“Absolute dump is too kind”

Baan Suan Sook Resort
Ranked #25 of 68 Chaweng B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed here unfortunately for 4 nights and checked out a week early. Cost me 600 euro to change hotel but could not stay another minute.
Location on side of a hill and fronts on to seedy area with nothing around only supposedly fab ice bar which was crap.
15 mins by taxi to main strip.
2 Rooms were small and reasonably clean. No area to sit only outside where you are eaten by mozzys.
Bathroom disgusting and old.
We done all our sightseeing so we would spend as little time as possible there. The pool was a hike up a vertical path and was also dirty or out of action.
The only good thing was the young lad behind reception who was a lovely guy and when we told him we were leaving early he was not surprised and apologised for the state the resort was in.
This place needs a major overhaul to come anywhere near standard of other hotels.
Please don't stay here because it will ruin your holiday.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Alan B

Reviewed 19 July 2013

If you came here expecting luxury you would be dissapionted. Nevertheless for what it costs I think it is good value for money. A lovely pool with some of the best views is very relaxing. The young guy who does nearly everything in the hotel could not be nicer. A small family run hotel with its own character. My wife and I enjoyed it but dont come here expecting a fancy hotel with restaurants and bars etc. It is more suited for those wanting a quite hotel to relax. The villas are very basic but have ecerything you need and are to a clean standard.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jkmrfc
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Baan Suan Sook Resort is situated very close to Chaweng almost opposite the Ice Bar and on the hill below the Kao Hua Jook Pagoda. From the moment I arrived till when I left I found the resort staff to be extremely helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble and any issues were dealt with quickly and efficiently. The villa I had for my 15 nights was spotlessly clean and serviced by the maids who changed the bedding & towels daily. The bed was surprisingly comfortable and the aircon worked to keep the villa cool. There was a safe in the room and nothing went missing during my stay. The water pressure in the shower was a bit low but considering how high my villa was that was not surprising. I was in one of the Lake View villas which was up the hill a bit but I could get most of the way on my moped so very little climbing was involved. The staff were happy to run you up the hill in a jeep if you could not manage the walk. The pool is at the top of the resort but there were steps so getting there was easy enough & well worth the climb. The view from the top was spectacular. Despite being close to the Ice Bar & the Q Bar the resort was fairly quiet. You can hear the traffic on the road and during November for the festival of Loi Krathong they set up a music stage by the lake so you get some noise from that. As the airport is just over the hill you can also hear the planes taking off. Chaweng is close enough to walk to in 15 minutes and there are shops, restaurants and laundries close by. Hiring a moped from the resort was easy and the bike I had was nearly new. As it is quite central, exploring the island was easy. I am happy to recommend Baan Suan Sook Resort to everyone. I really enjoyed my stay there and would certainly be very happy to stay there again when I return to Samui.

Room Tip: if walking is an issue ask for a villa lower down the hill, they are cheaper too.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Simon C
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We arrived and were shown to our bungalow which was the 2nd one up from the restaurant. The room was clean and the AC worked well. We did not use the restaurant but we did help ourselves to beers from the cooler anytime we wanted (honor system). When we went for a swim, the climb was a long and steep one but we were rewarded with a great view of the ocean (very distant) and the bay.
They do rent scooters which make getting to the beach and the nightlife easier.

Overall, the price was around 1000 THB for the room and the service was fine. We would recommend this place to our friends if they don't mind being away from the beach and the nightlife.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chocolatemonkee
Reviewed 29 April 2012

dont stay at baan suan sook the owners are typical thai liars the lady at the reception her name is toy {mia noi} is a liar she will quote you a price then give you a much larger bill when you check out and the state of their accomodation is a disgrace also the cleaners will steal what ever you leave in your room

Room Tip: no rooms are good
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank pattarasuda m
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I choose this hotel as it was one of the only hotels that i could find in the UK that could sleep 4 people and was available on specific dates.

I travelled alone, but was meeting 3 of my friends who were already on Samui, hence needing to book in advance.

I was the first of our group to arrive and the guy on reception was so helpful and friendly. He drove me up the steep hill to our bungalow and showed me where the pool was etc.

When i entered our bungalow the size astounded me - it was huge and the beds were too, i was pleasantly surprised. My sister and her friends arrived shortly after and had been staying in some very basic accomodation and so were very pleased with our room.

It was clean, tidy, comfortable and a lovely start to our time together.

The swimming pool.....................well.....................it is truly amazing. The views from the pool are gorgeous!!! The pool is at the top of a steep hill (the guy from reception drove us up!!) but the walk would have been worth it! It is set almost in woodland and you can hear the monkeys playing in the trees whilst looking out across Samui, Chaweng and the gorgeous beach - true paradise! The food on offer at the pool was tasty and good value too.

The guy on reception took us into Chaweng and picked us up, he was a real gem!!

Overall, an awesome stay - highly recommended

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Katielou28
Reviewed 4 November 2011

After a lot of scoping on hotels in Chaweng, I finally decided to choose this place as it suited my tight budget and taste.
The rooms are housed in bungalow style accommodation and have a nice terrace/balcony area where all our pre parties took place. The balcony/terrace area could easily accommodated six people. The room (bungalow deluxe sea view) itself was okay with an okay bathroom (with no bathtub). The hand shower had to be used as a normal over head shower by placing it in a fixed holder. The water pressure was bad and I opted to have a bucket bath instead. Our room had an amazing view of the sea, town and beach which were at a distance but it’s not the same with all rooms. I didn't find the air-conditioner all that effective. Mini bar was also provided in the room.
The property is on a hillock with a tropical setting, so getting to your rooms is a pain if you decide to walk due to unavailability of a drop from the hotel's reception area. It is worse if your room is somewhere on top of the property. The hotel's infinity swimming pool, which is a hard 10-15 min uphill walk from the reception area as its right on top, is just awesome with amazing views. Anyone would love to take a dip here and admire the views from the edge of the pool. The hotel doesn't have a gym.
The hotel's biggest asset was Phoo, the hotel manager & part owner. Always smiling and always ready to fulfil your request. He dropped us to the beach area anytime we wanted and picked us up as well, arranged us scooters & a tour to Angthong marine park and also dropped us to our rooms from the reception area several times without a problem. Room service was good and the hotel arranged food & drinks from outside as we had requested for items that wasn't available with them.
The breakfast is simple and comprised of eggs, sausages, baked beans, toast and juice. It wasn't a buffet type breakfast which is otherwise common in Thailand.
I would recommend this hotel to all. Not for the people who want to be close to the beach (it’s a 15 min walk or 5 min in scooter from hotel) and famous Chaweng nightlife.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KSRocks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Rich Resort Beachside Hotel
#9 of 68 in Chaweng
Chaweng Noi Resort
Chaweng Noi Resort
#41 of 68 in Chaweng

Been to Baan Suan Sook Resort? Share your experiences!