“Had a lovely stay, just the kind of place we had hoped for” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sarann

The Sarann
Ranked #39 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Bangkok, Thailand
“Had a lovely stay, just the kind of place we had hoped for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

We stayed at The Sarann for one week and really enjoyed everything that the hotel had to offer. It's a small hotel, which is what we were looking for. It's on Chaweng Noi beach which is a very nice quiet beach but going into town (the town is not the nicest part of the island) is not a long ride either. Personally we preferred staying out of town and just chilling on nice quiet beaches like this one and there are some good restaurants on the beach around here anyway. Because this hotel is a small hotel it doesn't provide a lot of facilities that a big international chain would, but we had a nice room, good food, beach, spa, free wifi and that's about all we need. Yes the swimming pool is on the small side and they don't have more room for more sun beds, but we just walked 2 minutes to the beach, lay our towels on the sand and enjoyed the sun and sand, and it was absolutely gorgeous.

All in all I would recommend The Sarann if you are looking something local, small yet tasteful. If you are used to big hotel chains Samui has quite a few of them now but I found this type of place a lot more charming.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank supimano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

I stayed in the Jacuzzi Suite and it is gorgeous with lots of space. Also got a massage down the road at The Carnation House http://www.samuimassageservice.co.th/ and they are fantastic as well as cheap. We saw no sun the whole week as there was a Monsoon but we still enjoyed ourselves in this hotel, was very worth it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

Oh my god. Is all I have to say!!!!

After getting married in Phuket (In which we stayed in a 3 star resort) we were very excited to arrive in Koh Samui and stay at The Sarann. We thought we would pay extra for accommodation and "splash out" a bit for our honeymoon.

Boy were we wrong! Upon arriving to The Sarann we proceeded to the reception desk to check in. We were not greeted with a smile nor did we feel belcome from the start. We informed reception staff that we were there to check in and we had booked our accommodation VIA asiarooms.com.au. They looked confused.
I continued to tell them we had booked online and that we wanted to check into our room.
The lady at the front counter then asked me to pop around to her computer, take a seat, log into my email and show me my reservation. I couldnt believe this as after a long flight, it was not my responsibility to keep tabs on incoming guests and reservations that had been booked. I logged into my email and showed her my asia rooms confirmation and she then checked us in.

I really dont understand this, I call it lack of organisation. Surely they should be keeping a record of the bookings? How unprofessional!

When we arrived in our Jacuzzi suite, it stunk. It smelt like someone had just gone to the toilet in our room. It was unbearable! We couldnt believe this as the 3 star resort we stayed in Phuket was already way ahead of the Sarann.

We couldnt even open the doors to let some fresh air in as the amount of mosquitoes around this resort is very, very bad.

Also, forget about EVER using the jacuzzi, as I said there are too many insects to physically sit in an outdoor jacuzzi- DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

We had then asked them to come and unlock the safe for us so we could safely store our passports and documents. They promised to send someone from the desk THREE TIMES and i can assure you, nobody ever came.

The following morning we decided to check out this "picturesque infinity pool" so headed down. This was yet another disappointment. Please note, they dont have any other swimming facilities, the infinity pool IS IT. The pool area itself and the pool were filthy, we werent prepared to swim in there. Also dirty towels etc were scattered around the pool as well as random glasses and ciggarette butts. (Meanwhile reception staff were too busy on facebook to even care!) GROSS.

The beach that the resort overlooks is not that great, please dont get your hopes up. The water is quite rough and choppy and isnt the best beach for swimming or relaxing.

On numerous occasions we tried to hire the resorts motorbike to get around. You would call reception to book it and one girl would say they were all booked out but when going to reception we could see motorbikes not being used. We asked again at reception and a different girl would say they were available. Just so hard to deal with and communicate, they really dont go out of there way to exceed customer expectations.

We would NEVER go back to this resort and it ruined our whole Koh Samui experience!

