“1st day at the Anantara Lawana” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
“1st day at the Anantara Lawana”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Usually I don't write reviews but am I in a great mood: it's my first day at the Anantara Lawana and have been impressed already. The hotel, pool bar, restaurant (had breakfast at the Ocean Kiss), room and private beach are fantastic. We arrived yesterday, after a truly nightmare journey from the UK. We were greeted by warm and friendly staff, received a refreshing welcome drink and we were checked in immediately. Also we received an explanation of the hotel and its restaurants, free dinner and room. The room is nice, however my plan was to upgrade from a deluxe to a pool access room. However I was shocked by the extra money I was asked to pay: in British pounds it would've been over 800 pounds! This was too much, to have access to a shared pool only, to my liking but this is my personal view. A shame as my travel agent quoted a third of the price only and I should had booked with them. However as I was paying quite a lot back then already (staying here for 10 nights and this place is not cheap) I decided not too, which I regret slightly. Any way, my room 504 is nice, airconditioned, clean. Breakfast was great. Amazing views. But again, I'm very impressed with the staff already as all of them are very warm and friendly. Tonight we're having dinner on the beach with a fire show and something else which I can't remember. But will make sure I will write a review after my 9 more nights here. If you are in two minds about booking this place: go for it as it's great however I do appreciate it has been for me only 1 night and day - but 9 more to go thankfully! :-)

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BTN2002
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear BTN2002,

It was great meeting you today and as I mentioned to you, we certainly appreciate the challenge and the pressure you put on us to keep delivering the same great experience for the remaining 8 days. Receiving feedback like this, especially from a Travel Professional like you are, is very motivating for us.

My apology again that the extra charge for the Deluxe Pool Access rooms has been higher than expected. As long as we have plenty of rooms in the category available we are able to offer a limited number of rooms at a discounted surcharge upon check in. Once the availability gets limited the prices are increasing. Therefore we strongly recommend booking those room types in advance in order to avoid disappointment.

I’m looking forward having you staying with us for the coming week and wish you already a Happy New Year.

Lars Kerfin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

The resort is very close to airport, chaweng shopping and dining strip.
You can either take a taxi (200 baht) or shared taxi to chaweng. The service staff at ocean kiss restaurant in the resort are very hospitable and promptly attend to your needs. I would specifically like to mention about the staff named "Aim" at the restaurant who was very friendly and attended to our needs promptly. The buggy service within resort is very practical due to the size and uphill/downhill layout of the resort. Found it very helpful with our 8 months old daughter.The porters cum buggy drivers were excellent too. Check-in process was also a breeze. The housekeeping staff were very proficient in their work and left a very beautiful greeting on a leaf everyday.Rooms were neat.The private beach was clean and view of the ocean from the F&B area was breath taking. There is a 24 hour convenience store just across the road which is a huge plus.

Few suggestions for the management to improve on :
* Make the billing process during checkout more accurate as we had a dispute over the extra charge for breakfast. It was already covered in our room booking but the staff did not have the information in the system. Anyways, it was sorted out without much hassle.
* Look at making the private plunge pool area more appropriately covered/concealed from units on the upper floors.
* Look at enriching the toiletries with couple of basic essential items such as a simple tooth brush and a small tooth paste tube just in case the guests are not carrying them. As mentioned above there is a convenience store nearby, but this may save some hassle, especially when its raining.

Tips:
- The resort arranges candle light buffet dinner on the beach every Monday and Thursday. I would definitely recommend it. Try to book the tables few hours in advance.

- Hire a car for self drive around the island. It's cheap and driving is easy and safe unlike central Bangkok.

- chaweng is the best place for shopping in Samui if you are looking for trendy and quality buys. Be sure to bargain.

- Try green curry chicken at the Khaosan restaurant and bakery in main chaweng shopping/dining strip.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear rsky1124,

Thank you for this detailed review and compliments for my team. We will certainly share it with them.

My apology if the check out caused some inconveniences. We have looked into it and apparently the communication from the agent wasn’t clear in the beginning. But I’m glad to hear that it was handled quick and efficient by my team.

We will review the Plunge Pool privacy of your room and will ensure that it will meet maximum possible privacy. Usually this is well covered but we might have overseen a loop hole.

The toiletries you requested are actually available complimentary at any time. A quick call at the Front Desk and it will be delivered to your room… no matter what the weather conditions are.

Once again, thank you for the feedback and we are looking forward welcoming you back.

Nelson, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

We just returned home from a six night stay, and a wonderful time. The secret ingredient at the Anantara is the staff. Everyone we were in contact with was exceptional. We had a room with a plunge pool which was a real treat. We wanted to relax, and found the perfect spot. The restaurant, Ocean Kiss, had a sensational breakfast buffet and a gorgeous setting overlooking the pool and beach. We both had spa treatments during our stay, and while a massage could be had a lot cheaper outside the resort, the service, the atmosphere, the general feeling of being pampered was totally worth it!

Room Tip: The plunge pool rooms are worth it! A real treat and very private.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear 356Jane,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your feedback. The Spa is certainly an experience and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed it that much.

The team and I are looking forward welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Dhigu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed the second time at Anantara Lawana, and again it’s been fantastic. Our nanny looked after our little baby and plunged with her in the pool while we enjoyed “Matt’s Wild Kitchen” at Tree Tops (one of the resorts restaurants) for our anniversary. An outstanding experience and I can only recommend it.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the Pool Villas and try Tree Tops
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear PAB77,

It was a great pleasure welcoming you back again and providing you with a memorable Anniversary stay.

