The Old Hall Hotel
Travelodge Widnes(Widnes)(Great Value!)
US$83
  • Breakfast included
Travelocity
All reviewscoal firefinger sandwichesfull englishflat screen tvshort staystayed here for one nightlovely hotelan evening mealfood was lovelyfollowing morningtea and coffeebathsofaensuiteruncornheatingchester
Reviewed 15 August 2013

If you stay in a lot of hotels which are 3* or above, then this review is for you. The Old Hall is just that; old. Well presented from the outside, in a pleasant enough setting, it makes a good first impression. The hotel has a lot of character when you first walk in.

I need to preface this review with the fact that I stay in a *lot* of hotels, don't always pay for them myself and have an annoying trait of noticing things that others don't or don't care about.

First impressions, unfortunately, don't last for the 100GBPs a night they were charging me (B&B). I booked a double room, with breakfast. The presentation right through the hotel is ok but the carpets need changing. The rest of the decor is in keeping with the character but the cheap looking, borderline shabby carpets stand out. Which is a shame for a historic building.

The room I had was fine but, because of the age of the building, the bathroom was cramped. It had a bath but shouldn't have. It only needed a shower, honestly. The bath boxed the toilet in. It was cramped and could have felt so much bigger with just a nice shower. It also needed updating, but was clean nonetheless. The TV in the room is tiny, I'd heard other people mention it too. I don't care but for those who do, it is.

The staff are friendly but the service is not as polished as one would expect. It's not a big deal but it lacks something that some other independent, or chain, hotels of the same rating have - I can only describe it as je ne sais quoi. Not quite there, really.

Food and drink: The bar doesn't have a huge selection but is fine. The menu isn't huge but is varied for one or two nights, three or four -- you might have the same thing twice but that could just be me. It's all well prepared and freshly cooked. There does seem a little inconsistency here, and it sounds really picky, but I asked for the cheese board with apple, instead of celery, and I got a whole uncut apple. Or I asked for a sausage sandwich and got three sausages, perfectly cooked, with 2 slices of bread separately presented, cut in diagonals with their crusts removed! It was like Dali had sorted things out! It sounds petty but it was so incongruous, it was funny. One didn't try, the other tried for no reason?! It's the little touches that show class and refinement.

I mention the above things because I stay in so many hotels, it becomes obvious to me and when comparing here to other places, you see the odd things.

All-in-all a nice, homely place to stay on business.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Nice litle hotel direkt on main street, large parking rigth behind the hotel, large cars may need to drive slowly true"gate".warm welcome in reception. Rooms small but did look relativly renovated, could use a climat control, very hot during the nigth. Large bathroom very modern. Room very clean and ok. Litle garden were drinks are served. Very good restaurants, very good food of a good quality, steak cooked just as wanted. In general ok stay, but do change the carpet on the stairs up to the 1floor, it does look old and very used. Can recommend the restauran for both businessnand pleasure.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed for one night as a treat for our wedding anniversary, our room was beautiful very spacious and decorated to a high standard, the bed very comfortable. The garden to the rear was lovely, we sat outside in the evening with a drink admiring the surroundings.Would definitely recommend this hotel and we will be staying there again one day.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Had a couple of dinners in Frodsham in July. The Italian, Amore, is, strangely, not on TripAdvisor's books yet - but, as with Old Hall, it was very good.

This was during our heatwave so we had dinner in Old Hall's garden, which is very attractive. The simple starter of watermelon and feta was excellent as were the mains, sea bream and a turkey roast. A carbohydrate fix was provided through mash with the fish, boiled potatoes with the veg and a bowl of chips - haute cuisine or what!

Service was accommodating. Altogether a very pleasant evening.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Really bright, well maintained downstairs restaurant, bar and lounge with a little maze of side rooms and cubby's to hide away and have a drink in. Didn't eat or stay there but well worth heading to for a change to costa or starbucks :-)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends