“Absolutely Heaven”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed in their pool villa and did not have a chance to see the city as were in the pool for the entire 4 days there! Service was too good and my kids still remember Phet and Kate from Ocean Kiss as they were soooo friendly. Kate also gave my daughter a clip she was wearing to remember her by. The massages were great too but you can get a few more done for a fraction of the price at the massage place outside the hotel.

Thumbs up and will definitely go back there.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank AishaAwan
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2011

Dear AishaAwan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments with us. We will definitely share them with our team, especially Khun Kate and Khun Phet.

All of us will be looking forward welcoming you and your daughter back to our resort.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Very impressive hotel, stayed in the deluxe room (the most basic) and it was huge and probably the best we have ever stayed in!
Huuuuge bathroom and balcony area. The infinity pool was breathtaking! Best breakfast buffet of the holiday (we stayed in 4 hotels over thailand) the smoothies were our favourite! Location is about 15 min walk to the main part of chaweng beach but this is a good thing, make sure you don't pay more than 200baht for a cab, your best bet is to hop in the red taxi vans for 50baht each, we did walk when it wasnt raining though!
Skyhug restaurant is definitely worth a visit if you're not on a budget, 3 courses came to £100.00, the most expensive of our entire holiday.
We would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear lucycantwell89,

Thank you so much for those fantastic comments and compliments. Great to hear that you had such a fantastic stay.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back soon... SkyHug is now renamed to TreeTops by the way, with even more highlights!!

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Fantastic resort - everything exceeded our expectations: The breakfast with all the different delicious smoothies everyday and freshly prepared omelets, fantastic pool right at the beach, the cooking class with staff teaching us the essentials of Thai cooking , events at the resort like Saturday Social brunch on the beach with fantastic food and cool music, our spa experiences with a professional team who made the best manicure & relaxing massage, the Thai beach dining with a spectacular fire show and fabulous food and the unbelievable intimate Tree Top Dining with the always so attentative staff.

The entire staff at Lawana made us feel so welcome. We had very high expectations to an Anantara resort in Thailand – and everything was better than we expected. We can definitely recommend this fantastic resort to everyone who wants a relaxing, luxurious vacation.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Stefanie Tuma,

There is very little left to say from us rather than a Thank You for such a wonderful review.

We hope we will be able to be measured against your expectations again.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed here for four absolutely wonderful days in July 2011.

First impressions were excellent - the lobby looks very nice indeed - in fact, the resort in its entirety is very well kept. The room was extremely comfortable, although the shower was rather lacking in power. However, the huge bath next to it was a joy to bathe in.

The swimming pool is huge, and really is gorgeous. It's very much a leisure pool - too shallow to dive into, which is forbidden anyway but great for a quick swim or just standing in and watching the beach or your fellow guests. The rules are supposedly no glass in the pool area, but we saw plenty of people cheerfully drinking cocktails and beers in the pool. Anyway, the pool is probably the best thing about staying here.

The beach is quite nice, although it is more attractive if you go in the water up and then paddle to the stretch in front of the adjacent hotel. The sea was beautifully warm at this time of year, and it is shallow a long way out. It was really pleasant to go back and forth between the pool and the sea.

Breakfast is absolutely excellent, with usual English breakfast fare as well as Thai food and an egg cooking station. Definitely best is the wonderful range of exotic (to me) fruits and fruit juices - the former are cut up by the staff for you.

I felt that the staff were particularly pleasant. Needless-to-say, pleasant, smiling staff are expected at the top end of the hotel industry, but I thought the staff here went beyond that. No matter what their job was, every time I passed a staff member they had a smile and a Sawasdee Krup / Kaa. Can't commend their attitude enough.

Problems? Well, as mentioned earlier, the shower in the room was more a trickle than a shower. The room lighting never makes the room particularly light. Perhaps they were trying to help us set a romantic atmosphere. And when we ordered room service, the waiter didn't know what dish I wanted and had to come to the room to have a look at the menu, although that made me chuckle rather than annoyed me. The room service was, by the way, delicious and surprisingly cheap.

My wife had a spa treatment, and speaks very highly of it.

Definitely worthy of a stay if you are looking for a nice resort in Ko Samui.

One last point - we were not troubled by mosquitoes at all, thanks to the mosquito coils which where changed daily by the staff.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Samui_Monkichi,

Thank you very much for this wonderful review. We are always glad to hear when we achieved our goal, providing our guests with an amazing stay they love to remember.

Our apology that the room service order did not go very smooth, but we appreciate that you have taken the incident with humor.

My team and I would be glad welcoming you back and thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 20 July 2011

Anantara turned out be a very expensive experience.
We had booked a Plunge Pool Room. Don't book this room. “A palatial 91 square metres of space” is what the hotel website says about them, but unfortunately this is mostly the bathroom, pool and “living area” - actually an open-air verandah next to the plunge pool, with floor cushions for a sofa. Pass the mosquito repellent. The room was claustrophobic and with no storage. You’d have to watch TV in bed. This is our fault. We should have looked more closely at the floorplan.
So we decided to bite the bullet and either upgrade to a villa at Anantara for a reasonable price or just go back to our previous resort with its massive bargain-priced villa (see my review of the Kirikayan Maenam). I told the front desk that we didn’t like our room and they were very nice about it. In fact, all the staff were always very, very nice, about everything. I said that we would upgrade but only for the difference between the advertised internet rate on Agoda betweena Plunge Pool villa and the much larger Pool Villa, or that we would leave.
They took me in a buggy to check out the villas. They seemed OK and the extra price was the same as going back to our old hotel. I'm talking $AUD200. So we changed rooms.
The pool villa had a nice big (but quite shallow) pool, a big covered sala with a proper sofa and coffee table, convenient powerpoints for your iPod dock or whatever, sunbeds, greenery, a view to the ocean.
But how’s this for design nous? The only toilet was completely exposed to the outside living area. Sitting on the outdoor sofa you could watch your friend doing a poo, and maybe have a nice chat. "How's that grogan going? You sure sure have been sitting there a while, Francine." Or sitting there on the dunny, you could chat with your guests! No matter if the fabric modesty screen was up or down, everyone would be able to hear absolutely everything. That’s just plain weird design.
The villa had towering wooden ceilings which had a lovely shingled look. There was a TV and a DVD player on top of the minibar cabinet. There was no TV in the bedroom section however. Be aware of this if you like to watch TV in bed. Also be aware that if you need soundproofed zones in a large, very expensive villa room (that is, doors that can close and block out sound while someone is in the bedroom sleeping while you watch a DVD), this is not the villa for you. There was no music system (such as a iPod dock). Task lighting was quite good – effective lamps to reduce glare, you could read in bed, and they even offer additional reading lamps if you want to request them.
As usual with big hotels, the fridge was packed with unwanted overpriced luxury and basic foodstuffs and beverages. I went to reception and told the nice lady there that we would not be buying anything from the minibar and to please remove absolutely everything from the fridge while we were out at dinner, and this they did, except for the chilled beer glasses. So good on them for that. There is a Family Mart directly across the street from the hotel where you can buy any drinks. We ordered ice from reception. I do not not believe in using minibars unless desperate. And there was a lady on the corner of the road down to Chaweng who washed our clothes for just 30 baht a kilo! (the usual rate is 40-45 baht from streetside laundries).
WiFi worked well on laptop as well as iPhone. The resort’s library had very interesting things to read, especially some good books about Thailand. There was a quite amazing selection on Asian fine arts and Thai history. Plus a good autobiography by actor Michael Caine – I read it all. Also two free computers in the library, and you could make coffee in there.
Breakfast was good but they ran out of food, like bacon, all the time. One morning when I went to serve myself some the bacon thing had two slices if sodden bread, obviously to absorb fat, and one tiny little piece of rind. A quarter of an hourlater, in a full restaurant, later the situation was the same – no bacon. I watched to see if they filled it up. They didn’t. I ordered an omelette, which was fine, and had one little chicken chipolata with it (there were only two sausages available in the serving vessel – and I mean two actual individual sausages. I took one and left one for someone else.) I would have liked some Vegemite (there were Australians everywhere). The juices were of a high standard compared to most Thai hotels, which seem to prefer coloured sugar water to real juice. Service was very friendly and you get the Bangkok Post. Coffee was fine.
Next morning I made myself a salad-and-meat sandwich (with lovely fresh wholemeal bread that I cut myself from a large rustic loaf) for breakfast. “Looks yummy,” said a passing waitress. It was, it was! They even had beetroot.
They didn't offer to drive us to our next destination (it was just down the road), unlike our previous hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book a Plunge Pool room! It's tiny and a rip-off
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Subber

Dear Subber,

A very detailed and helpful review, which we highly appreciate.

We are sorry to hear that part of our room’s design did not meet your personal taste and we sincerely hope that the alternative our team offered made it still a great vacation experience.

Please rest assured that we have looked into the replacement of food at the breakfast, as we have been very surprised to hear this. Our goal is to provide our food as fresh as possible and not to pre-cook a massive amount which will be sitting in the chafing dishes for hours.
Unfortunately it seems that this approach created some shortages during your stay which we sincerely would like to apologize for. Following a personal follow up check this morning we can assure as well that we are offering again Vegemite as we know about the high demand for this from some of our Australian customers.

We appreciate your feedback and hope we will be able welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed in the Anantara Lawana as part of our honeymoon. We were really looking forward to a nice relaxing time after the mayhem of Bangkok. We arrived in the middle of the afternoon and were greeted very warmly. We were than shown to our room, a deluxe plunge pool room. I had booked this as liked the idea of our own outside space. I was really dissapointed when we got to the room. The outside space reminded me of someone's backyard. The pool was entirely in the shade, the room was so dark, I found it really depressing and there was vitually zero storage space. We stayed a couple of days in the room, finally I had to request a change as I was so unhappy with it. The hotel was very quiet during our stay, there were a lot of free rooms, we tried to negotiate a seaview villa but the price was too prohibitive, I felt that they could have worked with us given that place was practically desserted. We went to a pool villa room which was a massive improvement.

The staff in the resort were brilliant, nothing was too much trouble but at times we found it a little over the top, it could be quite fake. Standard of food was good and the spa was excellent but overall I regretted our choice, I think there are better hotels on the island. Also we never once got so much as an hello from the management despite the fact that they were around the breakfast area most days. My husband works in the hotel industry and he found that a bit strange.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dublintwinkle

Dear Dublintwinkle,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.

Please accept my sincere apology that we haven't met your expectations in all areas and in particular that we haven't met and chatted personally. Especially as you seem to have had your concerns already during your stay I would have been more than happy to discuss them personally with you and try to find a solution. As you mentioned, either myself or my Assistant are usually spending time around the breakfast area in the morning talking to our guests and if we are not able to catch up with everybody we appreciate it even more if we are getting approached.

As you can see in previous reviews, very often it depends on a very personal taste if a room is liked or not. We do have additional storage facilities available and are able to provide them for customer with more luggage at any time, should this been raised as a concern during the stay.

We are glad to hear that my team has been able to find a suitable solution for you, even though it wasn’t one of our highly demanded Sea View Pool Villas. Even though the entire resort might not be busy, we experience an extremely high demand for this particular room type and it could be very likely that you enquired for the last available villa in that category.

Thank you as well for the positive comments about the friendliness of my team, and I can assure you that it is genuine and from the heart.

Once again, we appreciate your feedback as it will help us serving our future customer better
and we are hoping that you might be one of them again.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

Currently in the middle of a 2 week stay to celebrate my 40th birthday, wow what a treat, we have stayed at some of the top resorts around the world and this is up there with the best of them. We are staying in a luxury pool villa, it's very spacious and has a large patio with a decent size pool and an outdoor bath, there is also an outdoor shower which is very powerful. Great quiet location but central to lots of good places which are only a cheap taxi ride away, highly recommended , only minor criticism is that some of the staff not speak very good English.
Very clean, pleasant resort and would definately stay again

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank MJoseph2307
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

Dear MJoseph2307,

We appreciate very much your impatience to post a positive feedback about your experience even though you have not even departed yet.

I will get in touch with you personally and hope you will be enjoying the rest of your vacation as much as you did so far.

…and we will be working on our English skills

Looking forward meeting you in person

Kind regards

Lars Kerfin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Muang Samui Spa Resort
#3 of 104 in Chaweng
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!