“Not sure ...”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend and his mum & brother for 7 nights and the room types were Deluxe Pool Access rooms throughout our stays.

First of all, the rooms are lovely, we have no problem with the outdoor shower. However my room has a dirty dressing gown in the wardrobe, i am totally fine with this because I put on my boyfriend's dressing gown instead. After couple of nights, our room started to smell of sewage, VERY BAD! I checked the toilet, definitely not the toilet at all. I contacted the reception and told them about the smell of sweage. They send a member of staff to our room and spray the air freshener!!

BREAKFAST :
Service at the beakfast area is not very good at all. The staffs look stressed and unhappy.
Food: Lots of choices, it was delicious APART FROM the egg station and coffee!!!! Seriously since day one we were there until our last day (total stayed 8 days) we waited LONG ENUF for an egg, at least 20-30 minutes queue! Same for COFFEE as well, please make sure you ask for COFFEE before you go and get your food. During my stayed, i asked for our coffee before we get our food, we didnt get our coffees until AFTER we finished our food even tho we asked the waiter/waitress 3-4 times but they kept saying the same thing - its coming!!! Anyway, I am very disappointed with the breakfast during my 8 days stay at this property.

Location: Very good. You can walk or take a taxi to Chaweng town.

Overall, I'm not sure if i would recommend this hotel to my friends and family... It is not a cheap holiday and the service i received didnt reach my expectation.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear MissMicheleW,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your positive experience as well as your constructive criticism with us. It will help us to improve the areas in which we haven’t excelled in our usual way. Unfortunately we haven’t had the chance to meet each other during your stay in order for me to address those challenges immediately.

My sincere apology for the smell around your villa. We had in fact some challenges with the drainage system which has been fixed through an external contractor. Unfortunately this wasn’t clearly communicated to you what left you with the impression that all that was done is spraying the air freshener.

We have been surprised to read that our breakfast team made a sad impression on you as they are usually known as being very cheerful, resulting in many positive comments about them. We will investigate as well the delays of coffee and egg service which should have been fixed after this problem was mentioned previously. The fact that we are preparing all eggs a la minute as well as the coffee which is offered with many options like ice lattes, cappuccinos etc. might have caused some delays when many orders came in at the same time. This should have happened only occasionally so we will review why this was happening in your case on a daily basis. Please accept our apology for this disappointing breakfast experience.

Because beside those two aspects it sounds like you had a very enjoyable stay we would be very keen on welcoming you or your friends back to our resort and show the improvements we have done. Please feel free getting in touch with me directly and challenge us on this.

Lars Kerfin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,954)

Reviewed 9 June 2012

My wife and I had an amazing holiday at Lawana. The room was lovely, the resort in great condition and the infinity pool stunning. What stood out above everything was the amazing service at this resort. Nothing was too much trouble. When we arrived there had been a mix up from our travel agent and our room had been given away. The Lawana staff not only sorted out the mix up but had us in a new room in less than 20 mins. This set the tone for our week at Lawana with all staff from the senior managers to the garden staff making our stay so very relaxing. A particular mention must go to Pla who worked at the restaurants Ocean Kiss and Treetops who not only remembered our names but our coffee and drink preferences and greeted us with a friendly smile every day.

Finally we would say check out the Day Spa at the resort it was lovely and if you have time do a safari tour with Mr Ung's safaris and definitely make time for dinner at Tree Tops.

Overall a brilliant resort in a great location (only a 150-200 baht trip in cab to Chaweng) with the most amazing staff. Thoroughly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The plunge pool rooms are great - with a very peaceful outdoor space.

Dear Nathan W,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and compliments here on TripAdvisor. My team is dedicated to provide our guests with a very personal service experience and feedback like yours will motivate them to work even harder.

Thank you once again for staying with us and we are all looking forward seeing you back soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a fantastic 2 weeks at the Anantara Lawana and cannot recommend this beautiful hotel enough. From beginning to end our stay was fantastic, welcoming and relaxing. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and we got to know them so well we felt like we were on holiday with friends! The General Manager Lars, and assistant James, should be very proud of their staff and the attention to detail and personal service they all provide to ensure guests have the times of their lives.

