“Amazing service - great food and location”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Singapore, Singapore
“Amazing service - great food and location”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I travelled here as part of a company trip and hurt myself (no fault of the hotels at all) while playing sports on the beach. The hotel was amazing - great rooms, great food selection and fantastic service but this was even more so after I got hurt. The manager personally made sure that my room was moved to one was more accessible and helped with arranging a buggy and staff to help me move around the hotel. I was really impressed with the overall service and found have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.
Fantastic work guys!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear prakashh17,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. We hope you recovered soon after your return from your injury and would certainly appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back so you can enjoy our resort and services with any handicap.

Lars Kerfin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We booked our hols package thru Expedia - quite a good deal I must say so we are even more surprised re the quality of the room and staff etc.
Great staff esp those at the restaurants and spa. Oh that spa... that Anantara signature massage .... def one of the best I have ever had... their products are good too esp the face cream.
The room is just beautiful! We've booked a room with plunge pool - the pool is much bigger than we expected! Our room is cleaned twice a day and the staff is friendly and helpful.
Last but not least I highly recommend the Tree TOp restaurant - the food was exquisite and the setting - having candle-lit dinner on the tree top was an absolutely wonderful experience.

Room Tip: We are staying in room 425 with the plunge pool and it was very private - in fact we could even go s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy C
Dear Cindy C,

Thank you for a perfect review and the nice compliments. I will happily share them with my team and look forward welcoming you back to Koh Samui.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 May 2014

While we learned on our honeymoon trip that Ko Samui may be a little too fast paced and hectic for us (we are sort of "small town" people), Lawana was a little oasis amongst the craziness. We had stayed at a couple of different Anantara hotels before we stayed at Lawana and we were greeted with an amazing check in experience - including an upgrade to the deluxe plunge pool room. The fact that the Anantara hotels recognized that we had stayed at sister hotels on our trip made us feel extremely appreciated and valued - and obviously an upgrade always helps. Our room was decorated with towel creatures and flower petals - and also a little cake for our honeymoon.

As others have said, the beach isn't the most amazing one you will ever see in your life, but the views from the infinity pool are quite lovely. We personally loved the location because if we had been in the busy area of Chaweng we wouldn't have liked the chaos and the crowds. It is very easy to hop in the little shared truck cabs - and only 50 baht per person into the heart of town - if you want to venture out for shopping, dinner, clubs, etc.

Lawana's spa is really great - the 90 minute Thai massage is highly recommended and I wish I could have taken the comfy Thai pajamas that they have you wear with me!

Breakfast is amazing - anything and everything you could want (including gluten free pancakes that the chef happily made special for me after he noticed me making a piece of gluten free toast). We had dinner in their restaurant one evening and it was delicious. (The hotel is also across the street from The Larder restaurant which rightly gets amazing reviews on TripAdvisor).

In short, a nice hotel with lovely rooms. Great for a honeymoon - and good location if you want to stay in a quieter area in Ko Samui.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ErniePoo
Dear ErniePoo,

Congratulations once again on your honeymoon and Thank you for your loyalty with Anantara which is highly appreciated.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed a fabulous honeymoon with us and hope being able to welcome you back in the future.

Scotland
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Just back from Thailand where we stayed at this hotel. We arrived about 8.30PM at night exhausted from flight details and were seen to straight away. Check in was smooth and we were escorted to our room right away. Our room was beautiful and was serviced twice a day for cleaning and turn down and we left plenty of drinking water every day. During our stay the staff at this hotel looked very smart and everyone we spoke to made us feel welcome and helped us to enjoy our holiday. The breakfast staff are always very very cheerful, especially Kate who was very interested in what we were doing and if we were okay. The breakfast is fantastic, plenty to offer here. The beach, the loungers, the service off the beach lads is second to none. Every morning you were met with a smile, two towels were laid out on your chosen lounger and then you got a ice cold flannel, then an ice lolly then later a fruit kebab, all delicious and most welcome due to the heat. After that lunch at Ocean Kiss was superb, especially the Paneer Tikka kebabs. The bar staff were excellent crack before your evening meal and the nibbles they put out were fantastic. If you needed a scooter hire or anything the reception staff were so helpful and you just felt at ease and were able to enjoy your holiday. They topped of a magnificent stay by allowing us a late checkout without any hassle at all. Check out was easy and an air conditioned room was available with free internet so you could coolly relax whilst you waited on your taxi. All in all a well run hotel with great warming staff right near where you want to be in Chaweng. We want to go back next year it was so good.

Room Tip: I only down scored the sleep bit as the birds in the trees make a racket early in the mornings but i...
1 Thank aberdeengeordie
Dear aberdeengeordie,

Thank you for all compliments and such wonderful review. I’m glad to hear that my team was able to provide you with a great experience.

I am certainly disappointed about a loss in score because of noisy birds around your room but will try our best to prevent this for your future visit and aim for a perfect score.

Let me know your future travel plans so I can organize the bird catcher.

Mumbai
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel is located very close to the international airport and is located close to several other hotels in the vicinity like Briza, Haad Ngam etc.

