“Worth the money”

Ranked #16 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Sunshine Coast Qld
“Worth the money”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was our first visit to Koh Samui and we are glad that we booked into this hotel. Being in our 60s we were looking for a bit of comfort and we certainly got it at this hotel, rooms were big and comfortable, food was good, pool area was great especially after a hot day walking around.
As for staff we could not fault, they had great personalities and nothing was a problem as to looking after anything you required, they are a credit to the management of the hotel and we would like to say a special hello to Tik,Oh,Aya
Hope to return next year

Room Tip: Pick the rooms on the 3rd floor, more to the middle of the building
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_MercureSamui, General Manager at Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear EasyPleased61

We would like to thank you for choosing Mercure Samui Chaweng as your accommodation choice during your recent visit to Thailand and for taking the time to write this review. Also, we are delighted to read that you had an comfortable stay and enjoyed our hotel facilities and service.

Your comments regarding to our staff service have been shared with the team especially to Tik, Oh and Aya and made them very proud and encouraging us to strive for every day. We hope to welcome you back when your travel return to Samui again.

Looking forward to have a chance to welcome you again for your next visit in Samui

Nalinee Krisadavivat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I guess if I'm reviewing a hotel a fourth time there's not really too much to add to my other 3 reviews.

The hotel in my opinion is one of the best value for money hotels in Chaweng. Near enough to walk to the busier parts of town but far enough away to get a good nights sleep.

A few minutes walk from the beach with all the required coveniences like 7/11's, currency exchange and laundry service only a few steps away on the main beach road.

I still think at 210 baht the buffet breakfast is good value, it may not have the wider selection some of the bigger resorts have but there's enough there to keep you going all day.

My only gripe is a common one, the wifi seems to be in need of an upgrade, both my Samsung tablet & iphone continually struggled to stay connected, continually needing input to reconnect. An upgrade is required to keep people happy.

All up, another happy stay for me, I will return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Mr. Matt

We would like to thank you for choosing Mercure Samui Chaweng as your accommodation choice during your recent visit to Thailand and for taking the time to write this review. Also, we are delighted to read that you came to our property 4 times already and still had the same comfort.

With your valuable comment regarding to the Wifi, I have already contacted the Internet outsource provider to fix the problem of log in and out and now the problem is fixed.

Thank you once again for being loyalty with us and looking forward to welcome you back again soon in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We could not say anything but good things about the Mercure. It was very reasonably priced, rooms adequate, clean, smiling and hard working staff. Particularly Na at front reception - very efficient and helpful. Would recommend and we ended up booking again towards the end of our trip.. which i think says it all!!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Rachel

We would like to thank you for choosing Mercure Samui Chaweng as your accommodation choice during your recent visit to Thailand and for taking the time to write this review. Also, we are delighted to read that you had an comfortable stay and enjoyed our service.

Your comments regarding to our staff service have been shared with the team especially to Na and made they very proud and encouraging us to strive for every day. We hope to welcome you back when your travel return to Samui again.

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Love this hotel so much. Spent 4 nights here. Cosy room, good size, comfortable bed, nice bathroom, friendly staff who were very helpful and check in was simple and easy. The room we got was very peaceful. Swimming pool not big, but just nice for us to chill a bit in the morning or after a long day out.

Location of hotel is a bit off the main area but its more peaceful especially night time. Takes between 20-30 mins (walk) to get to Central Festival or main area of Chaweng, but along the way can check out many shops. From hotel to beach, 3 mins walk. We felt that the beach and sea water on this end is cleaner (just out opinion).

A little travel agency just opposite the hotel makes it easy to book island hopping trips and even rent a bike.

Also, a nice simple restaurant/ coffee shop (no air-con) (forgot the name, but it have wooden chairs and blue and white table cloth) nearby which serves nice local thai food at a good price.

7-11 is also nearby for our daily needs of beer, ciggies, water and must have spaghetti.

There are also several shops near-by to buy the must have singlets and a trendy new bikini at a cheap price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I'm currently staying in this hotel, and I'll start by explaining that I've been to Ko Samui, specifically Chaweng, 6 times prior to this trip. This hotel has exceeded all of my expectations, and has been much better than any hotel I've stayed at before : Chaweng Gardens Beach, Al's Hut, Al's Resort, etc.

In Chaweng, most people like to party. If that's what you want, there is plenty for you here, but personally, I'm past that! I therefore wanted all the best things of Samui (nice beaches, good food, shopping) but with a good night's sleep. That matters to me, probably my priority on a holiday anywhere. I'm low maintenance and am easy about where I stay, but regardless, all places must have 2 things in common: letting me have a good sleep, and being clean. This hotel did both!

I arrived at the hotel at around 8am. Check in is, I believe, at around 2pm, but the hotel was able to let me - free of charge - check in early, which was much appreciated after having travelled for nearly 24 hours. I was assisted with carrying my bags by a smiley, nice and polite gentleman, who opened the door to an airy, spacious, breezy room, with a huge and very clean bed and bathroom. I was happy with this and as I was so tired, just changed and fell asleep. However, 2 hours later, I was awoken to loud screaming and yelling. I managed to fall back asleep but this kept recurring. It was quite disorientating, as you can imagine, so after this happened around 6 times, I went down to reception and asked if I could have a room that was quieter as I needed desperately to sleep. They said that the neighbours that I had were 3 small children (??) and that it was no problem; I could move there and then. I was happy about this as I was still absolutely exhausted and really jetlagged: I just needed to sleep. The room they gave me was far superior to the one I had left: it had a balcony and was far quieter. This was on the second floor, room 226. The bed was huge: again, it was really clean, and the A/C was good. I was not disturbed by noise again.

The pool is very pretty and there are lots of beds there. I preferred the beach ( just because I like the sea ) but the pool is very nice. The staff are really friendly and anything that you want, they'll give you. I dislike green tea and prefer English breakfast, and they remembered this and put this in my room every morning, which was thoughtful and much appreciated. I also accidentally locked my lock keys in my case, and they sent a staff member up with plyers to open it right away. He was very smiley and cheery about this, and opened it expeditiously.

Everyone who works here is really nice. The rooms have great A/C and really good hot water - both things I found to be lacking somewhat on previous visits in previous places. Best of all though, I think, is the location. I've read reviews bemoaning the location but if you want a good sleep, stay in this end of Chaweng. It's not far at all - literally a ten minute walk, if even that, from the centre, which is horribly busy! Here, you are near enough to still have everything at your doorstep, but far enough for it to be peaceful, which in my eyes means more. If you are a party-lover, this maybe isn't the place for you, but if you are past that stage and just want a reasonably-priced, clean, reasonable and friendly hotel, then you could do much worse than choosing this one.

Also, I booked this I'm advance. When I was checking in, 2 girls came in and asked how much it was for the night and it was a lot more than what I paid. So go onto Mercure's website and get the pre-booking deal as it's definitely worth it. I think I paid around £200 for 6 nights, whereas the hotel was wanting quite a bit for one night on the spot.

I'd definitely stay here again. I like the fact that they took my need to sleep seriously when I was so jetlagged, when other places might not have done, and that they always did things with a smile. The staff are really nice.

Room Tip: ask for one off the main road so you can have a better sleep.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Manager_MercureSamui, General Manager at Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Enchantedprincess

Thank you for choosing to stay at Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana and taking your time to write the comment about us.

we are delighted to read that you like the hotel location, had comfortable stay especially staff service. l.It is always encouraging to learn that guests are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for every day. We all look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Koh Samui.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed in April for a few nights. The hotel is situated at the Southern end of Chaweng beach, away from the nightlife. There is a 7-11 convenience store a minute walk away, about 5 restaurants within a minutes walk, and the beach is only a few minutes walk away.

The room was nicely decorated and cleaned every day.

The hotel has a couple bad things about it. First, there are 2 buildings immediately (3 meters away) in front of the majority of the hotel rooms. Sometimes the people in those buildings hang their dirty laundry out the windows and if my arms were a little longer I could probably touch that laundry.

Second, I saw one of the hotel maids hang a bunch of towels to dry on a bamboo fence along side the road (close to a little river). I'm all for saving electricity, but when the cars and motorbikes drive along that road, it kicks up a lot of dust and the towels become dirty. So in effect, the towels in my room are probably not as clean as I would have thought.

Room Tip: The rooms near the reception have a nice view out the front door, but the ones near the end of the h...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Pierre B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
OZO Chaweng Samui
ibis Samui Bophut
#47 of 187 in Bophut
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,491 reviews
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui

Been to Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel? Share your experiences!