Despite what some previous reviewers have said the standard of english spoken by the staff here is extremely good! They have to cope with so many language requirements for all nationalities of customers so I would give them 10 out of 10 for their efforts.We did try to learn a new Thai word ourselves every day as WE were the visitors to this beautiful country and so it is only right to make a little effort. Indeed our efforts were always well received complete with helpful correction where necessary! (Thai is not so easy actually!!)

As far as the staff are concerned, we would particularly like to thank Pla and Orn for their ever present smiles and happiness (even at 6.30 in the morning at breakfast!) and also send many thanks to Santi, Fiank, Hom and Mi for always making our 1pm "Chang time" so entertaining!!! Big thanks too to Amy and Pong in the Spa for the most amazing massages we have ever had. We both slept so well after and its well worth the money!

We opted to stay in the Shared Pool Villa (Room 202) having upgraded at the last minute from a Plunge Pool Villa. The upgrade was SO worth it.. Our room was amazing and very private even though we were sharing the attached pool with 5 other villas. Our villa was always sparkling clean, well stocked with Mosquito coils and essentials (toilet rolls/shampoo etc). Th emini bar is exceleently stocked and is not the most epensive we have expreienced in other hotels. Beware wine and Champagne costs though. Thailand has 400% VAT for these beverages so naturally htese are very highly priced. Would recommend Chang and Singha local beers which are cheap and lush and also the Poolside Cocktails. Peace and quiet always reigned here and so it was very difficult to leave our room to join other guests at the main pool by Ocean Kiss!
Room service at the Lawana is incredible too. The speed of delivery was amazing, the prices more than acceptable and the quality of food out of this world. We used this service several times and were never disappointed.
The general hotel location is fantastic and just outside of Cheweng enough to keep things peaceful but a 5 min tut-tut ride soon gets you straight to the busy side of town for a more lively night out. At around £1 for a trip for 2 people into town you can't go wrong! Amazing some tourists still haggle this price though!!
The beach directly by the Anantara is clean and OK and a short walk of some 15 mins will take you into Cheweng but its so hot it is quite hard going. Worth doing once though for the experience.
The hotel offers many socialble events during your stay and there is no pressure to attend if you; rather not. However we went to the Cocktail evening and the Thai night which we found excellent. Again the food and Thai style entertainment was fantastic! Thai people really do have a sense of gentle fun for all and really go the extra mile to ensure everyone has fun. These people are genuine and gentle and we fell in love with them all for it.

Finally we did experience Tree Top dining too. Its a lovely setting and very romantic although quite expensive. We enjoyed our meal with the usual top notch service but personally preferred the OceanKiss restaurant by the beach "food-wise". This is not a criticism just merely preference as we both adore Thai food as a priority and maybe we aren't quite refined enough to understand Fine Dining to this extent? :-)

The Ananatara Lawana is an amazing place to stay and we hope to return soon but next time with all our children. There is so much more I could write but if anyone would like any more info etc please do not hesitate to email me and I will help where I can.
The bad reviews on trip advisor for this hotel do not match the experiences we had. I would recommend that you arrive and trust in Lars and his team to make your stay fantasic and I KNOW you won't be disappointed. Congratulations and big thanks to Lars and his fantastic team - we miss you already!!!!

Room Tip: Definitely worth upgrading to a Shared Pool Villa if you can. We are glad we did for the extra space...
1  Thank BristolLouLouD

Dear BristolLouLouD,

Your detailed and very complimentary review is highly appreciated, not only by the team members you mentioned personally but by the entire team of Anantara Lawana Resort & Spa.

