“Perfect holiday”

Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Bangkok, Thailand
“Perfect holiday”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed 3 nights in a lovely pool villa. The resort decor with Thai Chinese style, quite unique. The breakfast by the beach is great, nice selection of food and staff are helpful. Dinner at tree tops restaurant is the highlight of our stay. Excellent job to all the staff there, food is very good. Great resort in overall. Will definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2014
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Mr. Donk,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate that you will recommend us and looking forward welcoming you back to Samui hopefully soon.

Lars Kerfin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Galway Ireland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We honeymooned here in April and while the resort was beautiful and the service good the accommodation is in need of a little attention. Overall we enjoyed our stay. I would avoid the spa however as we paid 80 euro each for a couples massage and was very disappointed for the price. There are so many massage parlors elsewhere on the island for a couple of euro for massages which are alot better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear mgt123dt,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing some feedback that will help us improving our guest experience further. Please accept my apology if our Spa experience, which is usually highly complimented by guests, hasn’t met your expectations. I would have certainly appreciated hearing about this during your vacation so we could have taken corrective actions in order to ensure you experience a Spa treatment to our usual very high standards.

We would be delighted receiving another opportunity serving you as our guest.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 9 nights on our honeymoon in May 2014. The staff at the hotel are lovely , so kind , welcoming and very helpful. The hotel is in a good location and it didn't take us long to find our way around. The beach the hotel has access too is nice and the pool area is lovely. I would say that the food and drink around the pool bar was expensive compared to what you can buy in the family mart across the road and the restaurants close by but it was very nice food. The breakfast was lovely, many choices and the staff were great. We had dinner one night in the tree tops restaurant and that was also very lovely, I would recommend it, well worth the money. Our room was beautiful, we had a private plunge pool and a maid whom visited twice daily, the mini bar was also expensive. As our bathroom area was outside, I did get bitten a lot so do take plenty of mozzy repellent.
We had a great time here and would return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah D
Dear Sarah U,

Thank you very much for your compliments and taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

I agree that it is difficult to compete on pricing with the Family Mart across the street and the local restaurants which certainly have a very different cost structure than we have. Nevertheless, I am confident that you received a great value for money.

My team and I are looking forward welcoming you back to Koh Samui.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and I have to say this resort is unique. From the minute we checked in we were impressed with the decor and layout of this resort. But it's the staff that really made our stay, they were warm, friendly, professional and one got the feeling that they knew exactly who you were and were personally invested in ensuring we had a great stay. Breakfast excellent, and our 1 night at tree tops will not be forgotten. We will be back and cannot recommend this hotel enough

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MuppetonTour01,

We appreciate you have taken the time sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. Thank you for all the compliments and we hope being able to welcome you back.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is an exceptional hotel with staff who go beyond your expectation. We used this hotel to celebrate our 10th anniversary and I only wish we could have stayed much longer. If I were to recommend anywhere on samui it would be here. Don't delay, book a deluxe "pool access" room which is luxurious and private. I'm hard to please and this place bowled me over! Just book and enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe pool access room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Laurence J,

Thank you very much for your compliments about your recent stay. I’m glad to hear that we could make such a positive impact on your 10th anniversary.

We are looking forward welcoming you back… hopefully earlier than in another 10 years.

London
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This was my second visit to this hotel this year. It really is a delightful place to visit. Yes, I would tend to agree with those comments below about storage, water pressure, wi-fi (I believe this is being improved), and a little TLC being required around the rooms and yes, there are better hotels in Koh Samui – there is always a better hotel - but these do tend to be rather off the beaten track with limited local amenities (and cost more).

Where this hotel does score - and indeed the reason why I went the first time, as wife had decreed that we had done enough travelling recently and that she wanted to look after the cats - is its location. It also scores especially on the quality of its staff, which was my main reason for a repeat visit.

Its location is good, being around the corner from Chaweng (200 Baht by taxi) and about 15 minutes by taxi from Fisherman’s Village, and yet the place is relatively compact by resort hotel standards and is very peaceful, so one has the best of both worlds. Travelling alone this was important for me.

Nearly all the reviews below comment on the staff and they are certainly right. Indeed I would suggest that it is the staff which makes this hotel. At all levels they are very professional, very friendly and well organized. This is very much a ‘service with a smile place’, which is the sign of a well-run hotel.

To give a few examples, I arrived early at 8.30 am from Bangkok and had previously e-mailed to ask if I could either have an early check-in (rather than the contractual 2pm) or an appointment in the spa until the room was ready. I actually was contacted in advance confirming that I could check in early, which was a nice touch, so I could plan my day. It was an obvious thing but one which rarely happens - one usually one only finds out on arrival and at 8.30 one would normally wait anyhow. The efficient Tumm, who has also been mentioned below several times, has everything under control there - a delightful lady.

Accordingly, I went for breakfast on arrival and was greeted by the restaurant receptionist Orn, who is a real sweetie with a good command of English, and who recognized me at once. Kate, the supervisor, not only remembered me but also the wine which I had drunk on my first visit and the meal which I had eaten, which was impressive.

Most visitors have commented favourably, and with good reason, on the breakfasts at the Ocean Kiss: a very wide range, a cold room for fruits, cheeses and the more sensitive foods, 3 stations providing hot food cooked while you wait and numerous hot plates. Being on UK time I was usually there early on so it wasn’t busy but on both visits I could not fault the food or service for any of the breakfasts which I had there.

I did not get a chance to eat in the Tree Tops restaurant and, travelling alone, would probably have felt rather guilty in taking a table just for a party of one anyhow as the place was in demand, but everybody spoke very highly of it and its food.

I agree completely with one of the reports made 4 weeks ago about the spa (“Top rated hotel but I just didn’t get it”). More than anything else, the spa here is superb, and, as before, I spent a lot of time there. Here you can really be pampered in privacy and luxury. It is very organized, very tranquil with excellent treatments and I suspect that a lot of hard work by the very likeable and energetic manager, Annie, is done behind the scenes. I was there most days and she devised a great programme for me. There is simply no comparison between the spa here and the cheapies in the street outside the hotel and it is well worth spending the difference. My thanks to Annie, especially, and therapist Kai (again).

I had room 109, a sea view villa with pool. I think these types of rooms are the best with a view directly over the beach, and, I suspect, have the most privacy. On my first visit I did have a problem with 114, which is a little to the left as one looks out to sea – I went determined to lose weight but every morning at 6.30, just when I was debating whether to go for an early breakfast or to the gym, the delicious smell of crispy bacon wafted up from the restaurant down below. Very unfair. Breakfast won. It was downhill all the way from there.

I have stayed in quite a few 5 star hotels in Thailand and I would certainly go back here, especially if they keep the core staff.

Room Tip: Would recommend the sea view pool villas - excellent view and privacy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank TravellerfromMcr
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear TravelerfromMcr,

Thank you AGAIN for a very complimentary and detailed review about your recent stay. It is certainly highly motivating for my team and myself reading this and it will encourage us to work even harder to ensure we not only maintain but improve our standards.

Looking forward having you back soon…

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

I truly enjoyed my stay here. even on business I had the chance to jump in to the pool next to my room.
The food offer is fantastic. Tree Tops restaurant is a must. A place to add weight.
I will be back

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Helmut A,

I’m sorry to hear that you had to come for business to our beautiful resort but appreciate your positive feedback and compliments. My team and I are looking forward welcoming you back soon, hopefully for a relaxing holiday.

Lars Kerfin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,318 reviews
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!