“Good location, strange smell”
Review of Nora Chaweng Hotel

Nora Chaweng Hotel
Ranked #64 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
New York City, New York
“Good location, strange smell”
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We arrived a little late at night and the staff was very accommodating towards us and everything was in working order. We were 3 people and asked for 3 beds but had a twin with a cot. Sorta sucked, but no big deal. We paid about $32/night each which included the free wifi and breakfast. The breakfast was AWESOME - they had everything you usually get, the omelette stand, cereals, etc and it was all delicious. The location is also superb, just a little north of the busier part of Chaweng which has a bunch of bars and restaurants and even a McDonald's.

The only downsides were the strange mildewy smell that the hallways had and the fact that it wasn't on the beach. In order to go to the beach, you have to cross the road and walk on the path of another hotel. It was a little annoying, but totally worth it. It's one of the cheapest hotels in the area and the walk wasn't so bad once you got to see the breathtaking water.

I'd probably do a little more research next time I visit Koh Samui, but this is definitely a great option.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank LovelyLudwig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We loved the Nora hotel! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, although the hotel is not directly on the beach it is just across the street. It is located in a pretty touristy area with many bars and restaurants just down the road but we still managed to have a great sleep undisturbed by any noise. I would definitely come back here if I return to Koh Samui, it was well worth the money ! (check agoda for great prices!)

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank AndreaV21
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I Loved my stay at this hotel. It is close to the ocean near shopping and restaurants. The rooms were morden and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. Even late at night, the staff was friendly and helped to give ideas of what to do the next day. There english was good. The free breakfast buffet was wonderful. I would recommend to anybody traveling to koh Samui to stay at this hotel. I want to Thank the Hotel manager that helped us and all the staff that took care of us when we were there. I will stay here again on my next vacation here.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Texan95
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I have booked a night here during my business trip. First of all when i walked into the room I was disappointed as it's nothing like in the picture plus the smell was not so impressed! The furniture looks quite old even though it's a new hotel. The Air condition makes noise in the night time and point right into you ,but luckily we were so tired so we was be able to sleep. The bath room curtain cannot close as everyone can see you naked from the outside so we decided to hang the tower up because we don't want to bother dealing with the front desk anymore after long fight with them. The story was that when we checked in the morning I was only one who did and the rest was in the car waiting as we have to hurry to go to the meeting. Finally we came back from the long day of work around 10pm and they saw us walk in with 3 people so they asked how many would stay. We said 3 and walked up to our room. Then we got a call from them asking to pay 1000 Baht for extra people. I said i wouldn't pay 1000 Baht for a room like this and they insist us to pay since we didn't follow the rules. I said i will complaint and they didn't even care! they said you have already booked the room and you can complain all you want! However, I understand and was about packing my stuff to check out and then again someone knocking on the door which is pretty rude! One of the front desk (named Ann) she was the reason that make everything so horrible here! so she came up and asked us to go and talk with manager down stair. Once again i was packing and 2 minutes later they call again and ask when will I leave? I was pissed at the time since we had a long day, we didn't stay all day at the hotel until 10pm and treated by an impolite front desk and i wasn't happy at all. so yes...at 11pm i got kick out so i went to another guesthouse as i always stay when I’m in Samui for Holiday and it's soooo lovely and wayyyyy better than this one. Seriously! i paid 500 Baht a night and the room was bigger, cheaper and staff was so friendly, etc. It's a nightmare for me and 2 of my co-workers which are all girls. >< DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!! and NO i will NEVER come back or stay at this chain anymore.

Room Tip: just don't stay here that's the tip! book somewhere else. If you are looking for cheap guest...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank morakot a

Travellers are raving about these Chaweng hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 November 2011

The staffs are friendly and I managed to check in immediately without any glitches as October is off-season with few people occupying the hotel. However, there was this stentch smell, it wasn’t that annoying and I got used to the smell after a while. I found a travel agency beside the hotel and a 7 Eleven store about 5 minutes walk away, excellent for single travellers with everything at my doorstep.

Damage: 1680 baht per night (SGD$70) without breakfast (come with free wifi at the room)

Check out this link for more info and photos:

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank TayChris
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I think there are often mixed reviews, because guests have been paying different prices.

I paid around 30€, which is something like 1200 Baht, per night at the Nora Chaweng. For that price it was the best value I got in Thailand.

The location is great if you wanna be in the middle of the action. It is located on the upper part of Chaweng. It isn't situated right on the beach, but you only have to cross the street and walk 2minutes to get to the sea.

The rooms were very nice, clean and new, with a modern design interior. At night it was a bit loud from the noises of the Chaweng road, but I didn't mind.

The staff was very nice and when I rented a car I also very much appreciated the underground parking with a security guard who even helps you to merge onto the road (be careful of the crazy traffic).

I didn't use the pool but it looked nice. It only didn't seem to be very good for tanning as it is mostly shadowy.

The Nora Chaweng was also the only hotel in Thailand except for the Intercontinental Bangkok, that offered a free and working internet connection.

If you're looking to be in the middle of all action, this is definitely a recommendation. If you wanna have a relaxing, romantic vacation you should probably look for another place.

By the way to avoid some confusion, there are something like 4 Nora Hotels on Koh Samui. This is the Nora Chaweng Hotel (not resort!).

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank LeonTLV
Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Koh Samui is probably my least favorite of the islands however this hotel made my stay much better. This hotel offers the best value for money in Koh Samui. Its location is perfect aand there is an excellent restaurant just across the road, the reception staff were very welcoming. The food was very good in the restaurant by the pool however the staff in this particular area were not very pleasant. The rooms are very spacious, clean and well designed. All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank dkav
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Iyara Beach Hotel & Plaza
Chaweng Garden Beach Resort
Chaba Samui Resort
Chaba Samui Resort
#31 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Nora Chaweng Hotel? Share your experiences!