We are delighted to read that you had such a fantastic time and are very much looking forward welcoming you and your family back to another vacation on Koh Samui.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed in an ocean pool villa room 102. A bit tatty round the edges. No table and chair outside at all to sit. Lack of cupboard/drawer space. Holes in mosquito bed net. Strange seat in living area that came away from the wall and no other seat option to sit in. Baby cot provided with net, baby bath, highchair - all perfect for us. Breakfast buffet very good. Housekeeping very good. Restaurants ok. Great local restaurant - Spirit House.

Room Tip: Room 102 great view and lots of sun.
1  Thank TheSarahsHK
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear TheSarahsHK,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Sea View Pool Villas beside the limited choices of seating space. We appreciate that you have taken the time sharing your comments on TripAdvisor and would be looking forward welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Just recently came back from a fantastic holiday, I was initially worried about time of year and weather but the weather was perfect (Usually hot and sunny in morning, maybe overcast in afternoon and odd spell of rain in late afternoon, however even when cloudy don't under estimate the UV index, you will still get a tan !!!). As for the hotel and staff, absolutely perfect, no complaints at all. Food was great, accommodation was great, the pool staff very attentive.

The Spa was amazing !!!

I have been to thailand many times and each time, the people, there warmth and just the overall experience overwhelms me.

This was my girlfriends first trip to Thailand and she loved it, if there is any real top tips I can give then learn a small amount of the Thai Language this always goes down well and you will usually find Thai's will practice there english so a perfect opportunity to practice your thai.

I can and will openly highly recommend this resort, remember when in Thailand, chill, relax and just go with the flow and you will soon embrace it.

You have many options depending on your budget and you are never far from bars, restaurants, supermarkets etc depending on what you want to spend.

Tree Tops was worth every penny ! definitely not cheap but the food was fantastic, the service personal and friendly and at no stage were we rushed.

In short I have a very strong feeling this will not be my last visit to this resort.

Room Tip: Deluxe Lawana rooms are more than adequate, use your mosquito net at night, ask the hotel to empty t...

Dear EOD-Jim,

Thank you for your review and positive comments which are highly appreciated by all of us.

It is certainly nice to see that you and your girlfriend made the effort learning a couple of Thai phrases which I can confirm is going a long way in Thailand. Thank you for that as well on behalf of my team.

We are all looking forward welcoming you back with a warm and heartfelt Sawasdee krab!

Reviewed 22 May 2012

I really REALLY wanted to make this review shorter, but I think much of this needs to be shared.

I initially looked @ this place w/ a critical eye, i.e. w/ a 5 star luxury standard. In short, it missed the mark.

BUT, if I start out w/ a blank slate, I came up w/ the following:

Exterior:
- We had reserved the king pool villa with ocean view. The view was obstructed w/ overgrown hedges & covered a good 1/3 of the view. I would’ve let this one go if I wasn’t paying an extra 100USD/night for an ocean view!!!
- The wood flooring on the deck & of the entire resort, in fact definitely needs some love, i.e. restaining: the wood’s quite worn & is borderline splinter-risk.
- Private infinti pool. Clean, HUGE for 2, w/ the heat, a virtual necessity, Lots of time was spent here, made it often hard to leave the room!
- Loved the outdoor lanterns & patio area. Concluded our first night w/ some beers & great Thai food outside

Interior:
- Not necessarily a blow to the Anantara, more of a personal preference. The interior just didn’t flow & was decoratively confusing. The room ranged from the “Cape Cod” seashells in the sand, to some simple Chinese sketches, & some color copies of Old Siam (finally, some Thai style). W/out anything on the walls, the suite can look quite dank & plain. Being Thailand, you can have so much fun with these rooms: fresh exotic flowers, vibrant fabrics, Buddhist embellishments, more!
- Of note, for those who prefer it, there is no bathtub provided. We had an indoor & outdoor shower.
- Though the wood flooring was worn on the interior too, the room was clean. Yay!
- There were 4 water bottles & fresh rambutan set out that was later replaced daily. Both very refreshing when cold.
- There was no remote for the TV, but the DVD player only. My partner ended up downloading an app & we used his cell phone for a remote during our stay!
- The mosquito net had 3 large holes in it, one of them large enough to fit a football. Given the time of night, we just DYI’d this one too & mended it w/ the sewing kit complements of the Anantara (sarcasm.)
- Bedtime. We climbed under the sheets to reveal a large blood stain on the underside of the comforter (~ 5cm diameter). Yuck!!

