“Be Warned. Dated hotel and horrible customer service”

Ark Bar Beach Resort
Ranked #33 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Melbourne, Australia
“Be Warned. Dated hotel and horrible customer service”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This was my third trip to Thailand in under a year and I made a massive mistake by choosing to stay at Ark Bar.

I had 8 nights booked and check in went smooth. They put me in a room next to the "See though" Pool. Once in my room I was unimpressed from what the photo's on the website looked like and what my room was like. The walls needed painting and the room smelt of the pool. The bathroom was very small and the shower sprayed in every direction, I pretty much had to run around under the shower to try and get wet. You are given 4 towels in your room, 2 big and 2 small. One of the big towel when I got there had stains on it, it looked like it had been washed by the stains had not come out, I didn't think to much of this as there was another towel so I just used that one. Now came night time, before choosing this hotel I knew it was a "Party Hotel" but my room was so close to the DJ's it shook from the bass till 2am.

The next morning I went to front desk so see if there was any other rooms further away that I could get and I was told, you guessed it NO...NO other rooms, even tho I would walk past empty ones back to my room every night.

The kicker for me was on check out. When I was checking out I was told to wait while the maid checks the room, understandable until the maid radios back and tells the counter lady that one of the towel is dirty (The stained one I said before) and I will have to pay for it. After arguments with the manager I was forced to pay a cleaning fee for the towel even tho it was in the room like that.

This hotel would have to be a lot cheaper if you wanted to stay there, think backpackers with a DJ.

I am not jaded by my whole experience I just want to warn others that it could happen to you and there are far nicer hotels on the beautiful island of Koh Samui

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Alwaystravelingsolo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Not the cheapest bar on the island but good music if your up for a night out and the staff are all friendly andhelpful.
Only criticism is the children coming up to you every 2 minutes trying to sell you stuff which doesn't stop from 8-closing time. The same thing happens with men with animals attempting to get you to buy photos with animals. If the staff moved them on it wouldn't matter but they're not bothered and it doesn't make for a relaxing/enjoyable atmosphere.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Connor H
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely modern rooms with powerful showers and a good sized balcony. Hotel is right on the beach with two bars and pools. Amazing fire shows put on, as well as DJs playing over the main pool. Drinks and food from the hotel bars are a bit over priced but overall the stay was worth the money.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

21 + 20 year old on a partying holiday.

Don't make the same mistake we did. You do not need to stay here to go to their beach parties.

Good bits.
*The beach party on Wednesday and Friday is awesome, wasn't much going on the Thursday though.
*Ark bar is a 2 minute walk from the nightclubs. I recommend Green Mango, these didn't start going until the beach party finished at 2am though.
*Free BBQ on beach party days too if you buy a drink.

Bad bits.
*They will not clean your room unless you tell them to, they didn't clean ours once over the whole stay
*The Air con was really poor, the sun penetrated our curtain around 8am every day and we'd both wake up the room would get that hot.
*The drinks in the hotel were ridiculous prices, can definitely see why the owner drives a brand new Lamborghini and a Range rover. It was 700 baht for a Vodka (Absolut) bucket.
*The room is also very expensive for Thailand, it cost us 2000 baht per night for a twin superior room. We got much better value for money in the other places we stayed at.
*On the day of check out (11am), I went to sit at the pool whilst waiting for my friend to come back, I was told that I had to move to the beach because the pool was for hotel guests only, she didn't seem to care when I showed her my name on the list she had. So with 2 backpacks and a suitcase I had to go and sit on the beach and get woken up by the Icecream / sunglass merchants every 5 minutes...

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on an upgrade because it's not worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Mykonos Town, Greece
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was in Koh Samui with my girlfriend and we went at Ark Bar every day drinking coctails in the beach listening great music and relaxing . If you are visiting Koh Samui i am sure that you will visit it .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 4 May 2014

we heard a lot about this hotel and after some romantic location we wanted to blow up some steam!
the room is very nice and had a little terrace .. we want to the pool to see what is everyone is talking about... in the end the music at the pool is very chill out and not realy crazy party style.. plus there big thing is the party at wednesday or saturday... they decorate the beach realy nice but if you will stay there more then 2 days you will see that the playlist is the same...
about the sleeping part it was a nice surprise that we slept like babies ! we didnt here a thing!
in the end you can stay in a different hotel and just come for the party if you realy realy want to be in one .. for my opinion the greenmango is nicer!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I'd heard a lot about this place before arriving, mostly that it's a great party hotel and great atmosphere but I didn't find it to be that great. The Thai staff seem to have been tainted over the years by the class of people that attend the hotel, therefore they do not come across as kind, caring and warm welcoming as you'd imagine in other resorts.

There is a charge against everything in the room (for example; I dropped shower gel onto a hand towel and reception tried to charge me 50 baht for damage, which obviously it wasn't damage!).

The music was disappointing, I'd expected more mainstream dance, vocal funky house rather than the ongoing same beat all day and night.

Aircon in the room wasn't worthwhile and you cannot leave electricity on in the room once you leave and take your key as it runs off of a magnet in the key card. So no way of cooling the room when you're out.

Finally, the pool itself poses danger to it's guests as it isn't fully tiled. Instead, they have opted for a sharp stone surface on the pool seating area and around the edge. Unfortunately myself and my partner both came away with two separate injuries through entering and exiting the pool.

As a whole, the hotel is what you'd expect for a young persons cheap getaway resort. Very regimented and no thrills. I don't want to sound like a misery but I definitely wouldn't stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: Don't get an apartment with a sea view. Music doesn't stop until 2am, so if you're not o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Chaweng Garden Beach Resort
Banana Fan Sea Resort
Banana Fan Sea Resort
#5 of 104 in Chaweng
Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel

Been to Ark Bar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!