“Excellent.”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Me and my partner stayed at the Anantara for 7 nights (22-28 August) having spent 3 hectic nights in Bangkok. What a lovely hotel. Check in was smooth (although not sure why they insisted they took a photograph of us both) and we were taken to our room. Wow it was lovely with a large balcony, a massive bath big enough to fit a rugby team in and a powerful shower. Breakfast was superb over looking the beach, with a great selection. Pool area and beach also great, plenty of sun beds and parasols. I forgot to pack beach towels but I didn't need them, there were plenty of fresh towels stacked in the pool area for you to use, so don't bother packing towels. During the day the staff come round handing out ice cold flannels infused with mint, which is much needed when laying in the sun, fruit kebabs and frozen pineapple chunks on sticks, such lovely touches that made it all so nice.

Having read the reviews on the Tree Tops restaurant which is part of the hotel I decided to book a table there for our second night. I am so glad I emailed the restaurant from the Uk and booked the highest table in the trees as they only have eight covers and two sittings. I booked the 6pm sitting as recommended as you can see the sun set and it was fab. Food was wonderful, the cocktails were excellent and the service first class. Yes it was expensive but was so so worth it. Wine was expensive, but having said that wine was expensive in every restaurant in the resort, although the supermarket over the road from the hotel does a very nice cheap bottle of red, well worth keeping a couple in the room for those pre dinner drinks on the balcony.

The rooms are spread out around the grounds and I am sure we had the room that was as far away from the restaurant/pool/bar as possible, but it kept us fit. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for anyone who has limited mobility or a wheel chair user as there are many steps leading to the pool/restaurant (70 in fact), yes we counted them, sad I know but it made going up a bit easier. Although we did find a cheeky path which led to the restaurant with only a few steps but it was a tad longer. Overall, a wonderful place where the staff cannot do enough for you. I would recommend this hotel 100 per cent.

Room Tip: We had room 514, I would recommend requesting a room between 100 up to 300. If we went again I would...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Fiona470,

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us that much and had a fantastic vacation. We appreciate the time you have taken to share it here on TripAdvisor.

There is actually another not so secret path leading down to the beach that will have something of about only a dozen of steps… if you are using the ramp it will be even less than that.

Thank you for recommending us and we are looking forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

I was recommended the Hotel Anantara Lawana Resort & Spa many times before I chose to spend a week there.

My stay was amazing and a large part of my gratitude goes to the staff of the restaurant Ocean Kiss (breakfast place and one of the dinner restaurants). The team of teamleader Tae (Kate, Orn, Kai, Tad, and many others) always went the extra mile to make me feel at home. I stayed there on my own, and I was treated like a queen. The staff member's cordiality, kindness, helpfulness, efficiency, high professionalism and motivation are rare to find. The same holds true for the quality and presentation of the food as well as the hotel’s location. Having its own lovely, private beach, it only takes you a few short minutes to access the public beach of Chaweng.

I travel internationally and extensively, and I must say that this place is simply fantastic - one of a kind.

Thank you; I will come back for sure.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Dear Isabelle2480,

I am sure the team of OceanKiss will appreciate your compliments and certainly so do we. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I will be pleased assisting you with any future reservation.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Location is good, but for information, this is the furthest I would be away from the main Chaweng area.There are a couple of cafes and restaurants within walking distance though Chaweng Central/Festival is a bit further. Rooms/buildings are all pretty private and well spaced out. We had a plunge pool and an outside area. They had a bottle and a cake for us when we arrived as we were on honeymoon. Service and everything else was great. Free water in the room and fruits by the beach (minibar is a bit useless as there is a supermarket or two across the entrance). Beach sand is new-ish, I think, but although the sea water is nice and warm, it is pretty shallow and not a surf or tidal beach. I would try another Anantara.

Room Tip: The grounds are fairly large so is a tiny bit far from the beach to the entrance
1  Thank luke_speedos
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear luke_speedos,

Thank you very much for the good rating and your compliments. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and service, even though we are not opposite the Central shopping mall, which many would see rather as an advantage.

As we do have a couple of Anantara Resorts across Asia and the Middle East and Africa we would be delighted welcoming you back to any of them.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We had a great time at this hotel. After an initial issue with the room placement (helped a lot by hotels.com), we were upgraded to a beautiful villa that shared a very large pool with three other villas. You absolutely want to pay the extra money and take the villas with the semi-private larger pools. The grounds are spectacular, lush with vegetation, sitting on a hill overlooking a magnificent infinity pool and beach below. The staff were uniformly patient and service-oriented. Everyone, from reception to cleaning staff, went out of their way for us. One example: we have very strict dietary restrictions and the chefs and waiters went through hoops to allow us to eat something. The two downsides: the mosquitoes were omnipresent at nights and the bathroom is only partially enclosed. As to the former, they tried to spray around the rooms but I think they need to find another solution. As to the latter, they were able to put up some boards that enclosed the bathrooms, but one wonders about their original design. With those two caveats, we would absolutely stay again at this hotel. We and our kids were very sorry to leave.