Shocking!!!!!!!!!!!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2011

I honestly do NOT understand how on earth The Sarann has received so many positive reviews in the past. Anyway, I can assure Trip Advisor readers that the “high” quality previous travellers did experience definitely belongs to the past. Please don't get me wrong: I'm honestly happy that other travellers had such a positive experience but personally I would NEVER EVER even consider staying @ The Sarann again or recommend it to friends, family or travellers.

Why not? Well, I’ll try to keep it short.
We stayed 1 week (X-mas 2010) @ The Sarann and experienced 7 days of mediocre customer service. We initially booked a Jacuzzi Villa but ended up upgrading to the private pool villa to avoid the TERRIBLE TRAFFIC NOISE we otherwise would have had to endure.

• Primary issue: TRAFFIC NOISE!!!!! Please be aware that ALL the villa’s (except the private pool villa’s which fall in the category 1st = front line ocean) that are at the 2nd and 3rd line have to endure traffic noise!! On occasion even massive noise because the highway is right behind the 3rd line villa’s. And the villa’s, all of them, are constructed without noise reduction properties (of course). Be aware: the 3rd line villa’s are the cheapest and that’s for a reason!
• The pool villa’s are most definitely overpriced. Yes, we did compare prices by visiting some other resorts which were unfortunately fully booked. Thus, the craving need for silence and peace was the only - I repeat ONLY! - motivator to upgrade.
• The manager simply refused to come with a reasonable proposal for compensation of the experienced inconvenience. Actually, after having complained to him on the phone, he promised (on our request, not part of his proactive service) to be present the next day to speak about the matter in person. Guess what? He never showed up and didn’t even bother to inform us of his absence. Of course I requested a follow-up call but he simply refused to talk to us on the phone. How rude!
• On a more abstract level of customer service the following. The above shows that guests/customers (for whatever reason) are NOT being taking seriously. Pity and shameful!
• The Sarann is old, outdated, ramshackle and terribly lacks maintenance. E.g. the doors and windows don’t close properly or don’t close at all. The resort could use a lot more than a paint brush. Please deduct 1,5 star rating immediately.
• The restaurant: the quality of the food & beverages was mediocre. I have to say in all honestly that the restaurant staff was more friendly than the reception staff.
• The pool isn’t that spectacular at all. The pictures on the website are simply deceiving. By the way this applies to ALL pictures.
• In all honesty I seriously got the impression that the staff isn’t trained properly. This is so shameful because these Thai people are so nice and friendly and in their hearts they are of lovely nature, really! I really want/need to emphasize this. It would help if the staff could be properly trained in English and engaging Customer Service.

Unfortunately I can spend my Euro’s only once, thus as far as I’m concerned The Sarann will NEVER EVER get a second chance to make a(n) (first) impression!

RMTheSarann, ผู้จัดการ at The Sarann, responded to this review, 17 January 2011
Dear GlobeTraveler1973

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments in reference to your stayed at The Sarann. I am so sorry I did not have a change to meet with you in person to find the way to ensure your happiness.

The Sarann location is away from busy Chaweng center and it is our good point, customers convenience to go to Chaweng or shoppng center whever want .We accepted that our Deluxe room on the 3 line is effected to the noise sometimes , but to make the guest satisfictation, we always do an upgrade to Jacuzzi or pool villa as you have got with no extra charge.I regret you did not find this acceptable for an upgrade .
We are continue doing renovation the whole year as we are on tropical country it is quite difficult to keep wooden material well maintain at all time.

We do apologize if your stayed here was not up to your satisfaction, The comments regarding to above matter is well noted and we will use these comments to further train and improve our team.

Best regards,
Ms. Jintana Saenphakdee
Resident Manager
Victoria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

Have to error on the negative side as like the previous rating we were greeted with a distinct sewage smell everytime we entered our room. The other note was there were numerous times we felt we were interupting front counter staffs personal web surfing and in just about every case they hid behind lack of english comprehension as an excuse to make little effort to resolve problems. We dined at the restaurant the first night and it was so bland we avoided it the rest of our stay. I suspect the front row got the feeling of being waterfront but that isn't the case in the other 2 rows. It was a very short walk onto the beach beside the Sarann but of course there is no beach here and the layout doesn't even maximize the water view. Not terrible but still the worst we faced on our trip.

1 Thank ScottC
RMTheSarann, ผู้จัดการทั่วไป at The Sarann, responded to this review, 17 January 2011
Dear Simonmon

Thank you for your comments.The comments are well noted and we will use these comments to further improve our service levels.

Best regards,
Ms. Jintana Saenphakdee
Resident Manager
Darwin, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2010

At first glance, the Sarann offers a picturesque setting nestled upon the headland of Chaweng Noi Beach. With Immaculate presentation and a view to die for, my partner and I stepped into reception and knew we were in for a treat. How wrong we were.

After recently backpacking around Australia for 11 months and living solely in a campervan, I had very limited expectations (a bed with sheets would have sufficed), however Thailand for us, was a chance to unwind and live it up in the lap of luxury. If a resort has been rated four and a half stars, you expect to get a four and a half star stay.

Our Jacuzzi Suit, putting it nicely, was a mix and match of dated decor which was accompanied by cheesy mood lighting that made the room look like an 80's era film noir set. The room's outlay appeared to have been designed by an obsessive compulsive, with more sinks and bathtubs that you could find time to indulge in. The slatted curtains seemed an unnecessary feature as no amount of refracted sunlight would ever make it through the tall concrete walls surrounding the courtyard, let alone the towering horizon of ocean front villas. All this is irrespective of the most evident qualm, the smell. Upon entering the room, you are immediately reminded of the streets of Patong beach, and half expecting to see two open sewer pipes dripping into a cesspool.

Unable to locate the source of the smell of raw sewerage, we backed out of our plans for room service and instead, went out for dinner. We had mentioned the issue to the staff at reception prior to leaving, so expected a resolution on our return. Instead we had a room that smelt even more than before. The air-conditioner had apparently ceased to work while we were out and as a result, the room was now muggy and humid, with the smell sticking like glue in our nostrils.

Once again we complained to reception, and once again they promised an imminent resolution, that resulted in us sleeping the night in a steamy cesspit. The following day management had informed us that the aircon and smell will be resolved by the evening, so we spent the day out and about in Koh Samui.

After a fantastic and culturally enriching day we returned to the Sarann, completely exhausted, only to be told we weren't able to go to our room as the issue had still not been resolved. Instead we were asked to retrieve our bags, after which we would be driven to an alternative resort. This was not only just an inconvenience, more importantly, it was a completely unexpected service failure of an alleged four and a half star resort.

Once our disrupted night was behind us, and we had been ferried back to the Sarann the following morning, we demanded to speak to management. Firstly we were curious as to where we would be sleeping for the rest of our stay, then i had to virtually beg for some form of compensation for what i believed was beyond shoddy service. I respectfully asked for a room upgrade, desirably a pool villa, however once again unexpectedly this was not to be granted. We did receive a room, which was explained to us as an upgrade, yet it appeared almost identical to our previous room. The aircon was working, at least, and the smell of sewerage was less evident. Confused and feeling a little vilified, I continued to try my luck with management for a more equitable upgrade, only to be told that "it was out of his hands" and that "the owner of the resort demanded that we pay full price for any upgrade." I explained to the manager over and over again the inconvenience and disruption of our stay so far, and all the time he responded with juvenile yet suitable for his age comments about how he "told the staff to fix the problem" and that it simply wasn't his fault.

This is a resort where it is necessary I presume, to stay in the very best room at the very highest rates, in order to receive anything close to a four and a half star service. Don't be fooled by the significantly edited photo's promoting their rooms, as a decent SLR can make even a sewer pipe look attractive.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simonmon
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2010

3 Nights at The Sarann. Great chic villa with spacious rooms and bathrooms.
Great english speaking staff and cleanliness is fantastic.

Quiet place and a hidden gem at Chaweng Noi. 10 mins away from Chaweng but appreciate the serenity it delivers. Sea view villa with a pool enough for me and my partner to enjoy ourselves and felt luxurious..

Only downside is the WiFi is hard to dectect or undectable at the sunning decks of our villa. Nothing else I can fault them and thanks to The Sarann, we will visit Samui again.