“Fantastic stay at hotel! Quality resort!”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #10 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
New York
“Fantastic stay at hotel! Quality resort!”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

This was the perfect retreat when visiting Koh Samui. We stayed five nights in late September. It is a perfect place for couples as the hotel provides high quality service, pleasant staff and a convenient breakfast. The breakfast offered a variety of foods, from western to asian as well as fresh fruits and juice every morning. Also, it is also a convenient 5 minute drive to Chaweng. Tutu was especially pleasant and helped my boyfriend and I with any questions we had. The staff took the time to assist us with planning excursions such as visiting Ang Thong National Park which is a must do. The infinity pool was a nice area to swim. The beach was clean and it was also nice staying by the water. We did not have time to kayak but it was an additional bonus to be able to do it there. The deluxe room was spotless and the balcony was a relaxing spot to wind down after a long day of walking (the weather was not too hot for us to enjoy it). I would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting the island and will stay here again if we come back.

4 Thank BKNY12
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Dear BKNY12,

We highly appreciate that you have taken the time to share your positive feedback.

We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that Khun Tutu has been able to add the additional personal touch to it.

We appreciate you recommending our resort and would be delighted welcoming you back.

Lars Kerfin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Zurich
Reviewed 29 October 2011

This is the perfect place for a relaxing holiday for couples who enjoy and appreciate outstanding service with class and a lot of attention to detail. The staff truely care and they put in so much personal extra effort to remember all your favourite things and they treat you with warmth and professionalism that overpasses the usual Thai friendliness. As repeating customers, we felt like coming home and we were happy to see that since our last visit things have improved even more. The pool area is classy and serene and the rooms are absolutely beautiful, stylish and immaculately clean (much nicer to the SALA Samui in comparison). The restaurants Ocean Kiss and Tree Tops are of outstanding quality both in terms of staff and food. We would like to express our compliments to Kun San (F&B Manager) and his team for making every day special for us and treating us like kings.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kopkunka
Dear Nadine and Mark,

Thank you so much for your ongoing patronage and your repeating visits (and feedbacks).

We certainly enjoy hearing that our ongoing efforts to upgrade and improve our services and amenities are being recognized and appreciated.

I will share your compliments with Khun San and his team and can assure you that they will feel encouraged by your feedback.

My team and I are looking forward welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future and surprise you with our latest enhancements.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Me and my boyfriend just came from Anantara Lawana Resort & Spa, Koh Samui we stayed from 30/9 till 8/10 in a deluxe pool access villa the resort was really nice and modern all what u will expect to have from a five star resort we had the breakfast every day at ocean kiss restaurant it was good but not excellent it was more Thai food which they eat fried rice in the morning!! It wasn’t my taste the only choice I like was the egg sheaf the hotel pool was amazing the beach wasn’t bad like many reviews mention its was good u can have a good swim and what I like about the beach it was privet not near the crowded city which but at the same time not that far only 20 mint walking in the beach or road side we eat many time from the pool and beach restaurant it was really nice and the price were ok not as many mention that it is over priced and the food quality was excellent, our villa was exactly like the picture in there web site actually all of them look the same nice modern villa with high sealing and huge open plan bathroom and a lovely out side sala the villa shared a huge pool with other 4 villas but no rarely they use the pool so it was all for us and we really had a good time no complain at all but for me 8 night its really enough u will get bored if u stay more, what I didn’t like were the chaweng center it was to dirty and cheap wasn’t my style at all this is my first trip to Thailand the people there were to friendly but the country really dirty sorry maybe because I always travel to Europe and it was such a different experience for me but the resort made our trip if I consider going back to Thailand am sure I will stay in this fabulous resort again I highly recommend this resort for every one.

Room Tip: book the deluxe access pool villa its worth it
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DaLaL_ShaNe3a
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear DaLaL_ShaNe3a,

Thank you very much that you have taken the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We are certainly very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and you will recommend us to others.

Following your comments we will review how we introduce our breakfast buffet to our guests as it seems like you have missed out on quite a lot of offerings. Beside the Asian corner and egg station we do offer pastries, fresh bread with cheese and cold cuts, jam, Nutella, vegemite, salads, yoghurts, muesli, fresh fruits, waffles, pancakes to name just a few.

We will be looking forward welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

Kind regards

Leicester
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We've just come back from a four night stay at this resort, which was the last part of our trip to Thailand.

The staff are (as all Thai service staff seem to be) very attentive and friendly. There were a couple of people who really stood out but unfortunately I didn't get their names.

We were booked into a standard villa (i.e. no pool access) but on arrival the air con was refusing to drop the room's temperature below 25 degrees. After a call (and an engineer visit) to reception, we were moved to a plunge pool villa. Although grateful for the pool, I hesitate to use the word upgrade, for a couple of small reasons.

One is that part of the bathroom has no roof - which means there's a really brill opportunity for lizards, beetles and other insects to come in while you're trying to shower. For a Briton, who sees an earwig at worst, five times a year, these creatures freaked my wife and I out every time! Also reduced us to using the toilet in daylight hours only so we could see what would want to bite us! The non-pool villa had an enclosed bathroom so although the smaller of insects could come through the shutters, there weren't any lizards!

The other is that there's no view, being on the ground rather than upstairs - so you don't (as we did in the first one) get to look at the sea. This said, I can't say I wasn't grateful for the change, purely because of the pool.

We ate most of our meals in the resort and they were all, without exception, perfect. The Tree Tops restaurant is brilliant; a great view so long as you don't eat in the dark! My tip would be to drench yourself in mosquito repellant before you go as we were joined by no end of them whilst trying to enjoy our meal. The food was absolutely top quality and really tasty.

I have two complaints about this resort (both of which I communicated whilst there, so don't need answering by the hotel's manager on Tripadvisor!):

Firstly, the pricing here is based on what the visitor will pay, and has no relation to what it costs to offer. For example, a main meal for two in the bar with two drinks each costs around GBP35 (cost in the UK would be about the same) and we spent GBP95 in Tree Tops on one starter, two mains and a dessert, with a G&T, bottle of water and a cocktail. In the UK (at a nearby AA rosette restaurant to where we live) we paid GBP100 for a four course (with amouse bouche and sorbet courses) meal with a cocktail each and a bottle of wine. We only paid £180 at The Ritz for the same thing!

Therefore, if we'd have eaten the same meals in the UK for the four days, we'd have saved money. This is ridiculous, given the massively lower food and labour costs in Thailand.

A similar issue is at the spa; my wife had a treatment for around GBP95 and she'd pay slighly less for that at home, for the same Elemis treatment.

I had thought that £3500 for 12 nights in Thailand would be a little bit recompensed by the savings on things bought whilst there - not true!

The other complaint was that one morning when going out of our villa, our housekeeper arrived as we were leaving. I quickly scanned the room for things we might want to take with us (specifically for convenience, not security as at that point, I had no reason to distrust the housekeeper, judging by the other resort staff). I decided to leave a pile of ~100 baht in coins, by the telly as I didn't have any pockets to put them in!

When we got back, the coins had gone. As it was the middle of our stay, I was surprised that the housekeeper had taken it as I (and I thought this was the same for most people) don't usually tip before the last day - so I rang reception to see what'd happened. They initially said that "maybe she thought it was a tip" - so I asked them to look into it and get back to me. They didn't, so after an hour I rang them back and they said that the housekeeper had no knowledge of the money.

Obviously, 100 baht is not anything worth worrying about in its value, being about GBP2. The issue I had was that I now couldn't trust our housekeeper to come in without stealing. Where would she draw the line - 200 baht, 500, or even 1000? What if I'd gone for breakfast and left a couple of thousand out - would she have taken that?

So - my point is, if you stay here, just be aware that people worldwide have sticky fingers - and the lady who cleaned our room did nothing to disperse the assumption that housekeepers can't be trusted. My mother was a chambermaid many moons ago when she was young, so I hate accusing them. Just this time, I know who took my money!

I would (and usually do in hotels) have left the housekeeper a reasonable tip when checking out, especially when compared to what she gets paid. So in stealing, all she did was destroy the chances of a proper 'thanks'. If reception had come back to me and said that she did take it, thinking it was a tip, I wouldn't really have cared as much as I do - it's that I was lied to, which is inexcusable.

Overall, I would probably recommend this place for honeymooners or for someone who's looking for something different to a city break. Just don't come here for two weeks (you'll get bored unless you really research the rest of the island and make use of other things) and be aware that you need deep pockets!

Room Tip: Be careful of the location - some are a bit more of a walk than one would like in 35 degrees!
2 Thank aviatorleics
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Dear Timmne,

First of all my sincere apology for the incident with your coins. You can rest assured that we have all measurements in place to prevent and discourage similar incidents from happening. Even though we can’t give 100% assurance we are confident that we limit opportunities to an absolute minimum. We will use your feedback to reinforce our security policies for the future.

We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your overall stay very much and even the initial challenge with the aircondition has been resolved quickly, even though the upgraded room didn’t exactly compensated you due to the open bathroom. I am confident that my team would have had further alternatives available for you, should we have known about this.

