“Great Location”

Ranked #36 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Aberdeen
“Great Location”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We decided to stay longer in Koh Samui and then managed to walk into this hotel and they had rooms available for the nights we required. When we checked in they stated that they had upgraded us, which was great news.

The rooms we were provided were huge, they had a living area, bedroom, shower room and wash room, more of an apartment. We were overlooking the pool area, which is small but beautiful. We even got fruit in our rooms. WIFI worked within the room with no issues, even worked when we were watching a Muay Thai fight in the building behind. If I was being picky the living area did have a musty smell as though someone had been smoking in there for years and they had tried to disguise it.

Muay Thai Boxing arena is next door to the hotel and about 5 minutes walk there is a strip with restaurants, shops, massage etc. The beach is about 10 minutes walk too, I believe there is a shuttle bus that can take you too, however we did not utilise this.

The thing that lets them down in this hotel is the breakfast it is pretty rubbish. You arrive and the staff don't acknowledge you. You have no idea what's on offer. There are trays of supposed to be hot food that is lying there and if you ask they will light something underneath the trays. They are supposed to start breakfast at 630am, however they just start to put things out by about 640am and slowly at this.

Similar to previous posts due to the area of the rooms we were situated in the gardens, which is nice, however not if you are prone to be bitten by mosquitos. The hotel do provide a mosquito plug in and there are nets on the doors. I don't think it's the hotel's fault for this it's just nature unfortunately. We only stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, however would definitely go back to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Rayong, Thailand
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed here for 17 nights with our family and the first night we arrived I wanted to upgrade or leave. We couldn't do either so we made the best of it.

The rooms - 2 x poolside deluxe Well they were far from deluxe and yes we faced the pool but there was so much vegetation and trees in the way it blocked the view. The rooms were dark, old, musty smelling and the shower had no power and was in a fixed position. This meant it was placed so high I had to ask my husband to take it off the wall so I could use it. The whole bathroom area need a complete refurbishment. When the curtains were closed you couldn't tell if it was day or night, quite depressing really. The walls were dreary and dirty and the whole room needs to be gutted and start again. The one positive thing, was that the rooms were large!!!

Also the amount of gardens that surrounded each room only meant one thing - Mosquitos!!! When we arrived around 9pm both our rooms were full of ,Mosquitos, not a great start especially as we had a baby with us. Seeing the gardens and the fish ponds the next day was when we realised we just had to be careful. We couldn't even sit out on our balcony regardless of the time of day because of the mosquito. Having lived in Thailand for three years, mosquito time is usually around 5 -7 pm, unfortunately not here!

Breakfast - poor quality food! Really shocking. No fresh coffee, you had to make your own instant coffee or tea from the kettle. The white bread was cheap (I know as I saw the packet and it's from a supermarket), no bread options! The croissants also were the cheapest you could buy. I have bought better myself having lived in Samui for a year. As for the 'hot' food, bacon, sausages etc, was not hot or heated in the trays. One day some one asked for the bacon to be warmed so he could eat with his freshly cooked eggs so they warmed it in the pan. The trays that the food was kept in had heaters underneath but were unlit. Sometimes a coupe of Thai dishes would appear, noodles or chicken, but I always got the feeling that this was left over from the sister hotel and brought over to Le Murraya in the morning. The reason I say that, is the kitchen and bar was not equipped to cater for anything other than breakfast. My son in the first few days ordered chicken fried rice, the most easiest and cheapest dish in Thailand. It was overpriced and the chicken was poor quality, he didn't have it again. In fact he didn't even eat the breakfast after the first couple of days. The way the breakfast was laid out and the filthy table cloths it was laid on is something to behold. It was never changed or cleaned during our 17 night stay, it got dirtier.

Hence why I said in my title that I felt the hotel was winding down. It had nothing to offer apart from the lovely staff and their smiles. We went to the sister hotel Synergy most days as it was on the beach. Wow, what a contrast. It's obviously a new, high end hotel and a work in progress and seems all the time and effort is going into that hotel and Le Murraya was being drained before closing.

Room Tip: Of you do stay here, choose a room on the top floor away from the all day Mosquitos and stay in the...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank minxy22
Calgary
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel December 22 to 25, 2013.

PROS
-beautiful suite with terrace, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen (no stove, just a large fridge and sink with lots of cupboards)
-associated with a hotel that is on the beach and the hotel provides a free shuttle that will drive you there and back

CONS
-inconvenient location (except they have a shuttle that will transport you to an associated hotel on the beach)
-breakfast in the hotel restaurant has very small selection of food

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Trang Province, Thailand
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I booked this room during the Holiday season last minute and was pleasantly surprised.
All the rooms at other hotels, next to the beach, were sold out or waaaaay overpriced.

Le Murraya Boutique Hotel was still fairly priced and only 5 minutes from the beach. And, they share this beach with their sister hotel so guest may use free.

My view was quite nice with othing but palm trees with a peak of the swimming pool from my balcony. It was a very large room, with kitchen and very strong wifi.

Around the corner you will find good local food that is very tasty and cheap.

I'm a walker so I walked all the way to the hot spots within 20 minutes so the location is very accessible.

Downside: Don't break your coffee cup! They charged me for my broken coffee cup...200Baht! That was kind of petty of them, but then again, welcome to Thailand!

Oh...they have motorbikes for rent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank akastavros
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

My father made reservation for date month later. Ladies in reception solved our problem of accommodation unusually perfect, even though hotel was overbooked. Spacious rooms were for us suprise as well.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I hope they maintain the standard and this wont give them a reason to put the price up despite the great reviews/recommendation on trip advisor! Love this place and always my first choice when I'm in Ko Samui!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

After reading the reviews on this site, we requested a quite room. There was one night during our stay that the kick boxing was on, but it really did not bother us. Close to the beach and the chaweng strip. Staff where great, we felt this place was extremely good value for money. Will definitely come back and stay again on our next visit to Koh Samui

Room Tip: The Kick boxing Stadium next door is very noisy on "fight night" as others have suggested...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple