“"Fantastic"”
Review of The Old Hall Hotel

The Old Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Frodsham
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here for one night on dinner, bed and breakfast basis...what a fantastic choice, the Manager Mark and all the staff went out of their way to ensure our brief stay was as pleasant as possible. From the outset the reception staff presented themselves very professionally and could not do enough to help us, the room we had was beautiful, very large, tastefully decorated and very clean, in whole much better than expected for a 3 star hotel, I must say I would rate the hotel at least 4 star upon our experience...now for the restaurant..I can not praise the waiting staff enough for the whole evening the girls work extremely hard to make sure you have a most enjoyable evening, fantastic customer service! the meal itself was exceptional I and my wife has steak of which was simply wonderful, the best I have tasted for a long long time, the chef must be complemented for both the presentation and quality of the food served, absolutely amazing.
I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Old Hall Hotel, it is a little gem and from our experience a place where you can relax and enjoy your surroundings with the little nooks for drinks etc...well done to all the team there for making our stay exceptional.

Room Tip: Our room (23) was at the rear of the hotel and was really quite with no adjoining rooms, very big wi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We are always on the look out for nice places to stay with our girls (greyhounds Millie & Katie) and what a place we have found. The hotel is lovely, the food was great and the service perfect. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was massive with a sofa and plenty of space for us all. we will be back and will pass on the hotel details to all our other friends that have dogs. Thank you so much for a great stay.

1  Thank Bev F
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We have just had a pleasant evening at this hotel and restaurant. The meal was excellent I had roast duck. This was followed by a waffle and with a redcurrant jam and ice cream The surroundings and ambience were very nice and the service was superb.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

From the front this hotel has a pleasant and somewhat quirky architectural aspect. It encourages thoughts of a journey back in time to a more gentle and stylish era, however all this spoiled by venturing in to the car park at the rear with a view of a modern extension that appears in need of more renovation than the original building, softwood window frames in need of a new coat of varnish and some general exterior maintenance care.
I appreciate planning restrictions make it difficult to alter/upgrade such historical buildings so I guess it is all the more important to ensure that aspects such as the bathrooms are modern and well maintained, new grouting on tiles periodically.
Has loads of potential, needs more tlc and general maintenance/housekeeping. Staff seemed indifferent, yet there was still a feeling that with the right vision and outlook this could be transformed

1  Thank NEWLIFE2
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

A lovely place for coffee, especially in winter. However, the filter coffee could be stronger, and I'd like to see newspapers and magazines,

A great place when the fire's lit, with a lovely owner, and kindly staff.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

If you stay in a lot of hotels which are 3* or above, then this review is for you. The Old Hall is just that; old. Well presented from the outside, in a pleasant enough setting, it makes a good first impression. The hotel has a lot of character when you first walk in.

I need to preface this review with the fact that I stay in a *lot* of hotels, don't always pay for them myself and have an annoying trait of noticing things that others don't or don't care about.

First impressions, unfortunately, don't last for the 100GBPs a night they were charging me (B&B). I booked a double room, with breakfast. The presentation right through the hotel is ok but the carpets need changing. The rest of the decor is in keeping with the character but the cheap looking, borderline shabby carpets stand out. Which is a shame for a historic building.

The room I had was fine but, because of the age of the building, the bathroom was cramped. It had a bath but shouldn't have. It only needed a shower, honestly. The bath boxed the toilet in. It was cramped and could have felt so much bigger with just a nice shower. It also needed updating, but was clean nonetheless. The TV in the room is tiny, I'd heard other people mention it too. I don't care but for those who do, it is.

The staff are friendly but the service is not as polished as one would expect. It's not a big deal but it lacks something that some other independent, or chain, hotels of the same rating have - I can only describe it as je ne sais quoi. Not quite there, really.

Food and drink: The bar doesn't have a huge selection but is fine. The menu isn't huge but is varied for one or two nights, three or four -- you might have the same thing twice but that could just be me. It's all well prepared and freshly cooked. There does seem a little inconsistency here, and it sounds really picky, but I asked for the cheese board with apple, instead of celery, and I got a whole uncut apple. Or I asked for a sausage sandwich and got three sausages, perfectly cooked, with 2 slices of bread separately presented, cut in diagonals with their crusts removed! It was like Dali had sorted things out! It sounds petty but it was so incongruous, it was funny. One didn't try, the other tried for no reason?! It's the little touches that show class and refinement.

I mention the above things because I stay in so many hotels, it becomes obvious to me and when comparing here to other places, you see the odd things.

All-in-all a nice, homely place to stay on business.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Nice litle hotel direkt on main street, large parking rigth behind the hotel, large cars may need to drive slowly true"gate".warm welcome in reception. Rooms small but did look relativly renovated, could use a climat control, very hot during the nigth. Large bathroom very modern. Room very clean and ok. Litle garden were drinks are served. Very good restaurants, very good food of a good quality, steak cooked just as wanted. In general ok stay, but do change the carpet on the stairs up to the 1floor, it does look old and very used. Can recommend the restauran for both businessnand pleasure.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frodsham
Best Western Forest Hills Hotel
Campanile Runcorn
Campanile Runcorn
#3 of 3 in Runcorn
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa

Been to The Old Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!