“Quiet hidden gem”

Ranked #20 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Vancouver, Canada
“Quiet hidden gem”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel! We were only here for 1 night but we were extremely pleased. The staff (Deedee) was a sweetheart and a pleasure to meet. She took great care of us and made us a delicious breakfast. Our flight out was late in the evening and they were very accommodating by letting us extend our checkout time. We also met the French owner who came by and greeted all of us. Having the bike rentals right at the front door was very convenient. Overall a fantastic experience! Thank you.

Room Tip: If there is 4 of you ask for the very first bungalow that's located right by the entrance.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

3 Thank princhipessaY
baansukreepresort, Propriétaire at Baan Sukreep - Zen Garden Cottages, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
thank you to you to votyre stay home and we wish you a good result in your journey
management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed at the Baan Sukreep Resort in Feb 2014 as a solo traveler. I had mixed thoughts about my stay and will try outline my experience as objectively as possible. I was lead to the hotel via TripAdvisor recommendation feature because I wanted to stay on the beach. This hotel is not on the beach. It's not really by the beach either, as the beach is at least a 10 minute walk away.

When I checked in there was confusion about my reservation. Simply put, they had no record of my reservation even though it had been confirmed through Expedia. I even had a printout to prove so. The hotel manager Fred was not there that night (nor was the owner) and the woman working spoke little English. Communication was stressful. I could tell we were getting frustrated with each other, but after each exchange I smiled and conveyed I was not angry. Thankfully, this eased the situation along until we reached common ground. The argument was over my passport, she wanted to 'hold' it overnight. I believed this was unreasonable. The owner posted previously that the passport was simple collateral until the room is paid in full, but my room was already paid in full. There was no reason for them to hold my passport. I've stayed at hotels on just about every continent (Asia, America, Middle East, Europe, Asia), heck even in the exclusion zone of Chernobyl, and never before has anyone asked me to surrender my passport for the length of my stay. I will agree it's normal for a hotel to make a copy of your passport, but it is not normal for them to take possession of it. After arguing they accepted my passport copy. Not a great way to start the night. I asked if they could fetch me a hotel and they said it was too late - Note it is before 10pm at this point and town is a very long walk involving a very steep hill.

The next day I met the manager Fred. Fred's a great guy who made me feel at home during my stay. He speaks English perfectly and is very congenial. I had breakfast and enjoyed sitting by the pool. A few notes - breakfast there is fantastic, really was one of my favorite breakfasts on the island. I ended up handing over my passport (against my better judgement) because I needed to rent a bike given the location. That's when the problem started. I was staying at the Baan Sukreep Resort for two nights and several nights at other hotels scattered throughout the island. I kept the bike beyond my stay with permission from the staff. When I returned the bike, the owner insisted there was damage. At first he wanted 500 baht, which is the disclosed price for damage to plastic. In a jam and needing to get to the airport, I said okay. That's when he started pointing to other pieces of plastic and demanded over 5,000 baht. The number actually kept going up. At this point he was just being ridiculous. In hindsight watching him get all animated was rather amusing though. Fred and I settle up and I get extorted out of several thousand baht. Okay, fine. I ask if he can fetch me a cab...he's not able to. I ask if I can at least join them for breakfast. Nope, after forking over thousands of baht he won't even give me a piece of bacon. All I can say is, wow.

Pros:

+The hotel is located away from the busy Chaweng Beach. If you're looking for a quiet place away from the action, this place may be nice
+At $50 USD a night, the price is reasonable
+Breakfast really is fantastic here
+Fred, the manager, really is a first class conceirge and attentive to your needs
+The pool is nice, but it is small. If many guests
+When the owner gets angry at guests, the free show he puts on is rather entertaining

Cons:

-The owner is rude, unprofessional, short tempered, and runs a very poor business. His behavior is what you would expect from a loan shark

-The hotel is not near the beach. You can not hear, sea, or even feel the ocean from the property

-Units are NOT well maintained. There is evidence of mold in some units. If you let management know during working hours though they are attentive

-The hotel is away from everything. There is no convenience store, restaurant, or anything within a reasonable walk

-The hotel will not assist you with hailing a cab. This is so crazy it sounds made up, but I swear it was my experience numerous times while staying there. Apparently they have a contract with a single cab driver. If he's ill or out, you're out of luck. They will tell you to walk to the main road (with your bags) and fetch a cab.

-The units are run down. Fred is great at fixing stuff and immediately fixed the issues I reported, but these things should be fixed prior to check in. I had no problems with hot water though.

-There is no staff available off hours, even in cases of emergency! If you have any problem, you are on your own and they will not help you. One couple left their key at the front desk when going to a full moon party (coincidently I was with them) and when we returned no one was at the front desk. They eventually tried reaching the owner, who pretended not to understand what they were saying (the husband couple spoke Spanish as well as English fine). The owner speaks French, so the husband started speaking elementary French only to be told he should sleep by the pool. Honestly, I think the owner knew exactly what was begin said to him in English - he was just pretending not to understand. After the call ended I helped them get in their unit using a coat hanger to unlock the window (the rooms are not secure) - there was no way I was going to bail on a fellow traveler in need. What's scary is that they keep people's passports and are not available at night

-They may extort you for fees for damages and will hold your passport until you pay up

-If you rent a bike from them (you will need some form of transportation given the location of the resort), be prepared to pay up for damages of some sort. And what they will collect is tremendously inflated (in my case the owner began by demanding over 5,000 baht, the amount actually kept going up once he realized I was willing to do anything to get my passport back)

-Walls are thin allowing smoke and noise to enter the unit from surrounding areas