Even though you discouraged me to comment on it, I certainly can’t resist doing so… my apology in advance for what is coming...

I couldn’t resist investigating your comments in regards of our Food & Beverage pricing and have been able to locate your bills from TreeTops for example. Even though there are certainly other options available, we are using only ingredients of the highest quality at our restaurants and ensure that the staff members serving you and preparing your food are highly trained and are among some of the best you will be able to find on Koh Samui. The TreeTops dinner of THB 4,366.67 included menu items like Australian 150 days grain feed Black Angus beef tenderloin, US Deep Sea Scallops, Homemade Pasta with Alaskan Black Cod, King Scallops and Phuket Lobster. The water was imported French water and also for the Gin Tonic and the Martini premium brands have been used. Not mentioned, but important considering the menu pricing is that it came along with a complimentary amouse bouche and sorbet. In addition you have been offered to your main course a selection of imported premium salts, introduced to you by our resident Salt Guru, who is able to explain you what salt compliments your main course the best. An experience which you won’t be able to find in many places yet. Even though you haven’t ordered any wine for your dinner, I am confident that our Wine Guru, Khun Aoy, who has just recently been awarded the runner up prize in the national Sommelier competition, was available and happy to make you wine recommendation.

I agree that your dinner could have been served at a lower price if we would have compromised on quality or overall experience. But I would challenge that you find a similar experience or value for money anywhere in the UK or Europe, considering all of the above.
Once again, my sincere apology that I couldn’t resist in commenting on it. We do appreciate your comments and the opportunity to review and act upon them, therefore I hope it is in your best interest.

We have been very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would recommend us for other travelers. Should the opportunity arise would I be more than pleased to invite you for some drinks in TreeTops and share further details… or just enjoy the view and atmosphere together.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I don't have much to say except WOW...the staff are the best staff i have ever had the pleasure of encountering or dealing with. So friendly and so cheerful and smiley, its just pure bliss. Stayed in a plunge pool villa and then moved to a pool villa and both accommodations were beyond description.. not one mistake in this hotel ..

Room Tip: all rooms are great but i would recommend the rooms that are up close to the pool and beach area as...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoLiiii
Dear Loliii,

What else can I say than just "Thank you" for such a fantastic review.

Being a piece of heaven for our guests is very close to what we at Anantara would like to achieve.

We will make sure that we point out better the possibility of using our buggy service to/from the pool or beach, so the piece of heaven is even easier to reach.

Thank you once again for the great feedback and we are looking forward welcoming you back soon.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We decided to spend a long weekend in Koh Samui after moving to Bangkok over the summer and wanted to escape the city. We had high expectations and had seen a few negative comments about location and maintenance.

We arrived at the airport and were greeted with a wonderful genuine smile and welcome and whisked off to the Hotel, which is very close to the airport and were sat in the lobby with a refreshing towel and iced local tea, still wonder what it was! The staff greeted us by name and knew that we had stayed previously at Rasananda, not sure how they knew?

We checked into our pool villa with our children who wasted no time in getting wet while we unpacked and settled into some afternoon reading. We had dinner the first night in the Hotel and really enjoyed the Thai Buffet, the Manager San explained it was street food with all the wonderful flavours but in a 5 star environment, I could not have agreed with him more. Wine is a little bit expensive but we are aware of the high tax in Thailand so this was not a shock.

We had a great nights sleep, the bed was very comfortable and the children gave us a unexpected lie in until 7am!! The room was spacious, it is not contemporary in style but we learned that the design was a mixture of Chinese and Thai features. The open air bathroom is quite unique but does give a real sense of the tropics and after all it is a tropical island so does add to the charm of the experience. Mosquitoes we were aware about from previous comments but there are various props to help you with “Mosquito management” so this was not an issue. Anyone doing research on Thailand would know that Mosquitoes are present so why do they complain about them? They do come with the territory, must be city folk who get scared by wildlife!

Breakfast was a great display of intriguing options, a fresh juice/smoothie bar greets you on arrival with local cut fruits, staff offer a selection of coffee and tea in various styles and there was a Chef passing different bakery items around each day, a nice touch. Thai breakfast items were available to try along with the usual eggs and western fare which was all up to the mark and the Chef remembered my husband’s eggs order each day which made him feel very special. The service was friendly but not over bearing, Kate and Rat did a great job and Pla entertained the children so breakfast was almost peaceful for us!

The children enjoyed the beach and pool combination and certainly were able to burn plenty of energy so fell asleep on time for us to enjoy a few cocktails before the babysitter arrived. We didn’t venture far just to Tree Tops for a casual meal. We were blown away by firstly what a unique location the restaurant is up in the trees (the name does rather give it away my husband pointed out in his usual smug way). The food was first class and would rival any city centre fine dining establishment. Service was efficient and the “wine guru” (as they call them at Anantara) Aoy, made a great wine recommendation based on my husband’s challenging brief and the little gimmicks, salt tray and steak knife selection were a sophisticated touch, we could have stayed there all night looking out to sea with our after dinner drinks but for our early rising children!

We met the GM, Lars by chance while returning from breakfast along the walk way and he offered some good insights into activities to do with the children based on his experiences and it was great to get some local knowledge that we felt we could trust. We visited Paradise Park Farm and had a lovely family day out, thanks Lars!

Overall it was a short stay but we would definitely return and having experienced this resort first hand think you should perhaps read between the lines of the city folk who are scared of grass hopers!

We will be back

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank salsayer
Dear Salsayer,

certainly a very encouraging feedback you have posted here and I will be happy to share it with my team.

I still remember you and your children and I'm glad to hear that I've been able to help you out with a couple of recommendations about places my son enjoys too.

Should you need another escape from Bangkok and are homesick for Samui... you will be always welcome.

Kind regards

Lars Kerfin

PS: I won't tell you our secret about how we found out about your Rasananda stay, but the fact that the resort will be rebranded to Anantara as of next month might give you a hint...
London
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We were on our honeymoon, so booked the Sea View Pool Villa. We originally booked 5 nights for the price of 4, but upon checking out the room and hotel, we were very disappointed. The room had a lovely view and was very private, however it was very very poorly lit, and the bathroom was hot (only AC in the room). There was one mirror over the sink, but it was not full length. The 'inside' shower was very weak and you risked getting bitten by mosquitoes when you went in the bathroom. This is not what we were expecting or hoping for with a hotel which was over £300/night.

The same day, we did the cocktail making class in the hotel's bar. This was fun, but it was in full view of everyone around the pool/bar, and although the barman was friendly, the standard of cocktails were like something we would have accepted whilst backpacking, not in a so called '5 star' hotel. We would not recommend ordering any cocktails at the hotel if you have good taste.

We also did the Thai cooking course for two. This was good fun, and the chef was very friendly and made the experience well worth it. The dishes were delicious, but it was very hot and the hotel insisted on taking photos with their camera. It was only when we looked at the photos that we realised that their lens had a smudge on it, so all the photos looked blurry. I recommend you use your own high quality camera!

The breakfast the next day was terrible. You have to queue in the heat for your eggs, all the food was stale in the sun as people didn't shut the lids on things, and the tea was nasty. There were few fans scattered around so it was quite sticky. We were so disappointed about the experience so far, we decided we could not stay, as my wife was becoming quite upset.

Location wise, it is quite a distance from Chaweng, so it isn't worth walking. We tried to walk along the beach home one night, and couldn't get through because of the tide. The hotel recommends you take a taxi (TB200) each way - hmm, hardly convenient/cheap!

We went to reception to tell them that we wanted to check-out, and after chatting with the head receptionist, the manager came to our room to discuss things. He was easy to talk to (we think he was European), but after crying and telling them all our annoyances, they agreed we could check out on the 2nd day, but loose an extra night. That was fair given they seemed busy, but we still couldn't help being upset about paying over £700 for one night, in a hotel which we would consider to be 3 star. They did attempt to resolve all of our complaints, but we didn't agree that on our honeymoon, we should have to teach a hotel how to do it right.

The staff kindly gave us a lift to our new hotel (W Retreat - where you get the proper 5 star experience). We left the Anantara feeling upset about the whole experience/waste of time/money on our honeymoon. We recommend that if you are looking for a very high level of service, amenities and overall standard in Koh Samui, you need to go for a wealthy chain hotel - W or Hansar. Somehow, hotel's like the Anantara and Pavillion seem to be very busy - I have no idea why!

3 Thank Zoe_Rob
Dear Zoe_Rob,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

We are truly sorry to hear that our resort hasn’t met your expectations. Even though we have limited opportunities to make changes to the open air atmosphere of our resort because it’s part of the design and island experience, we have certainly shared your comments with our team in order to ensure that we make improvements in the service experience.

Your positive comments about our Executive Assistant Manager and his efforts to organize you an alternative accommodation at a highly discounted price is much appreciated. We are glad to learn that you have been able to enjoy the remaining days of your honeymoon on Koh Samui.

Lars Kerfin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,318 reviews
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!