In concurrence with prior reviews, areas of service need improvement. People from all over the world come to visit here. Local employment beautifies the place, aids their economy, & promotes culture. Yet, English is one of the more, if not the most common language spoken among visitors. I wouldn’t say that they need to clean out their staff, but they really do need more fluent English speakers for direct customer contact. Phone service was particularly frustrating. There appears to be one person in the AM who both operates the lines & works the front desk: likely overwhelmed.
- We called to request to have the hedges trimmed (I still want my ocean view!) & our blood comforter changed. We got responses like, “Right now?” & “I don’t understand.” His English was limited, so we patiently rephrased a few times. He (Sunny) increasingly grew inpatient with us, & the phone call concluded with another “I don’t understand.” This really could’ve been remedied better if we could’ve been later referred to someone who could better interpret our request instead.
- We asked about a Thai kickboxing class, the trainer’s schedule wasn’t available @ the time. Instead, we were discouraged to take a lesson, but instead go into town & watch.
……did see an English speaking liaison once our first evening there. We figured that things would run much more smoothly if more were available to aid with different languages…..

We would have to continue to be more proactive if we were to enjoy our stay. I virtually threw myself in front of a manager that morning. James was very sensitive to our concerns & had our comforter changed right away. & when we left the dining area, there was someone already trimming the hedge on our deck.
-After that, the view was spectacular. We really did have one of the best views @ the resort!

& thankfully things got much better after that…

-Breakfast: Despite some prior reviews, I LOVED breakfast. To avoid crowd, we ate between 8-8:30. An excellent variety (dimsum, Western Breakfast, juice/smoothie bar, more), different hot food every AM. My favorites were the noodle soup made to order (heat wasn’t a factor, I had a bowl everyday) & the tea! They have a huge variety of infused teas that can be ordered iced or hot. I must have been a nuisance as I went through 3-4 iced teas/AM. Also, we must’ve appeared pretty hot during mealtime. Fresh cold towels were brought to our table w/out us even asking.
-Location: liked it!! A convenience store was right across the way & local food down the street. GREAT to have when we felt like going on the cheap. Furthermore, liked how the place was w/in reach of Chaweng Beach, but not in the heart of, i.e. the party was there when you needed it.
-Spa: Pricewise, they were about going US prices: not dirt cheap, but not overly expensive. The green tea scrub & wrap smelled great & worked wonders for my skin. The beautician (“Tick”) was kind, very gentle applying the scrub, and made me feel comfortable.
-Room service: similar to the spa, about going US prices. Our order was expedited well, w/in 45 minutes as promised. The food was good, portions were fair. & I will never forget eating & drinking that delicious poolside lunch overlooking the water!
-Thai kickboxing: Once we did get a booking, Uli (did I spell that right?) was great, my partner had a fantastic time. Cost ~ 60 USD/for an hour session.
-Yoga class: Free, held along the beach, early, @ 7, as it gets very hot as the day passes. The style is a very modified hatha style, some vinyasa flow

So finally, a conclusion. We paid roughly 490USD/night (w/out tax) for our villa & I would say that it was just about worthwhile. We had some great experiences & will hold these in memory forever.
When weighing the positives & negatives, I do have mixed feelings re: a return. I think I would return if quoted the same price. Believe me, we’re pretty independent travelers & don’t ask for much. But anything more may not be worth it for us (@ least for the Oceanside villa).

Room Tip: Get a room w/ immediate pool access. There's no better feeling than going for a dunk after a lo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear EileenKM,

We appreciate your detailed and helpful feedback very much and thank you for the time you have taken to share this on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay and that we have been able to recover from the obvious challenges we created.

Please accept my sincere apology for the overseen linen stains, something which should have certainly not happened and a reminder to us all to pay better attention to this.

Even though there are certainly some staff members which we are working closely together with in order to improve their English I was surprised to hear that there were communication challenges with K. Sunny as he is usually highly praised not only for his service mind but as well for his English language skills. Previous reviews will confirm this, but we will investigate what happened in your particular case. I am apologizing for this.

At the same time I am glad to hear that James was able to help you with quick and efficient fixes to your requests.

As communicated in our direct email with each other, I would be more than happy welcoming you back and show you the improvements we are making.

With kind regards

Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed in an Anantara Pool Villa for 6 nights in May 2011.

Apart from having to escape the Anantara “time share” men at Koh Samui airport, there was nothing we didn’t like during our stay in our lovely pool villa.

The staff were great, the location was good, the buildings and gardens of the hotel were beautiful and beautifully maintained and our pool villa was like a little slice of heaven! Our villa was totally private with a wall around the villa and our plunge pool. The deck had pool loungers and a separate cabana area included a day bed with overhead fan. Inside the villa you first enter a sitting room with lounge, coffee table, tv and fridge. Then behind carved wooden doors is the bedroom with a beautiful large bed. Both of these rooms look out over the pool and are air-conditioned. Through another door is the bathroom complete with indoor and outdoor shower and access to the pool. The bathroom area wasn’t air-conditioned which made drying your hair or using the mirror to put on makeup a bit of a humid exercise (best to do these in the air-conditioned bedroom). Additionally even though there was a lock on the door from the bathroom to the pool area, on either side were windows (next to the toilet and the shower) and these were only covered by a screen which made the whole lock on the door thing seem a little redundant. The wardrobe (with safe) and space for suitcases were in the bathroom area. Though we weren’t concerned, it’s something to keep in mind if you’re in the habit of stashing anything of value in your suitcase. You can lock the door to the bathroom from the bedroom side.

During check-in we mentioned it was our 20th wedding anniversary the next day and the lovely lady on reception promised a surprise would be delivered to our villa. We went out in the morning and when we came back there was a special chocolate cake with happy anniversary written on it and a bottle of champagne on our coffee table, plus two towel swans surrounded by a heart made of rose petals on our bed. Awwww, so cute and sweet. We had many towel animals left for us during the rest of our stay, including bunnies and an elephant. Every night a leaf would be left on our bed with tomorrow’s weather forecast written on it in silver pen. It’s all the little touches that make a place stand out from the rest.

For our anniversary we dined at the resort’s Sky Hug restaurant – private deck areas nestled in individual cabanas in the trees. Both the atmosphere and food were excellent. We really enjoyed our dinner here.
We were so happy with the service we received from all staff – from reception and tours, to the ladies serving at the breakfast buffet and even the groundstaff. All demonstrated that famed Thai hospitality and would smile and say hello as we walked by.
It’s a bit of a splurge to stay in the pool villas but I would definitely like to stay here again one day.

There are many things to do around Koh Samui. One of our favourites was the walking street markets in the Fishermens Village on Friday evenings. The streets are closed to cars (hence the walking street moniker) and vendors set up stalls selling locally made items of better variety and nature than what you find in Chawenge. Plenty of stalls selling “interesting” looking food plus lots of cocktail vendors. 50baht for a Mojito went down very nicely (about A$1.50). Very relaxed atmosphere here. The vendors don’t hassle you at all. Plenty of restaurants to pick from for dinner too.

Room Tip: Splurge on a private pool villa, It's worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SherrySparkle
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Dear SherrySparkle,

Thank you very much for this very positive review and for taking the time sharing this here.

Making the stay for our guests special is certainly one of our main goals and we are glad to hear that we have succeeded making your Wedding anniversary and the other days special for you and provided you with a nice memory.

We hope being able to welcome you back to Samui and that it doesn’t take another 20 years and an anniversary.

Lars Kerfin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Buri Rasa Village Samui
#2 of 104 in Chaweng
2 mi away
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!