Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Cat K

Not 5 stars by any stretch of the imagination!

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 17 Sept 2012
Where do I begin? If this was advertised as a 3 star resort I would have fewer complaints, but when you say you are a five star you invite this kind of criticism. I know what 5 stars is and this is NOT it. Our welcome was less than warm, the room was really substandard in decor and cleanliness, (see photos), the food was not good, and the service throughout was lacking. The room didn't even have central air and we were kept awake by the very noisy A/C wall unit as well as toilet running very loudly. The room layout is very impractical, especially the bathroom. In addition to the issues with the room and service, the location is terrible. It is not within walking distance of anything and the hotel is on an incredibly steep cliff spanning two sides of the street with most of the rooms across the street from the beach. It is very precarious walking to and from the rooms higher up on the street. Even the bellman driving the golf cart was scared driving down the hill.

This was also the only place we visited in Thailand, where the service is usually fantastic, that did absolutely nothing to make our honeymoon special. Everywhere else we were treated to sweets, personal notes, wine or champagne and even room upgrades. Here, we were not even congratulated by the staff. In fact, upon arrival, I wanted to discuss a room upgrade, which I was willing to pay for, before being escorted to a standard room. The staff sent me away very dismissively telling me to go sit in the lobby until a bellman came to escort us to our room. After having wasted 15 minutes seeing the first room, they finally quoted us a price for the upgrade. We agreed to it, they showed us the new room and when I decided to book it they told us they had given us the wrong information and tripled the price of the upgrade. I would have left then and there if the booking had been even partially refundable. Thank goodness we were only here for 2 nights. Couldn’t wait to leave!
Date of stay: September 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1.0 of 5 bubblesValue
1.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
GMBRS, Manager at Bhundhari Resort & Villas Samui, responded to this review
Responded 20 Sept 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for this candid feedback, I have shared all of these with my team, those areas where we had fallen short or not come up to our guests expectations were rectified immediately.

We provide a very different experience, small animals, trees, and vegetation all around you, yes some do wonder into your shower, this is part of the experience, we are in nature, our villas are not built from bricks and modern materials, like most other modern classy hotels they also do not have outdoor showers etc. Its a shame that travelers unacquainted with a certain product and it's values, then try to insist that all is not good, real time comments on experiences not based on emotion are of a greater value to help us Improve our guest experiences.

With regards to your dining experience, sorry it did not appeal to your palate, most of our guests find the large selection of dishes at dining on the Hill (The Bay) and at dining on the beach (The Pearl) very delicious and praise the quality of our food.

Thank you for pointing out the rust which appeared on the Terrazzo (2010), this was very difficult to remove first we had to replace the cement, part of our ongoing maintenance program ensures this is closely monitored to prevent it occurring again.

However as we have no record of your stay and the photos that you put up seem to be old ones dating back to a review several months ago, I fail to see how your review could be excepted as constructive.

We do hope that you will consider staying with us at some point, we would certainly like to prove that we are worthy of your patronage.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Best Regards
    £79
  • Vio.com
0.1 miles from Bhundhari Resort & Villas Samui
View more hotels in Chaweng
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Had some issues with the AC in our room (leaking and not cold enough), but the staff were very happy to help and moved us to a better room with a great view and great AC. The rooms were large and clean, beds super comfy. the best part of our stay was the staff working at the resort who were always friendly and more than happy to help with any request. We also took a Thai cooking class overlooking the beach and it was great as well. This resort is a little way out from the hustle and bustle of Chaweng so it is quiet, but only a 50 baht per person tuk tuk ride to Chaweng. Can also recommend Mr Max (taxi driver) who took us on a full day tour around the island for a great price - only 1500 baht for approx 10 hours. Mr Max ph: 08 3646 2235.

12  Thank Lailu80
GMBRS, Manager at Bhundhari Resort & Villas Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words, its is so nice to here that my staff helped make your experiance at Bhundhari one to remember. I am eqaly happy that you enjoyed our Thai Cooking class, this is very popular with our guest and like so many others im sure you will be hosting your own Thai themed night catering for your own guest at home. We wish you all the very best and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

I found an inexpensive five star hotel "mystery deal" on Asiawebdirect (similar to Hotwire) while searching for hotels in Koh Samui. The price was great, so I took a chance and got Bhudhari. They put us in really subpar room probably because this was a part of the "mystery deal" promotion. The veranda was about 10 feet from the linen storage room so we witnessed endless traffic of hotel staff.

