“Very nice stay”

Treasure Cay Beach, Marina & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Treasure Cay
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Flew over in a small plane from West Palm Beach to Treasure cay. Stayed at the Treasure Cay Beach, Marina & Golf resort. Everything went very smooth with checking in. Nice room in a marina cottage, and soon we found our self on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Despite high season there were very few people on the beach. Just fantastic! Great dinner at the Marina restaurant and enjoyed the performance by the dancers. I shall be back soon!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Overall the room and area are very good. The balcony sliding door does not slice and you need 2 people to open the door. The staff is not up to date and did not know the scuba on site was out of business. YOU DEFINETLY NEED A CAR SO RENT AHEAD AND NOT PAY $85 FROM THE AIRPORT TO THE RESORT.

Make sure you only have US dollars when you leave as no one want to exchange the Bahamas money.

1  Thank iamron
StephenKappelerGM, Manager at Treasure Cay Beach, Marina & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Hello IAMRON and thank you for your recent above average post and for taking the time for your favorable comments regarding your guest accommodation room and area being very good. Our Rooms Care team is immediately responsive to any requests, usually within 10 minutes for any needs. In fact, our comittment is so strong that friendly Lengford who is helping me oversee a room by room in house renovation lives on site at the resort and he is available day or nite. He has sourced your guest room and corrected the rollers on your sliding door within 24 hours of this post.
We want our guests to have all the accurate facts about our resort and so we offer an expert concierge level of Things to do Guide on Abaco that has been prepared to feature everything there is to do at the resort AND everything there is to we can possibly think of outside the resort as we know the best part of an Out Island adventure is enjoying the best of the island.
This guide can help you find the best in taxi transfers and or car rentals and you are right, to explore by rental car is the best way to enjoy Abaco and we can help you rent a vehicle for less than the cost of a transfer from MHH airport.
Our reservation office is pleased to send this free adventure guide to you by request by reaching out to info@treasurecay.com. I know, because as General Manager I personally oversee WITH our reservation office, every single inquiry, question and request and as I live here to, what you request where possible is what you will get. That is our Hospitality promise-"Yes I can-Whatever it Takes". Our friendly staff dont just wear that in a name tag, or their hat or their shirt but in their heart and the 70 or so excellent and or above average reviews in order prior to yours tell that story for us as we have some of the best friendly associates in the Out Islands.
Your information on diving is not correct. we do infact offer diving and snorkeling excursions through two sources. You are right recently we decided not to offer diving via Treasure Diver's as they are no longer a tenant with us. I am a dive master myself and suggest that any inquiring diver coming to Abaco reach out to me directly at my level as General Manager for personal assistance to plan their trip for the best out island dive experience yet. I guarantee it or you will not pay for that part of your stay! AND we can offer divers a special $50 discount off their first two dives when staying with us 4 nights or longer and combine either Two free R/T air tickets from NAS or $250 instant credit on their flight from the USA as noted on our home page and or specials page.
I thank you for cautioning visiting guests about US vs Bahamian Currency. When you travel, try to get your change back in US currency, because the banks here are closed over the busy weekends and US currency can be hard to come by. If we could not exchange it, it is because we dont have it to exchange. However, the bank is open Monday -Friday and footsteps from all our guest accommodations and always willing to help. I am sure your experience is due to a weekend visit and US cash was not available, not because our friendly out islander associates did not try to help you.
I would like to thank you for your comments, it helps us to operate the best resort in Treasure Cay and to learn from our mistakes...I guarantee it and to back up my promise, I offer you a refund on a part of your stay for your inconvenience regarding your balcony sliding door. Only our best 30 suites have balconies and you certainly should experience no problems with these very special units that feature waterfront view and a sunrise and sunset view and only our resort offers a private slip in front of every suite and footsteps from the pool. I trust you had an otherwise enjoyable stay and enjoyed the best beach in the Bahamas at a location that has everything to do-"Abaco Things To Do", on request...I know, our uptodate staff helped to create all the information with myself and our tenured managers that have been here 30+ years.
Please reach out to me or Avis directly to ensure we meet our promise to you our valued guest and you will be pleased you did as I will offer your next return first night stay as my guest, transferrable to a friend if you like.
Your Out Island Friend,
Stephen

Reviewed 27 February 2014

The general setting and the fabulous beach at Treasure Cay are huge attractions. The staff are friendly and accomodating and these factors go a long way towards mitigating the fact that the hotel, marina and general resort property is really showing its' age. We are long term stay guests at the marina attached to the resort and have stayed here for the past three winters. The docks are crumbling in some areas. Water and power is not metered so that both small and large boats pay fees that are not in keeping with their consumption of these needed utilities.The public bathrooms are deplorable (this is where marina guests shower but they are also used by the general public, the staff, visitors to the bar, etc.) There is an effort made each day to keep ahead of things, but this is a Herculean task that the staff have been asked to tackle with little success.

The bar and restaurant staff are also friendly and very competent, but again the physical resources at their disposal are certainly not those of a major resort.

A major distraction that drives us out of the marina for a quiet anchorage whenever the weather allows is the late night DJ driven, incessant thumping music that defies description as to its' genre. This is a given on Thursday through Saturday nights and lately also happens on Sunday nights. By midnight we are often still awake as the sounds carries so well over the water. Complaints to the DJ have not provided relief so approaching the new management may be the next step. This is still considered "off season" and many nights there are very few people hanging at the bar.

Go for the gorgeous beach and the friendly staff. But be prepared to accept this is not yet a world class resort, however much current advertising purports it to be.

Room Tip: As a marina guest stay on the docks farthest from the bar area. This probably holds tru for the roo...
4  Thank jdirwin
StephenKappelerGM, General Manager at Treasure Cay Beach, Marina & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thankyou JDIRWIN for your recent most favorable review and the excellent comments regarding our very friendly and helpful associates! We are often told it is the people not the bricks that make an out island resort special. It was my pleasure to host you and your wife, our long term frequent annual guests for dinner at our Monday Tipsy Taco Bingo night and to learn and hear more of your ideas for our resort and marina. AND thankyou even more for all your personal time and for caring about us the people and our resort to take all the time you did with me. I will keep one promise and that is to action every thing you noted to standard above your expectations. In fact, almost prior to your departure for the season, a full renovation of the Marina/Tipsy bathrooms and showers has been started with orders for materials 10 days prior your note to us to include new toilets, formica walls, all new shower heads, shower fixtures and at your recommendation a complete new shower area dedicated for privacy redesigned to the specifications you and others had taken the time to show me what you wanted. Several thousand dollars will be expensed this March. All marina boards and decking are inspected any removed if not to proper condition, in fact an inspection to ensure all nails etc are down and not protruding due to age. All dock and water stations where painted have been resealed and painted, to include all power centers and transformers. Upgraded landscape to our pool and marina surrounding areas is complete to the level they are beautiful flowering gardens.
As I opened our conversation, we met at Bingo-Tipsy Taco night on Monday, where I noted it was a boater and a resident that brought this idea for an otherwise boring Monday nite. With myself and my team of longterm committed tenured leaders, we promise to listen and action that which is good for our guests and reasonable and we created this night and a free NEW movie, helping to keep the need for loud music down or eliminated.

As for the music comment you noted, we agree and understand the challenges of offering an eventful entertaining bar that does its fair best to make our neighboring marina guests not feel uncomfortable due to volume. We commit that only on certain nights will we host powered music and agree that should there only be a few guests, loudness is not important and it be reduced but quality is. Sunday nights I explained is new event, requested by the local Bahamian Residents inside Treasure Cay to host their traditional "Fish Fry" where they traditionally enjoy their discounted $5 drinks and $10 Whole fried Snapper dinner or Chicken Plate combined with islander music and it has grown to be one of our busiest nights in attendance AND surprisingly not consisting of just local persons but well attended by our boaters and other visiting guests. Again we listened to all our guests and created an event to please each visiting and or resident segment of the market.
PS, next to Pizza Thursdays, Sundays is even my personal favorite entertainment night and what a great fun time to visit with the who is who of Abaco...Treasure Cay Resort is for everybody and Tipsy Seagull Pool Bar is Abaco's favorite locals rendezvous spot made popular by locals and our visiting guests as one fun place where something fun is happening 7 nights a week. Bob Marley calls it "One Love". We commit to keep the volume down where it is not needed and to plan fun events like Bingo Night that don't need amplified music every nite. I should point out our Marina hosted a record 74 boats this past weekend, here in part due to the fun nightlife only found at Treasure Cay.

You promised your return next year, like you have been here for the past 10, I thank you for that and I ask that you email one of our other over a dozen loyal long term stayers you know to find out if I kept OUR promise to action what you noted. I know you will be pleased to see what you noted complete and am only sorry that it was not done so a year ago in preparation for this season and for you to know our friendly team is here waiting as your family for your return. There is no greater satisfaction for me that than that of your returning smiling face and to welcome guests of your referral. We look forward to your return and to our ever improving resort and marina.
Your Out Island Friend,
Stephen

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I'm the wife mentioned in Roly M.'s review of Dec. 14th, 2013 so I'm just supplementing his review. We just booked Christmas week, 2014 and expect to add on another week or two. I can hardly wait.

WOW, heaven on earth if you like what we like. Roly is a diver, swimmer and snorkeller. I'm a nervous snorkeller and love to play in the water. Usually we just like a safe entry to get snorkelling. We love the outdoors and are happy WITHOUT crowds and parties. We each had about 10 books which we traded with each other.

When I heard our beach had been rated in the top ten in the world by National Geographic, I had to think about what makes a great beach great and why our beach had been rated so highly. There is the normal clear, turquoise water that you find in the Caribbean. The beach is a 3 1/2 mile horseshoe of deep, powdery white sand. The beach is wide (by my standards) and nearly deserted. There are no rocks, shells or reefs, just the most amazing sand and water. There is shade from palm trees available. To my delight, the depth increases very gradually. There wasn't much wave action or current the times we were there. AWESOME BEACH!!!

We only ate out twice during our visit, and not in Treasure Cay, so we can't comment on the restaurants. We were being very disciplined with our spending so bought groceries and cooked our meals. We found the prices to be about 1 1/2 times the prices we have in Nova Scotia. This time I plan for us to eat out A LOT! Merry Christmas to us. The beach restaurant looks absolutely charming, and pizza night at the pool bar sounds great. We did frequent Florence's bakery, enjoying cinnamon buns, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake...

I rented a bike and helmet twice for $6 and didn't kill myself or cause any accidents. We would have liked to have rented a golf cart, but that old budget... We rented a golf cart when we were in Bimini last year and enjoyed it mucho. We did rent a car for two days. (All these rental businesses are right on the resort premises.) We went south the first day. We had lunch and a snorkel in Marsh Harbour, then drove to the National park in search of the rare (I can't remember) parrot. No luck. There isn't much to see or do past Marsh Harbour, so we probably won't go that far again.

They say you can't get lost on Abaco because there's only one road, and it runs the length of the Island. Well, ha, ha, ha. We went into Marsh Harbour for gas on the way back, after dark. We got confused returning to the main road and drove MANY MILES, not knowing in which direction we were driving. It all looks the same, and there are no signs -- why would there be, you can't get lost, there's only one road. We also managed to get going the wrong way on a round-about and the wrong way on a boulevard going into a resort. When we found ourselves driving beside airport runway lights, we joked that we were probably ON the runway.

The second day we had the car we went north. We went to the tip of Abaco, passing through a number of villages, and ate outdoors at a take-out restaurant with fantastic food -- cracked conch, lobster tails, fresh coleslaw, rice and peas. Our meals were $10 each, I think. There were local men playing dominoes on their lunch hour and we had some great laughs with them. We particularly liked Cooperstown, and will make that trip to the northern tip again and again, I hope. And we'll eat at the same spot. It's hard to argue with perfection.