Room Tip: Ask for the villas surrounding the semi-private rooms...211 and 212
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear DaddyAlan,

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed such a wonderful stay in our Pool Access Villas.

As usual in the tropics, we have to deal with mosquitoes as well and do our best to prevent them. Unfortunately they seem to like some people more than others, but simple precautions like keeping the doors closed especially during the early evening times will improve it significantly.

We are looking forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Everything was perfect and we enjoyed the stay. Especially to mention is the beautiful breakfast next to the beach. It is very rich and delicious. We also can recommend the barbeque night. Delicious and beautyful because your are sitting on the beach.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Ursula R,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time sharing your compliments with us.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed at the Anantara Lawana for 11 nights for our honeymoon in August. Me and my husband both think that the hotel is amazing. The hotel surroundings are beautiful and you tell that they are looked after really well by dedicated staff. We arrived fairly early in the morning and were offered cool towels as it was quite warm by that point and a lovely refreshing drink. As a honeymoon treat my husband decided to upgrade our room halfway through our stay and the reception staff were really accommodating of this and didn't pressure us into the most expensive rooms. The staff are the friendliest staff we have come across, constantly acknowledging your presence in the hotel and some asking how you are. Our first room was the deluxe plunge pool room, it was lovely. The plunge pool was much bigger than we thought and incredibly private which is what you need I think when you are on honeymoon. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom unique as some of it was outside which we both really liked.

Our second room we had was the pool access room and the first one we went to had seven villas round one pool but unfortunately it had quite a strong sulphur smell. My husband went to reception as we didn't feel comfortable in the room with the smell but the reception staff were amazing. The girl at reception who unfortunately we can't remember the name of took us to another pool access room with five villas around it straightaway. She was really accommodating and understanding. We settled on this room which we loved. It was really quiet and most people used the main pool so our pool stayed relatively quiet most of the time.

The room itself was really spacious and had a lovely bath and again an outdoor shower which was even better than the plunge pool room. The housekeeping staff were really considerate and the room was always tidied and made up to a high standard. We really liked the turn down service where the housekeeping staff would come in and turn down our bed, close the curtains, light incense for the mosquitoes and leave us a lovely leaf with the weather for the next day written on it.

While we were at the hotel, breakfast was included in the package and it was probably the best breakfast we have had while staying at a hotel. There was so much selection and the restaurant staff were really friendly and always welcoming. A special mention to Tae who would nearly every day come and talk to us and always delivered fantastic customer service. While we stayed at the hotel we went to the Tree Tops restaurant, the food was honestly the best food we have ever had. The privacy and romantic element of each individual table made the experience really special. A special mention to Tour who really delivered fantastic customer service and went the extra mile. She remembered our names after dining at Tree Tops and always said hello!

We have to mention the pool bar as well with it's amazing cocktails and the pool staff who were really attentive giving out towels for the pool and even laying them on your sun lounger for you and being on hand for any requests or if you wanted a drink. Again a special mention to Santi who was extremely friendly and courteous at all times and genuinely took an interest in us as guests. He had great customer service.

My husband also received excellent customer service from Fon at reception who went out of her way to provide a range of dinner options on Koh Samui and showed it was absolutely no trouble to do so. The hotel showed it had brilliant customer service when we dined at Ocean Kiss, my husband ordered a pizza with chilli and no cherry tomatoes. There was a mix up and the pizza came without the chilli and the cherry tomatoes were on the pizza. My husband wasn't that bothered by it but the staff were so attentive and apologetic that the order had been mixed up. We can't fault how they rectified the situation. We were offered a free dessert and a glass of sparkling wine. Tae came over and offered his apologies making sure we were ok.

Just as we were leaving we were struggling with our luggage and two very kind gardeners took our luggage and carried it up the steps to the lobby. This just reaffirmed the whole ethos of the hotel and the kind of customer service that they offer. We were so sad to leave the hotel on our last day and we really would love to come back! Maybe for our first wedding anniversary!

Room Tip: The pool access with four or five villas is probably the best.

Dear Sophfille,

We can’t thank you enough for taking the time sharing your very detailed feedback not only with us but with the entire TripAdvisor community. It is always very encouraging receiving feedback like this and my team will be highly motivated after reading it, especially the team members you mentioned by name.

Please don’t hesitate contacting me directly for a return visit and I will ensure that your expectations will be exceeded.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

This was my first trip to Koh samui, leisure trip with wife and kid. We loved our four night stay at this hotel, great room service, scenic beach view by the infinity pool, tasteful food and lavish rooms. In short all what you are looking for in a perfect hotel. Situated near the chaweng walk (3 mins drive) with family mart and bike car rental just opposite the hotel. We stayed in the plunge pool room which I would recommend for honeymooners and people who intend to stay in room rather than exploring the city. Getting weather information on the leaf and getting cold towels at arrival is a nice touch. Room service would create animals out of the towels everyday while you are out.
If you are travelling with a kid I would suggest you take room near the hotel lobby because there are a lot of steps and steep slopes everywhere in the hotel campus.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Paragpahwa,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We appreciate to hear that you had such a lovely stay with us.

Lars Kerfin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!