“Annual pilgrimage to serenity, friendship, amazing views, food and accommodation.”
Review of Jungle Club

Jungle Club
Ranked #29 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 24 November 2011

My wife and I came across the Jungle club, via LP, four years ago.
Being based in China, we had our annual holiday in Samui, and until this year (as a heavily pregnant wife needs a level surface to travel about, which has not stopped us, going there almost daily for a meal or two!), have started our Samui holiday at JC.

If you want somewhere to go to unwind your whole holiday, or spend the first part there before you move on to other islands, TJC is outstanding.

As soon as you breach the recently completed concrete road (which now allows you to rent a car, Motorbike or give them a call and they can pick you up from the bottom for a small fee, to travel to and from TJC), you are in a slice of heaven.

From the moment you step into the very cool restaurant/bar you are blow away by the view. And scattered along the ridge below the main restaurant are the most excellent chill out spaces, perfect for a couple to enjoy privacy or a few of you to kick back chat and enjoy the food served from the restaurant.

Now the food. One word. Excellent! Nothing more to say here.

There are many and varied options for accommodation, the Jungle Lodge being our favourite, a huen cottage levitating above the amazing views below, and complete privacy.

All the other options have recently been upgraded, with new villas added.

Now to the 'experience'.
If you want hot and cold running robots to serve your every need, this may not be the place for you. If on the other hand you want to be with people who will genuinely care for you, with great humor and genuine friendship, The Jungle Club is without equal. Cheeky and irreverent, mixed with a great sense of care, you will quickly become part of the family.

This family will extend to other guests as we have experienced on all four visits. There has been at least one couple that we have teamed up with to go out to dinner, or share the excellent food at the Jungle Club itself.

Enough from us, just go there, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2011

Reviewed 26 October 2011

Have just spent 2 weeks at the Jungle Club in Koh Samui and cannot believe how lucky I was to find such a beautiful place to stay. The views are out of this world, the accomodation is perfect and all the staff are just lovely. I will definately stay here again and recommend any-one wanting to have a peaceful, relaxing and luxurious time to book in to the Jungle Club for the same experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank EmmaN69
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Myself and my now husband first visited The Jungle Club in 2006 we loved it so much that we decided to have our wedding there.
To our delight we had many guests wanting to join us for our special day from the UK and Australia.
The organisation of the wedding was done via e-mail between myself, Valerie (the jungle club) and a wedding planner over the space of a year. We did all the planning prior to us getting there.
As soon as we arrived we felt at home, the staff are fantastic - there if you need them but they
want you to relax and have a good time.
The wedding day ran like clock work, I don't have any complaints, the food was amazing and the owners let us have control of the music system so we could play our own music.
The accommodation is great but the views are fantastic.
You have to embrace the jungle club for what it is. It has a certain charm that I defy anyone not to fall in love with.
They made our day so special we will never forget it.
Thank you to Valerie, It, Thai, Jack Jack and all the other staff at the jungle club that made our day.
We filled all the accommodation at the jungle club for four nights with friends and family. I have not had one complaint. Only lots of people asking me to get the recipe for their Masaman Curry - a must try!
I would also like to add a comment about the security at the jungle club. All rooms have safety deposit boxes, we didn't feel the need to use ours. On the day of our wedding I obviously had other things on my mind and I forgot to lock and close our villa doors. I left an I pad, camera money and passports in full view. It was all there when I returned to the room several hours later and the cleaners had been in to put lovely flowers on our bed. I totally trust all the staff at he jungle club and hope to return very soon.

Room Tip: The huts are a little basic with cold showers etc so I would go for the next step up if you are used...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Carey D
Reviewed 12 September 2011

First things first; as other reviews will tell you, it's up a mountain overlooking Chaweng, not really in the town itself. Taxis and tuk-tuks will take you to the access road at the foot of the hill, but to get to the Jungle Club itself, you have no choice but to use their [paid] transport service to get up to the accommodation itself. So this is not the place to stay if you want to enjoy the Koh Samui nightlife or beaches on a consistent basis.

That said, once you get to the top, it's really nice. There is a semicircle of bungalows around a central green, some of which (like mine) were your standard bungalow with outdoor shower/bathroom (cut above some I stayed in), others looked to be larger and nicer. The pool was gorgeous as you can see from the photo.

The bar and restaurant area was very chilled, the food very nice, beer cold and the view frankly fantastic. Staff also very helpful and friendly and happy to chat while your cocktail was mixed up. I came back through Koh Samui on my way from Koh Tao and made a point of coming back to Jungle Club - it's that sort of place.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank AndyH74
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I travelled around Thailand with a group, we were what they call flashpackers I suppose. We decided to stay in Jungle Club our last night in Koh Samui, having done the whole beach scene for a number of nights previous. We stayed in the huts.
Firstly the positives, of which there are so many, the pool and the surroundings and the view: oh my, we spent the entire day outside in the pool, taking endless pictures of that amazing view. The food was great, and reasonably priced. It would be so easy for them to charge higher prices than down on the beach but they don't! The Stawberry shakes were yummy and the staff had no issue with bringing them down to the pool to you. The staff as I mentioned are obliging and helpful! They made us feel really at home and we were only there for one night, we stayed up later than the staff watching one of the DVD's from their expansive DVD collection and we were told where the light switch was to just switch off the lights when we were done! Overall Jungle Club had so many positives, the one downside, and really it's not even a downside, we stayed in the huts and for a number of us, it just meant we were too close to nature! One of my friends had a resident frog in their safe, we all had huge iguana's in the bathrooms(which are effectively outdoors) and in the eves of the hut, watching as we slept! Now, we were in a jungle, what did we expect I suppose, but coming from Ireland where the most annoying thing nature wise is probably a blue bottle or the odd moth, it was an adjustment. There is no door separating the bathroom from the bedroom either, just a curtain of sorts, we had the mosquito nets tucked in tightly around us, not to keep Mosquitos out, more so the iguana's and frogs, not that they came anywhere near the bed!
I would go back again, but maybe not to stay in the huts, I would love to stay in one of the actual buildings there, in the hope that they keep the residents outside!?!
This place is an absolute GEM, and somewhere u can fill your camera with pictures to make all your friends extremely jealous, but just be prepared, especially if in a hut, it won't be just you!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Eads88
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed 3 nights here and they were definitely the best days of our trip around western Thailand.

The hotel is located on a lovely mountain. Spent lots of time us gazing the great view. Even the pool had an amazing view. The only problem with the location was that a 4x4 jeep was required whenever wanting to go down to the town or back to the hotel. Although the jeep ride was always an interesting adventure.

The staff was amazing and funny - making jokes all the time. They also helped us find decently priced transportation around the island.

During our stay here we also saw some of the biggest geckos and loudest frogs of our whole trip.

One slight surprise was that they only accepted cash payments in the hotel since the credit cards supposely didn't work on the mountain...

I can definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who prefers beautiful view and silence to the partying, and isn't too serious.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We were travelling on our honeymoon and stayed at the Jungle Club for a week. We could not have been happier either with the service, the view, our room or the general vibe of the place.

Thai, Jack, Pok and Ned did everything they could to make us feel welcome. From the moment we got there (hours earlier than normal check-in time) to the moment we left, nothing was too much trouble. Thai advised us on touring options, organised to get some sunscreen from town for us when we didn't want to go into town, brought us cocktails down to the pool, organised for gorgeous flowers in our Sala because we were honeymooners.... the list goes on. The staff really do care about doing all they can for you. By the end of the week you feel so comfortable with the staff you don't want to leave. All the staff joke and laugh around with you, rather than the subservience you get at some places, which we find cloying.

Let's start out with the positives. The view is heaven, the pool is amazing. Food is served from 8am to 10pm (last orders at 9.30pm) and the food is incredibly reasonably priced. Average main courses (thai food) were 160 bhat, which is about what we were paying on the beach in Chaweng. Cocktails were 180 bhat, beer 80 bhat and breakfasts were around 150 bhat average, including a juice and tea. There are three Salas you can have breakfast, lunch or dinner in, or if you just want to chill and enjoy the incredible view.

There are two resident dogs who are lovely. Oh, and a lot of resident Geckos! They're gorgeously coloured and keep the mosquitoes away.

There aren't all that many negatives, but I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. Our outdoor rain shower didn't really have hot water. This didn't bother me, because it was warm enough that a lukewarm shower was all I wanted, but my husband was a tiny bit sad that he couldn't have a hot shower. It wasn't cold enough to even bother mentioning to the staff though, so it wasn't too bad. The trip up the hill is a bit scary, and you really couldn't bring a hire car up. Then again, the staff are more than happy to take you up and down the hill at all hours, so it's not really a big issue. It did dissuade us from going down the hill to town or exploring more, but since it was so lovely up there, we didn't want to anyway!

We stayed in the Deluxe Lodge, and were very happy with the decor and the size of the room. It was certainly big enough for the two of us, and was perfectly situated far enough back from the pool so it was private, but close enough that we were in and out of the pool all day. The Sala didn't get used much, but that was more that we really loved hanging out at the pool or up at the restaurant/reception area where the view was best.

Mosquitoes weren't a big problem which was a very pleasant surprise. My husband usually suffers terribly, but we were able to leave the door and netting open most of the time without issue. I don't think we used the mosquito netting once.

All in All we couldn't really have been happier. There's no five-star polish here, but staying somewhere the staff know your name, really care about doing everything they can and having a great experience staying somewhere really made the trip for us.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple