“Ok place to stay in overnight from Ciampino Airport”
Review of Hotel Villa Giulia

Hotel Villa Giulia
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ciampino
Chicago, Illinois
“Ok place to stay in overnight from Ciampino Airport”
Reviewed 2 July 2011

This place is 1-2 miles from the airport. We paid around 15 euro for the taxi for here from the airport. The front desk guy was very helpful and spoke good English.
the a/c was weak and the room was small. Also we booked for a single room for 2 adults what we got was a very small room with two single camp beds.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed 11 June 2011

The only reason we stayed here is because we had incredibly early and late flights in/out of Ciampino on Ryan Air. We wanted an adequate place to stay (clean, well located to the airport) for the cheapest rate possible. We stayed in their mansarda room (on the upper story with sloped ceilings) which is an extra Euro 10 off the regular price. The room was extremely tiny with twin beds and one bedside table in between. The bathroom (also with sloped ceiling) still was large enough to include a bidet and the shower was very adequate. It met our purposes more than well enough. Unfortunately, our flight was even earlier than their breakfast hour began, and was too early to walk to the train station to catch the shuttle bus to the airport. But they called a taxi for us which arrived on time (which was a huge black Mercedes limo) and he only charged us Euro 20 to get to the airport--that seems to be the going legitimate rate. We will stay here again if the rate remains low and we need early or late connections at Ciampino airport. I would not stay here for a general trip to Rome--for that I would definitely stay in the city center.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
DC, USA
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We stayed here as we had a flight from Ciampino the next morning. It's conveniently located a 7 minute walk to the train station with frequent and inexpensive trains to and from Rome. To continue with the good, the included breakfast the next morning was very Italian so just pastries and juices, but the pastries were delicious! There was also free wifi in the courtyard and breakfast room. Additionally, there was a new flatscreen TV in the room. Unfortunately the bad outweighs the good. Our room was tiny, even by European standards, it was basically a closet. We arrived late at night and the room was unbearably warm, although we turned the air conditioning unit on right away, it took hours for it to really cool the room down (surprising for how small it was!). The beds weren't particularly comfortable either as the mattress sagged a great deal in the middle. The shower water pressure was great, but it was tough to enjoy as you could see a fair amount of mildew between the shower tiles. This was just about the cheapest option in Ciampino the night we were there, but was still greatly overpriced. I don't like to sound too negative here, but we've stayed many places around the world and this was among the most disappointing.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ciampino hotels

Nashville, TN
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Would I recommend staying here while visiting Rome? Absolutely not. Would I recommend sightseeing in Ciampino? Not really. Would I recommend staying here if you have any early flight the next morning? Absolutely.

The room was very nicely sized and clean with an ensuite bathroom and refrigerator. The nights sleep was great and it was very quiet. Maybe a little pricey for what it is, but I would probably stay again.

This is about 5 minute walk from the main Ciampino city train station. DO NOT take a cab from/to the airport to here. Take the bus ran by Schiaffini/Cotral. It runs at pretty regular intervals from the airport to the main the train station. It's about a 10 minute bus ride and costs 1.20.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WesNileVirus
London
Reviewed 16 October 2010

This hotel was booked mainly because it is close to family members whoc live nearby. The staff were lovely and spoke very good English. Breakfast was very Italian, lots of cakes, pies, bread and cereal but all good with a small selection. There is free internet in the breakfast room which was a great bonus. Rooms are very small with low ceilings, upstairs at least, and there is no lift. However we didn't spend much time in the rooms and the staff were very willing to help with heavy bags. Overall this is a good hotel for those who would prefer to spen theor money on the delights of Rome. The station is about 5 minutes walk and a daily travel card ony 6 Euros.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I stayed here for a week, and as long as you're not expecting 4 star rooms or amenities, it was a decent enough place and good value for money. I found a very cheap rate of £33 a night online, so wasn't I expecting much, but was happy with most aspects of my stay.

Good points: The receptionists spoke very good English, and were always polite, professional and helpful. The breakfasts were very good for a continental fare, with cereals, bread, rolls, cakes, yoghurts and juice/tea/coffee. There's a TV in the breakfast area which is always tuned to an Italian news channel. The location is great if you want to avoid Rome itself, just 10 minutes to the local train station, and then a 15 minute journey to the Termini station in Rome. Trains are fairly regular, but sometimes can be a bit crowded. My room was cleaned every day, and everything in it worked just fine. There was a small flat screen tv, although the only English channel I could find was BBC World News, but there are a couple of music channels as well which play English songs as well as Italian.

Bad points: The room I was in, up on the first floor (second floor to Americans), was a little small for me. I'm 6'4, and the bed was a little too short, although I was able to get to sleep ok, it wasn't too uncomfortable. The thing that would keep me up, or wake me up, was the sound of the airplanes - be warned this is very close to the airport. Also the roof slopes down in the bathroom, to the point where I couldn't stand up straight whilst making use of the facilities. I can't really complain, considering what I paid there was always going to be something wrong, and otherwise the room was fine. However I feel that I should warn others, especially tall folks, that this may not suit you. I did get a look at the bigger rooms on the ground (first) floor, and they seemed a little small too, although obviously without the sloping roof issue. Again, you get what you pay for, and besides this I have no real complaints about the Hotel Villa Giulia, except that there is only one computer with internet access available. It's what you'd expect from a small place, but it was annoying that I couldn't get online because it was in use by other people.

Overall I'd recommend this hotel for people who don't mind a little bit of travelling to get to the sights, can put up with the noise of the airport (it's not defeaning or anything, but it's noticeable), and are only looking at the room as a place to sleep and wash.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Our flight arrived into Ciampino airport around 10pm so rather than pay for a hotel in the centre of Rome just to sleep that evening we decided to bed down in a hotel in Ciampino. The hotel is approx five/ten mins drive from the airport, watch out for the taxi drivers charging a fortune to get there!! Tried to charge 30 euros which is the same cost to get to the centre of Rome.

The room was clean and basic but fine for an overnight stay only, was quite noisy in the early morning but would expect due to the proximity to the airport people taking early flights. Breakfast was included in the price which again was quite basic, toast or croissants.

The hotel is walking distance to Ciampino train station which for a couple of euros takes you direct to Roma Termini, we would recommend the hotel if you are arriving late to the airport and just want somewhere to bed down, but head into Rome centre after!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonKymani
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ciampino
CiampinoHotel
#4 of 6 in Ciampino
Meeting Hotel
Meeting Hotel
#749 of 1,256 in Rome

Been to Hotel Villa Giulia? Share your experiences!