“Almost paradise”

Ranked #19 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Denmark
“Almost paradise”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My family (2 adults, 3 kids aged 4, 9 and 10) stayed here for 12 nights in a Villa Suite. It was spacious and had nice decorations. Very nice Villa. Only thing that could have been at real bother, was that the villas are connected 2 and 2 and only separated with very thin doors. If some other guests had been at the villa connected to ours, we would have been very annoyed since you could hear everything from the next villa. Fortunately for us, it was low season and there weren't any guests there.

Free internet all over the resort and good connection both at the villa and by the pool. You just had to switch to another connection.

The resort is fantastic! Absolutely! We were picked up at the airport, were offered a cold drink on arrival, the luggage was delivered to our villa and everything just ran smoothly.

The staff are very friendly and very helpful. Food is very delicious and at reasonably prices. Of course it is cheaper outside the resort, but the is quite normal, I think.

Our kids felt like they had ran right into paradise! We loved the pool, loved the beach and felt welcome everywhere. It was low season and the staff really took their time to play with the kids and to make them feel special.

We had 11 spateatments while we were there, both at the spa and at the beach. Both were excellent! And again, the staff were friendly and very competent. It was worth every Bath!

On saturday night there were a BBQ on the beach. It was absolutely beautiful! I sat there looking at my family, looking at the candles on the tables with white tablecloths. It was pure happiness! So absolutely fantastic! Go to this BBQ if you are there on a saturday night. Please!

We could easily have stayed for longer and would love to come back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Malene F
chanupong_GM, General Manager at New Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, 25 January 2016

Greetings from the New star Beach Resort Koh Samui.

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to write and shared your satisfaction in TripAdvisor. Such correspondence is always highly motivating our Team but even more so when it comes from someone who has traveled widely and can appreciate the finer points of what we are trying to achieve like you.

I shall take the greatest pleasure in passing on your kind words to the team accordingly.

It is gratifying that our resort played some part in your enjoyment of Thailand and hope it is not too long before we welcome you back to the Land of Smiles at New star again soon, we remain.

General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We just arrived yesterday from the Code hotel, and regret leaving there. We were spoilt for their hospitality; professionalism, so when we came here were very disappointed. A few things happened that marred our stay that we won't be extending our stay if rooms were available. I won't go into it but basically I was made to feel inferior by a certain staff member at dinner. I had to repeatedly tell him I had reservations for dinner and my room number it was embarrassing. Then I had a voucher for wine that I left in the room which was quite a distance away; but he INSISTED, I produce it or I couldn't have my free glass of wine, he didn't trust me to show him later, it was only a glass of wine and my husband said dont gi and get it, but he made me feel like a lier. Whilst I was gone my husband told him that it wasn't very nice to make me go back and he said i need voucher.He later made some feeble excuse about miscommunication but it wss too late.After the meal I noticed everyone just get up and leave WITHOUT signing any bill, but when we did it they started running after us, embarrassing us again.My husband asked to speak to the manager but they pretended not to understand. A couple of other things, little niggly things happened, so as not to bore you and sounding like a princess, I will leave it up you to judge.
We are staying in a bungalow type cottage which is very nice, the pool is nice but missing one rung on the ladder making it almost impossible to get in or out. The beach is nice white sand not rocky, but be warned there are snippy minute crab like lice in the water, all around thus area, because of the current. GOOGLE it.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank maroubragirl

Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed for 11 nights with wife and four children (age, 1, 7, 7, 9). This was our first vacation in Asia and our expectations were high. The welcome to the hotel was very pleasant - cold drinks in reception and fresh whole coconuts to all at the villa. We arrived 9am but the villas was already ready. We had two interconnection suite villas. 5-6 evening we had dinner at the hotel.

I give this hotel 5 stars because of
• the staff - especially at the pool bar and restaurant – but also at the reception organization tours and transportation using the hotels cars. All loved our children.
• the location close to the very very nice beach
• The pool and pool bar. It didn’t look like it but it was very child friendly
• the spacious villas with maybe six! meters to the ceiling. Amazing.
• the quality of food – especially lunch and dinner
• the beautiful garden (I think 10 people worked in the garden every day)

Be aware that hotel could need some redecoration. The suite villas comes in pairs with only a thin folding wall between. I was good that I spend the extra money to have two villas and not have a neighbor that would have been too close.

This was by far the most expensive vacation we ever had - flying in six persons from Europe and having two suite villas. We paid the final bill the evening before leaving (45.000 bath for pool bar, meals and minibar). At 6:30am we checked out and a staff member checked the rooms. We then had to pay for one additional bottle of water, one Thai beer and one small Pringles that I did not agree that we used and if we did it must have been several day before. Leaving with the final feeling that hotel calculate small-mindedly was not good and made me feel angry.

Room Tip: The suite villas comes in pairs with only a thin folding wall between. I was good that I spend the e...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Thomas B

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a really nice 5 star hotel located in one of the best beaches here in Thailand. The sand is thin and soft and the water calm and clear. It's also perfect for children. We are two adults and a child 3 years old and we all are enjoying a lot.
Rooms: we got a suite villa. Really spacious with a great terrace, big bed and a gorgeous bathroom with both bathtube and shower. The only thing is the villa it's separate with a panel that can be opened with a key and you can find the villa next door. That's mean that it's easy to hear what it's going on next door. Sometimes bit annoyed.
Breakfast is really good were you find almost everything. I was really satisfied with it.
The restaurant at the pool was good with good food and snack. The only thing is they change the portion of the food depending on the day... We ordered some chicken nuggets and the portion and taste was really different from one day to another. I told the waiters and they say it was like that..
Also I asked for a beer 5 min. Before the happy hour ended and they charged me as normal. They said I ordered after it ended...
I tried the spa and I felt like a queen. It was really professional, good atmosphere and so relaxing. I could try again and again
In general the hotel its really good, well maintain, good staff and rally clean.
They maybe could have more new towels on the rooms since it is a 5 star hotel but this is just an insignificant comment..
We have been really good treated and we would be back again.
We are still here until the 29 July 2014 if someone want to ask ;)

Stayed July 2014

Beijing, China
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I loved it here. I stayed in a deluxe suite and it was gorgeous. Clean and lovely with an outdoor shower as well as an indoor shower and a tub. The pool is incredible. The breakfast buffet is great, although not many gluten free options for Celiacs. The beach is lovely. However, when my boyfriend and I went in the water, we were stung by little things every minute or so! It was incredibly unpleasant! This is not the case on other Koh Samui beaches. The staff is not well versed in English. Prices were inflated. You can get a 200 bhat massage instead of a 2,500 bhat massage elsewhere on the island.

So, it's a really nice place, but definitely far from perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eggytomato90
chanupong_GM, General Manager at New Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 January 2016

Riehen, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was there for two weeks and it was very nice. By the arrival, the staff was welcome us warm hearted (friendly staff, welcome drink, ...). The check-in was relaxing and with a nice view. There were flowers in the room and 10 min. after we arrived there, we get a young coconut. The room was nice and clean (we stayed at a Balcony Deluxe Room). The food was delicious and alwyas looked so nice. I rented a motorbike and saw many beaches, but honestly,he beach in front of New Star was the most relaxing and nicest in Samui.
For sure I'll come back in december for a couple of weeks!

and by the way, there was a realy friendly swiss staff, who helped us a lot with all the tours and bookings!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MaBu_King

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a few times and definitely prefer to stay in the beach cottages, we asked for a particular one and managed to score it!!, right on the beach with views from our bed, amazing, the rooms are basic but clean and comfortable, for a beach location it is worth the amount we spent. The only real criticism i would say is the staff are not well trained, sometimes this is frustrating as they don't understand what you are saying, if they spent more money on training and organising the staff this would be a great place to stay.

Room Tip: don't book this hotel if you are unfit or elderly, many steps to front of hotel!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple