“Don't stay here!!!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chaweng
Chaweng Beach Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

I spoke to Dolly on the phone before making my reservation and she seemed nice but a bit too chatty. I should have known something was suspicios when she told me she lost the keys of the place and that she didn't know what say it was.

I get to chaweng beach at around 9 and I call her because I was getting nervous about getting off at the wrong stop. She doesn't know any of the landmarks and her instructions were unclear. She then tells me to get off at a guesthouse and wait for the manager to come get me.

I meet the manager and he drives us down the road a little bit into an alley. Then we go upstairs. Once upstairs, I finally meet dolly and she said she didn't have my reservation. I had an emAil confirmation with her. So she tells me it doesn't matter and shell book me in. She still didn't know what day it was and only one person was checked in. Then she was telling me about the Samui mafia and how it is dangerous here. She takes me to the room and tells me there is a cabinet to put my stuff but I should give her any valuables to put in the safe. I was uncomfortable with that since I read the reviews beforehand about theft. I told her that I expected a locker and she started being rude and asking what things I had to hide and if I was a spy. I immediately said I didn't want to stay there and gave the key back. She freaked out and was starting to demand that I pay for the motorcycle ride...50 baht. Even though it was 10 second ride... The new manager apologized profusely and said to ignore her request. But we were locked in the hostel and his keys didn't work. Dolly was yelling at him from above and after trying 3 keys, I was able to run away.

Don't touch this place with a ten foot pole!!! There are other guesthouses!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank periwinklehue

Reviewed 2 June 2012

I stayed here one night. I took one look and wanted to leave, but my travel buddy thought it was cheap and I didn't want to argue. We were only staying in Ko Samui for 2 nights anyway. Needless to say we checked out the next morning. The place is a dump. They were renovating and I am willing to overlook a lot of the mess, but the bathroom is awful. The water smells bad and the shower is just a trickle. The 8 bed dorm has no AC, so doors are open all night to keep the temperature at a reasonable level, however very loud music from across the street is playing all night long. And you're a feast for mosquitos. And then there's the little things: The door doesn't lock normally but has a large padlock which wasn't very convinient to handle from the outside.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and find a better place to stay.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Just a couple minutes from the beach, and the shopping street, the Backpacker, is hospitable the manager is great and friendly, got access to WiFy and a computer for free, help youself with soft drink or coffee and pay on your departure day. Only 8 beds in the commun dormitory and 4 other beds in a separated room, 2 toilets and showers. All beds are supplyed with electric fans.

Room Tip: make sure you book before , it is so cheap for Kho Samui accommodation, the bed are demanded.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!
EVERYTHING!!! was horrable the water comes out of the taps yellow... bugs in the beds, walls and bathrooms.. We paid for 4 nights online but when we arrived wanted our money back but the women owner refused so we left without it but stayed one night..... this night i saw thi owner women looking through other guests bags... next weeks i saw a reveiw on hostelworld that laptops, credit cards, cash and other items had been taken... understand you get what you pay for but seriously there are much better places for same price....
Heres some other comments from Hostel world...

Perhaps the atmosphere when there are other people staying here makes up for the poor facilities (the grim bathroom, many fans and internet broken) but as I was staying here seemingly alone, I wouldn't come back unfortunately. Location however is good for beach, certainly for the price

This was satans closet! Don't stay here, am pretty sure ow\ner stole items in the night when we were away, wasnt there for reception so he still has my deposit. unclean, bugs spiders, litter everywhere, dont know when it was last cleaned.

This was one of the worst hostels I've stayed during my 5 month trip. The toilet and shower were absolutely horrible. They said that they will renovate it soon, but I doubt it. I wanted to check out at 8am, but nobody was there. So I didn't get my deposit back. I would not recommend staying here.

Please don't stay here. 3 of us were robbed on the last night, money, camera's, laptops, credit cards. The host's response was awful, a few minutes after i told him, i saw him on facebook?! His cat bled all over the cushions, the showers water was yellow and smelt bad. One day the door was wedged open, we walked in, dropped some stuff off, got changed and left without being seen once. no surprise we were robbed. Talking to other travelers, i found out people have been here robbed before!

Good luck if you wish to stay here....

Room Tip: Dont stay here...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here from the 19th to 24th March 2012 whilst backpacking through S.E Asia after finding it advertised on hostel world. Before we booked our stay here we researched it online via tripadvisor and hostel world. Both sites confirmed that the hostel had all of the facilities that we were looking for, Clean but basic and for the price that's all we required as we didn't plan to stay in the hostel due to the fantastic beach here. Another reason that convinced us to stay here was that our research found that it was a great place to meet other travellers, So we booked for 5 nights. I'm disappointed to say that our time at the hostel wasn't what we expected as the beds and rooms were very dirty and the bathrooms were a disgrace. They smelt awful and the water from the taps and shower was brown. A sign on the door apologised for the state of the bathroom and that they were waiting for decorators to come but they didn't know when??? As well as this we were the only people here for 4 days. Other people did come to take a look but left straight away. Tent the hostel manager was really friendly and helpful however he never seemed to tidy or clean the place. In all we were totally misled by all the comments and advice on the Internet. The hostel would probably be a lot more accommodating if it was cleaned thoroughly and made it a bit more welcoming. We did look to go elsewhere however this is was the cheapest hostel we could find and that had any vacancies. The only other accommodation we could find was over our budget. Chewang beach is a lovely place with excellent nightlife however it is now more of a traditional holiday resort not really suited for backpackers due to it being overpriced compared to other places in Thailand.

Neil, England

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I just returned from a 2 night stay at this backpackers and was very pleased overall. The hostel is small, and has a bathroom to share between 10 people. the rooms are kept very clean, and although it is very basic you get what you pay for. Ten the owner is lovely, very friendly and helpful and made the stay very enjoyable. I met many other travellers in the hostel so it is a great place to stay if y ou are travelling alone. There are shops/bars just outside, and the main clubs etc are about a 10-15 min walk away. The beach is a 5 min walk away. I would definintely stay here again. You can probably find your own room for a similar price, but if you are looking to meet other travellers then this is the place to be.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Absolutely loved staying here. Only two rooms in the hostel , which means everyone has a chance to get to know each other. I met some really great people, and everything is so close it was easy for us to get around. Beach is only a two minute walk away, and there is a nice chill out area that we used to watch dvds. Loved the pet cat and dog as well!

• Stayed: September 2011