“They're Making their customers pay extra?!”

Ark Bar Beach Resort
Ranked #35 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Ark bar is a cool place to stay at! It's fun, hip and happening...but why the hell does this place that is raking in the gold need to be so damn stingy!
I'm talking two things in particular:
-The tea and coffee in the room
-The use of their pool
I love having a hot drink made by yours truly in my room, but one tea bag and one sachet of coffee per person may not be enough! My friend and I had one cup of tea during the day, and then we wanted another at night. So I went to reception to ask for two extra tea bags... 50 Baht was the answer. All I wanted was two tea bags - at the hotel I was trying to feel comfortable staying at - but 50 baht! Screw that!
The pool- be warned that if you invite a friend over, who doesn't stay here, to come chill with you at the pool, they will threaten to call the police on your friend if they don't pay 300 baht to use the pool. This happened to us. During low season. When possibly over 3/4 of the deck chairs around the pool, were NOT in use! Invited a friend to come chill and the staff pounced demanding my friend pay. Mind you, this friend comes to Ark Bar every night for drinks and dinner spending easily over 1000 baht! And they still gave her so much trouble and mentioned how they know she is a good customer! For anyone in customer service - take this tip- punish good customers- never reward, because Ark Bar is doing goddamn well by doing that!

• Stayed: October 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,540)

Reviewed 24 November 2013

This hotel has only two good things, the swimming pool with dj set and the beach which might not be the best one in Samui, but it has some good points.
For all the rest, there is nothing special to say.
Rooms are just ok, staff look quite unattentive and most of the travellers there are often drunk, so it might not be the safest hotel in the area.
Locationwise it is pretty good, but not value for money.
Not a place to rest, the bar has ongoing music all night long.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The hotel bar and beach was amazing for young travellers. They always have music pumping and they have free deck chairs for you to laze about on the beach. The hotel has amazing food at the restaurant however my boyfriend and friend both got very bad food posioning but it was hard to know whether they were sick from dinner at the Ark bar or lunch from somewhere else as I know it can take a while before you become sick. The staff at the hotel were very average, they were blunt and seemed unhappy. The hotel itself was very average, we were originally put in room B1 which is right next door to the stereo and bar. I understand that it is a party hotel that is why we stayed there, however the noise was so unbearable we had to change rooms. They moved us 5 doors down, it was better but not great. The rooms are very basic and small. I would recommend coming here for the bar and beach atmosphere however stay elsewhere and come for the fun.

Room Tip: Don't not stay in B1 or any of the rooms in B area if you can as it can be very noisy all night...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The hotel itself was not too bad, fairly good value for money. Unfortunately the room smelt of sewage and drains most of the stay. I had a room downstairs on the front of the property on the main thoroughfare between the main road and the beach. I asked to move but was told that there were no other rooms available (I stayed for 5 nights, pre booked and paid therefore couldn't afford to move hotel). Sadly this was meant to be a treat after 2 months of traveling alone, to a hotel for of parties and good times. Unfortunately the vibe from the other hotel guests was quite hostile, I witnessed several fights on the hotel grounds that were not broken up or reported by staff despite the 24 hour reception. I was harassed a lot of the time by groups of men trying to flirt with me, and felt quite unsafe as one man decided to follow me home and tried to get in the door. When I called reception for assistance no one picked up the phone despite it being manned. The hotel was noisy 24 hours a day, at night by the constant bass and then fights and drunken revellers, then at 8am there was building work, and incessant cleaners on Walkie talkies screaming at each other whilst relaxing on a chair right outside my room. I really felt let down as I had very different expectations of the quality of the hotel, the helpfulness of the staff, the proximity of the room to the main thoroughfare and the general feeling around the hotel, which I found to feel unsafe and threatening with no security or intervention from staff. I've stayed at other 'party hotels' where the combination of sleeping and partying has been achieved much more effectively.. Overall a big disappointment, would not recommend to any other female travellers going it alone. Seems to be a good place for a lads group holiday for a week.

Room Tip: If you can get one high up and away from the beach they are quieter, however staff do not appear to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank CharlieS47
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

In relation to what you pay, awesome place to stay. Young people from every where in the world, really good parties almost everyday, cheap cocktails, good breakfast and excellent location. Highly recommend..

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The resort is kept clean. The rooms are well priced, cheap when you consider the level of service provided. Try and book your stay on a Wednesday or Friday, those are the nights with the famous beach parties.

Room Tip: All the 1st floor rooms are walk in threw sliding glass doors. Next time I would ask for a 2nd floo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Picture Perfect with the whole atmosphere this place creates .
They have enough staff to manage the place and their efficiency is to be admired .
I was daring enough to take the room right in-front of the main pool , however no regrets as the noise did not affect us and we had the best view .
We enjoy the Bucket Drinks .. lost count how many we had .
The food is decent but would be nice to have a buffet for breakfast , perhaps it was due to low peak .
The evenings was well entertained with the Fire Shows and everyone getting to know each other
The location of the hotel is the best , its accessible to good restaurants ,spa's , nightlife & etc .

Highly recommended if you want a lively and fun holiday .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Chaweng Garden Beach Resort
Montien House
Montien House
#69 of 185 in Bophut
First Bungalow Beach Resort

Been to Ark Bar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!