The resort grounds are excellent with good flora. Nice little ponds with lotus flowers. The open air lobby was very inviting and grand. There many small and large pools - one with a swim up bar. There was no salt or chlorine in the pool water which I really liked - not sure how they cleaned the water thought. There is beach right behind the hotel with hardly any people but the sand quality of the beach is marsh-like and water was very cloudy.

The service was mixed. The check-in process slow - the staff seemed confused not sure for what reasons. Also, when I asked to see if they can have warm water in the Jacuzzi they said yes but nothing happened even after two requests so I gave up.

The breakfast was really top-notch. I especially like the omlette station - the lady there made nice spicy omelettes with Thai chills every morning - thank you!

One thing to note is that this is about 10 minute taxi ride from the main Chaweng beach so your choices of restaurants is limited unless you go to Chaweng. It's easy to get taxis to Chawen for 50 bahts.

Overall, not bad for the price.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
9  Thank Zwander

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel regarding your "mystery deal" ,We are happy that you had a flawless stay and enjoyed our products and services offered and sincerely look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

We stayed at the Bhundare for 5 nights in Sept and found the staff very friendly and helpful, and responded well if you could say a thankyou, hello and goodnight in Thai. The rooms were comfortable with nice views. The many pools were a definate plus as was the beach area. The umbrellas were somewhat small and there is a need to provide larger ones. Although there were 'golf carts' to transport you on the steep hills, we found the many steps quite difficult to cope with for the elderly or anyone with problem knees. The location of the Resort is a little out of the way from the main Chaweng Beach shopping/restuarant area, but there are regularly 'tuk tuk's' to and from the Resport. The breakfast area was very pleasant and the food provided was of good quality and variety.

Room tip: Rooms on the high side of the road are preferable and if you have a problem with steps avoid the upper floors.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank Hugh B

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for your concise and kind review towards our hotel. We are glad to note that you had a pleasant stay and look forward to your next stay.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 September 2012

We recently stayed at the resort for 10 nights, staff were very friendly and attentative upon arrival, nothing was a problem (carting us to and from our rooms) but standards did slip during our stay. The buffet breakfast was ok for the first few days but did not change or add variety. Also the first few mornings at breakfast we were asked when we arrived if we would like tea or coffee and it was served at our table, but later during our stay we had to ask the staff for coffee with breakfast. We also found the house keeping a little miss, some days we didn't recieve a bathmat in our room our days it was the towels. Would not recommend dining at the resort as the food was over priced and food tasted below average - not to mention the 17% tax. The rooms were nice, with a view.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank lilyc23
GMBRS, Manager at Bhundhari Resort & Villas Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I was very concerned to learn of the unacceptable level of service which you and your partner experienced while staying with us. Certainly your first experience's reflects our normal level of service which we try to deliver in a personalized and attentive manner.

Naturally I called for a full investigation on all the points you raised and a series of actions and retraining has been put in place to ensure that such inconsistencies do not reoccur.

May I add that I appreciate your feedback, as it has alerted certain failures upon which we can build a more consistent service delivery.

With Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 September 2012

My experience with Bhundari was that if you could speak Thai you would be ok.
Right after arriving i was told i would have to either pay in full or a 10% deposit, despite paying uofront when i booked almost a month before traveling.
The staff at the bars and restaurant were absolutely amazing and friendly, however if you expect house keeping to do their jobs don't bet on it.

As I was checking out my taxi driver got a call saying that the minibar in my fridge needed to be payed, I assumed that staff would do their job and restock the bar and keep a tab, nope.
House keeping don't take out a fruit platter that's been in tropical heat for 10 days.
I see the same rubbish outside for a week, soap scum in the bath, clogged shower, and to top it off the receptionist had the balls to tell me the bathroom was dirty.
House keeping have not cleaned my room for days at a time.

If I wanted to clean my own shower and toilet I would have stayed home, good experience but not great.
Don't expect anything in a hurry they take their time to do anything.

Date of stay: August 2012
2  Thank Sabrelicious
GMBRS, Manager at Bhundhari Resort & Villas Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Dear Guest,

It is with regret to note that you faced unpleasant situations during your stay with us. Your feedback has raised my concern in many areas. I will personally investigate these matters for you and take necessary action to rectify and improve accordingly. Thank you for bringing these issues regarding HK to my attention. I hope you will allow us to provide you better hospitality service next time.