“Excellent”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #12 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed there for couple of days in January 2014 and it was great stay there. We took Pool access room and it was worth. Breakfast was great. Having Tea at Ocean Kiss restaurant with amazing view was great. Location of the resort was nice and walk-able to the nearby market.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Yogi-kh,

Thank you for staying with us and your positive feedback. My team and I are looking forward welcoming you back hopefully soon.

With kind regards

Lars Kerfin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,980)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Whilst we did enjoy our stay at the hotel and we agree with all the many positives that have been posted, there were a few areas which were disappointing for a hotel of this ranking and price point. Some of these areas have been mentioned by other reviewers. They could be summarised as: wi-fi; air con; water pressure; design finishes; restaurant service.

First off, when we were shown to our room, we were told the wi-fi is available 24hrs and that the password is a numerical code. When logging in, the page actually prompted for a surname as the password. Confused, we tried both, but neither worked. Upon contacting the reception, they re-set the account with a different username. Then we found that the wi-fi is only free of charge for 30 minutes per day, which we considered pretty meagre. This limitation wasn’t mentioned when we were shown to our room. Having just stayed in a cheaper hotel in Bophut with flawless wi-fi connection and unlimited useage for free, we were expecting a similar service at Anantara. I would suggest the wi-fi be upgraded to unlimited free access to keep up with other hotels.

The air conditioning was either faulty or not well designed. The weather was very hot and we craved the comfort of a well-cooled room after we checked in around 5pm. After an hour in our room, however, the temperature had only dropped 2 degrees to about 28C while on cool/auto setting and 18C as the target. Clearly there was something wrong, so we contacted reception who sent an engineer round to re-gas the system straight away. This helped significantly, but didn’t seem to solve it completely, and it made me wonder if the system is maintained proactively rather than reactively. Our previous hotel room in Bophut (of similar size) had an older-style split unit which was ferocious in its cooling and would reach the target temp within minutes, however our room in Anantara took until 6am the next morning even after the engineer's service. Our sleep suffered since the temperature was gradually dropping through the night rather than staying at a set temperature. I couldn’t find a remote control for the AC and the control panel is mounted on the wall away from the bed which required groggily getting out of bed to change the settings. I also agree with a previous reviewer who mentioned the noise of the system, it felt like the fans were compensating for the reduced cooling effects. These problems with the AC affected our perception of the comfort level of the hotel and it seems the system should be checked. It’s such a basic requirement for a quality hotel in this hot country. Also, the hot exhaust air from the external AC units blows directly on to the footpath between the villas, which is not a well considered design feature and not particularly comfortable for those walking in the already-hot environment. Perhaps the exhaust could be deflected away from the footpath using a picket fence or more robust planting, or the units re-located somewhere less obtrusive.

The water pressure was a little low but not a major problem. We had difficulty flushing the toilet on the first day and as pointed out by another reviewer, the hot water took some time to become hot in the shower. Not something that warranted a “complaint”, but the hotel may want to investigate upgrading the system. These sort of problems should not need to be reported by customers, they should be checked as part of the ongoing maintenance in order to provide a quality product.

As people who work in the construction industry, we notice small details in finishes. It felt like the construction or latest refurbishment had been rushed and not properly snagged, especially the paintwork such as the painted “grain” effect which was unconvincing, and paint on the shower taps which gave a poor impression of the quality of the hotel. Other reviewers have commented on this also. As an aside, we were a bit confused by the architectural theme of the resort, with the gabled roof style of the villas which looked European rather than Thai.

And the last point which is surely standard practice is all hotels everywhere – when shown to an available table at breakfast, it would have been nice to have been asked for our tea/coffee order as we sat down, rather than halfway through the meal. On day 2 we had to call a waitress over to order the hot drinks. We appreciated that the hot beverages are freshly brewed, which takes time, all the more reason to ask for our order as we are seated, so that we receive the drinks earlier. Others have mentioned that the service is inconsistent, and I'd agree. While on the subject, I would agree that the breakfast is exceptional and very delicious! Thanks to the hotel for the fabulous spread.

So overall, a very good hotel, which I have marked down for the fact that some basics missed the mark which many more affordable hotels manage to get right without a hitch.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AsiaTravelDude

Dear AsiaTravelDude,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. I actually enjoyed reading your feedback very much as you are having some very valid points in which we have missed some marks. Even though I think your overall rating is a bit harsh, but as it is clear that you are coming from a construction background I understand that a couple of points must have been more annoying to you than it might be to others.

We are in the progress of upgrading our internet system and software and once completed we will actually turn the entire system free of charge.

My apology that we haven’t been able to fix the aircondition in a way that it reached the temperature level you would have expected. Temperature checks are indeed part of our regular checks and we will intensify them.

Our usual practice is actually to take the coffee/tea order from our guests once escorted to the tables. Therefore I was surprised about your comment and will investigate this with my team. Please accept our apology for this.

I would be delighted having the opportunity welcoming you back and showing you our improvements, including the complimentary internet access. Please send me an email directly under LKerfin@anantara.com.

With kind regards

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a week in December 2013 and loved it.

We stayed in a pool access room and would highly recommend paying the extra for it. It was great being able to sit in the sala, swim and have a couple of drinks after a day on the beach.

Before going further, yes, the resort is in need of a little maintenance but we looked at other so called 5Star resorts on the island and all of them needed maintenance. Yes the bar prices are sky high but that is to be expected in any resort.

That being said we loved our stay there. The room and pool were always clean, check-in was super quick and the breakfast was great. It's the little touches that make your stay here so good, such as fruit ice on the beach just as it's getting hot, awesome smoothies at breakfast (not to mention the great coffee and tea selection they had) as well as the hand written leaves on your bed each night giving you the next days weather report.

Location wise the hotel is at the end of Chaweng so no noise from all the beach bars. It's a short walk into to town if you want all the hustle and bustle / restaurants and bars.

The staff were always extremely friendly and more than willing to help.

The pool is great with more than enough sun loungers. Unfortunately the beach isn't really a swimming beach but you can always walk to Chaweng beach for a swim.

We hope to stay there again in December 2014!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JacquesL246
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear JacquesL246,

Thank you for taking the time sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

I would be delighted welcoming you back in December and will wait for an email from you to help you with your booking personally.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My family and I stayed for the first time at an Anantara resort over the Easter holidays.

Apart from the long wait during check-in and wrong class of room confirmed by the reservation team (which was duly made up to us by way of a complimentary dinner for my family of three) and the not so family-friendly beach, the service from all the staff, from Tumm at Front Office and her team to Tae at Ocean Kiss restaurant, is first class.

Especially the level of attention provided by Tumm, the small gifts she gave to my daughter that made her feel special and the efforts from the staff in trying their best to meet every requests of ours, are most impressive. As a result, we extended our stay at the resort, albeit only for a day more due to work commitments.

We were also personally greeted and thanked by the resort's GM, Lars Kerfin, for our compliments and support which was very nice and personable. Upon hearing our comments regarding the beach situation, he also explained the actions that he is taking to address the issue, to further improve the guests’ experience when staying at the resort.

The condition of the hotel, while not completely new, is maintained quite well. Guests looking to stay at the resort should understand that Koh Samui is situated in a tropical location thus will have the usual bugs and mosquitoes, which the hotel will try to control through using sprays and repellents, etc.

Overall our stay at the resort has been a most pleasant experience, and we look forward to staying at other chains of Anantara resorts for our family vacations in the near future.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Shirley_L_SG

Dear Shirley L,

Great hearing again from you… Thank you for taking the time sharing your detailed feedback here on TripAdvisor.

We hope we won’t be the last Anantara you have visited and looking forward welcoming you and your family back.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I arrived here after an amazing stay at the wonderful Rasanada, so it was a bit of a shock to arrive and be dumped on the side of the road, yes I had an Anantara driver, was left to haul my luggage up the small hill and be criticised by two of the guys working there for having too much luggage! Good start. Then was told "go there" to check in and walked to an ok check-in desk, told to sit, as room not ready (it was 2.30pm) and that I'd have to wait. Hot, sweaty and very thirsty - even a no-star hotel would offer something. I asked could I have a cold towel but told it was not possible as none left, nor any cold drinks. Then a very very very surly girl marched over to me to inform me that I had arrived at check-in time so I must realise that they run out of the drinks/cold towels.... okkkkkay! But hotel to their credit, sent me to the restaurant for lunch and I ordered a burger which was uncooked – I tried to eat it but staff noticed and whisked it away and wouldn’t let me pay for lunch. I think I just was very unlucky and perhaps arrived with a sad attitude as I regretted I hadn’t booked more time at the Rasanada.
I know most other guests loved the Lawana. It was just a very different arrival to the one I had in Bophut, where they ring a gong, escort you to the front desk, have cold water in the car and towels and then again when you arrive. At Rasanada the whole front desk arrive to welcome you, lovely cold drinks, all your bags taken care of ... even your shoes are taken care of coz you will be barefoot when you arrive... my arrival at both these hotels made me feel a special holiday was about to begin... whereas Lawana it was just another day at the office for them.

Anyway, I was upgraded to a lovely room - a shared pool villa and if I visit again I would definitely book this. The pool is huge, room small but what do you need your room for but to sleep! There is very little room to store anything but I found that 90% of what i brought with me remained unworn so I'd advise you need really nothing but beach clothes and maybe one or two evening outfits in case you visit Tree-Tops. I bought a lilo so I could drift all around the pool, with a Family-Mart across the road selling cheap beer etc... I was able to have drinks floating around the pool in total peace and quiet. Lovely!

Breakfast is indeed, without need to hash on about it, is amazing. Everything you want and a wonderful team running it, views amazing and plenty of space to stretch out in different sections of seating. Very very nice. I don't think there is anything you can't have at breakfast, including pizza, panini, fried rice etc! A M A Z I N G.

This hotel would fit right in with the Marbella/Ibiza type crowds and i think that is why it ranks so highly as people who stay here are the cool crowds who like the pool, aren't bothered by the beach (good thing as beach is a non starter but a great view) - and the whole area is well attended with a too cool for school team getting you anything you need. The have lots of big day beds, either right next to the pool, like you can jump right in from your bed, to beds a bit more secluded etc. I only went once as I just don't think i was cool enough! I was so lucky to have the pool villa and my pool was very big, could do proper lengths, and rarely saw the guests in the other 3 villas.

Bathroom in my room was half outside, but you quickly get used to it and makes you enjoy the room even more as you feel like it's your little oasis away from the heat.

I tried dining in the hotel a few times but each time seemed I was jinxed with wrong thing arriving etc etc, like chicken satay arrived with a ketchup like sauce, the girl tried to tell me this is how it was in Thailand … but I knew better after having done course at Anantara, but they took the sauce away and left me to wait 20mins for the peanut sauce… so chicken cold but by this point I had a feeling it was more me rather than the hotel – I was getting a bad experience no matter what I did – so I didn’t try to eat in the hotel again except for breakfast! I could see it wasn’t really happening to other people, I just had bad luck.

I leave the spa for last.... I don't even have words to describe how wonderful Khun Annie and her team are. I left in tears as they made my stay simply magical. My last night, I walked in and the entire team were sitting in the front desk and sang me a song and presented me with the most incredibly lovely gift that I was totally overwhelmed... I lost words to say as I don't know when I have met a more wonderful team as these girls. I cannot wait to see them again and hope I can keep in touch. Every treatment I had was incredible, and Annie put together a package for me that had me so replenished when I left that I felt a million dollars. On the day I left, I had to leave the hotel early and I heard the sound of click clickety click running down the path, turned to see Khun Annie who arrived to work earlier than normal so that she could say goodbye to me. Where on earth could you ever meet such a wonderful person? She is a twin of Natalie Wood! Any treatment you have, I promise you will love it. I fell asleep and embarrassed myself snoring but the team were so happy as it made them feel they'd done a great job... see? These people have hearts as big as the universe.

I think this hotel is perfect for the hip, pretty young things that love Marbella etc, and I also think if you are travelling as a family you'd like the ocean front pool villas, the staff love kids and take care of them really well. It is hard to explain what it is I didn’t like, but I think each department maybe isn’t communicating with the other, teams seem happy amongst themselves but it’s almost like separate hotels in each area. For example, at the Rasanada the staff cared about your trip, would ask you about your day, talked to you about what you were doing etc etc… but here it’s more of a city type hotel, like when I saw the GM at 7am one day at breakfast, he looked right through me, didn’t say a word. I don’t get that. But it’s not important, just very unlike other hotels I have stayed in. I think perhaps as a solo traveller, it wasn't the right place for me. I liked it but I wasn’t sad to leave except for the spa team… whom I still think of every day.
Oh the girls who took care of my room.... a m a z i n g! Every day a little treat awaiting me, always making sure you are happy. The team at the hotel made my trip a very happy one, the room was beautiful and the pool absolute luxury but something was amiss for me.

I did a day trip to the national park, with snorkel, canoeing, elephant trekking etc... you will be so delighted if you do this trip, the amazing girl at reception spent a lot of time talking w/me to see what interested me and then suggested this trip, she also gave me tips on where i could find a beautiful beach on the island... basically everything she told me was perfect. She made my trip so happy. Khun Sawa (i think that was his name) and Khun Anja on the front desk - both outstanding... outstanding. They shld run the hotel with Khun Annie

Room Tip: I forgot to mention, a lot of reviews mention the standard of rooms being shabby or in need of repai...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear tani267,

Thank you very much for such detailed review. As much as I appreciate your compliments about your experiences in many areas and with some specific team members as much do I appreciate your constructive feedback where we can improve.

First and foremost my apology that I haven’t engaged you in a conversation during breakfast at 7am in the morning, but can assure you that I would have loved hearing your feedback about your arrival experience and other aspects of your stay in person. Maybe we would have had another chance meeting around the pool during the day. I would say that even though our guests are certainly great it is not only the young and hips that are enjoying the pool during the day but actually a very nice and interesting crowd of people from all aspects of life and background.

As mentioned, my apology for some shortfalls during your stay and I would appreciate if you could let me know personally should you plan another trip to Samui and I would take personally care that your arrival experience is in line with our standards. I will also enjoy having a cup of coffee and a chat with you during breakfast.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This was my second time staying at Anantara Lawana. Overall I wanted to share that the standards, service and overall experience was just as good and maybe even better than our first visit. Lars, the General Manager, was very welcoming and his team really made our stay special with their friendliness and willingness to provide some excellent service. If you are going to Koh Samui, then I recommend a stay at Anantara Lawana.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dylan C

Dear DylanC,

It is certainly always a great pleasure having you staying with us and my team and I are looking forward welcoming you back hopefully very soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Lovely place, fabulous rooms, service just excellent. Loved the buttons on the beach to request the waiters. Location great with peace and tranquility and 5 minutes taxi to the madness that is central Chaweng. Minor niggles with service at breakfast on a couple of occasions and the wifi was frustratingly poor but overall this is a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sdw1759

Dear sdw1759,

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please accept our apology for the challenges with the internet connection. We upgraded the entire system during your stay which caused some unexpected system downtimes. The good news is that future guests will enjoy a faster and more stable internet connection.

We are looking forward welcoming you back to your Paradise!

Lars Kerfin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
#2 of 103 in Chaweng
2 mi away
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!