over and we had a very decent ' mixed grill night ' at BBC's open deck by other pool . Service was good ( when you have 6 kids , you MUST be served in reasonable period of time to maintain sanity ) and the extras like the home made cole slaw and egg/potato salads were fabulous and the mix of grilled chicken and meats was quite tasty .

But then we did Italian night back over at the pavillion ( Monday night? ) and it was an utter disaster . we sat down at 6:30 and we ordered meals with drinks as soon as we had a waitress as we always do to get kids fed and we did not see an entree til 8pm and even then , it was a plate or 2 every 5 minutes with some kids / adults finished while others remained unfed . Young ones flopped asleep on table and we did not finish until 2 hours later . Absolutely crap evening but given how well first 2 had gone , i gave it a pass as just 'bad luck' . Surely steak night that Friday would be a fabulous repeat . Lets just say steak night was a bigger disaster . Again , it took 75-90 minutes before steaks showed up and kids were crawling up walls . The 6 kids got their steaks over the next 20 minutes with some getting it as ordered ( well done ) and others getting steak literally cold and purple in middle . Getting it returned took wayyy too long and in some cases , steaks were returned to tables absolutely raw . I finally found the manager and ripped him a new one and while he apologized and bought us some drinks , it was a ruined evening and at $40-50 a head , an expensive lousy dinner .

Bottom line ? show up for dinner early ( at 6pm say ) like we did the first times out and just smile when they look at you strange for arriving too early and order your entrees immediately so you are first served . Letting a few other tables get in after you assures problems .

Lunch time at BBC is far better ! Food good and fairly priced for the islands . The grouper fingers i had on my last day were OUTSTANDING as was a grouper sandwich i had earlier in week .

As for rooms ? My 3BR condo was in great shape and kitchen was perfect for breakfast and some meals for the kids . Our room ( and most at resort ) has fabulous direct ocean views . Good wi-fi service too .

The hot tubs at the 2 pools are absolutely the hottest tubs at any resort i have stayed at before ( i kinda like this as it keeps the kids outta my hair ) .

Beach out front just fabulous . There were always chairs available and umbrellas usually too .

Management should spring for a few kayaks and maybe have a catamaran to rent but kids seemed happy in water and making sand castles .( make sure you bring mask/snorkel for each kid ......... they will be astounded at clarity of water ) .

We observed turtles right up on beach as well as rays swimming by . We bought some fishing rods and caught all sorts of small fish right off beach casting a small silver lure .

Once on beach , there is a small restaurant to your left about 200 yards called CoCo's that is a decent beach dive with OK chow for lunch . Better walk is to your right and about 3/4 mile down beach it ends at a pronounced point that has a massive sand bar at low tide that allows you to walk out a few hundred yards and offers best chance at finding sand dollars . There is a huge expanse of very shallow flats that kids just LOVE and they can find starfish , sand dollars and other shells .

Take away the 2 bad meal experiences and the place gets a 5-Star from me . Just keep in mind you go to Abaco / Treasure Cay / Bahama Beach Club to get away from the crowds and enjoy alot of quiet down time on truly one of the nicest beaches on the planet along with clearest water i have seen anywhere bar none . BBC offers the best of Treasure Cay and is superb value for the money .

Oh , and if you are traveling from USA with a group of 4 or more , allow me to clue you in to making the flight from Florida via http://www.airflightcharters.com/ ............ $3300 for roundtrip service for 5 people made it cheaper than flying Continental or one of the other mainstream airlines and it allows complete flexibility and avoid risk of missing connecting flights . Captain Scott had news papers and cooler of drinks/beers awaiting us and on the return flight , we breezed past an empty customs booth at the private terminal they use and a shuttle bus was literally awaiting us for a quick trip over to main terminal with our luggage brought right to shuttle . You truly feel a bit like a rock star .

Oh , and on Sunday , make sure you reserve a seat on 'Prozac' the ferry boat in Treasure Cay marina for a ride over to Great Guana Cay to vist the infamous Nippers beach bar . Prozac available for private charter and they also rent 21-27 foot center consoles but Sunday the one day a regular ferry runs across . The world's 3rd largest reef runs the length of the Abaco out islands and from Nippers , you can literally walk out and snorkel right over it ! The rum punches at Nippers are positively lethal ! For those looking for a quieter option , Grabbers is to your left off the Guana town dock and offers very good chow . Try their frozen rum punch ....fantastic .

Room Tip: You can rent rooms from owners cheaper than the resort if you can live without room service
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
16  Thank ryecapital
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Every winter we take the kids (who are now in their 20's) to the Bahamas; this was our fifth year in a row at an out island. My intention was to spend this vacation at Long Island at either Cape Santa Maria or Stella Maris. We would have rented a cottage or small villa so we could cook and not be obligated to dine out; I was psyched because Long Island is further south and because it looked beautiful. However, my son, now aged 20, stated early on (when we were scoping our flights and reservations in late July) that he absolutely would NOT accompany us, and would remain here in NJ. In the past, we have allowed our daughters to bring their boyfriends, so I told him it could be "his turn" to take a friend. He still wasn't entirely convinced, so I asked him where he would go with us, he replied, "Abaco". In 2007 he was just 16 and found the golf cart rental a lot of fun.
OK, so even though I had doubts about the weather in Abaco, I caved in and booked an "oceanfront" 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment at the BBC, in order to keep the family intact.
The reality: My son decided not to invite a friend and my middle daughter's fiance, Ed, was able to buy a last minute ticket. Ed flew from Atlanta to FLL. Our Continental flight got us to FLL on time and then we sat down to wait for our Gulfstream connection which was scheduled at 3pm. Meanwhile, Ed's flight from FLL-TCB was at 1.30 and, since he is active military, he was able to convince to gate agent to take our daughter with him. Unfortunately, our 3pm flight did not leave until 5.30PM. We arrived in the dark, took a cab to the BBC, went to the front office to find out our location; turned out it was ground floor apt #2011, below the one we rented in 2007; not beachfront, and not very nice. My daughter and Ed had checked in earlier and said they were told that the place was booked solid, so they didn't contest the non-beachfront accomodations.
December 29th was cool and windy, as I expected. From December 30 - January 2 we had sun. January 3rd and 4th were windy,cold, and solidly overcast. More sun on January 5 and 6. We had a nice New Years Eve at Tipsy Seagull, and also had a good dinner on January 4th at The Spinnaker. We rented a car and drove to Marsh Harbour and ate lunch at the Jib Room; outstanding!
The ocean was too cold to swim in, as was the pool, and the hot tub wasn't always hot. We were in the older section, although I hoped, because we booked early, that we would be in the new area. The old beach bar was still good and the staff at BBC is friendly, outgoing and helpful; no complaints with the front office staff or housecleaning folks. However, after the 2 gray and stormy days, the beach in front of our older section was full of seaweed; in front of the new section we noticed it had been raked so we asked when our beach would be done? It had not been raked when we left on January 6th.
Maybe we should have left our memories intact; this wasn't one of the best vacations.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank PattyP
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Don't get married anywhere else if you're considering a destination wedding! Excellent staff, food and facility. Superb beach

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mark g
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My family and I stayed at the Bahama Beach Club (BBC) for one week in July, 2011. This is truly the premier place to stay in Treasure Cay, bar none. The facilities are very clean and the property is maintained well. The staff at the BBC is easily the friendliest staff I have ever encountered on a vacation -- everyone was extremely friendly and easy going. The bartenders are tremendous; one recommended a "blue river punch" that my wife absolutely loved, and I found their margaritas to be very good. The wait staff is also very friendly, and we almost seemed to make friends with one or two before leaving.

I'm not sure if they will do it next year, but if the BBC does a "steak night" and a "pasta night", make sure you sign up for them. The concept is pretty much a limited three or four course menu, but the offerings pleased everyone in my 'selective' family, and the ambiance was fantastic. Dining on the beach, with a small fire and gentle music playing with the water and fading sun in the background will be hard to beat, wherever you vacation.

The best and, perhaps, the most challenging aspect of staying in Treasure Cay is the lack of activity. We never had to wait for beach furniture. I counted, at the most, 10 other people on the beach in our immediate area (which I will define as 500 yards in any direction). This seclusion is incredible, and I had to laugh when a song was played at the bar that said something like, "Stop the World Because I Want to Get Off", because it almost feels that way in Treasure Cay. On the flip side, though, there are not many places to eat; in fact, you can count them on one hand, and you don't even need your thumb. Because of this, expect to frequent the food market (which is about .30 miles away) for many of your food and drink items.

So, if you really need to just "stop the world" and get away from it all, go to Treasure Cay. And, if you do, stay at the Bahama Beach Club.

Room Tip: We booked our room through VRBO. We paid the same for a 3 bedroom as we would have for a 2 bedroom t...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank mudspoke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Treasure Cay
The Abaco Club
The Abaco Club
#2 of 6 in Marsh Harbour
Bluff House Beach Resort & Marina
Bluff House Beach Resort & Marin...
#1 of 2 in Green Turtle Cay
Oceanfrontier Hideaway
#2 of 5 in Great Guana Cay
Treasure Cay Beach, Marina & Golf Resort
Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbour Marina

Been to Bahama Beach Club? Share your experiences!