-As another guest indicated, the pool is open all night. If a bunch of full moon partiers come back at 4am and want a dip...good luck getting sleep.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
28 Thank freekboy
baansukreepresort, Propriétaire at Baan Sukreep - Zen Garden Cottages, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
We strongly disagree with this opinion because the client has initially notice on February 20 on tripadvisor with maximum compliments and then made ​​his scooter that he had let the day after his stay break everything , so it is biensur a request to pay reparations and the latter retorted that he had put a good review so do not think to pay ....... a story make you sourrire finally if you want .. so therefore it to withdraw its opinion tripadvisor to deliver another five days after completely different to harm to our establishment , something completely contrary to regulations and we took care to mention the site tripadvisor.en effect our establishment is in a quiet location and close from the beach , we offer a fleet of rental scooter our customers but as this practice among all renters are asked to settle your passport and miscellaneous expenses if you have had an accident while simplement.Apres , that is true that not always meet good people and not always honest .
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Extremely friendly staff. Manager Fred, DeeDee andh her husband JoJo were very helpful, and we feel ourselves like the family. Very quiet territory. There is also motorbike rental service with almost brand new motorbikes (mine has only 500 km on odometer) They also have innovative pool cleaning system. The pool does not smell chlorine like many others do. Our villa has water heater so we had no problems with hot water at all.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

4 Thank Maxim D
baansukreepresort, Propriétaire at Baan Sukreep - Zen Garden Cottages, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
we want to thank you for your visit to our resort and your pleasant presence during these three weeks with your wife and your son, and hope to be seeing you soon on the island of Koh Samui.
Friendly. Management Team and the resort baan Sukreep
Reviewed 12 February 2014

+ Really helpful friendly staff. Dee Dee is an absolute gem.
+ Very Clean
+ Food Great
+ Laundry service
+ Wifi reception good

- Up a small hill very low gradient easily walked, However some taxis will not bring you up or will charge you extra so organize this before you get in.

The style of the accommodation is traditional so we are talking huts here with little balconies. This is obviously a personal preference

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
I wanted to thank you for the attention and focus on our review teams during a transmis.en was hoping to see you soon on koh samui
Laceby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This resort hotel is set off the main road by about 100m and so transport (car or motobike) are essential. The resort is hidden behind high walls, but once inside is a Thai version of a Japanese garden, beautifully lit at night.
We stayed in one of two bungalows which had a kitchen/living room, bedroom and bathroom. All quite spacious if a little old fashioned.
The restaurant has a limited choice and should only be used if you are desperate.
A real annoyance is the inability to pay by card. Only cash is acceptable. Why don't the booking agents tell you this? A further annoyance was the withholding of my passport until I had paid. Very naughty as I had been told it would be returned on day two.

Room Tip: There are two bungalows and lots of cabins
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chrisj1947
baansukreepresort, Propriétaire at Baan Sukreep - Zen Garden Cottages, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for choosing our resort during your stay on koh samui, and take note of your opinion.
we wish to provide some explanations for the small inconveniences that you shared with us. Regarding card payment, failure of our terminal that occurred during your stay in thailand and interventions may take a few days as several weeks delay independent of our will, and we're really sorry.
  As mentioned on the site booking, the stay must be paid on arrival, so we keep the passport until the balance is not regularized normal and common practice in hotelerie.
Our restaurant serves breakfast as mentioned on our website, European and Thai map, and we understand that a different cuisine can sastisfaire everyone. We hope to have provided all the answers to our future travelers

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Very nice resort. Relaxing and soothing atmosphere. The staff were extremely kind and constantly making sure that everyone was having a lovely time. The bungalows were well organised and well built, very homy. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking to get away from the dull every day life.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

baansukreepresort, Propriétaire at Baan Sukreep - Zen Garden Cottages, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
a big thank you for your stay in our little paradise and hoping to see you again strongly
friendly

veronique and jean marc
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Our accommodation was effectively a hut (aka a tropical bungalow). There was a hard king sized bed in there with just enough room to walk around and nowhere to put our bags. There was a damp smell as we first walked in after checking in. The walls were stapled together and the AC unit occasionally leaked. It was a 10-15 min journey by cab to what you would consider to be Chaweng proper, although there were one or two small shops within walking distance. The staff were very nice, but we did find it strange that guests were told they could not change their towels daily as it would create too much laundry. I 100% understand and support ecologically sound hotel policies but when a guest asks for new towels you can't say no.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellerAmbler
baansukreepresort, Propriétaire at Baan Sukreep - Zen Garden Cottages, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
we thank you for your passage in our resort, and concerning your remarks, we simply want to indicate that the information on the location of our resort is very well to indicate on booking websites thus no surprise for our customers concerning the distance has 10mm of chaweng, also on your accommodation(housing) hard and to dress in bamboo, all the photos are prensentent on sites thus always any surprise for our clients.nous let us think indeed that you certainly are not to accustom has this type(chap) of accommodation(housing) and to preferer certainly hotel chains, with much less charm.
Concerning the change of hand towels, as in every hotel we remplacons only the dirty towels(briefcases) and has the demand(request) of the customer, this fact I think that you were certainly sad with the language of the thailande, to make your demand(request) with our staff.
On your accommodation(housing) indeed that this and very hard with a dressing in bamboo, typical it thaillande and, to see choice and mention on quite our booking websites, it is simply enough to look well at photos, after you never have we to mention flight(leak) of climatiation or other inconveniences in ....... I thinks that hotel chains correspond better has your type(chap) of accommodation(hosting) for your next vacancy. We stay has the listening of our customers and I wish all the best to you
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,383 reviews
Boujis Boutique Resort
Boujis Boutique Resort
#37 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Baan Sukreep - Zen Garden Cottages? Share your experiences!