Kind regards

Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Firstly, I look at this one in the context of it being a 5-star resort with a matching pricetag. I was greeted by checkin staff as my car arrived and was taken straight to my room to checkin from there.. a nice touch. And this was at 930-ish in the morning, so very grateful to have the room already useable. Staff very efficient and with an excellent level of English comprehension.

Location is great in that it is about 7mins drive from the airport! You can jump off the plane and almost fall into the resort. It is at the upper end of Chaweng Road, so not right in the action, so depends on what you want.

The room itself is very nice, well appointed and also had a nice balcony area. Bathroom was big with a separate stone bathtub.... and a nice rain shower. If I am to be picky I would suggest to management that the bathroom could do with a better lick of paint - its peeling off in areas and on closer inspection, the job is not very good. Though this will not dampen your holiday I am sure.

There is a basic gym available, with good new equipment... suitable for a small workout.

One thing I cannot understand is paying for wifi in this day and age. Its free outside of the room, but a separate connection inside is paid?? Though, I must admit, ask and ye shall receive as the staff provided me free access in either case. I am always connected even on 'vacation' so its important to me, but may not be to others. The connection by poolside didnt seem to work though.

Breakfast is served at the restaurant by the beach, which of course sports a nice view. The quality is very good and the range of options likewise. Staff are very attendant, friendly and professional - as you would expect at a place like this.

Restaurant food quality and presentation was of a very high standard. Wasn't particularly impressed with the pina coladas though - (note to management: they need a blender behind the bar).

The pool and beach area is small (the beachfront itself is seems a little crowded), but it is kept clean and tidy by the staff.

There is also a treetop dining experience if you want a private dinner - I didnt try this, but it looked pretty cool. Sunsets on the other side of the island, but if you're up early, you can get the sunrise!

Outside - you have a couple of mini-marts right over the road, a pharmacy and a couple of restaurants. It is about a 15min walk into the 'heart' of Chaweng Road with all the bars, stores and what not.

Overall, it was an excellent experience and I would recommend this resort to friends.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 27mangoes
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear 27mangoes,

We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will recommend us to your friends. Some very good and helpful comments in your review that will help us to become even better.

All rooms are painted on a regular basis following a maintenance schedule and if special needs arise. My apology if yours seemed to require some urgent attention, but knowing that you have stayed during our lowest season of the year where we do the majority of our maintenance work in the resort I am confident that your room will have been addressed shortly.

It is certainly a frequent comment in regards of the internet charges, which are actually only in place at our 2 lowest room categories. The perception of “free internet” is unfortunately misleading as the costs will always be calculated into your room rate, similar to “free breakfast”. Nevertheless, we do offer 1hr per day free access in the room and will only charge usage above that. This ensures that we are able to offer a proper bandwith of 20MB for our guests, which not many resorts actually have on Samui.

I will be happy to review our Pinacolada’s personally for you as we do have a blender behind the bar and actually a quite expensive one. Some cocktails are being shaken in order to provide our guests with a better “show”. Nevertheless, we appreciate your comment and will review it.

As you have stayed during the rainy and windy season the water comes up to the resort quite a bit. During the majority of the year our beach is significantly wider compared to the past 2-3 weeks. It will increase from a current 12-15m to about 20-25m.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we are looking forward welcoming you and your friends to our resort.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I had the great fortune of staying in this resort for a few days whilst on business. I was upgraded to a room with a plunge pool ( recommended highly) though never got to use it!
breakfast over looking the beach, bbq on the beach my first night. Food was sensational, eternity pool over looking the beach was gorgeous. Bar was simple but nice. Met most of the management team there during my stay, and they were all great people. Reception incredibly helpful, and as always in Thailand every single person was friendly and polite.
I wish I could visit more often!

Room Tip: PLUNGE POOL!!! no view, but brilliant!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear DavidReilly78,

Thank you for the fabulous feedback. Glad to hear that we could put a relaxing spin to your business trip.

Hope seeing you back soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed at the Anantara Lawana for 5 nights in a Pool Access room. Whilst checking in they tried to put us in a plunge pool room which was a bit of a nuisance because I know what I booked and she kept asking me for my booking reference. When she found our booking she tried to offer us then a private pool villa were she was able to offer it for 300bhat less a night? Was it a joke I don't know but a 300bhat does sound like a joke to me, especially at that time as it was cloudy and raining. Well we informed her that we would like to stick to our choice, that of the pool access room. The pool access rooms are lovely, pool shared with another 5 to 6 rooms but it's big enough, the outdoor area next to the pool is also pretty. I would recommend this room type. When we were showed to our room then she had another strange request that of taking a picture of us which was never explained to us as per what or why this was being done. The resort is lovely with a lot of villas and Rooms, village style bit of a walk down to the beach were the restaurant is situated. The breakfast is a bit disorganized to be honest, busy most of the time so I understand that things need to take time to be replenished, but certain dishes remained empty all throughout. Very extensive breakfast with egg station, waffle pancake station, juice station, Asian dishes station, cold cut room which is air conditioned etc etc. the idea of the bfast is great but it needs a bit more effort for this kind of 5star resort. I don't think u should finish your breakfast and still be waiting on coffee which happened a couple of times. We had lunch at the same place which was good, cocktails at the pool bar, the infinity pool is nice and so is the beach. We never tried the tree tops restaurant as their menu is limited and my fiancé didn't like anything off their menu. We did dine at the ocean kiss in the evening food is fine, the restaurant is kept too dark and cockroaches roam around tables. The hotel is a convenient distance from Chaweng town and it's easily accessible by taxi or scooter. There's some massage place just outside the hotel and minimarts. We did enjoy our stay at the Anantara can't deny that but maybe you would expect that little extra especially if you travel a lot and know better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travel A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,280 reviews
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!