On the way back we went in search of an/the inland blue hole. Some schoolboys gave us excellent directions. They told us they went there to swim and "chill-out" We found it and were able to drive up close. It was really pretty... and blue. There were several swing ropes from the trees. Roly swam and I dipped my feet in, somewhat concerned about the precarious entrance and exit for my 64 year-old knees. It was a lovely experience on a beautiful day and next time I will swim.

I swam in the resort pool one evening, all by myself, under the palm trees and the full moon, to music coming from the bar. Lovely! Roly was chilled so he sat out. On the way back to our condo we ran into people sitting by the marina. They had just escaped a snowstorm in Chicago and were pleased to be sitting out in the evening watching a large, strange bird strolling over the grass. It was about 25 feet away and I THINK it was a night heron or bittern. Wonderful.

Well now you know why I rated the Treasure Cay Resort and Marina 5 out of 5. I even loved the bed. I kept telling that to Roly. It was a king with good quality linen. The matress and pillows were perfect for me. The sunsets over the marina from our patio were amazing.

Room Tip: We had a second story condo with a third story loft bedroom. Our big patio/deck was on the marina s...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dreameranddoer
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I recently visited Treasure Cay Beach, Marina & Golf Resort and had an experience that would last forever. Everything was picture perfect and I wished that I could stay there forever. The staff was amazing especially Collie and Sean who catered to our every need. The villas were very spacious and clean and the grounds were well kept. The food was better than expected and the crack conch was the best I've had in years. I can't wait to return and bring some friends along with me. I would recommend Treasure Cay Beach Resort to all in search of the perfect vacation.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kizzy C
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife & I spent a week here and wish we could have stayed longer. A very relaxed and laid back resort. Friendly and helpful staff.

We had a room with a balcony overlooking the marina - very nice. Spent every morning & evening watching the sun rise/set with cocktails. The rooms were nice - nothing fancy but we didn't spend a lot of time in it. Full size fridge, microwave, coffee maker. 2 TVs with a variety of stations.

Grocery and liquor store were very close and offered everything we needed. (Prices are a little steep but we expected that). Also a bakery with bread, sticky buns nd lunch specials is nearby.

The main attraction (for us) was the beach. A short walk to the beach (or you can rent golf carts) gave us exercise and got us revved for the day. Beautiful blue waters - can't be described here and the beach is long and great for walks. Palapas and beach chairs are complimentary. Never had a problem with availability. Umbrellas are available for rental. Nearby is the Coco Bar - full bar and food. Friendly service but not necessarily fast.

The resort does have a smaller pool - not heated and it was a little chilly. Adjacent to the pool is the Tipsy Seagull - a full bar and food (it is the same food cooked at the Coco Bar and brought over). Again, friendly service. They have a special Pizza night on Thursday (only time to get pizza all week. Get there early - everyone likes pizza!)

There is one additional restaurant - open only on Friday and Saturday (at least in this season) named Spinnaker. We went on Valentines Day and the service, the meal, the atmosphere was terrific. A fancier restaurant (but still not that fancy), we had champagne and my wife was given a rose. A very nice evening.

Overall, I would recommend this resort for its service, its laid back attitude (that's why we went there) and the beautiful beach. There are resorts that are fancier, luxurious and have more activities but for what we were looking for, it was perfect!

Room Tip: Most rooms over look the marina. The ones with a balcony provide a better view.
3  Thank GSi_Bailey
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This has to be one of the best values in the Bahamas. Friendly, laid back... a real getaway. Avis, Cleveland and the rest of the crew could not have bee more helpful. Not fancy, but all you need at the beach. The food was good with anything from basic fare to more formal offerings all within a quarter mile. The beach is as good as it gets. All services are right there - from business needs to a car rental. See you next year Treasure Cay!

Room Tip: Choose one of the upper rooms with great views of the Marina.
4  Thank roverVermont
Also consider these accommodations in or near Treasure Cay
8 mi away
Bluff House Beach Resort & Marina
Bluff House Beach Resort & Marin...
#1 of 2 in Green Turtle Cay
Oceanfrontier Hideaway
#2 of 5 in Great Guana Cay
0 mi away
Love At First Sight Hotel

Been to Treasure Cay Beach, Marina & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!