Stayed at the Deluxe Plunge Pool Villa and the notch up is the privacy that the hotel provides. The room we stayed in was compact which led to a very closed space feeling however, the outdoor plunge pool and the patio was a pleasant distraction.

The staff offered upgrade option to Pool villa at "minimal" cost difference, but we were honestly surprised to see one pool being shared between 4 or 6 villas. Who would want that?

The hotel is located on the cliff and the view of the beach is good, however, you need to trudge down to reach the beach. The hotel has done a good job in creating an impressive array of seating and lounging options where one can relax and enjoy a good view of the ocean.

For breakfast they have an elaborate array of edible options but unfortunately (again) they lack taste.
We had ordered lunch of chicken with sauted veggies and rice one day and honestly I lost my appetite. Due to which we cancelled our dinner reservation at their famous restaurant "Tree Top" as we had flight next day and did not want to take a chance with our meal.
Food is a let down.

Location:
The hotel is not in city center and unfortunately does not provide complimentary shuttle unlike their compatriots.

The beach is good but does not hold candle to the flat bed beaches a little ahead towards Briza and other hotels.

Overall, the staff is efficient and the hotel has it's positives, but they need to look into the overlooked or neglected aspects and that would surely help in creating better customer satisfaction.

1 Thank SadiaZB
Dear SadiaZB,

Thank you very much for staying with us and your open and honest feedback. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our service as well as your room.

The title of your review is actually somehow misleading and I would like to clarify that our resort is situated straight at the beach line.

My sincere apology if our breakfast and lunch offerings haven’t met our usual high standards. Your feedback in comparison to other guest’s feedback clearly shows that we have failed to deliver this and we will review this with the team to ensure consistency.

We will use your feedback to improve our guest experience further and would appreciate the opportunity serving you again in the future.

London
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I've recently stayed in this property just for 2 days with my girlfriend. I've been to Samui probably around 20 times already and very much liked the hotel however we could not stay longer due to personal reasons in the hotel. At this point we have contacted Ms Suphalak who is the Front of House Manager of the hotel. Upon meeting her, she was extremely professional and understanding of our situation and helped us arrange everything. Her great service is shown by the other staff in the hotel which makes sure that you have a comfortable stay. Thank you !

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear CemCaglar,

I’m glad to hear that Khun Tumm and my team looked well after you so you enjoyed your stay, even though you had to shorten it unexpectedly.

Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 20 travels before you have the chance to return to us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Anantara Lawana is a large hotel, situated a few miles outside Chaweng. Reception is located near to the main road. Accommodation is on a hillside sloping down to the sea. The distances are quite large and therefore might not be suitable for people with mobility problems and/or small children; transport within the hotel is available. The beach slopes gently into the sea and seems safe to swim in. The beach is quite small, with the result that sun loungers are close together. There is reasonable shade. Rocks of different sizes are partially buried in the sand around the loungers. Towels are complemenary. Above the beach is a long, relatively narrow pool, around which are further loungers, albeit with little if no shade. Ices and other treats are handed out during the day

Standard rooms are quite small and reasonably furnished; bathrooms, although private, are open to the outside and therefore have no AC. There are tea and coffee-making facilities. Despite the mention of a DVD library amongst the information available in the room, this no longer exists. Wifi is only available for a limited time per day in rooms and additional time must be paid for; it is free in public areas. We stayed in a ‘deluxe plunge pool room’ which came with a pleasant, largish plunge pool and well-shaded outside sitting area.

Service is reasonable but largely functional. The breakfast buffet is excellent! On the one occasion we eat in the hotel in the evening, the food was good but expensive; judging by that occasion, very few people used the restaurant.

The area outside the hotel has a few basic restaurants as well as a mini-mart. It would be possible to walk into Chaweng but is not recommended as the road is busy and pavements are not always present. Taxis cost about 300 Baht each way. Chaweng itself is a noisy town, full of cars, open-fronted bars/restaurants pumping out loud music and crowds of people in various states of undress.

This hotel might be suitable for a short stay. We wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2TravellerNow
Dear 2TravellerNow,

I am sorry to hear that we haven’t meet your expectations and that you had a rather disappointing experience. Please accept my apology for this.

As per Google maps our resort is located 1.2km (less than a mile) away from the beginning of Chaweng Beach Road, which offers a variety of resorts, bars, shopping etc. as you mentioned. The easiest and most economic way of getting there is by local shared taxis, which are converted pick up trucks that service the island 24/7. A trip to Chaweng downtown would cost you THB 50/person.

I was surprised that our standards rooms with over 50sqm have been considered small by you as they are significantly bigger than standard rooms of other resorts on the island. But I’m glad to hear that you have found an acceptable alternative with our about 90sqm Plunge Pool rooms.

Based on your comments I rechecked our DVD library and can confirm that this still exists. I assume that your impression is based on a failure of my team to communicate the handling of the same correctly and I will ensure that we will improve on that.

The internet in the resort has been changed to be complimentary for all room types now, which I hope will find your satisfaction.

We appreciate your feedback and would hope being able to welcome you to any other Anantara Resort in the future.

Lars Kerfin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
#1 of 104 in Chaweng
Buri Rasa Village Samui
Buri Rasa Village Samui
#2 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!